The Witcher 2: System Specs, Fancy Screens

By Jim Rossignol on April 5th, 2011 at 1:30 pm.

The Witcher 2 looks shiny. But how shiny will it be? And will it really take advantage of our big strong PCs? We can find out more with a closer look a the system specs (which I’ve posted below), as well as some lovely new screenshots. I’ve got ‘em all set to click through to hi-res, should you wish to inspect them closely.

The game is out on May 17th.

Here are those specifications to which your computer machine must adhere:

Miminum System Requirements:
• OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista SP2 / Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
• Memory: 1 GB Windows XP / 2 GB Windows Vista and Windows 7
• Video Card: 512 MB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD3850)

Recommended System Requirements:
• OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista SP2 / Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
• Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom X4
• Memory: 3 GB Windows XP / 4 GB Windows Vista and Windows 7
• Video Card: 1 GB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GeForce GTX260 or ATI Radeon HD4850)

Additionally:
• Sound Card: compatible with DirectX 9.0c
• HDD: 16 GB of disc space
• Disc Drive: DVD x8, compatible with DVD9
• Instalation requires administrator access.
• Game supports Xbox 360 controller for Windows.

My thoughts: Does anyone really only have XP with 1gb of RAM? And perhaps the CPU and videocard on the recommended requirements seem a little high. Or suitably high. After all, we do want something a bit special when it’s a PC-exclusive, eh?

And those screens:

, .

1. Navagon says:

My system doesn’t have specs. I think it may be blind. :(

• bonjovi says:

Should have gone to…

• Navagon says:

Get my computer’s vision augmented?

• Groove says:

Augment-savers? Be killed by two genetically engineered death machines for the price of one?

Sounds like an alt-title for an ST:Enterprise arc

• Heliocentric says:

At least it is a way to tell it is not a console.

• Orija says:

I tend to judge fiction by the quality of the humor and I have to say, I have never laughed so much while reading any other book.

East European fantasy writers and a league ahead of their American and British counterparts.

2. TWeaK says:

The file names (003.jpg and 003s.jpg) for the third screenshot are the wrong way round :o)

3. Spinoza says:

I like the shields. Awesome.

4. coldvvvave says:

Dragon hunters from first novel? Unexpected.

• Bhazor says:

Speaking of the novels.
      Is there a decent english fan/official translation yet? I heard the original translation was pretty bad.

• Daniel Klein says:

I read the German translations, which were very decent. This is probably no help to you at all. Sorry!

• Unaco says:

The Official English translations are pretty good, definitely worth a read I’d say. However, not having read the Polish originals I can’t say if they match up. The only real criticism I’ve heard is the order of translation. The majority of the writing is 2 short story compilations, and 5 novels making up the (Witcher/Blood of Elves) saga. So far, the 1st short story compilation (The Last Wish) and the 1st novel (Blood of Elves – see bottom for link) have been translated, with the 2nd novel coming sometime in late 2011 or early 2012. Some have criticised the fact that the 2nd short story compilation hasn't been translated yet, as they feel it should come (along with the 1st compilation) before the saga novels. Again, not having read the Polish versions, I don't know if that is the case.

But the English translations are definitely worth picking up. They're responsible for my current (somewhat worrying) binging on fantasy fiction, and my need to buy another bookcase. I picked up the 2 books one Friday afternoon, last December… settled down with a pot of tea at 6pm, and was finished The Last Wish by 2am that night and Blood of Elves by Sunday night… I then tore through the 4 ASoIaF books in a month, and am now on book 11 of the Wheel of Time after 2 1/2 months… and already have some Joe Abercrombie to jump into when I'm done with them.

So yeah… I'd recommend picking them up… just be careful as to where it leads.

Edit… dunno why this link wasn’t working right. This is the 1st novel in the saga on Amazon… http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Elves-Andrzej-Sapkowski/dp/0575084847/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302008565&sr=1-

Sunjumper says:

I have to politely disagree with Mr. Klein above, the German translations are an utter disaster, which is more the pitty as almost all the Witcher books are avilable in German now.
      I’d recomend to have a quick test read. For me the style reads like bad online fan fiction (the story is still very good though). I could compare the the English and the German version of the short stories and the English version reads far better.
      As I don’t understand Polish I do not know how they hold up against the original version.

• Teddy Leach says:

I’d just like to say here that the English translations are just about perfect. As are the stories.

