Spotlight On Biscuit- Crysis 2 Impressions

By Quintin Smith on April 4th, 2011 at 9:55 am.

Later, the military tribunal would not look kindly on Sgt. Havok's excuse that the Renault Megane meant him harm

It’s a top quality Spotlight on Biscuit we’ve got for you this week. Not only do we have Total Biscuit giving his hugely positive impressions on Crysis 2 single player in a video he’s dubbed “How Being Allowed to Fail is Awesome”, a sentiment very close to the hearts of most everyone here at RPS, but I do some thinking about the mighty Party Ring. Just why is it so popular?

Because it’s delicious, obviously. Although to my mind the most interesting thing about Party Rings is how they’re inherently depressing when eaten outside of a party. It’s like drinking alone, or something. I’m surprised there isn’t a Party Rings entry on cryingwhileeating.com yet.

, , .

1. Dominic White says:

Crysis 2 is one of those games where you get out what you put in, and this video kinda highlights it. You CAN skip through like 80% of the action by turning on your cloak and just walking past. That isn’t fun, though. It’s a singleplayer game with no scoring system and sandboxish combat arenas – do whatever is most fun for you. If that means trying to come up with the most impressively stupid combat tactics ever imagined, go wild.

The fact that the game lets you do that, and lets you fail on your own terms is great.

Gap Gen says:

I do kinda wish that sneaking was harder and being an angel of death was more awesome. As it is, I decloak, get saturated by bullets from three directions and run away cloaking to make the bad men stop.

• Dominic White says:

I went through most of the campaign just wading through enemies with an HMG and armor mode. To hell with stealth, I’ve got a gun that goes CHUGGACHUGGACHUGGA!

Gap Gen says:

Mr White, you are my hero. I need to play the game more like this. Or maybe leap from the rooftops, kill three guys, and leap back into the buildings before anyone can react.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

@Gap: Apparently, no special tactics are required: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvSU6ufMCFU&feature=channel_video_title

• Dominic White says:

Dude is cheating like a mofo in that video. On even Normal mode without cheats, you’d be dead in about 2-3 seconds of sustained fire like that.

Cinek says:

sandboxish combat arenas” – and here I started to laugh hard. Where exactly you mean is this “sandboxish “? Between the invisible walls 10 meters in each direction? Oh c’mon, this game is as much sandbox as Mario was, and Pac Man? Man… that’s something even Crysis 3 won’t reach in a matter of movement freedom!

Seriously – this game isn’t a sandbox in any part. And I went through campaign 2 times on highest difficulty.

• AlabasterSlim says:

Crysis 1 had invisible walls as well. Some of the areas were much more expansive, but you were still limited in where you could go. The last half of the game was pretty linear as I recall, without any options for how to approach things at all.

• DarkFenix says:

I doubt it actually Dominic, the enemies seem about as lethal as in my experience, they’re about as accurate as stormtroopers and can’t hit worth a damn unless you’re stationary 10 feet from them. Their AI is also God-awful if you do anything even slightly out or the ordinary like he’s doing there.

Gap Gen says:

Squirrelfanatic: AI aside, it’s crazy how much better games are in Russian.

• dustygator says:

And Far Cry 2 gets shit on? Let’s see both were very good looking, single-player with no scoring and Far Cry 2 actually had sandbox shooting. Anyone who bitched about the repetitive missions or respawning enemies didn’t see them as a chance to “come up with the most impressively stupid combat tactics ever imagined”.

• Dominic White says:

Actually, I really enjoyed FC2 for exactly the same reasons I liked Crysis 2. As did all of the RPS writers too, it seems. I/we are apparently just not grumpy enough to be PC gamers these days.

• BAReFOOt says:

I rather thought “Bulletstorm” when I heard this.
      Although Bulletstorm unfortunately lacks the sandbox aspect.

• Commisar says:

Dominic speaks truth, just like Far Cry 2, where you could get a mortar and just mortar the hell out of your objective from a mile away. I like FPSs where you get to decide how a fight is going to play out

• RegisteredUser says:

No, in fact the game does not let you do that. In fact, it gives you – compared to Far Cry and Crysis – tiny little “arenas”, through which you MUST wade, and a weapon limit of 2 that you this time cannot console-disable (although there is a trainer that will do it).

There is also no more anytime save and you get to restart sections that can be worth 10-20 minutes just because you had to leave at that point.

So I would argue the exact opposite: this is about as crippled and restricted a crysis / shooter as you could make.
      You quite literally have hours worth of segments that are essentially one linear road or park to just walk/ride on through, and you can’t even make it more entertaining by pistol-shotgun-sniper rotating through, because guess what, your arsenal ends at 2.

Be teh weeepin! Coz we shoor aint allowin u any.

What’s the most depressing is that this seems to be the only type of FPS left now. May $deity punish them all.

tomeoftom says:

More like Renault Methane HAAAAAaaai’mgone

3. vandinz says:

This twat does my head in. Calls himself the Cynical BRIT and then continues to speak ‘American’! Beyta, Thorow … etc. He’s about as British as Charlie Sheen, except he’s not winning.

That aside, it was a good overview of a great game except that’s not Nano vision. That’s the tactical overview. Nano vision shows heat sources only.

• SanguineAngel says:

Woah

• Calneon says:

Was this a joke?

• Jamison Dance says:

If you are trolling, then you got me. To my American ears, he has the most stereotypical top-hat-and-monocle tea-and-crumpets British voice I have ever heard. You must be joshin’.

AndrewC says:

He has a quite extraordinarily affected voice, like an inverse Lloyd Grossman. It remains endlessly amusing to me, especially when it momentarily drops during moments of high stress in the games he is playing.

• SanguineAngel says:

Yes but that doesn’t make him a twat.

AndrewC says:

Oh good lord, don’t take the name-calling of nerds seriously, they often don’t know how angry they are. There’s even a chance he thought he was being quite affectionate.

• qrter says:

I can hear the Lloyd Grossman in there, yes. To me he sounds like the captain on a plane, that kind of strained nonchalance, if you will – “Good evening ladies and gentlemen, welcome on flight 678, ah, my name’s Total Biscuit and ah, I’ll be your captain this evening..” ;)

This doesn’t make him a twat, no (unless he is, in fact, Lloyd Grossman, ofcourse).

• godgoo says:

what’s wrong with Lloyd Grossman?

• Teddy Leach says:

What are you all on about? He’s clearly German.

• qrter says:

If only we knew. Not sure it could be fixed, though.

(That’s in regard to Lloyd Grossman, not to being German. Although..)

Gap Gen says:

You try speaking like The Queen* with a mouth totally filled with biscuits.

