Boy Meats World: Super Meat Boy Mega-Patch

By Alec Meer on April 4th, 2011 at 10:30 am.

I am scared of Super Meat Boy

There are now over 500 levels in bastard-hard platform gem Super Meat Boy. Over 500. This absurd milestone has been reached as a result of a dramatic new update, known in continually Nintendo-prodding fashion as Super Meat World. It’s free, it was added to the game on Saturday, and it consists of a slew of new official levels and even more of a slew of approved third-party levels for the blood-smearing jumpy-runny game.

As observed by young Quintin earlier, the game’s had 50% knocked off its price as part of Steam’s potato-related shenanigans, so now’s a fine old time to pick it up if you haven’t already. And you can spend the saving on a gamepad, which you honestly, definitely, really would be better off with for this game, despite whatever WASD militancy you may possess.

Team Meat are promising further big-ass updates down the line – specifically the long-awaited level-editor, and the rather joyous prospect of a random level generator. This means you can be punished for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and

, , .

Monchberter says:

No more excuse for you meat dodgers out there!

• Loix says:

You mean apart from the fact I hate platformers and don’t believe repeating the same level over and over and over again until it becomes muscle memory is fun?

• Stephen Roberts says:

As much as I love this game, I feel similar to Loix when I play hell and further. Two opinions!

• Wulf says:

I gave it a shot, but the humour is pretty anti- to my humour and that began to grate on my nerves after a while, so I decided to stow it away and go play something else, which is a shame because it does seem fun. Just… the humour doesn’t appeal to me. I have barriers of crass and that steps over it. Plus I have a mild phobia of excesses of blood, so there’s that too.

It’s a good game, but I just wish I could switch it to a mode where the humour was designed by someone else entirely, so that I could actually enjoy it. It’s actually pretty much the setting, style, and humour that made this game inaccessible to me. Though I had a feeling that I’d find myself incompatible with it after the intro screen that told me that I absolutely should be using a pad – no ifs, ands, or buts.

This is, for me, one instance of where really crass humour ruins a game. I love humour, as folks have no doubt seen me say countless times, but I prefer intelligent humour. Stranger’s Wrath is a nice example of that. This though is lowest common denominator humour and I just cannot get into it no matter how hard I try. Which is a shame.

I know there’s a good game lurking in there somewhere, I know there is, but I can’t work past how it seems to be an idiotic flash game designed by younguns on the surface. I’ve played games on Newgrounds which haven’t made my brain twitch as much.

(And I won’t make any pretenses about this being anything other than my own failing, either. I’m letting my sensibilities get in the way of me enjoying a good game. I do that whenever a game tries to force me to kill virtual wolves, too. There are some places that I, personally, just cannot go. This game has touched upon one of them. But I’m glad it’s there for those that like it.)

• Gildon says:

Damn, Wulf. The humor is such an irrelevant, tiny part of this game. Just play the levels!

• The Innocent says:

@ Wulf

Blood? I thought it was deep and zesty marinara sauce.

• Wulf says:

A little empathy wouldn’t go amiss. Like I said, there are some places I just simply cannot go, and this game has touched upon one of them. If the visual design of the game had been handled by someone else, then I’d probably not have a problem with it, but there are things there that I just can’t stand watching as the game goes on. I am squeamish, yes, and I really can’t help that.

Not everyone should be the same, nor should we, for that would result in a very dull world indeed. Not everyone can like everyone, nor should they have to, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t recognise that it’s a great game, just a great game for other people. Surely you two have some games you can’t bring yourself to play, and if you take a look at why, then you might find the aforementioned empathy.

If I have to feel distinctly uncomfortable to play a game, I’ll just pass. And the reason for that is entirely in the humour. There are just some things that I don’t want to joke about. Even if the humour is just a tiny, irrelevant part of the game, it’s still present and I still have to sit through it. And there’s no ‘turn off humour’ button present – and that I’d have to ask for one just tells me of how incompatible I am with this sort of thing.

It’s great that you like it. I can’t. And that’s my fault, not the game’s.

2. LlamaNL says:

Also part of the Portal 2 ARG

• 4026 says:

I love how it looks like he was just cut-off mid-comment. Like he was mauled by a lion or something.

Or the legendary Black Beast of aaauuugh…

3. J. says:

Random level generator? More like chapter generator (out of randomly selected pre-made levels).