• Gvaz says:

Glen Cook is so hard to read

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Gvav: only if you’re seven. Glen Cook is great – although the first few of the Black COmpany books are the best…

• Wozzle says:

Alright, all this European stuff is interesting but is there an American translatation out since that’s all I speak.

Thanks!

• Waltorious says:

The only story I’ve read is the very first one, which comes with the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher. I read it in American English, and it was quite good. It actually got me WAY more excited to play the game than I was before (I have now started playing, haven’t gotten far but also haven’t been disappointed yet). If one assumes that the other English translations are comparable to this one, I would definitely recommend them.

One thing I liked specifically is that it still felt like it was something coming from Eastern Europe. The way the characters speak, while coming across perfectly in English, is simply different from the way an American would speak. It reminded me of a few translations of Russian novels that I’ve read.

5. Anguy says:

Man, this looks gorgeous! All the small tents in the last screenshot, the ligthting in all shots, just great

6. CaLe says:

My processor is really showing its age now and replacing it would involve a whole new motherboard, which I can’t be bothered with. If the game doesn’t run well at all then I may consider just going all out and getting a new system.

• gganate says:

Honestly I think we’ll really have to wait until the next console generation to have to upgrade, considering big-budget pc exclusives are pretty rare and most games seem to be going the Crysis 2 route (which runs much better than the original on my pc).

Carra says:

• bookwormat says:

“The next consoles won’t hit the markets for the next five years. Do you really want a 5 year old PC?”

This would be my personal best case scenario: Not having to upgrade my already 4 1/2 years old PC for another 5 years. A very sweet dream is this!

Oozo says:

Third to last picture looks like a dart board. Will this be the new mini-game? Soldier darting?

• kikito says:

First picture looks like a dancing stance.

Dance Dance Revolution Witcher minigame?

Rinox says:

Dance Dance Scoijatel Revolution?

(har har har)

• Unaco says:

Could be a quirk of the English translations, but I recall the Witcher (sword) fighting style and movements being referred to quite a lot, in the books, as ‘the dance’ or a ‘dance’.

• Wulf says:

@Unaco

That would be interesting. There are fighting styles which can be trained in as a dance, I won’t say too much about this, I’ll let folks research it for themselves, more fun that way. Though I’d never heard of sword combat styles that worked that way, so that’s a bit unique whilst taking inspiration from a particularly clever historical approach to unarmed combat.

I’d actually like that to be true, and not just a mistranslation.

8. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Strange how this, looking more authentically medieval/early-modern than most pseudo-medieval games, actually looks more original and interesting…

Anyone else feel that way?

Rinox says:

What it does differently than most is not to disney-fy everything and drown the world in light (or bloom). That’s is usually what makes the other medieval fantasy games look so silly.

If the first Witcher is anything to go by, they actually want to make disgusting things look disgusting. Not some puritan version of reality where a creepy monster just looks weird and the dirty, fat, stinking innkeeper looks like a kind old granddad instead.

• Falx22 says:

It has scabbards! :D
      …sometimes… :/

• Lord_Mordja says:

@Giant
      I was just about to post this! Don’t get me wrong, there’s a place for comically overdesigned armour (pauldrons!) every now and then, but I really dig realistic designs being used in the Witcher 2.

• Archonsod says:

While most pseudo-fantasy worlds do brown, The Witcher also does grey.

• Wulf says:

I thought I was the only one that felt that way – that the normal fantasy setting has been far too overdone, and that even games like Dragon Age, which pretended to be gritcore, or some other nonsense word, and all realistic, bloody, and word to your mother, yo, tended to pretty much be the same as every other fantasy game set in a fanciful portrayal of medieval England.

This is something I have off and on complained about because of the nature of these games – in that era, you had leagues of slaves to do the labour and build the castles, peasants who lived in shit, where do they all go in a game like Dragon Age? The Witcher wasn’t afraid to show us those, and a fantasy reality-imperfect. I suppose what gets to me the most is that people in these medieval England settings are too perfect, too flawleess, but the era these games were based on were called the bloody dark ages for a reason.

In being honest about this, and by providing some really interesting scenarios, the Witcher is actually a far more interesting setting. But it goes beyond that. It points out that just because something happens to be what we humans perceive as ugly, it does not then, have to be mutually exclusive with evil. That mutual exclusivity is another thing that I’m really not fond of, and I don’t think I should be, either. I mean, everyone being programmed to accept xenophobia. It’s different, therefore it is evil,, KILL IT.

