My Lord: Lord Of Ultima Launched

By John Walker on April 6th, 2011 at 8:51 am.

Boobs might actually help.

EA Phenomic’s project with German developer Bigpoint, Lord Of Ultima, has launched, freed from beta. It’s a browser-based MMO RTS, which boasts will continue changing your territory while you’re logged out. It’s got Ultima in the title. I’m not clear why.

This is EA’s attempt to muscle in on the Evony market, wielding the Ultima name as their conquering flag. But it really doesn’t seem to have much to do with the franchise, beyond being set in the same universe.

It’s free to play, but of course should the mood take you diamonds are available to purchase with real-world money.

Here’s what EA says about it:

“The strategy game produced by the German game development studio EA Phenomic whisks players away to the world of Caledonia – a kingdom dispersed across many islands where players have to embark on a long and arduous journey to evolve from simple settler to the Lord of Ultima. The path to success lies in their ability to master the arts of diplomacy and trade as well as their ability to gain military dominance quickly and conquer foreign lands. Each player is the master of their own fate: They can travel down the path to power and glory as a kind and benevolent ruler or obtain wealth and power as a feared and cruel conqueror. In addition to classic strategic game elements, players can also look forward fighting for valuable treasure in various quests and dungeons.”

What I can tell you is that I’m going to refer to it as Lou.

, , , , , , .

1. Meneth says:

“Boobs might actually help.”
    Bait and switch :/

Oh right, the game.
    I’ve never been a fan of microtransactions, so I doubt I’ll ever play it.

2. MasterBoo says:

Wasn’t this game out a year ago already?

3. Maykael says:

“My lord! A glorious victory will soon be yours!” I will never be able to hear the “my lord” phrase with anything, but Japanese accent ever again. :)

• lunarplasma says:

I’ll never be able to think of any sentence beginning with “My Lord!” without instantly thinking of boobies.

4. Koojav says:

Some useful info about the game ? Anyone ?

• Burny says:

It looks pretty enough, can be addictive for anyone with a weakness for building stuff and has a nice competitive alliance system included with ingame alliance-forums, chat etc.. There’s a gigantic “but”, however.

I played it for a couple of month when it entered open beta. The building up, which was addictive in the beginning, became an absolute chore as time went by. If you wanted to play competitively at a decent level (otherwise the game is not much fun) with your alliance, you had to dedicate more time everyday (spread across the day), just in order to constantly grow your economy and armies. At that level, you practically had to buy stuff that would ease the pain (larger build queue etc.). It might be, that I’d come to a point, where the overall amount of time would’ve stayed constant, but I would’ve still have to constantly put time into doing essentially the same over and over again (chose from a handful of potential city layouts, build 100 buildings, level all up to 10 etc.).

For me, it eventually became more work than my actual studies, and studies became more “fun” than the actual game. It’s been close to a year after I stopped and not having followed the game any more, I’m not aware of any changes that they made, which would reduce the amount of time you have to invest. There is a reason why the stereotype of an unemployed person, who plays browser games all day long, exists. I’m also burned on any kind of persistent browser game now.

It’s free in the beginning, so try it. Never forget when you build your first city though: later in the game you might have between 30-80 of those and you’ll have to build up and manage all of them. If that’s worth your time, you’ll have to see for yourself.

5. mistwolf says:

RPS is usually not quite this behind. I played this and got bored of it months and months ago. It was ok, but is a mix of really high level people, people who quit, and people who would love to play if they weren’t just prey for the high level people.

• ShaunCG says:

RPS covered the launch of the beta on January 10th 2010. Obviously it would be slightly crazy to expect everyone to remember a site’s past coverage, or to search the site with possible search strings, but when there’s a clickable tag between the post you just read and the comment you just wrote, you do look a bit silly.

6. razorblade79 says:

for the first couple hours it was actually fun but then this was my first browser game of this kind. probably also my last.

7. MrEvilGuy says:

I guess this explains EA’s recent attack on Ultima IV?

Andy_Panthro says:

Nah, that’s apparently for a different reason.

Latest theories being either a new MMO, flash/browser versions of their old games, some sort of facebook thing.

Carra says:

I played it for a while and it’s an OK game. However, it’s mostly just a different take on Travian. And after a while there’s not much to do.

These days, I’m having fun with Die2Nite. Lovely game with a lot of *new* ideas.

• James says:

I’ve been waiting and waiting for them to add some more stuff, seems like the updates pretty much stopped after release. Shame too, it has lots of potential but it’s got some pretty rough edges in terms of potential grief/abuse.

• Alder says:

They launch new season in Die2Nite at April 20. Promising a lot of new features

• James says:

@Alder

Well, I’ll be there then. :]

9. Navagon says:

Your CSS keeps going walkies.

MonkeyMonster says:

I’m gonna have to steer clear of this. I have enough trouble with blight of the immortals and have dabbled to my time detriment in travian, knnnnnigits of camelot and others…
    What i’d like ideally is a web based game I can save and come back to of this genre, so I can do a bit, stop, save and then come back later. None of this 247 lark needed to optimise building strategies…

11. Hoaxfish says:

This is EA’s attempt to muscle in on the Evony market

the stolen images, false advertising, malwaring market?

12. arccos says:

My favorite of these types of games has been Stronghold Kingdoms by far. Its really the only one with the feeling of the Stronghold series, and plays really nicely.

I quit after getting sick of never really being in conflict, though. You’re either completely wiping out an opponent, or being wiped out yourself. You never really get crippled and have to come back, which is kind of sad.

13. ScubaMonster says:

Blah nm

14. Griddle Octopus says:

I think they’re more concerned about maintaining their trademark for Ultima than exercising it; don’t trademarks lapse after a while if not used?

Could also be to do with Garriott making a new MMO named after Lord British…