Hearts Of Iron III: For The Video Diary

By Jim Rossignol on April 6th, 2011 at 1:19 pm.

Hearts Of Iron III: For The Motherland is the second expansion for all-encompassing wargame, Hearts Of Iron III, and it’s “coming soon”. What it does is basically fill out an already complex wargame with even more details. There are now new strategic resources in the game, as well as partisan factions, internal politics and coups. But you need not take my word for it, because lead designer Chris King totally explains it up in a new video diary, which you can see below.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. mod the world says:

Coincidentally(?) there is a sale over at GamersGate, 70% off.

2. pupsikaso says:

Awaiting comments about pasty, unfit, stammering white gamer stereotypes.

3. TC-27 says:

Hi,

Is this game now patched enough to be worth a look? – I am a big EU3 fan but the negative forum comments about this (with Mexico invading Germany in 1935 and whatnot) put me off.

• cocoleche says:

Same here, a bit sceptic about the current state of its bugginess. Also too lazy to play even EU III, shame on me.

4. ru_disa says:

The game (HoI 3 + SF) in its current state is definitely very much worth a look, in my opinion. I play it regularly and it makes me a very happy person.

5. Alphabet says:

Pah, this is a casual, browser-based lunchtime game compared to War In The East. :) When are we getting the WIT on that?

• Oak says:

I don’t think that’s happening unless Tim Stone has something in the works. In the meantime, Bruce Geryk has been writing a pretty great series of game diaries on it at Qt3. It’s the closest I’ll probably ever get to playing the thing.

• theleif says:

Got WITE a couple of weeks ago, and I’m pretty amazed by it. So far, I’ve just played 2-3 scenarios against easy AI, which let’s you just play the game without worrying too much about the details, while only dabbling with the complex parts of it.

I think Bruce nails down what’s amazing about the game in the conclusion of: War in the East: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Detail

“War in the East finally gets Big Detail right by making sure that the whole thing works when you step back ten paces. I don’t know how they did that, and I don’t care. I’m just trying to figure out how to extricate my encircled panzer divisions.”

I agree.

6. Megadyptes says:

In related news, Darkest Hour, a new game build on the Hearts of Iron 2 engine was released today/yesterday and it looks pretty awesome. I blew £35 HoI3 and refuse to spend more money on money on expansions that are basically just large patches with a price tag on to make it enjoyable. Darkest Hour costs me £8 and looks like a bunch more fun then anything HoI3 + addons could ever be

7. TC-27 says:

The first rule of Paradox games is never buy within a year of release day….

8. theleif says:

The new neutrality mechanisms and the revision of the victory conditions seems like great additions. Also, they have finally found and fixed the “supply hole” for Japan.
    Really looking forward to this. HOI III is a great game, and for me the best in the series. It’s far from perfect, but the scope of the game and the possibilities it gives you are unrivalled.

Ps: the supply bug fix will also be in a patch for Semper Fi.

• battles_atlas says:

This has piqued my interest in HOI III. Just been playing the second game again, and this new feature would really improve the game. Playing as the Axis, the Russian surrender never triggered after I took their western half, so I was left with the choice yesterday of either pushing them all the way into the Pacific – massively tedious – or manually creating the event by taking control of Russia and surrendering the western half of the country to Germany. To do this though was ridiculous – I had to take photos on my camera of the game map to get all the territory names, then enter the 50-odd names individually on the peace list. Testiment to how much I love this game/how much of a loser I am that I was willing to do it.

9. thebigJ_A says:

I’m just waiting for the next version of the Historical Plausibility Project mod to be done. It seems like it’ll make the game far more interesting.

The downside is, this new HOI expansion seems like it has some great ideas, so once it comes out I’ll then have to wait till HPP catches up with it.