The Witcher subverted this with its werewolf, who was an honourable sort who pursued law and order. And beautiful people who’re about as evil as evil can be. It’s nice to see that sort of mixing up happening, so we’re not just killing anything that looks different than us, because honestly, that’s not my idea of a good time. This is actually why I’m interested in Guild Wars 2, because alongside the player races you’ve forged a truce with, there are also NPC races you can look out for. Races like the Hylek, the Kodan, and the Grawl. This continues to subvert the notion that if it does not look like us, then it must be evil.

I suppose that I see The Witcher as the mature (not just in the boob cards meaning of mature) RPG that Dragon Age had pretenses about being, except that The Witcher just did it, it didn’t brag about it, it simply did it. And that’ll likely be true of the second game by the looks of it.

• Giant, fussy whingebag says:

@Wulf:

That is actually one of the major themes of the Witcher, as fiction. I guess I’m just glad that the games do such a good job of portraying it, when so many others remain entrenched in fantasy tropes without really examining them.

I’ll be interested to see if the upcoming Song of Ice and Fire based games do half as well at this sort of thing. I have a sad suspicion, though, that they will be more examples of generic fantasy with a popular name stamped on them…

9. Bhazor says:

Holy crap that is beautiful.
    Bioware should be ashamed.

10. inertia says:

What’s with the guy with no trousers in the second-to-last picture?

• Shatners Bassoon says:

Realistic betting system. Now you can lose the clothes on your back and the pant’s for your sack!

Astatine says:

This looks fantastic. Even though I know that unlike the mountains in the Skyrim screenies, you probably can’t run over to and climb the ones in these.

I really must get round to playing that copy of Witcher I’ve had lying about since some Steam sale or other…

• Wulf says:

Actually… you can.

They said that that was pretty much the point of them developing their own engine – player freedom.

12. Branthog says:

More importantly – how much content will be wiped out from various versions like the American one? And how many different versions will they be? I can’t count how many different versions of the game they’ve tried to pimp to me on Steam.

And of course it looks better than Dragon Age II. They appear to be making an actual game and not just super padded DLC with 48 instances of the same dungeon. Good on these guys!

• gganate says:

Yeah, the repeating dungeons killed my probable Dragon Age 2 purchase. I can deal with the removal of the tactical camera and the reduced scope of the world, but nothing says “rush job” like overusing the same assets. I barely made it through Oblivion because every castle found out in the forest turned into one of five nearly identical areas.

• LessPopMoreFizz says:

Because y’know, it’s not like they haven’t, with each ‘special edition’ reissue they’ve done, offered all the new content as a *FREE* upgrade to anyone that had bought the game previously too.

It’s not like CD Projekt Red haven’t been held up as the model for how a company SHOULD make things right for their customers after releasing a game with crippling bugs and a poor translation.

• Bats says:

You can blame American censors for this really, and CDProjekt:Red did their best to add it all back for the Enhanced Edition/Director’s cut. Also Steam only offers the latest version for purchase these days.

As for the new one. There will be no American censorship, we’ve fortunately progressed a bit and can get away with more now w/o someone getting their panties in a bunch because someone’s digital tits are on screen

• Dances to Podcasts says:

“we’ve fortunately progressed a bit and can get away with more now w/o someone getting their panties in a bunch because someone’s digital tits are on screen”

*snicker*

• Archonsod says:

“If you want to bitch about something like this, look at titles like Divinity, which a dedicated fan would’ve had to buy FOUR TIMES now.”

Errr, you do know they released a patch for those with the original + expansion to upgrade it to the DKS version, right?

13. barbex says:

Damn, my system just meets minimum.
    Well I’ll just keep on playing the first game cause it’s awesome and try not to look at that beauty over here.

14. Unaco says:

Oooh… Looks lovely. Now I really need to get finishing the 1st game. Been saying that for months, but I’m going to do it this time. I hope… Although I have just installed BG2+ToB.

15. gganate says:

My nearly four year old system is finally looking long in the teeth. I’m in the process of downloading the original Witcher from steam, but I’m always interested in a good rpg.

16. Sweep says:

This game has proper Scottish Dwarves, and I approve of this. The American Dwarves in Dragon Age 2 sounded uncomfortably awkward. Dwarves should be Scottish. Irish, Welsh and Australian are also acceptable answers. Australian Dwarves would be badass. Has any game done Australian Dwarves yet?