4. limbclock says:

I got this for the Xbox. Then i got it via Steam. Yeah.

• J. says:

Same here, got the golden god on xbox, but the latest patch breaks the Steam version so I can’t even get to chapter 6. Meanies!

5. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

ever.

6. MikoSquiz says:

I found SMB easier with WASD than the gamepad cross-thingy. (Analog thumbstick was totally impossible, of course.)

• Tatourmi says:

The analog thumbstick is actually damn comfortable, and nobody ever used the cross thingy of the xbox pad, which sucks quite hard.

• dr.castle says:

Yeah, the D-pad on the xbox360 controller is trash, which makes it not so good for games like SMB. If you can scrounge up an old PS2 controller, PS2–>USB adapters are available and cheap online. The PS2 controller is pretty solid (with a good D-pad), so coupled with Xpadder it’s a nice solution for the spate of indie platformers we’ve had recently.

• Sigma Draconis says:

For those that dislike the X360′s D-Pad (plenty of you), it should be pointed out that you can actually use a PS3 DualShock 3 with Super Meat Boy instead.

These MotioninJoy drivers can have a DS3 connected to your PC emulate an Xbox 360 pad so that the game detects it. http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

It’s simple enough to set up and there’s almost no issues past that point.

• Kdansky says:

The Dualshock doesn’t have a great D-Pad either: Who came up with the idea to make it into four disjoint buttons which are uncomfortable on your thumb? Seriously?

On the other hand, a keyboard with n-key-rollover (DAS Ultimate?) works great too. Though I player SMB on the 360 pad, I have to admit.

WombatDeath says:

I’m not a WASD militant, I just can’t use a fucking gamepad. Putting a gamepad in my hands is like forcing a drunken octogenarian to use a supermarket self-checkout facility: you’re wasting everyone’s time and you’ll probably end up with piss on the floor.

8. Teddy Leach says:

“Over 500.”

*Stares.*

9. BrendanJB says:

I went through 1/4 of the game without realizing you could use the triggers to run hahah
    I had such a sore thumb from constantly holding down the run button.

Some games just feel better when you play them with a controller. I usually play most third person games, platformers/retro games and racing games with a controller. Driving games are especially disassociating on the PC due to there being no pressure sensitivity in most keyboards. Systems like in GTAIV are all well and good, turning speed increases the longer you hold down the key, it doesn’t provide that instantaneous feedback that an analog stick does.

Well I sure did just rant. Oh well, I’ve written it now.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Really? Wow, I finished the game and I didn’t know that. Plus, I played it with the 360 D-pad no less. I guess I took more punishment than just playing the damned levels <_<

• Calneon says:

It’s impossible to finish some levels without using the triggers.

10. kyrieee says:

Just as i got 100%…
    More levels to chew through =)

11. Eclipse says:

“And you can spend the saving on a gamepad, which you honestly, definitely, really would be better off with for this game, despite whatever WASD militancy you may possess.”

Am I the only one that really plays better with cursors + ZX ? Maybe it’s because I’m left handed…

• ananachaphobiac says:

Well I’m left handed and I don’t do that.

Clearly you’re a witch of some kind and must be burned by reactionary peasents!

Or have I unwittingly betrayed the left-handed brotherhood?

• Shroom says:

A witch you say? Quickly someone get a large pair of scales and a duck…we’ll soon settle this matter…

• adonf says:

Left-handed here too. I play with the cursor keys and curse when the developers only allow WASD (also WASD is silly on my non-QWERTY keyboard)

• Zyrxil says:

It’s not like the game has analog function, so a gamepad just seems pointless. A smushy dpad does not help with precision platforming.

• Waltorious says:

You are not alone, Eclipse! I also do much better with the arrow keys and Z (I use SHIFT for run). Part of this may have come form practicing many similar games with my keyboard (N, the Jumper series, etc.), but I do really like having more instant control over the directional keys. With a gamepad I would have to move my thumb in order to switch from left to right, but with the arrow keys I can switch much faster since I have a finger on each key already.

I also find it easier to hold the run key while hitting the jump key on a keyboard, since I have two fingers for them. With just my thumb on a gamepad that would be a bit harder.

I’m sure some people have trained on gamepads a lot and would do better with them, though.

