Spider-Man: Edge Of Time Trailer

By John Walker on April 4th, 2011 at 5:35 pm.

He can do a very limited number of things that a spider can.

This weekend saw that announcement of a new Spider-Man game, the second from Activision’s Beenox. Called Edge Of Time, it… it… I’m still trying to get my head around exactly what it’s all about. There seem to be two Spider-Mans, one all angry looking, trying to save each other by manipulating different time lines. See if you can make better sense of what looks like a fun Spidey beat-em-up in the trailer below.

I never played Beenox’s Spider-Man game from last year, Shattered Dimensions, but it sounds even more complex. There there were four realities-worth of Spider-Men, so perhaps only having two of them will make things a bit more clear? It didn’t get stunning reviews, but perhaps it was the warm up for this one? I know I’m really in the mood for a fun, cartoony action game just now. Although I’ll have to wait, as it’s not due until Christmas.

Cheers to Kotaku for SPINNING THE TALE about this one.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Mooedf says:

This looks quite mediocre. And also why do developers insist on releasing trailers on their game when half of their footage lags?

• Springy says:

Because I’d rather they be honest and show us early, unoptimised builds of game play rather than hiring another firm to make some CG ‘in the spirit’ of the game.

• Urthman says:

Why do people insist on saying a game “lags” when they mean that it stutters? “Lag” is a networking term, not something to describe your framerate.

• woodsey says:

I’m pretty sure that’s down to poor animation anyway, not the framerate.

• Zogtee says:

It looks like a solid last-gen game to me.

stahlwerk says:

Isn’t last gen still the current gen? When did next gen become current gen, and what will qualify as current gen next?

• mral says:

By my count, we’re currently in the next-next-ultro-future generation.

• kevnb says:

thats how console games run these days.

2. DigitalSignalX says:

Speaking as very recent graduate fanboy of Batman Akrham Asylum (as in, wtf, how did I miss this amazing game), is the first spider man worth a look-see in the bargain bin?

• Koozer says:

The only Spiderman game is Spiderman 2.

• Zakski says:

SADFACE I was going to say that

• Falcon says:

I’m going to have to agree with Koozer, although I really did enjoy Spider-Man for the PSOne/N64, which apparently also had a PC port. I had more fun just swinging around the city in 2 (that game nailed the swinging mechanics) than I did playing through most of the other games in the series.

Also, do not play the PC version of Spider-Man 2. For some reason they decided to make an entirely different version of the game that had no relation whatsoever to its console brethren, and from what I saw of it, it was decidedly awful.

• DigitalSignalX says:

Oops, I didn’t realize there was more then one previously, So. Spiderman 2, but not on PC? That rules it out then :(

• DrGonzo says:

Spiderman 2 is probably the best spider man, though I personally enjoyed Spiderman 3 more.

• Urthman says:

Ultimate Spider-Man was a very well-done PC port and while the swinging is not as good as Spider-Man 2, it’s quite fun. It has the best story and voice acting of any of the Spider-Man PC games, and the comic book cell-shaded style still looks good. The city is kind of boring and the open-world missions are pretty thin and repetititve, but I found the time trials very engaging and the story missions are pretty good. Playing as Venom — throwing cars, feeding on people for health, jumping like the Hulk — was fun, but the Venom time-trials and missions based on jumping precisely are a real pain.

Spider-Man 3 is not a great port. It has menu and interface issues and performed poorly when it came out. But on a current machine it runs just fine and looks pretty good. The swinging is even more streamlined than Ultimate Spider-Man, so it’s still doesn’t have the great dual-handed control of Spider-Man 2, but it’s more fluid than Ultimate. Again, the time trials are fun, but somehow not as good as Ultimate. The skydiving ones are really lame. The city is more fun to explore, with a surprising number of indoor environments that are used for story-missions but that you can enter at any time, but again the open-world missions are too few and too repetitive.

Spider-Man Web of Shadows has by far the best combat of any of the Spider-Man games.
      Swinging through a mob of enemies and sending them scattering like bowling pins takes a long time to get old. The variety of open-world missions is no better, but because the combat is so much more varied — more web-based and acrobatic, with separate moves and mechanics for fighting on the ground, fighting while sticking to the side of a building, and fighting while airborn, and separate moves for the regular costume and the symbiote costume which you can switch at will. Also a lot more variety in the story missions.