*or, well, someone without German grandparents

Man Raised by Puffins says:

what’s wrong with Lloyd Grossman?

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=towd9vZWDJg

Re TotalBiscuit: I think AndrewC has it correct, although I find the affectation grates terribly and I can’t listen to him for more than a few minutes. Which is a shame.

• Rii says:

I’ve never listened to the guy before, but having done so now his accent does ring somewhat false to my (Australian) ears.

Never heard of this Lloyd Grossman fellow either for that matter.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Aimed at no one in particular … The British Accent is a highly varied and many-splendoured creature, with no one pure example. Avail yourself of linguistic enlightenment, with this wonderful educational supplement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH_kOjsXakM&feature=fvst

• SuperNashwanPower says:

To be a bit more on topic though, yeah I think Mr TB does ham it up a little bit, but I kind of like that. It reminds me of when Peter Kay does his “being showbiz” thing. Showbiz people are a bit hollywoodified and deep voiced, and gaming is showbiz. It MIGHT be more genuine if TB was just like (apologies in advance for immense stereotype) “eee this game is really good, almost as good as a bag of chips down’t pub, lad. ” but its his style.

• DiamondDog says:

What are you people blathering on about? It’s just a normal accent.

• DarkFenix says:

Sounds like a pretty ordinary English accent to me.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Note to self, do not commentate if you have a mixed accent, an American wife and lived in America for several years or you will enrage angry internet men.

On second thought, that doesnt matter at all

• Antsy says:

Ah, so the definition of a ‘Brit’ is the specific pronunciation of a few words. Excellent. I don’t know if you are British vandinz, but you do a very good impression of an idiot.

• Rii says:

@TotalBiscuit
      You can’t go around calling yourself “The Cynical Brit” and then complain when folks raise the question of your Britishness (or lack thereof) as a topic for discussion. Your accent is an issue because you’ve chosen to make it an issue.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Oh please, I am a Brit because I am British. No more qualification is needed and no amount of senseless bitching and electronic cockwaving will change that.

• Rii says:

@TotalBiscuit
      I didn’t mean to suggest that you aren’t British, of course you are. But if there can be said to be a quintessential example of Britishness, you are clearly not it. If you define yourself in a certain way (British, feminist, anarchist, w/e) then folks will naturally tend to expect you to exhibit qualities representative of the class in question as they understand it. Significant discrepancies can be expected to attract attention. That doesn’t excuse the hostility exhibited by the OP of this particular thread, but your seeming indignation at having the issue raised at all is at best naive and at worst disingenuous.

Incidentally, the residents of New South Wales just got through unelecting their American-Australian Premier. I don’t think her odd mixed accent had anything to do with it – in fact her personal popularity is actually pretty solid – but it’s certainly been a topic of discussion ’round these parts. Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM-_m8sihws

• safetydank says:

And double check his biscuit credentials while you’re at it.

• Chris D says:

Yeah, Total Biscuit, having chosen to call yourself a certain name on the flimsy grounds that it happens to be “accurate” you have a moral duty to live up to our every notion of that particular stereotype regardless of how implausible they may be.

If you are surprised that people are upset that you aren’t wearing a bowler hat, talk like Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins, wear union jack underwear and carry a small portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second with you at all times it can only be due to your disingenuous naivety.

While we’re on the subject, you clearly aren’t nearly cynical enough and I highly doubt that you are perfectly round and crunchy (I do not regard the mention of bourbons or custard creams a significant defense) as you have clearly chosen to identify yourself and make an issue of.

You, sir, should be ashamed.

• Antsy says:

“But if there can be said to be a quintessential example of Britishness..”

Now who’s being naive and disingenuous?

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I say we dunk him in a large pool of tea. If he gets soggy, he’s a biscuit, if he floats, he’s a duck.

• LionsPhil says:

Regardless of alleged Britishness or lack thereof, I have to say I found the rambling voice as annoying as hell.

Anyone want to tap-up a summary of his point using plain old written words?

(Also, “the” cynical Brit? You claim to be the definitive cynical article in a country where cynicism is a dominant trait? I think Yahtzee, at the very least, might have a good claim against you in the “rambling about games” domain.)

• SanguineAngel says:

Are people honestly laying some sort of false advertising claims here? It all seems faintly ridiculous. Either you enjoy his work or not. Complaining about /his accent/ or the use of the word “the” instead of “a” has surely got to seem like pedantry even as you type it? These are minor things. They are not actually offensive.

• Chris D says:

“You claim to be the definitive cynical article in a country where cynicism is a dominant trait?”

I am apalled at such casual racism. Anyway I think you’ll find that the dominant traits of the British are actually* a love of tea, an aversion to physical contact, self-deprecating humour while maintaining an inarticulate sense of superiority over all unlucky enough to be foreign or lower class, emotional constipation and an irrational hatred of those who remove perfectly good vowels from the middle of words for no good reason.

*Apart from all the times when they’re not.

• tossrStu says:

@Man Raised by Puffins: When I saw you posted a Grossman-related video I crossed my fingers and hoped it would be Vic & Bob, and BY GOD you delivered. I doff my cap to you, sir.

@TotalBiscuit: You might want to check this video out, it should help you work on your accent a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBXUXqf8FXk

• benjaminlobato says:

The internet is such an amazing place. Never in my life of real world interactions have I heard someone call a total stranger a “twat” or that their voice is “annoying as hell.” This is especially strange as it is well known that TotalBiscuit reads and comments here, so he will likely see these comments. He just seems like a regular guy making some video game commentary videos that a lot people seem to enjoy, so what is with all the hate?

• Muzman says:

Seconded. This is a stupid argument. He can call himself what he pleases (next we’ll be pulling up the Boston Celtics for their name) and his reviews are almost alarmingly in depth, particularly of multiplayer. Even if the odd detail turns out to be mistaken this look at the moment to moment game is pretty rare and well done.

• One Pigeon says:

Thirded. It’s incredibly refreshing to have someone take an in depth look at the game and it’s mechanics without flashing between cutscenes and extremely short segments of playing.
      I find in his videos you can really get an idea of what the game is like as you’re simply seeing someone play through as you yourself would.

Oh and the commentary is ‘spot on’ in my opinion.

Man Raised by Puffins says:

And that’s the most niggling thing, as far as I’m concerned at least, I’m sure he does provide an interesting commentary on the games in question, but penetrating the crusty carapace of his vocal stylings is sufficiently onerous that I’m unable to access the juicy info-morsels that must reside within, so to speak. However, sufficient members of the gaming public have no problem at all that I’m perfectly happy to chalk this up to ear failure on my part.

