D&D: Daggerdale Gets To The Fighting

By John Walker on April 5th, 2011 at 9:01 am.

But where's the dale?

The most exciting news in the last 24 hours has nothing to do with PC games. And yet it still feels like it does. HBO have revealed the first fifteen minutes of their adaptation of George R. R. Martin’s Song Of Ice & Fire series, in the form of Game Of Thrones. And it looks utterly flipping excellent. (Warning: the clip stops before showing tiny wolf cubs. Boo.)

What has that to do with Atari and Bedlam’s Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale? Almost nothing, other than the word “Daggerdale” awakens the same dying flame of my interest in the fantasy genre as “Winterfell”. It makes me want to read the books my dad would leave by the toilet when I was a kid. But the game? It’s the up-to-four-player co-op action RPG that Quintin lamented not seeing enough combat for last year. Well, now there’s a trailer entirely dedicated to fighting.

Oh good grief, those walking animations. Please don’t let those be final. The D&D licensed game is due this Summer, so there’s still plenty of time to apply what I think will be quite a lot of cosmetic improvement. Bewilderingly, there still don’t appear to be any screenshots available. In the meantime, Game Of Thrones starts in the United American States on the 19th April.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Gundrea says:

“Unleash your power”

No thanks love, I just got tippled last week.

2. Froibo says:

Sigh

3. StingingVelvet says:

I like action games, so I am not one of those RPG hardcore who flips out in the general direction of action games with RPG elements that call themselves RPGs. That said there is something about the D&D license that makes me really dislike it being used in conjunction with action games. I know there was a similar game to this on the PS2 a long while ago that even shared the Baldur’s Gate name, which probably made me shake with frustration at the time.

That said if it’s good I’ll play it and swallow my protests. I don’t expect it to be good though.

4. jti says:

That video managed only to convince me of the failure of this game. D&D used in the worst way possible.

5. The Hammer says:

This is one of those games where you really have to wonder who will buy it.

• gabbaell says:

They’re probably hoping that anyone who’s a fan of D&D games will buy it anyway, even if they expect to be disappointed, because its D&D and they need to try it for themselves, and people who don’t like them will buy it because its actiony and not really D&D anyway.

Of course, it might be that the D&D fans won’t buy it because its too actiony and the rest will be put off by the D&D name so the only people who do buy it, are the people who buy any old shit regardless. Luckily for developers everywhere, there’s plenty of those about.

• CapeMonkey says:

It should be good for people that want Dungeon Siege but don’t to pay brand-new game prices for 3 – I’d expect the price would be on the order of the top down Lara Croft game, given that this is also download only for consoles. This doesn’t have a precise release date, but Spring 2011 should be around May 31, and maybe they can ride that wave.

I have warm memories of Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance on PS2, so I’ll probably end up getting this (and also Dungeon Siege III).

6. Schaulustiger says:

The D&D game? Meh, I don’t really care. But the “Game of Thrones” show will be utterly amazing. Every trailer and featurette plus those first 15 minutes convinced me that HBO understood what made the books so great.

7. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Johnathan, I know well how you dislike to be corrected, but the exciting televisual experience you plug d├ębuts 17th of April in the States. British folk with the money for Sky (and Sky alone, sadly) will be shown it on the 18th, should they choose to turn the dial to the appropriate setting.

8. Namos says:

Who had the great idea to combine the most cliche fantasy ever with the most cliche gameplay ever?

I am not enticed.

9. Grot_Punter says:

Which setting is this? Is this overly-generic Faerun? I’m going to assume so, for I see no robots or steampunk influences.

There’s not enough Eberron flowing around the world.

• Schadenfreude says:

Pretty sure Daggerdale is one of Faerun’s lovely tourist attractions.

• Wulf says:

I’d earnestly dispute that Faerun is boring, it’s not, it’s rather that people insist on setting things in the most boring parts of it, which is 3.5 (and earlier) nonsense around the more typical medieval England places. So you don’t have the post-apocalyptia of 4th Ed, and you don’t have the rich cultures that are available if you take one step outside of the medieval England setting.

I’d eagerly insist that Rashemen, for example, is an exciting, haunting, sometimes chilling, sometimes scary, mysterious, beautiful place, and one that could certainly use some more attention. So there are interesting places in Faerun, but because everyone chooses to keep going back to places like the 3.5 era Sword Coast, we never see any of them. Damn shame.