12. Lobotomist says:

Kudos – best game ever !

13. zergrush says:

Personally, I got better results out of it with an arcade stick than with a pad.

14. Eukatheude says:

How long does the steam offer last?

Rinox says:

SMB is -imho- a piece of trash. It’s one of the only games I bought in recent years that I absolutely despised. It pulls so many lame ass tricks on you to increase its duration, when it could have been a perfectly good game without them. It’s supposed to be a return to retro form, without any savepoints in levels (some of the later ones are very long), but apparently Team Meat didn’t really understand that there is a freaking reason games aren’t like that anymore: because it’s bad design.

I recently bought a megadrive Shinobi game on Steam, and guess what? Yep, it also has no savepoints, pulls cheap tricks and kills you easily, but the emulator that comes with the game has a built-in quicksave function! Sega got it. Team Meat did not.

And yes, I did finish the game after some of the most frustration-filled hours of my life (or I wouldn’t be writing this), but I immediately uninstalled. I would have burned the CD if I had a physical copy. :-/ What’s the appeal of making me do the same 80% of a long level over and over and OVER again just so I can try the tough last 20% once every few times? At least let me start somewhere halfway and don’t waste my time redoing the same 80% I’ve proved like 30 times I could do. Ugh.

SPOILER ALERT:

And then, the final level: I finish the part where I kill Dr. Fetus, get the cutscene and get the a whole new level where I have to escape with Bandage Girl. I try it a few times, and upon death start back at the beginning of that level – ok. I want to do something else for a moment, so I exit the game, expecting that my last savepoint would be the escape level. After getting no warning, I quit. Boot up SMB later on, and I have to do the entire part against Dr. Fetus again first. Ughhhh then TELL ME THAT BEFORE I QUIT YOU ****** GAME.

I apologise sincerely for being an AIM here. But I hated the game, s much. :-(

• J. says:

…the final level? I do hope you finished Cotton Alley, too.

• Justoffscreen says:

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Clearly you liked it, or else you wouldn’t have played it to “completion”. Why are you lamenting the lack of quicksave? The levels are short enough to not need one at all by design, and would have made the game entirely too easy. You do know the whole point of the game is that it is advertised as hard, right?

And yes, having that two-parter be two distinct levels on the menu screen would have been appropriate, no argument there, that is essentially the only instance of that issue. I think they did that because of spoilers, pretty much.

It sounds like you are damning the whole game for a relatively minor problem at the end. Also if you don’t like it, stop playing it. It’s called a game, it’s supposed to be fun.

• squareking says:

SMB is unabashedly, unapologetically a retro platformer, meaning there are going to be leagues of people who enjoy the very elements you despise. I’m not a die-hard retro fan, but I feel the need to speak up for the sadists out there. I view cheap deaths and ‘bad design’ (ie no quicksaves, etc) as integral to the challenge of certain games. Overcoming those challenges is essentially a built-in achievement system — trudging through without padding (ie quicksaves, etc) makes the victory even better, I believe.

I understand we’re arguing opinion here, and ‘bad design’ is always subjective, but…I dunno what I’m trying to get at here, really. I would argue that the reason more games aren’t like this isn’t an overall design choice but the desire to make a game more accessible.

yadda blah etc.

Rinox says:

@ Justoffscreen

Well, the catch is that if I hadn’t finished the game no one would have allowed me to criticise it, so I kinda had to. ;-) Also, I’m a completionist. I try to finish games I start, even if I don’t like them all that much. In SMB’s case, it was more of a “I’LL SHOW YOU’ against the game. I know it all doesn’t sound very mentally healthy, but hey.

I disagree on the shortness of the levels and not needing quicksave, clearly. Well, I didn’t need quicksave as much as some intelligent savepoints. Like I said above, can anyone tell me the added value of replaying the same 80% of some levels over and over to get to do the tricky final 20% until I get it? I’m not claiming I’m great at SMB (if I were, my frustration may have been severely lessened) by any means, but I’m sure almost everyone here struggled in some of the levels, redoing the same part again and again. A simple savepoint in the longer ones would have saved me so much frustration.

I may have exaggerated a little bit in my first post, since I liked the music and art and look of the game. But the gameplay…I hated the gameplay. I didn’t even mention some of the insane monsters and Meat Boy’s strangely inaccurate jumps (on gamepad). I just…didn’t like it. And don’t get the love for it. I don’t mind it being hard. I mind it being frustrating and repetitive.