It should also go without saying that the questions regarding the ‘Britishness’ of Mr Biscuit are completely bonkers. The matter was cleared up when he professed his support for the US cricket team, thus making it illegal for him to have any claims of being a ‘Brit’ under Tebbit’s law of 1862.

• Faxmachinen says:

vandinz:
      If you’d accused him of not being cynical enough instead, you’d have been both more on topic as well as more correct (see Zero Punctuation).

• vandinz says:

I suppose twat was a tad harsh and it wasn’t about his accent, just the fact he uses ‘americanisms’. I like TB and I’ve said his video was a good one, but I HATE hearing Brits using american words or pronouncing them that way. It’s one of my pet gripes. However he stated he lived in America and has an American wife so I’ll let him off. So TB I apologies. You don’t get many of them on the Internet. ;)

4. Moni says:

Yes! I bloody love party rings. Pink with white wigglies are the best.

5. SanguineAngel says:

Man Party rings are superb.

In addition, I know this is slightly off topic but I really like the multiplayer on Crysis 2.

I quite like the single player but I find certain restrictions aggravating. Doors that are randomly unopenable for no good reason at all is my biggest grievancee.

GibletHead2000 says:

I don’t want to know about your Man Party rings.

• SanguineAngel says:

So you say and yet here you are!

• ceriphim says:

I’m undecided on the multiplayer thus far, but leaning towards dislike. There are fun parts about it, but I don’t really feel really super-soldier-ish when there’s more sudden BANG-YOU’RE-DEAD than CODBLOPS.

I thought the cool thing about this whole Crysis genre was some sort of high-tech-super-nano-magica-whatsit-armor? When do I get to play with that? When a sub-one-second burst of fire from an automatic weapon kills you while you’re in armor mode… Jesus. I feel like I’d have longer multiplayer rounds if I just strapped on some ordinary kevlar.

The suit energy drains WAY too quickly for you to feel like you’re doing anything useful, who’s goddamn idea was it for *RUNNING* and jumping to drain suit energy in MP??? If anything, I can run faster and farther in CODBLOPS than as a nanosuit-wearing-cyberninja. To me the MP game feels super underpowered and has a pretty-fucking-steep learning curve (and this is from someone who’s played the hell out of FPS games since Wolf3D).

I won’t bitch about the rest of the MP screw-ups, except to say the bugs, lack of authentication, and shit-terrible anti-cheat are pretty inexcusable.

6. DigitalSignalX says:

I’ve said all HURRY UP I have to say WE’RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME about Crysis in forums STEALTH ACTIVATED so I’ll just sum it STEALTH DEACTIVATED up here in brief.

7. SuperNashwanPower says:

I really loved this game, until the final few levels. I felt like the openness and creativity elements peak around the ‘church’ level, and then after that it starts to feel like I was playing the same level over and over, and even trying to be creative with combat didnt spice it up anymore. I found its best if I take it in little bites, rather than all in one sitting – all in one go did tend to lead to boredom and a sense of “oh, here we go again”.

• Glow says:

I feel exactly the same about it – I thought I’d finished the game on three different occassions only for yet another section to open up. Must nearly be over now! But I’ve loved it in many ways, just not quite as many as the first Crysis (I’d like to see the new nanosuit controls in the old game – they really are so much more instinctive)

• Mark says:

Funny you mention this, because I also feel the same. Either I have a low attention span or the game doesn’t really evolve beyond its initial premise to keep me interested. I think it’s the latter, but, to be fair, my passions for FPSs have waned since playing Homefront. That game really took it out of me.

8. Raniz says:

I’ve never heard of party rings before, but now I want to try one…

• Raniz says:

Amazon’s great, these are going in my shopping basket the next time I’m ordering games!

• SuperNashwanPower says:

They’re quite nice. You can sort of put them in your mouth, then wait for the sort of hard icing bit to start to melt. The biccie part is a bit uninspiring, but its a good dunking biccie, being made on solid biscuit infrastructure :D No spontaneous disintegrations like you might expect with a digestive …

That said eating too mnay of them gives me a huge headache. Naughty biscuits.

• Moni says:

Once upon a time, at a party, I ate so many party rings it made me throw up. True story.

• Chris D says:

I think we’ve all been there.

9. Theory says:

Wow, I had no idea that Crysis 2′s SP didn’t suck wasn’t poppycock. If I hear that it stays good I might be tempted to drop £30 on it…

TheApologist says:

Party Rings are crap biscuits.
    The only acceptable Party Ring eating practice is while watching T J Hooker and drinking soda stream in an 80′s nostalgia bomb.

• SanguineAngel says:

You’re mean!

I like them.

TheApologist says:

Oh, I’m not mean really, it’s just that there are really amazing biscuits out there, and you could be eating those…

…ok, ok the truth is that when I was a child I could fit the biscuit onto my finger like an actual biscuit ring. Now my inability to do that is a chilling reminder that my childhood is forever behind me, and I am all too far along the slow march to death.

• SanguineAngel says:

Ah yes I feel your pain in that at least. I am glad you are not mean though, that is good news

11. Triangulon says:

Party Rings are AMAZING! Once I opened a pack to find to my horror that the rings of joy contained were bedecked with but a single colour! Imagine the despair that gripped my heart! I wrote a letter to Fox explaining my disappointment at the lack of the accustomed explosion of rainbow colour when I opened said confectionaries. To the relief of you all I can confirm that I recieved no less that £2 of vouchers for replacement Party Rings (or alternative Fox product) . These men are as GODS!

Lambchops says:

Hooray for your party ring based victory!

• Chris D says:

You can actually buy party rings?

I had always assumed they just appear mysteriously if you leave a paper plate unattended for long enough.

12. qrter says:

You make drinking alone sound like no fun. Clearly you’ve been doing it wrong.

13. bill says:

What the hell are Party Rin…. Oh! Those! I loved those as a kid. Never knew they had a name!

Joshua says:

Is it just me, or is that FOV set …. quite high? It’s a bit fish eye lensy.

• LionsPhil says:

He says as much in the video.

I’m guessing he possibly didn’t know that the FOV value is vertical, not horizonal, and overcooked it as a result.

15. PureUncut says:

I wonder when the flagrant cheating on multiplayer is going to be addressed. You can edit the .ini file to give yourself perpetual cloak and armour and speed etc.

I haven’t watched the video (he really isn’t my cup of tea), but I think these ridiculous problems should be mentioned in any commentary of Crysis 2.

Also did anyone else find the SP pretty average?

16. Hmm-Hmm. says:

That Megane was obviously a robot in disguise..