I agree that Eberron is good, definitely wouldn’t contest that, but I’d also say that there’s a lot of worth in Faerun as well if those who make games would get out of the bloody rut they’re in and actually use some of the more interesting settings that do exist. You don’t have to go to Eberron to find them or even make them up, they’re right there, but barely ever used.

• Mutak says:

The problem with the Forgotten Realms is that they’re a kitchen sink setting. It puts in a little of everything but doesn’t do any of it particularly well. It all comes out as generic fantasy mush, but it’s a mush with a lot of nostalgic love for people who found it at the right time in their lives.

• Kdansky says:

Kitchen sinkyness isn’t a problem per se. Rather, bland kitchens are the issue here. Exalted sports everything: oversized swords, ancient high-tech, skyships, political court dramas, spy stories, godlike PCs, zombies, ghosts, faeries, demons, gods, ancient evils and heroin pissing dinosaurs (I kid you not). But it manages to do so with style. Whereas 3.x Forgotten Realms is as bland as a sheet of recycled paper. 4E feels like it doesn’t have a setting at all, just a few vignettes to flavour the combat rules. Which are the best combat rules in existence right now, at least.

And this game looks as boring as it can get.

• Grot_Punter says:

@Wolf

Never said Faerun was boring, just fairly cookie-cutter. In all honesty I am quite fond of the setting, its the one that introduced me to DnD in the first place.

10. Stevostin says:

Who care about the game ? Just watched the Game of Thrones stuff. THAT looks exciting !

11. Lars Westergren says:

Argh, Game of Thrones trailer won’t play for me. Are the servers overloaded, or won’t it play on Linux/Firefox? Or is it regionally restricted contents?

• Giant, fussy whingebag says:

It might be Linux/Flash messing you about. It works fine for me in Chrome and Firefox on Windows, here in the UK. A quick search of youtube should give up the goods, though…

EDIT: Indeed, here’s your best bet from the tube of you

• Lars Westergren says:

Yep, the Youtube link worked. Thanks, Giant, helpful whingebag.

Looks good, I remain hopeful. So, I guess it is “wait 1-2 year or so until I can order the Season 1 on DVD from Amazon.uk, or wait 3-4 years until one of the channels I can see gets it”.

• Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Well, considering the BBC is involved in production of the show, I would hope that they managed to secure some airing rights to it. With any luck, BBC viewers will get it before the end of the year or perhaps around the time of the DVD release.

Sadly, I doubt any deal would include streaming/download rights, so if you watch TV exclusively through internet/discs, like myself, you are indeed in for a wait.

• Quine says:

Can’t I just donate HBO some cash directly, torrent the eps and bypass the entire Murdoch stranglehold?

Would that be so wrong?

• Kdansky says:

@Lars: Or you could use the Online Delivery Service for Gentlemanly Goods and other Relaxing Amusements. I hear it has torrential success and usually offers episodes only a few hours behind their TV release.

Living in a country which insists on du(m/b)bing everything (down), I hardly have a choice to begin with if I want to see a series the same decade it is made. Is it even illegal to “pirate” something that you cannot buy to begin with? Nobody has bought the rights around here. Grey area?

12. gorgol says:

Looks allright to me lol. The trailer isn’t a good one as far as trailers go, but the concept of D&D with decent graphics and decent fighting animations (which is the only thing the video really tells us about the game) is quite exciting.

13. Stense says:

As someone who has their mind almost entirely away with the fairies and likes a good bit of escapist pop-fantasy, I like the idea of this game. Even if it does look a bit naff.

14. Carra says:

I’ll bite. When is the next book coming?

• Jimbo says:

July 12th (apparently).

Anybody read The Wise Man’s Fear (Patrick Rothfuss) yet? I hear it’s good. The Name of the Wind was rad.

• TheLastBaron says:

@Jimbo
      Yeah I loved it, which sucks because now I have to wait probably 4 more years for the last book to come out, whereas with the GRRM books I stopped liking them after the third book and will probably just wait the 10+ years until he finishes the series to read the rest.

15. Feet says:

July 2011 for Dance with Dragons. That’s an official release date. About time. I am frantically re-reading the entire series in preperation for the TV show and the new book.