• Gundrea says:

I wouldn’t mind Norse Dwarves, that is voiced by Scandinavians. This is because for me Scottish accents are just down the pub whereas Norwegian would actually sound foreign.

• steggieav says:

I remember reading somewhere that Tolkien intended his dwarves to be Jewish. No clue where the whole scottish thing came from.

• Arglebargle says:

I want Cajun Dwarves! Cajun dwarves rowing around in the swamps and gigging alligators! Cajun dwarves and their alligatormen allies!

Joshua says:

I geuss it’s becasue of John Rhys Davies.

17. Baboonanza says:

I’m staying around to have my fuck thanks. Hope you enjoy getting eaten by the monster.

(see shot 3)

• Lilliput King says:

Bit weird, that. I can imagine it being followed by several seconds’ awkward silence.

Oh well. I don’t mind some shonky dialogue in ma foreign RPGs.

• Alaric says:

Why does he have to choose anyway? Can’t he have his fuck, or at least a quickie, and then join them?

• JFS says:

Are people by the name of Sheldon even interested in sexual intercourse?

• Dances to Podcasts says:

So which of the beardies will you have the hot baboon sex with?

18. coldvvvave says:

Whoa, just noticed black-uniformed men with winged helmets, which means Nilfgaard is included.

Thats pretty cool, I didn’t like how first game ignored war part.

19. Vague-rant says:

My laptops just a little shy of the graphics card requirements, but maybe my extra RAM and better processor will even it out? Probably not to be honest.

I do hope though CDP are over estimating slightly. What with them being PC wizards, I think theres a slim chance I I might be able to run it…

Saul says:

They’re using a colour, and using it well! Wonderful. The only other game I can really say that about is Uncharted 2.

21. Outsider says:

Those screenshots made sweet, sweet love to my eyeballs. I’m upgrading my computer tonight, actually, so I will thankfully be surpassing the recommended specs.

22. bwion says:

Hmmm, I should really get around to playing the first game.

And also to putting more RAM in my system and possibly getting a nicer video card.

Not that I really do Day 1 purchases of PC games any more.

23. godgoo says:

good god I absolutely cannot wait to play this- this and battlefield 3 are my most anticipated games of recent memory.

shoptroll says:

Hmmm… GPU is a touch on the high side. Even the minimum spec HD 3850 hasn’t hit 4 years of age.

Amusingly, the 3850 was the recommended spec for Dragon Age II in DirectX 9 mode. Make of that what you will.

25. Lobotomist says:

It seems to be pretty processor and memory intensive (on recommended) other than that its fairly low.

Cant wait !

Harlander says:

Oooh, pretty.

And it looks like my increasingly greybearded rig has a chance of running it at above-minimum settings!

My monitor is currently too diddy to run at more than 1280×1024 which should take a bit of the edge off, anyway

27. arghstupid says:

where are the facial hair requirements?

28. Jad says:

I see no mention of DirectX 11 clearly this game has been horribly consolified and will just be a goddamn port job from the 360 version and CD Projekt doesn’t care about PC gamers anymore and — oh, wait. Nevermind.

29. Sidorovich says:

The first game was ‘orribly unoptimised upon release, and I doubt my ageing Athlon 4800 has the grunt for those pretties.

• Alistair says:

What’s tesselated?

Oops – was supposed to be to D3xter.

30. D3xter says:

I swear I saw the use of Dynamic Tessellation all over the place and Lighting that isn’t possible in DX9 in their latest trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUazuUBZ4Y&hd=1
    I’ll be disappoint if it’s not in the game :/

• Bhazor says:

That’s the most lovingly rendered dry stone wall I’ve ever seen. Tesselation really does make a difference.

31. Bats says:

Turns out the engine will take advantage of multiple cores if you have them to help offload the work. Imagine that, a computer game built with computers in mind! It’s madness I tell ya. May 17th can’t come fast enough =/

32. AbyssUK says:

oh dear 16GB of space, poor alec’s SSD

• mondomau says:

Nonsense, he shall just have to delete some of his Pony riding simulators.

Rinox says:

Why on earth would he do that?

• Wulf says:

Remove the ‘riding’ part from that, and there might actually be a difficult decision involved.

33. Dhatz says:

wtf, its like the first game to demand my full specs: Q6600, 4GB win 7 32bit and DH5770(GPU should be faster than 4850)

34. Teronfel says:

shit,now i have to buy a new graphics card

sonofsanta says:

I just did an excited little wee in my pants.