@ J. no, I did not. I didn’t know there was an extra world after ‘saving the princess’. I’m not going back now though. =)

Rinox says:

@ Squareking
      I suppose you’re right. Still, I absolutely adored VVVVVV, which isn’t easy either (and I got all the trinkets etc). What that did so differently than SMB though was to give you the challenge AND cut out redundant playtime (redoing parts of levels over and over) with the ubiquitous savepoints. For me that was the best of both worlds. As a self-proclaimed sadist, whatcha think of VVVVVV’s system? Just wondering.

Maybe I’m just getting old, I dunno.

• choconutjoe says:

@ Rinox:
      Everything you say is true, but that’s also kinda the point. It’s like arguing that FPS games suck because they have too much shooting. It’s not incorrect, it’s just redundant.

• Falcon says:

Rinox, I read all of your first comment (except anything past the spoiler tags) and read the rest in this thread. Because my PC backlog is so huge that while I got a fair way through SMB at the start, I have yet to go back through and complete it.
      I love both VVVVVV and SMB for very different reasons. (I also really enjoy a lot of old school platformers, including the Mega Man series, for some context)
      Yes, the fact that VVVVVV cut out the redundancy was great. You didn’t have to re-do a section that you’d mastered but still could catch you 5-10% of the time and make you fail, and I appreciated that, and it also allowed for the difficulty of some sections to be raised without making the game frustrating.
      The difference with SMB is that entire levels are so well designed that when you’re going full throttle through them, it almost becomes like a dance. The placement of every element in each level is placed exactly where it should be, and sometimes they can even hint at faster ways to get through the level. I find that the game hits its stride the most when you’re trying for that A+ in every level, because that saw blade will be coming down the instant you need to get past it, or that lava flow will be rising at just the right time, etc., and you can see just how much love went in to the level design and the timing and the “flow” of each level. This is a game where you should not be sitting there thinking about how to approach an element; maybe the first time just to figure out exactly how to tackle it (e.g. one of the portal sections so that you know which way you need to exit a portal), but afterward it should be balls-to-the-wall. Quicksaves would break that flow, badly.
      I think quicksave in a game like that would severely cheapen the experience, and the game actually becomes harder when you try and take levels slowly because the timing becomes more difficult. I loved the checkpoints in VVVVVV; in SMB I feel they would be out of place. Even if there are some mind-numbingly difficult portions, they never felt unfair, it was always something that was my fault if something went wrong, and restarting the level is instant. They took out all of the frustration of the old school platformers for me and kept the good parts. (e.g. while I love Mega Man, some of the instant death traps in that series were “unfair”, there was no way you could see them coming until you had played the levels at least once, and levels were much, much longer. Still, the most recent 9 and 10 did a much better job than most games in that series) In a game like VVVVVV, each challenge is a distinct thing, but in SMB the entire level is one long challenge, one “dance”, the level being your dance partner that already knows the moves and executes them perfectly each time, and you working at perfecting every step and getting closer with each attempt.
      Granted, it may not be for everyone and it may just take a certain sort of deranged psyche to enjoy such a thing, but it’s the best I’ve yet seen it executed. While I completely agree with quicksave/load for avoiding tedium or replaying unnecessary sections I feel like that’s been avoided here and hopefully I’ve made my reasoning behind that clear. =) Quicksave belongs in more free-form games where you have a lot of freedom in how to solve each problem and experimentation should be encouraged and not punished. A solid checkpoint system should be in games where there isn’t as much freedom. Each level in SMB is kind of like a checkpoint. And it should also be noted that you don’t even have to complete every level to make it through a world. If one’s too difficult you can skip it and find one that makes you feel less like bashing your head into a wall. I think they tried to strike a balance between people who would just want to make it through the game once, and those of us that would want to A+ each level because we enjoy the platforming aspects so much, and perhaps the experience for the latter is much better because I can’t speak for the former.

• kyrieee says:

So, you didn’t like the game but you forced yourself to play it to the point where you actively despise it?