Woooooo ASoIaF YEEEEAH.

16. Wulf says:

My head doesn’t turn for this.

However, there is head turning in the direction of Neverwinter – a D&D RPG handled by Cryptic Studios, based on 4th Ed, which will likely include their character customisation technology as seen in their MMOs, and will have Dragonborn as a race option. There was an interview about it, too, in which it was basically said that they were trying to imitate the Guild Wars 2 style of spontaneous play, but in a co-op game rather than a massively multiplayer affair.

That all sounds pretty good to me, truth be told, especially since I like their output thus far and I think they could probably do a good job with it. All most people want to see out of Champions Online is a co-op game in general, rather than an MMO, because it works better as one, so it seems like Cryptic are taking the hint and heading in that general direction, evolving from the sort of company that develops MMOs to one that develops co-op games.

And if they can keep it updated with fun content options a la the Guild Wars 1 mission packs, then all the better. I do wonder what the purpose of this game is though, especially since Neverwinter can’t be all that far off, Cryptic tend to develop these things fairly fast, so it’s likely just going to leave a sour taste in peoples mouths by the time Neverwinter rolls around, which might not work in their favour. That or it might be a cheap attempt to lower expectations in preparation for Neverwinter, but I hope not, since I’m actually hoping and inclined to believe that Neverwinter will be rather good.

• Grot_Punter says:

I’ll say it again, give us more Eberron! I’m getting bored waiting for book releases, and don’t fancy giving DDO a whirl.

17. mondomau says:

All the people bitching about ‘defiling’ the D&D license with a action-heavy game, i can only assume you’re working on out-dated or second hand knowledge of the pen & paper – the latest edition focuses heavily on combat to the exclusion of most other RPG aspects. WotC are also moving to providing online interactive maps/trackers/interfaces that add an undeniable computer game element.
    So it’s more like convergence than blasphemy really.

• Wulf says:

I just hope it’s based on 4th Ed. That’s probably heresy, but it’s a hell of a lot more interesting setting wise than 3.5 was.

• Kdansky says:

It looks like “hit A button to do a three-attack combo”. So no, that’s very far from 4E. I’d buy a 4E tactical game.

• Deccan says:

Wait, wait…4E has a setting?

18. Vexing Vision says:

I’ll stick to DDO and Neverwinter Nights 1+2 for multiplayer D&D action, thanks!

Silly fourth edition.

• Gundrea says:

I wouldn’t mind an NWN3. No need to update the graphics, just make it in an engine that works.

19. Symbul says:

I’ll be honest, that thing looks dreadful. I’d *love* for there to be a decent D&D game but man, that is looking pretty 2001.

20. zind says:

Oh hey, looks like 4e.

21. Morph says:

The current (tabletop) version of D&D is very heavily influenced by CRPGs, and more specifically MMOs. Characters have all sorts of cool powers and leap around being awesome (that was sarcasm). I don’t see this game as much of a departure from what Wizards of the Coast want you to think about when you’re playing the tabletop version.

Of course if you want to complain that D&D isn’t what it used to be then I’m down with that.

• Stromko says:

I’d rather see 4e used for video games and board games. I’ve already tried the latest D&D board game and it was a chore, but at least it was quick, and drawing cookie-cutter characters out of a box really saves a lot of paper and time considering that the final result will be the same. I had a few good sessions of 4e tabletop when a really good DM was running it, but it was a rather inefficient effort. The system worked against any sort of dramatic tension or characterization at every turn, it was only the parts that had nothing to do with the system at all where it could get good.

• Grot_Punter says:

You know, 3.5′s martial adept classes pretty much let you do the whole “cool powers and leap around being awesome” thing before 4th ed. And in 3.5 my DM could actually craft an interesting session that wasn’t combat driven. Its really interesting to see the guy with katana who could stop time through intense meditation enter into a philosophical debate in order to quell political tension.

22. LozTaylor says:

I really can’t wait for this. I’m probably one of 2 people who really enjoyed D&D Heroes, and I’ll still stand by that it was a fantastic game. It had its problems and needed some refining (especially in the story department and a proper quest log would have been great), but it’s a fantastic game, especially in co-op. I’ve been waiting for a game to be close to Heroes for a while now, and this looks like the closest yet.