Lambchops says:

I remember Party Rings being great but that may only be because I’m comparing them to the other common party snack, the completely horriffic pink wafer. Pink wafers are absolutely atrocious, tasteless carap. I don’t understand why parents ever thought we liked them. Not to mention that pink is a girl’s colour and girls are icky!

• SanguineAngel says:

Oh my gosh, I can’t believe I am reading those words with my actual eyes. Pink Wafers! I used to love those! what topsy turvy world do you live in? I have had Party Rings more recently, however and I can certify that they did indeed taste as delicious as I remembered.

• Vague-rant says:

Pretty sure some kid told me the pink colouring does actually turn you into a girl. TRUE FACT!

18. funtard says:

How did this guy get a slot on rock paper shotgun? I find his videos boring and his voice annoys me. Oh well that’s just my opinion after all.

• Teddy Leach says:

Away, opinion!

… I’ll get me coat.

• Stupoider says:

Well, I concur. I hope this doesn’t become a regular spot thing because I already spend my days getting his links shoved down my throat.

19. Rii says:

I like how he talks about the awesome gunplay whilst firing a gun that sounds like someone tinkling away at the urinal.

• Teddy Leach says:

I want to use that urinal.

• Rii says:

Ok, so the analogy isn’t perfect. The other that occurred to me was a cycling bicycle chain. Point is, it wasn’t the least bit ‘punchy’ or otherwise impressive.

• Eversor says:

Silencer making gunshots sound silent? Good grief!

• Teddy Leach says:

The thing is, silencers actually don’t make gunshots silent: they’re still pretty damn loud.

• Olivaw says:

Ah yes, let’s talk about REALISM in regards to VIDEO GAME GUNS. Truly this is a subject worth talking about.

I actually really like the sound design in Crysis 2. It’s not exactly powerful sounding, but there’s just something that sounds nice and satisfying about all those clicks and put-puts and ch-chks and such. They are very pleasing to my earholes, regardless of whether or not they are coming from a gun!

• ceriphim says:

I was unimpressed by the majority of the guns in C2 for a few reasons-

1) The overall samey-ness and real lack of variety in weapons, and total lack of explanation or ability to figure out just what the hell separates them from each other. Is the SCARAB better than the Feline? Fuck I don’t know, I don’t even know what they are or are supposed to be future derivations of. I know I loved the SCAR in CODBLOPS, so guess I’ll stick with that.

2) Marshmallow goodness crappiness of weapon damage. He mentioned it in the article, but I never really felt the weapons were at all powerful (unless I’m sniping with headshots). All the rifles felt interchangable for the most part, and they all felt like I was hosing a stream of paintballs and hoping the bad guys just got tired of the bruising.

3) Sound/feedback – It sucks. I had this issue with CODBLOPS too, the weapons were too quiet/artifical. Even with a pistol, I want bass and kick in my gunshots. I want them to drown out other sounds nearby when I’m hosing the whole mag. The .50 was the only weapon even somewhat satisfying to fire. (BTW – I played with my sound CRANKED hoping it would help, it mostly didn’t)

20. Urael says:

Maximum Biscuit!

21. Skusey says:

Party rings are horrible scummy things meant for urchins and riff-raff. And to think that I previously thought of you as a gentlemen of good taste. I’m never visiting this website again.

• itsallcrap says:

Well that’s a bit harsh, but they’re certainly rubbish biscuits. Far too hard.

22. Lobotomist says:

Crysis 2 is a very very average shooter.

I would almost call it a showcase of Cry 2 engine. That is scaled back version of Cry 1 engine.

So its less of less.

My review of Crysis 2 :

Slightly better than your average tunnel shooter , but dont expect the glory days of Far Cry or Crysis.

• Vague-rant says:

I’m pretty sure its Cry engine 3… Far Cry= Cry1, Crysis=Cry2, Crysis 2= Cry3. If it is a showcase, you think they’d make sure you get the name right.

Having not played Crysis 2 beyond the demo, I can’t really criticise, but I do remember a lot of people saying how Crysis 1 was just a tech demo too (I disagree but thats not the point). It seems odd so many people suddenly hold it up as a paradigm of gaming, and say the second is a tech demo. Are these the same people with the benefit of hindsight? What are the people who called Crysis 1 a tech demo playing now?

• DarkFenix says:

Well, Crysis 1 kinda did feel like a tech demo. Maybe that’s the purpose of Crysis 2; they’ve showed us that they can sink even lower, thus making Crysis 1 look better in hindsight. I mean seriously, a game that seemed like a tech demo and they’ve proved that even that can be stripped down of quality.

23. Arithon says:

Crysis 2 or “Call of Nanosuit” is an average, linear and heavily scripted FPS.

Biscuit’s assertion that it has “amazing A.I.” is absurd. I’ve stealth-killed one guy, standing next to his companion and the other guy just stands there and says “man down!”. What’s amazing about that?

The “sandbox” Biscuit talks about is nothing of the sort. Each area is a “room” with one exit and no matter if you kill everyone in the room or not, you still have to “blow up X” or “Destroy tank Y” to reach the one-and-only exit.

You cannot dive off the bridge and swim around the road-block. The game doesn’t let you.

The checkpoint system sucks. Bring back QUICKSAVE, hell, I’d settle for any kind of SAVE!

Graphically, the game is on a par with HomeFront (UE3) or AVP and less detailed than BFBC2 (FrostBite2). Nothing special. Zero WOW! factor.

This would be a good bargin-bucket game, but you may feel a little cheated if you paid full-price for this game.

If you like twitch-shooters, the the multiplayer may redeem it, but if you want more depth than a teaspoon, look elsewhere.

• Lobotomist says:

Exactly.

I bought the game because i read some great praises on this very site.

Now I am thinking , that perhaps this was one of the first shooters these people played ?

I mean judging against shooters from year or two away (like MW2 or remake of Wolfenstein). Crysis 2 is quite good and open.

But compare it with anything older , even with Crysis 1 – it is just weak.

• Jim Rossignol says:

“But compare it with anything older , even with Crysis 1 – it is just weak.”

What older games are you thinking of? I’d say Far Cry, Stalker… anything else?

• Lobotomist says:

HL2 , NOLF , Halo , Bioshock ( also System Shock , Deus ex , Thief ) , Borderlands …. the list goes on…

P.S

After quicksave (reaching goal) try returning to the area you came from…You will be in for a nice surprise.

AndrewC says:

You are saying it is less open than Half Life 2? You are comparing a straight shooter to RPG hybrids like Deus Ex?

You’ve gone wrong. It’s OK.