A quicksave function would ruin the entire point of the game. It’s not a game about being able to hit a jump once, it’s about improving at the game until you can do it all in one go. Some people find that satisfying, but if you don’t that doesn’t mean the design is broken because it does what it’s designed to do brilliantly. It has very few cheap deaths, it’s all about skill.

Also, the jumps aren’t innacurate. Sorry to say it, but if you miss a jump it’s because you messed up, not because of the game. This becomes more obvious as you play through the dark worlds.

• Calneon says:

“can anyone tell me the added value of replaying the same 80% of some levels over and over to get to do the tricky final 20% until I get it?”

The satisfaction you get when you finally complete a level after repeating it 50 times. If you don’t get that satisfaction that then obviously you won’t enjoy the game.

• Xenomath says:

I agree with both sides here.
      Quick saves would ruin the flow and redoing parts of the levels was necessary to get into the flow. I especially liked that most levels got even easier, not harder If you approached them at high speed.
      And of course the levels need a minimum length to get to the feeling of flow.
      That being said, the later levels went too far for me (and others too, obviously).
      The problems were that
      1. the levels got too long
      2. the jumps just got more and more demanding, needing very exact timing
      I don’t know if it was my crappy gamepad or my lame reflexes, but in some of the final levels I had no more than a 50% chance to succeed for some of the jumps, even after I figured them out. A combination of doing about 8 jumps with a 50% chance in a row (do the math), just to get to that last part I haven’t figured out yet, killed my attempt to beat the game. I gave up in the end I have to admit.
      After muscle memory comes muscle fatigue, or tenosynovitis ;)
      In the early and mid levels the game hit a sweet spot but it left it in the end, I fear.

Rinox says:

@ Falcon

Thanks for that well-put answer. I think I may indeed have missed the ‘point’ of the game a little, and I’ll readily admit that.

@ Calneon

I did get satisfaction from beating a level after trying so many times, it just didn’t weigh up to the frustration (that Xenomath also kind of described). ;-) After replaying the first 80% for 50 times, I just wanted to get that over with and get to the last part – so after the 20th time or so I’d get nonchalant and rush and die in places I’d easily beaten before, which frustrated me even more. If that makes sense. But as established above, I probably just don’t ‘get’ it. Which is fine.

@ Kyrieee

Without excluding the possibility of me sucking, I was and am absolutely convinced that there was something off about the controls. I’m not THAT bad a gamer.

Meh. Anyway, I guess I should apologise for the above rant. Maybe the game never was for me and I went a little overboard on it. Still surprised at how much buzz and love the game got in the mainstream then though, as the people who love this level of punishment surely must be a fairly niche crowd? Maybe many who loved it never finished it and were ok with that.

• The Innocent says:

@Rinox.

Yeah, we know you hated it. Because every single time the game comes up, you just can’t help yourself but talk about how you assumed it was going to be a different game.

Why do you like to poop on parades?

Rinox says:

I didn’t know I was only allowed to say positive things about games, oh well. But I’ll promise you that I won’t post about the game next time it comes up.

• The Innocent says:

I apologize. Of course you’re allowed to say negative things. It has nothing to do with allowance, and I didn’t mean to sound that way.

But really, you’ve given the same rant before, and your complaints have been discussed before. Haven’t you ever played a game that you loved, only to have someone who “didn’t get it” come along and complain about how the game wasn’t what they expected? And it was frustrating, because what they expected and the changes they wanted would have messed up the game that you enjoyed at a fundamental level?

• Falcon says:

For what it’s worth, it took me a bit to realize you really should be going full tilt. I was kind of plodding through the levels halfway through level 1 and while it was still fun, it became much more fun after I realized you should just go as fast as you could and just accept that you were going to die over and over.

Also, I found the controls to be extremely precise. The same input resulted in the same outcome every time. Jumps and slides could be expected to happen exactly the same every time as well (e.g. hitting a wall in the middle of a jump and you’d continue to slide upward to the exact height of the normal jump; differences in jump distances between holding run button and not). If that wasn’t the case for you I’d suspect some controller input lag or framerate issues, and that would definitely turn the game into a very frustrating experience as many parts are matters of milliseconds.

Rinox says:

@ The Innocent

Apology accepted, and I’ll in turn apologise for the continued and repetitive rant(s). I have indeed done this a few times before with similar discussions following it. Maybe SMB is my anti-game, like when you have a game that you alone seem to love so much that you know it’s irrational, SMB is the reverse for me. ‘What the heart is full of, the mouth runneth over’ and all that – hearts can be filled with hate, too. ;-)

Looking back, this is perhaps worthy more of a metadiscussion of game system preferences than me ragging on SMB.