The swinging is even more streamlined than Ultimate and Spider-Man 3, so while still not the kind of satisfying control that Spider-Man 2 had, it’s the most fun and fluid of any of the PC Spider-Man games. It took a lot of flack for not including any time-trials, but I found that trying to collect tokens (which are scattered everywhere) without breaking my stride — aiming your swing to collect the token as you pass through without stopping or doubling back — satisfied a lot of the same itch, but it’s a self-made goal rather than one the game keeps track of for you. The city is the most interesting and varied of the open-world Spidey games, but still nowhere near a GTA game as far as rewarding exploring. There are a few comic-world references to find and it’s a fun playground to swing in.

It’s not a good port performance-wise, but a modern machine can run it just fine. The voice acting, especially Peter/Spidey is painfully bad.

• Zyrxil says:

Um, no. Ultimate Spider-Man did NOT have a good PC port. It was refresh locked to 60hz. It had absolutely terrible performance for the graphics. It had horrendous memory leak issues. It had poor control customization. That’s all the issues of the port, and not just the even-extra-simplified gameplay compared to previous Spider-Man games.

Beenox did all the Spider-Man PC ports and they were all pretty damn bad. It’s a shit studio, and there’s pretty much no hope of them doing anything interesting with the franchise, not that it’s been a beacon of innovation before they took over.

• gwathdring says:

I find it interesting that so many people laud Spiderman 2. I didn’t think Spiderman 2 was all that great, even on the PS2. It had fantastic swinging mechanics, but the city was samey, advancing the storyline required going through boring and extremely repetitive missions, and the story missions you worked towards were sometimes even more tedious despite being more varied. It’s the only Spiderman game I’ve played on any system, so I can’t judge it comparatively. And it really was fun to zone out and just swing. But when you wanted to actually go do something else with the swinging, the options were boring, redundant, or both. There was so little interaction beyond the bare movement mechanics that it doesn’t really count as a sandbox game either. It’s more of a box game; you move around in a pretty, detailed box and have a lot of fun getting from a to b. For me, though, there was little fun to be had at a or b and thus less and less incentive to move around the box as the game wore on.

• Urael says:

As usual I see both sides here – Spidey 2 (I played the Gamecube version) was a tremendous sandpit for being Spidey in. Once you’d upgraded him far enough he was every bit the awesome super-action-hero you’d been reading about since you were five. No other game I’ve played has captured as much of him as that did. Heck, I could even live with Toby Macguire’s lifeless vocals.

However, when the game stopped letting you play and tried to remind you it was a game about a film, that’s when it got a bit frustrating/tedious/etc. It was always much more fun when you were free to swing…

• Birdman Tribe Leader says:

No no the Spider-Man 1 PSOne game was the one that Neversoft put out in 2000, long before the movies. The one where Doctor Octopus and Carnage team up to release symbiotes all over the city. It’s different from the later game also titled Spider-Man 1, which was the first to come out after the movies.

The PSOne game is great (although probably not so much fun anymore). It had a good flow to it, good voice acting, and tons of great cameos. At the time it was one of the best superhero games ever.

• Urthman says:

I played it later on a machine that was more than enough to handle it, so the performance seemed great to me. I certainly don’t need a game to run faster than 60 fps (now the GTA games locked to 30 – that really sucks). I imagine most people picking it up today would be able to run it fine.

What was your problem with control customization? It lets you customize keys and mouse in game (including allowing more than one key to map to a given function, which is a big help in games like this that sometimes need key combos) and worked great for me. I didn’t try it with a controller.

• phenom_x8 says:

@urthman

It looks like we have the same taste, I’d love Ultimate spiderman and web of shadows. Race with torchman are great and the daily heroic mission were not so bad and a little more varied than PS 2 Spiderman 2 (I’d love it too, but didnt have PS2 to play it). And with my P4 2,4 GHz and Radeon 9550 at that time,ultimate spiderman plays great with no serious issues!

3. Coldblade says:

I miss the open-city Spiderman games.

4. Lewie Procter says:

Shattered Dimensions was barely good enough. The up close face punching looked nice, but none of the tricks it had up its sleeve compared to the open world swinging that was perfect in Spider-Man 2 and not quite so good in the other open world games.

If this is more of the same, which it sort of looks like from this short trailer, I won’t be bothering.

5. Wulf says:

This one seems to have a mildly interesting premise, but then again, so did Shattered Dimensions. Apparently Beenox are pretty good at this, so I’ll likely bag it even if the gameplay is fairly mediocre.

6. ran93r says:

I will probably pick it up but as has already been mentioned, nothing has come close to the sandbox-ish free swinging of Spiderman 2. Hopefully someone will sort that out soon but in the meantime, these are a nice diversion if you can wait until they drop in price a bit. I must finish Shattered Dimensions, I was enjoying it although the 2099 world is a bit “meh”. I see why they have chosen to mix up Amazing and 2099 for this story but I would have paid for a full on Noir title. I suppose I really should check out Buttman.