• Bhazor says:

FFS… it also doesn’t have the branching story of Alpha Protocol or the deep team management of Football Manager 2011. It doesn’t even have a turn based mode!

There’s just something about Crytek that just seems to spawn legions of haters. The fact these comments are more or less spelled correctly shows that RPS does at least bring out the literate ones. So some kudos there to RPS at least.

• Jim Rossignol says:

“HL2 , NOLF , Halo , Bioshock ( also System Shock , Deus ex , Thief ) , Borderlands.”

Er. No.

• Howl says:

I agree that the gameplay is “ok” and the gunplay is “meh” but the visuals go from average to amazing in the space of a few hours. Everything from Central Station onwards is best-in-class, I thought.

Extreme settings + Nvidia Surround + Times Square set-piece = Win.

It still doesn’t hold a candle to Bad Company 2 though.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Why would you even mention HALO on a PC gaming site?

24. Chris D says:

I have one criticism. Here’s a reconstruction.

Sneaks around.. shoots men…talks about settings…shoots more men…talks about difficulty….goes invisible…shoots men…talks about graphics….KICKS A CAR INTO THE MIDST OF THE ENEMIES WHERE IT EXPLODES IN A FIERY BALL OF DEATH…casually mentions “yeah, you can kick cars at people”…shoots men…keeps talking about graphics..

Priorities, man! Priorities!

25. Jim Rossignol says:

Arguing that Crysis 2 is an average shooter suggests to me that you don’t play enough shooters to know what the average is. It’s way above average. Sure, it’s not… Ah wait. What game can we say *is* above average? Stalker? Isn’t that the only game that even vaguely matches up to the massive demands people are making for a game to be non-linear, but still kind of linear, with hardcore PC controls, and have DX10 support etc etc etc?

As much as I enjoyed Crysis 1, Crysis 2 does loads right, and plenty better. The suit controls are better, the combat vs aliens is better. As for the non-linearity: go back and play Crysis 1. That was still a scripted corridor, just a wide, jungly one. That was *not* a non-linear shooter. Far Cry 2 is a non-linear shooter and look how that turned out.

Anyway, stressing that Crysis 2 is a linear, scripted shooter is fine, I suppose. I did that in my piece on it, too. But that’s because it’s sat firmly in the territory of Halo, Call Of Duty and so on, not in the realms of Arma II or whatever else actually offers non-linear play. That doesn’t diminish it, either, that makes it *a different kind of experience*. Saying that disappoints you means you were just expecting something that it was never going to be.

KindredPhantom says:

I agree, Far Cry 2 really was too open for it’s own good.
      What I am enjoying in Crysis 2 is that it lays out the tactical options for you to take and then let’s you decide if you wish to take them.

• Lobotomist says:

Ok…lets skip the point , that it is linear scripted shooter.

What about story ?

Its just boring as hell. Yawn fest.

Or how about advances from Cry1 engine ?

Crysis 2 has reduced polygon count , removed movable and destructible environment.

Or how about game play ?

It simplified things – Its streamlined. Its like Dragon Age Origins to Dragon Age 2.
      Tell me that this is better and I will never take you seriously again.

Its not bad shooter. Surely better than MW2

But really far cry from original Crysis ;)

• CMaster says:

I am wondering what sort of reception Half Life 2 would have gotten with these people.
      I haven’t played Crysis 2 – the sheer mess that was trying to play the demo (I never actually managed to get past the login screen, so broken was their systems) thoroughly put me off, so I can’t assess how open it is. But FPS games have really tended to be real corridors, the open ones being few and far between (and when they do exist, not always praised – how often do people hype up MoH Airborne?), and normally nabbing gameplay elements from RPGs while they’re at it.

That said, I can appreciate the difference between a game that funnels you down a channel, and the likes of Homefront or MoH (reboot) that apparently don’t let you so much as place one foot out of place).

“Arguing that Crysis 2 is an average shooter suggests to me that you don’t play enough shooters to know what the average is. ” Almost certainly true of course. While I dare say Steam and the likes are changing things a little, I’d say that most gamers (of the type that read and post here anyway) play less games a lot more than a games journalist. This leads to all sorts of confusion, including the werid disconnect between players’ reactions to the L4D2 announcement and that of the gaming press. (A different disconnect applies to why Valve were blindsided by the whole thing)

• Azradesh says:

The average vocal PC gamer these days seems to suffer from a chronically bad memory. I agree with you Jim, this is much better then average.

innokenti says:

Jim, it’s almost like you killed me, ate my juicy delicious brains, and then regurgitated my opinion through your own lips.

But yeah – that’s what I’ve felt after playing through almost all of Crysis 2. Crysis 1 had good ideas, but it made it hard for you to take advantage of them or enjoy the game once the aliens hit the fan. I am actually enjoying the game to play a lot more, even if, I suppose, theoretically speaking it’s not a breakthrough or some kind of magic.

• Vague-rant says:

Not a poor memory as much as a selective one.

@Lobotomist; Crysis 1′s story is probably about as bog standard as you can get.

As for engine improvement… Crysis 2 looks better. Don’t know much about gameplay beyond the demo, but it does look better.

• Kieron Gillen says:

(As I said to Jim on Saturday, I’m a little disconnected from the people who think that the fact that the controls are slick enough to let you elegantly use your abilities is in fact some kind of problem.)

KG

• Navagon says:

The problem with Far Cry 2 wasn’t its openness. That was a good thing about it. I liked the openness.
      The problem with Far Cry 2 was the fact that when it rained, it rained generic shoot you on sight enemies down upon you like a Biblical plague.

“I’m a little disconnected from the people who think that the fact that the controls are slick enough to let you elegantly use your abilities is in fact some kind of problem.”

• Chris D says:

Lobotomist

Well, Kieron has just responded to your point 3 and I believe John Walker addressed your point 2 in an article recently, so I guess that leaves point 1: story

Is story really the highest priority for most people in choosing an FPS? If that’s what you look for then fine but that’s not really grounds for a blanket criticism that the game is horribly overrated.

Also, didn’t you just have Borderlands on your list of better games upthread? Now I enjoyed Borderlands but as far as story goes..well, I’ll just quote someone else from this thread.

“Tell me that this is better and I will never take you seriously again.”

• DarkFenix says:

What most people probably mean when they say “below average” is “below expectations”. Crysis 2 was certainly below mine. My expectations were (quite reasonably) based on Crysis 1, a game that looked amazing and was precisely 50% fun (the 50% before the aliens showed up). Though that games was beneath my expectations too, my expectations there having been set by the developer’s previous game – Far Cry.