• squareking says:

Good lord, I leave for lunch and then this Everest of text pops up?!

@ Rinox, re: VVVVVV: I do think the save system here was spot-on perfect, but it’s not directly comparable with a hypothetical savepoint system in SMB. V is nonlinear and the savepoints are relatively sparse, usually only cropping up at vital progression points, so it still felt like a challenge enough, without being punishing. To be honest, I haven’t played SMB yet (too much of a skinflint, even at 50% off) so I can’t make a call on how its current system works. If you get a save after every stage, I’d say that’s fair enough.

But hey, I’m all for more options in my games. Please just make sure they’re optional. I wouldn’t mind a savepoint system in SMB, but let me decide whether I want it on or off. A good but unrelated example are shmups/scrolling shooters for PC and consoles. If I want to try to clear the game on 1 credit, I can. If I want to see the end of the game, I can.

• Zwebbie says:

I, too, liked VVVVVV a lot, but didn’t care much for Super Meat Boy. I even never got past the second world, so you can’t accuse me of a secretly having liked it!
      I agree that the flow of SMB was really nice when it worked, but it only worked when I went to levels I’d finished before. I imagine it’s a great game if you put the time into it, but I could be learning how to draw in that same time, and that’s much more rewarding.
      In fact, I’d say that Super Meat Boy would do well without death altogether. Dying is as big a stop to the flow as you can imagine. It’s currently a bit like Guitar Hero if it would make you fail completely if you miss a note. And SMB still has the rewards for performing it well to keep that sense of achievement.

Rinox says:

Fail reply – ignore

17. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Look, I can’t play SMB anymore all. I unlearned everything and I’d have to start all over again to relearn it everything all. Okay?

18. The Innocent says:

I for one have been loving this update. Some of the new levels are very well-done, and thankfully they’re of varying difficulty. I haven’t beaten the game (well, not the dark version) because my competitive side is still speed-running the light and dark sides of the first four worlds.

19. Wulf says:

Who wants to bet that this update contains more meat to fill up Valve’s ARG pie?

20. durns says:

Was I the only one who loved VVVVVV but hated SMB? I was trying to work out why, and it may have been something to do with the comparative simplicity of VVVVV – one trick to remember but used in a hundred different ways.

• squareking says:

I freakin’ love the presentation, atmosphere and soundtrack in VVVVVV. I think SMB is brilliantly animated and the setpieces fit the world so well, but I felt oppressed/overjoyed playing V. I’ve only played the first Flash Meat Boy, so I’m missing out and not qualified to speak about SMB, but I’m assuming it’s more of the same with a few neat tricks here and there.

• mral says:

I certainly didn’t hate SMB, but I found it far less enjoyable and charming than VVVVVV. VVVVVV hit a sweet spot for me — it was simple but challenging, satisfying without being soul-destroyingly frustrating, and the presentation was absolutely lovely. SMB’s gameplay didn’t click with me in quite the same way, and the presentation just felt crass and mildly annoying.

21. Deano2099 says:

Are any of these new levels really easy to give a vague sense of accomplishment to us rubbish people, so we can actually enjoy the learning process, rather than have the third level just kill us over and over until we can’t bring ourselves to care anymore?

I’m actually serious, I hit a wall really, really early, but given how many levels they seem able to crank out, would 100 nice and simple training levels really be too much to ask?

• Xocrates says:

The really sad part?

The first 100 levels or so ARE the training. The latter levels will bring grown men to tears and that’s before you try the dark world.

A bit more seriously, Chapter 1 is about as easy as Super Meat Boy gets, and I honestly doubt you could have easier levels without it either getting boring or losing its basic Meat Boyness.

That said the new levels seem to vary from “medium” to “hard”. Though you can always wait a bit more for the level editor, at which point easier levels may start to pop up. (although it seems you may need to get 20 bandages to unlock custom levels)

22. patricij says:

Pfft…Populous II had 1000 levels!

• Veracity says:

The Sentinel had 10,000. Was Populous 2 cheating, as well, or had someone actually looked at all 1,000?