This is very much going to test my customary wait-3-months-till-it’s-£15 tactic.

36. Thule says:

I’m glad to know that my pc’s specs are well above the recommend specs and I’ll be enjoying this game in all it’s good looking glory this May.

37. Blaq says:

Sigh.

“Here guys, have a look at these Hi-res pictures of Witcher. Marvellous aren’t they? What is that? You can’t admire them because they are full of artifacts which are a result of the horrible JPEG compression? Why haven’t we used PNG? Umm… We were saving space… Yes, not much space on the intarwebz these days, you know.”

/facepalm

38. CapeMonkey says:

Am I weird for being happy it supports the XBox controller?

• orangedragon says:

Not at all. Sometimes it’s nice just to sit back and relax on ye olde comfy couch or chair. Very tempted in getting a PC 360 controller for this game.

39. Furius says:

Rekon ol’ stripey shields should be positioned in front of the archers. They’re not going to stop many missiles hitting the crossbowmner there are they?

Looks ace

• Ultra Superior says:

I’ve been analyzing that too. Thing is, witcher is not really using much ranged speels or arrows, so if they’re aiming at witcher or other swordsman, it might be like this:

Crossbows take long to reload and archers can’t really afford to miss, so when their crossbows are loaded, crossbowmen step forward, to get better aim (who would directly charge pointing crossbow anyway?)

And after they fire, they step back behind the shields to reload.

• Furius says:

Yep that makes sense- there’s a crossbowman-sized gap bet’wixt each shieldsman. Good thinking.

Also- Looks like TW1′s “just get hammered with your mates” quest is returning . That was amazing. Why don’t more games actively encourage you to sit around getting smashed. I hope they have a “get inappropriately hammered at a posh do” quest again as well

• Urthman says:

Actually, it looks like the player has snuck up on their formation from above and behind then shouted some rude taunt that made them turn around and face him.

Either that or he’s interrupted a firing squad who were about to execute that woman.

• Ultra Superior says:

Makes sense, though the woman looks dressed pretty well for an execution. She wouldn’t want those expensive robes ruined.

If they’re just arresting her, then the number of CROSSBOWMEN involved is rather excessive. Then maybe if she is a witch….

• Lukasz says:

@Funus

Truth, indeed. I love how I keep a stash of alcohol just to get wasted with random people.

40. Duffin says:

There is no denying that visually this thing is bloody sexy. I’m talking Scarlett Johansson in knee high socks sexy.

41. faelnor says:

Screen 003 shows a weird use of fog/LOD (I can’t say) on the left-side building but except this, it is all very very sweet looking. Impatient.

• Ultra Superior says:

similar weird glitch can be seen on the last screenshot – third man from the right. (Turned back to witcher)

It is some sort of bad dithering that reminds me of awful GTA4 shadows.

42. Duffin says:

As far as I know they are looking into the possibility and have said it’s something they’d like to do. But at the same time they say they haven’t done any work yet and their only priority is the pc release.

43. Ralud says:

Although I’m very much interested I will restrain myself and wait a month after release, since games these days no matter who developed them needs a bit of “on site maintenance”.

44. Commisar says:

Allright, for once, i have more than recommended system specs

Gabbo says:

It’s weird. I too have higher specs, and yet I feel they’re too low.

45. Flobulon says:

I no longer have the minimum specs for an RPG.

IT HAS BEGUN

46. Gvaz says:

This doesn’t look as good as the initial cut scene shots but it looks pretty good nonetheless

47. Mario Figueiredo says:

I too am a little surprised at the CPU requirements. They went a bit of the charts there and I’m not sure exactly what can possible be so demanding of the CPU on a game of this nature.

@Bats, I dunno. It seems more like they still have the same problems from the first engine. i.e. the engine was too CPU intensive also.

48. Mario Figueiredo says:

Stunning visuals overall. But definitely I’m not too fond of the human models.

49. noodlecake says:

I have no idea if this means it will run on my laptop. Probably not. :( Why can’t graphics card specs be easier to understand like RAM and Processor speeds?

Everything else is fine but based on the fact that The Witcher didn’t like my laptop I’m guessing no.

Although Dragon Age wasn’t amazingly fond of my laptop on medium settings but the slightly better Dragon Age 2 runs fine like that. :P