Far Cry really was great; it was a corridor shooter, but the corrider was a mile wide. The environment was great too and it was a game that dared to be punishingly difficult (the trigens). Then Crysis 1 came along; it was very pretty and remembered that sneaking through a jungle killing dudes is fun. The corridor had shrunk to a hundred yards wide, but it still looked a mile wide. It was pretty easy, but the suit was good fun and so were the weapons. Now we have Crysis 2; it’s not pushing graphical boundaries anymore (I personally don’t care, but that was basically Crysis 1′s claim to fame), the environment has changed from lush jungle to drab concrete, the corridor is now quite visibly a corridor seldom wider than a street, the fun weapons are strictly limited and the nanosuit is boring now.

A step back after a step back. That’s why Crysis 2 is a letdown. Still above average on its own merits, but it’s only reasonable to judge a game on its direct predecessor and on that basis Crysis 2 fails to deliver.

• Rii says:

“Arguing that Crysis 2 is an average shooter suggests to me that you don’t play enough shooters to know what the average is. It’s way above average.”

Which probably says something about utterly yawn-worthy the genre is for the most part.

<— waiting on Bioshock Infinite

• Tatourmi says:

Better than average doesn’t actually make you any good in my opinion. Yes, for me too it is better than average, but look at the damn average! Linear and unimaginative modern call of something shooters all around us! In this one you can be invisible, well, at least that is a change.
      You might enjoy these, and that would be totally justified as there are no “superior tastes”, but I do not, and while I reckon that it is above average I still cannot stand it. (But once again I considered crysis 1 a popcorn game with not much to offer apart from some building destruction, which was nice, but was not that well used).
      I don’t think the argument “better than average = good” is justified.

• subedii says:

Considering that I was the person who said this in the comments back for the original review, and Jim took the time to respond to them (thanks Jim), I feel as if this one’s directed at me.

And to be honest, I stand by what I said. I laid out what I expected from the sequel, and if the sequel actually deviates from the aspects that I found interesting and original in the first game, then yes, that’s kind of disappointing. I mean I don’t think it was somehow irrational to hope that the sequel follows up and expands on those aspects, instead of striking out in a more CoD direction.

Please note (and I feel like I have to say this every time or else I’ll be labelled an irrational-fanboy-hater), such a thing DOES NOT make Crysis 2 a bad game in itself. But if what I’m looking for in the sequel has gone, then yeah, I’d say disappointment about sums up my feelings on it. I can’t really think of another game that had the style of freeform and open gameplay that Crysis 1 had, except maybe the original Far Cry. Stalker’s pretty wildly different and more an RPG in some ways. ArmA’s more of a mil-sim, it’s primarily suited to co-op play and doesn’t really allow for “action” as such in the same way that Crysis 1 did.

Heck, maybe the style of gameplay that Crysis 1 espoused is dead, and maybe it is irrational to hope for any games that try to follow a similar style. But if that’s the case then, well, it’s kind of sad. I really did enjoy that style and how Crysis pulled it off.

• Lobotomist says:

Above average , below average.

Crysis 2 is game that is expected to be benchmark for PC shooters. Comparing it to game like recent Homefront. It shines. So if that is your leverage point when you praise the game than I agree.

But. It is the weakest game from the developer. And under expectation for anyone that followed the series.

• Jim Rossignol says:

“Heck, maybe the style of gameplay that Crysis 1 espoused is dead, and maybe it is irrational to hope for any games that try to follow a similar style.”

I’d rather play some games that took Stalker as a template, to be honest. Crysis 1 was great in lots of ways, but I think more interesting models could be found elsewhere. A stripped down version of Arma II would be a better approach, even.

In fact, as I’ve ranted at length elsewhere, I’d like to see shooters do what Far Cry 2 did, but get it right. FC2′s problem was that it didn’t know how to handle being a sandbox. See: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/07/15/some-stuff-about-open-world-games/

• subedii says:

Yeah but like I said, Crysis is a pretty different gameplay style to something like Stalker, I don’t think it’s all that apt a comparison to be honest.

I really enjoy playing Stalker as well, but I wouldn’t play it instead of Crysis, I play them both because they offer very different gameplay experiences. Crysis at its best was at times a player led Bruckheimer production of explosions, or Solid Snake hiding in the long grass, the key being that you chose which was which and how you really wanted to approach the objectives in those free-roaming levels.

Stalker to me was really more just about survival. Trying to make it one more day in the Zone. Going out at night and hoping something terrible and unforeseen doesn’t happen before you can make it back again. Prepping your gear before going on a mission and packing a balance of the provisions you might need against the necessity that you need to be able to carry stuff back as well. When Stalker was at its best, it wasn’t just the monsters or the bandits, felt like the Zone itself was your enemy.

Again, and just so I’m clear, NONE of this is to dismiss what Crysis 2 achieves ( I mean the streamlining of the suit controls alone is very intelligent and makes the gameplay flow so much better). But suffice it to say, I was kind of hoping it would follow on more from what the first game achieved. The graphics I could care less about (aside from the obvious menu options caveats). Heck the setting doesn’t even matter, I would have loved the gameplay style of the original transposed into New York.

I definitely intend to get Crysis 2 when it’s finally all patched up, because I know it’s probably going to be a good game. But I’d still be disappointed if there was never again a game styled after Crysis 1.

MajorManiac says:

@ Jim Rossignol:

I like your point about expecting your actions to have lasting changes in an open-world game. As you say; having checkpoints refilled in Farcry 2 after you’ve just cleared them felt wrong.

What is your take on games like Mount and Blade where the player gets to take part in world changing events (well capturing towns and castles)?

• Jim Rossignol says:

@subedii: Sure, the comparisons are very difficult between such games. That said, I think you could imagine an action packed explodo-Crysis type game in a genuinely open world, I mean look at Just Cause 2.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

@ Subedii – I have to say I agree with your points and very much felt the same playing Crysis 2. I have just been listening to PC Gamer’s UK Podcast where they talk about Crysis 2, and comparisons to the first one, and they cite some of the same criticisms. In fact I would say its one of the most, and perhaps only, critical discussions of the game I have found. I really enjoyed the first 70% of Crysis 2 I must admit, but then found it repetitive. I have had fun playing it, so I can’t say I think its ‘bad’, it just hasnt hooked me in the way that Crysis 1 and Warhead did, and it sounds like they felt a similar way over at PCG UK.

• subedii says:

@ Jim:

JC2 was way over the top, but I see your point. To an extent it’s all a sliding scale. Openness isn’t necessarily the anti-thesis of structured gameplay experiences, but it certainly doesn’t make it easy, and games approach the idea to different degrees.