7. StickyNavels says:

I find it a wee bit sad that they (various Spidey developers) keep producing middling-to-mediocre ventures. Spider-Man the Game should be a foolproof concept.
    On your hands you’ve got an already-developed and fleshed-out universe with a colourful ensamble of characters and villains (I love Spidey villains – they’re second only to that guy-who-thinks-he’s-a-bat-but-doesn’t-have-any-cool-powers’s). Inspiration? There’s decades worth of it. You have an interesting, somewhat complex hero-type fella. There’s always a new angle to delve into. You have superpowers – web-slinging, super-strength, super-acrobatics, wall-crawling, spider-sense, super-gadgetry.
    Perhaps Marvel should do with their game licenses what they did with the movie bit of their business; start their own game developing division.

8. Vague-rant says:

Liberty looks pissed. I knew we shouldn’t have introduced all those anti-terror laws…

On a more serious note, I really wanted them to say “Who… saves… who”, so I could angrily comment “Its whom!”

And the last spider man game I thought made it to average was Ultimate Spiderman.

9. zerosociety says:

I’ll play the hell out of a Spider Man 2099-centric title. Which is what this is. Written by the man who wrote Spider-Man 2099.

• Wulf says:

Yeah, the 2099 titles were actually pretty good. Well… barring the Punisher, perhaps. That was a bit crap. But the rest were pretty decent. And Doom 2099 was amazing. If they’ve got one of the writers on board, then that explains why this actually does look a little bit interesting.

• Urael says:

Ravage 2099 was worse. I think that was written by Stan the Man himself, which explains that neatly. Doom and X-Men were both great books. Warren Ellis did some beautiful work on Doom. *lovelorn sigh*

• Birdman Tribe Leader says:

Does Stan Lee suck? I agree that Ravage was rubbish (and that the others ruled), but I’m not sure I understand why Stan explains. Is it because no one would give him proper feedback and make him improve his writing? Because he was old and all his stories were stuck in a Silver Age mindset?

• duck_king says:

No, Stan Lee does not suck. I mean, they guy is an actual living legend in his industry (I hear they are even making video games out of crap he dreamt-up in the ’60’s). However, by todays standards, his writing does seem…far from timeless. I don’t want to say its because he’s old (Will Eisner did probably his best work in his 60’s, and was cranking out quality right ’till his death), but yeah, it does appear that Stan is stuck in a weird Silver-Age storytelling mode. To be fair, it’s not like he’s been a serious writer since the early ’70’s.

10. Navagon says:

Surely the news here is that Activision have a studio left that’s not among the broken remains pooling together to keep the CoD brand alive?

Let’s place bets on how long this one will last. :P

• marach says:

2 days after this game is released we’ll find out the founders are starting a case against them for unfair dismissal and breach of contract.

11. BreadBitten says:

When was this announced for the PC? All the other sites only list this game for the X360, PS3, DS and 3DS…

12. Stinkfinger75 says:

I’ve noticed a bit of heavy petting recently between RPS and Kotaku. Anything you guys would care to share?

13. Urael says:

Has anyone else here read the Spiderman 2099 stuff? Miguel O’Hara as written by Peter David has to be one of Marvel’s finest creations. It’s a thing of joy to see him appear in another Spidey Game, and this time looking like much more a part of things. :)

14. Duke Nukem says:

If it doesn’t have Spiderman Noir I won’t bother getting it.

15. phenom_x8 says:

And i still demand Shattered dimension WiT from you, guys! In the last article http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/31/spider-man-edge-of-time-hits-this-autumn/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29, Quintin said it was a “fine” game!
    Or at least, can somebody here(who have already played it) tell me about this game?? I want to know more detail about the gameplay (free roaming or not), control (M/KB friendly or not) and the most important things is the camera (still clunky or not).

BTW, I love Spiderman 1 and 2 (PS one), Spiderman 2 (PS 2),Ultimate Spiderman and Web of shadows!

16. Davey Jones says:

Ultimate Spiderman was the peak of the Spidey games. Anyone who says otherwise never played as Venom. As far as this title goes, I foresee a crapfest. Just an educated guess.

17. Darko Drako says:

Did shattered dimension come out on PC?

18. BrendanJB says:

I have no idea how they keep getting Spiderman so fucking wrong o___O

Spidey 2 was pretty good for its time, but it doesn’t hold up too well today.

Seriously. Open world, web slinging, wall crawling, photography, awesome gadgets, amazing characters, alternate dimensions, cheesy one-liners, hot bitches. HOW DO YOU GET THIS WRONG?