What I liked about Crysis was that it was free-form enough that those Hollywood set piece sequences would happen, but they happened because of a confluence of factors in the environment, and they were largely player led instead of being scripted. At the same time it allowed you to go completely the opposite route of full stealth and the gameplay worked just as well.

Open enough that myriad factors from across the level could come into play, not so open ended that every encounter was pretty much procedurally generated and homogeneous. Not that I’m disagreeing with your point, but I think that’s something where JC2 tended to suffer from the latter at times. That might simply have been more a factor of the map design and giving the player character a bit too much power as well, though I couldn’t really say.

@SuperNashwanPower: I think I might’ve actually been listening to that podcast this morning. :P

• Olivaw says:

People who think that Crysis 2′s nanosuit controls are somehow inferior because they are EASIER TO USE are the reason that PC gaming gets the rep that it does.

“I want this to be MORE archaic, MORE convoluted, MORE esoteric! I want this to be impenetrable to anyone who has never played a video game on a PC before! GLORIOUS MASTER RACE ETC.”

Crysis 2 may not be quite as open as it’s predecessor, but that’s hardly a problem. It still offers more ways to tackle a situation than any other modern shooter these days.

And for all it’s faults, I liked Far Cry 2! It did a lot of things wrong, but if you could get past them, there was an experience there that you could not and still can’t get anywhere else.

• Muzman says:

Lotta rose coloured glasses on Far Cry around here. I seem to remember it being pilloried for its stupid story, stupid AI, repetitive gameplay, poor level structure, bugginess w/ goofy physics and generally sucking once the, whatchacallem, mutants show up.

(I also remember Half Life 2 copping some stick for being nowhere near as open and unscripted as was implied at various points in the development. Not too mention late, but anyway)

Gamers do tend to relax their initial disdain over time if the game is mostly ok and gives a few memorable moments though.

• GoodPatton says:

I think a lot of people are pushing themselves to be disappointed because perhaps their expectations were not met (I know mine weren’t). I also think people are not allowing themselves to be disappointed AND STILL enjoy what there is to enjoy about the game. I nearly did that myself.

I am disappointed about more than a few aspects of the game but mainly some wonky AI here and there, experiencing some unpleasant bugs in the earlier levels (most notable: I was able to reproduce a falling out of world bug several times, and as an ex-video game tester that’s hard to overlook), and I was also slightly disappointed by the more obvious corridor-ness of the overall game.

With that being said, the game is still quite enjoyable at many moments and there are some fantastic firefights to be had. The aliens are so much improved from the first Crysis you’d have to have not played the first game to have not noticed it. The smooth nanosuit controls are just great and I don’t think I’ve heard anyone praise this (though Total Biscuits video is still loading so…) but the smooth vaulting onto objects is very enjoyable as is the slide though I used it less. Exploring to the edges of the levels might reveal some nit-picky graphics issues, but overall the game looks great and also runs superb and I’m actually glad I didn’t have to spend time tweaking settings as I did with the first game.

For me personally Crysis 2 doesn’t rate as highly as the first game does and though ultimately Crysis 2 leaves me wanting more from it, it’s is hardly a dud and it certainly warrants a second playthrough.

You’re allowed to be disappointed but don’t let that blind you from what good IS there.

• GoodPatton says:

Also, Jim, If Just Cause 2 had the action of Crysis and destruction of Red Faction: Guerrilla, I don’t know if I’d play any another game all my life.

26. Kieron Gillen says:

Nav: “That was one of my problems with the original. Running fast then jumping high was not an easy combination to pull off.”

This exactly.

(There’s problems with the other bits of Crysis’ controls – the leaning simply doesn’t work regularly enough, but in terms of “This is what a combat suit should feel like” it’s really good. Seeing a grenade bounce at your feet, it’s a momentary reaction skill to switch to armour, etc.)

KG

• GoodPatton says:

Did you have the quick controls activated (I’m pretty sure thats NOT what they were called in the menu)? You were able to activate the Nanosuits functions by double tapping keys. Though not as quick as in Crysis 2 it was much better than mouse button 3.

27. Tatourmi says:

What the hell, why don’t we have a picture of the biscuit?! I am deeply concerned with this website!

Gap Gen says:

BiscuitInformer made them take it down.

MajorManiac says:

I agree with Tatourmi, this Spotlight On Biscuit is not as good as Spotlight On Biscuit 1.
      *Gets coat*

28. Branthog says:

So, it has been almost two weeks. Have they finally fixed the problem where your in-game currency isn’t lost every time you quit the game? Have they fixed the deal where your serial-key for multiplayer isn’t saved unless you enter it, log out, start up a single player campaign, then exit and go back into the multiplayer and enter your serial-key again? Is the only way to fix the flickering on multi-GPU cards without taking a performance hit to go download a set of alpha 11.4 Catalyst drivers and manually install them? (The steam version is still 11.2 and the public version is 11.3).
    I’m really looking forward to playing the game, since I bought it on launch day. Sure looks pretty for a DX9 game, I have to admit.

Oh, and from what I have played . . . I’m really bummed about the magic-AI. Not cool. He mentions how you can approach everything from so many different ways. Really? In my experience, no matter what way you try, the moment you pop your head out of anything, EVERY single AI in the entire map magically homes in on you and makes a straight line for you. You pretty much have the option of fighting everyone head on or just sitting in a corner and never moving.

Also, saying that the single player is so much better than Homefront isn’t really saying much. Homefront was so uninspired that people actually said “the story is what really kept the game from being a total loss for me”. That’s pretty bad, when you take into account how bland and lame the story was (you have to get from this city to the next one by shooting everything in your path — ORIGINAL!).

And yeah, there’s “no computer on the planet that could run this at full FPS and resolution” . . . because multi-GPU cards only run with one GPU on current (non-alpha/beta) drivers. I’m not sure how that’s an Nvidia/ATI problem, though. Haven’t they done SLI/Crossfire for some time, now? Why would they possibly have to custom code their drivers for a specific game?

• AwesomeOwl says:

Are you me? I was just about to post this:

I found combat to be largely unsatisfying, at least in most levels/missions because of the AI.

The enemies will often:
      -Instantly spot you from miles away if you uncloak (and they have rather great aim too) – and this goes for most enemies in a map, so if you uncloak you will often have 5-10 people shooting right at you within a splt second.
      -Be able to magically guess where you are when you aren’t cloaked (e.g. when sneaking along a chest-high wall.)
      -Magically know if one of their allies have been killed (unless of course they are all equipped with heartrate monitors or something, which definitely isn’t explained in-game)

Oh and then there’s the respawning enemies in some levels. I was sniping in one mission, but there was just an endless flood of enemies coming at me, so in the end I just said screw it, cloaked and waltzed past them to advance the mission…

29. Ginger Yellow says:

Little known fact: Party Rings are in fact glazed donuts that have been dry-aged for at least a year. They’re the jamon iberico of the confectionery world.

30. Fwiffo says:

So, anyone here like crisps?

• SanguineAngel says:

Heretic!

As well: I only like ready salted because I am a freak of nature.

31. syntax says:

Here is some good gameplay of suit functions being used effectively on the highest difficulty.

32. Tei says:

My main problem with crysis 2, is that enemies shot you from km of distance. The main source of dificulty on the game seems how unfair accurate are everybody. At the same time, the game is not explodey enough. It looks nice, and thats is. So is not my favorite game ever, and never will be.

33. enshak says:

I agree with BrokenBiscuit. I enjoyed crysis 2 immensely as I did with previous crytek games, not warhead, but I can’t imagine their games would get in many peoples favorite games list.

34. Starky says:

Man, I don’t know how anyone could play Crysis 2 at 90 FoV such a really bad fish eye effect.

I think maybe people are setting the FoV to 90 because that is what all shooters use on the PC, not realizing that the FoV in Crysis 2 is vertical FoV not horizontal.

FoV of 60 in Crysis is equal to FoV 85 @ 16:10 and 91@16:9 which is perfect.

A FoV setting of 90 in crysis is like having a FoV of 120 horizontal – which is why the game breaks a bit, that is triple monitor field of view, on a single monitor that is really bad fish eye.

Here is a calculator to help: http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

35. Alistair says:

Weird to hear complaints about the AI. If you haven’t bought the game perhaps watch this video and see this super AI in action first.

36. BobsLawnService says:

What is increasingly driving me nuts about Crysis 2 is the way that it takes control away from me to show me something cool. They really did get a bit too excited about the scripting. If I have three guys shooting at me please let me shoot back – don’t just expect me to just stand there and then walk out the back door.

37. quantum36 says:

The thing that gets me the most is that there are a host of bugs and problems with this game on the pc side and for the most part the gaming press has completely ignored this. Especially the likes of Rock Paper Shotgun, whom in fact made a point to make fun of people who actually complained about its flaws instead of taking a good hard look at why are all these people complaining about the pc version of crysis 2. This I find totally dissapointing especially from rock paper shotgun, to which up until recently I held in high regard.

As far as wheter crysis 2 was good are not is going to be based solely off of your perception and expectations.

and it comes down to this

crysis 2 vs current crop of shooters that are for the most part console ports = greatness

crysis 2 vs crytek’s previous efforts = total fail

crysis 2 vs crysis 1 = 50% think its better and 50% think its worse

crysis 2 vs pc centric open world shooters, arma, stalker , crysis 1, far cry = total fail

38. matrices says:

Far Cry 2 failed because there was no ‘there’ there. It typified the worst of Ubisoft’s innate tendency to prioritize beauty and art design over solid mechanics and fun gameplay (also seen to a lesser degree in Mirror’s Edge, AC1, and POP 2008). Forget the endlessly respawning checkpoints: those were merely a symptom of the disease, and the disease was a dead world devoid of anything interesting.

Faction warfare? No.
    Civilians? No.
    Interesting vehicles? No.
    Interesting story? No.
    Compelling characters? No.
    Even the shooting felt off, as though mouse smoothing were enabled.
    —-
    As for Crysis 2, everyone is making comparisons with Crysis 1, which misses the point. The relevant comparison is Warhead, which can be summed up as “Crysis 1 done right.” Crysis 2 possesses very little of what made Warhead great: an open but directed game environment, astounding graphics, decent AI, and Psycho.

Crysis 2 is a major disappointment that could satisfy no one but the modern gamer who has, quite frankly, let his standards slip down the greasy slope of lowered standards and expectations:

- So much more money, invested in a “good” sci-writer, yet still a worthless story.
    - A dummy protagonist with literally no personality and no voice.
    - No lean, no quicksave
    - Dumber AI
    - Three years after Warhead, but worse graphics

The game is Exhibit A in how game development has been retarded by the mainstreaming of the hobby via consoles.

This is not some angsty assertion: look at the (now hacked) files in Crysis 2, or visit a forum where people are discussing them, and you’ll see features and functionality, including co-op and DX11 code path, aborted and stripped out, just to make the 360/PS3 versions palatable by comparison.

39. matrices says:

After that critique, I feel obliged to say what would have made for a worthy follow-up to Crysis Warhead:

- Compelling characters and a coherent story
    - A directed open environment with vertical gameplay (fighting across torn-out skyscrapers by using ‘maximum strength’ to jump from floor to floor, building to building)
    - An ability to command or coordinate with other soldiers taking on other parts of the island(AI with drop-in co-op)
    - Interesting vehicles (a nano-glider to traverse the vertical landscape)
    - AI that uses intelligent, consistent squad tactics (smoke grenades to clear rooms, roll and take cover, flank)

In other words, something that is actually a worthy game in the franchise, not just “hey it’s better than the mindless COD games.”

• SuperNashwanPower says:

@ matrices I must admit that when I read in previews about the ‘vertical’ component of the game, I sort of anticipated really vertigo-inducing fights with matrix like leaps from building to building. That would have been cool. I think its in the opening movie thing, you see Alcatraz literally jump from one building to another, smashing the glass as he lands on like the 12th floor of a nearby skyscraper. All of that would have been great if it had made it into the game, and where there are hints of it in one or two places it felt quite original – not many games let you go up and up like that. I think it was the level in a plaza or square where you have to go and set off the charges – the final C4 trigger is about 3 floors up. A bit more of that vertical aspect would have added a lot I think. Maybe they originally intended to do that, hence putting in the ‘air friction’ upgrade, but then cut it out later.

40. Olivaw says:

It does disappoint me that they got Richard K. Morgan, the man who wrote the best sci-fi novel of the past decade, to write their video game story and it still turned out not good.

But then after he wrote those three incredible sci-fi novels he never really wrote anything nearly as good so I guess I should have expected it.

41. Holybasil says:

I wish there was actually anything exclusive about SoB, but it’s just the video his subscribers already saw 1 or 2 weeks earlier.

42. billyphuz says:

The ‘Crying While Eating’ shout made me like you guys even more. Also, if no one else mentioned, us Yanks have got Keebler Fudge Stripes, which are retarded yummy:

The secret is the chocolate back!

43. TotalBiscuit says: