RPS Social Club Meeting April 16th, May 28th

By Quintin Smith on April 6th, 2011 at 6:32 pm.

its funny because guinness has iron in it

Last month’s RPS social club meet-up (which I told you guys about here) in London was a thing of beauty. Good people. Laughter. Somebody buying me a pint of Guinness so that I would have some iron.

Almost as excitingly, the venue – the Blue Posts pub – kicked ass, so it’s my great pleasure to confirm that we’ve got it booked from 8pm for the evenings of April 16th and May 28th, which are the dates of the next two Social Clubs (once again organised by stellar RPS reader Siri HommelsgĂ„rd). Ladies and gents, get those dates in your diaries! And since it’s my understanding that at the last Social Club people were present and drinking by the mid afternoon, feel free to show up a little earlier. For my part, I’ll be pressuring Kieron to come along too now that he’s back from his honeymoon, and maybe one of the others will make the precarious climb down from Castle Shotgun. As for me, I’ll see you guys there!

, , .

1. Alethron says:

I’ll be there, wooo! Get Gril to come along as well!

• Xercies says:

I expect sausages!

• Alex Bakke says:

Hmm, might be able to go.

• Meat Circus says:

The last one was SPLENDID. I spoke to some people what I don’t know who we are about games and shit. And drunk boozes.

What’s not to?

• HexagonalBolts says:

I’ll come!… I won’t actually… ‘know’ anyone from real life there though… was everyone in that situation last time? Also, I hope we have name tags with our forum names on, heh.

• Premium User Badge Stense says:

The last one was ace, really nice to meet with you fine people. Should be along for the next one. Look forward to seeing you all again.

• Alex Bakke says:

I met up with Alethron and others like, 3 or 4 hours before we got to the social club event, but before that, nope!

(If Gril has shaved off that beast of a moustache, I will be very displeased.)

• Griddle Octopus says:

The moustache has had a bit of a trim, sadly. It must die soon, because even I wouldn’t kiss me with it.

I’ll be there, gods allowing.

2. DrGonzo says:

Bah humbug! London pah! etc

One day there will hopefully be one in the Midlands.

• Quintin Smith says:

Do something in your local neighbourhood area!

• MrFwar says:

+1 to this.

• Quinnbeast says:

Aye, a local equivalent would be entertaining. Getting one on the go for Glasgow would have some good potential. We could try and get the boys from Consolevania to attend, which would be the stuff of legends.

• Chris D says:

Glasgow would be good. Not quite as good as Edinburgh of course, and preferably the pub just round the corner from me. Do we have enough Scots/Northerners to do something at this end of the country?

• Greg Wild says:

We should start up RPS Chapters.

(Rock paper) shotgun Midlands Chapter President.

• Meat Circus says:

FOR THE BOOZE EMPRUH!

• Shih Tzu says:

Um… Anyone in… L.A. or Orange County? :(

• HexagonalBolts says:

Manchester!

• DrGonzo says:

Indeed we should. I know there is at least 3 of us in Nottingham alone, I’m sure a lot more around. It could be fun, but of course, we won’t get to meet the lovely RPS themselves.

• Greg Wild says:

Also, in Nottingham, the chaps who run Game City regularly hold various “Game City Nights”. On the 28th they’ve got one organised visited by the chaps doing the work on the Oddworld games at the moment or something. We could attend as the RPS bloc if anyone’s interested.

3. Kieron Gillen says:

Unless something goes hilariously amiss, I’ll be there.

KG

4. Xercies says:

Hmm I’m actually near the location this time, tempting, tempting.

5. mkultra says:

Why can’t all of you buy a ticket to ride the Cool Train and move to the US already?

6. Twilightx says:

aww, I’ll come to London too late :( Please tell me, there will be something happening in summer too (June – August)… please? :)

7. DD says:

I hate living on the opposite side of the world!! How about one in Portland, Oregon ehhh?

• walk_star says:

I’m up in Seattle, we may just have to organize something…

8. Lusit says:

We should have some cool meetups on the East Coast.

• Jad says:

I just Wikipedia’d “East Coast” and it doesn’t look like there are too many of them outside of the US (disambiguation mentions some regions in the UK, but has no separate article about it, and there’s articles about the east coast of New Zealand and Peninsular Malaysia) so I feel fairly confident that I will not come across as too US-centric in assuming you mean the East Coast of the United States of America.

If that is the case: yes! I live in the city that keeps on getting attacked by aliens and viruses in games like Crysis 2 and Prototype. Do you live in or near the city that is a wasteland in Fallout 3? Or a different place that I cannot think of a game reference to?

(Left 4 Dead 1 partially takes place in Philly, right? Any Boston-based games out there? Yes! AaaAAAaaaAA takes place in [future] Boston! This is kind of fun actually.)

• Saburou says:

Any chance of a New York City meet up with the RPS fellas?

9. KauhuK says:

I doupt there are enough RPS reading Finns living near enough each other to get this kind of meeting. I would come to London if I had money for the flight. I could stay with my aunt for few days there.

10. Mavus says:

Count me in

11. Premium User Badge Andy_Panthro says:

Are there many RPS-ers (RPSians?) up north?

Surely there’s enough folk up here to make an RPS-meet-o-chat in Newcastle or somesuch?

12. ColOfNature says:

Rock Paper Roadshow? A different town every month! RPS events all over the country!! All over the WORLD!!!

13. The_B says:

I now like to think of Quintin as the Rapunzel of RPS, letting down his golden flowing locks so that the other members of the Hivemind are able to meet with the people waiting outside Castle Shotgun.

14. abigbat says:

NICEICLES!

I shall get a train down.

15. JayTee says:

Well that’s interesting, I’m in London on the 16th of April but for the Sunday Times Wine Festival, which will be throwing my heavily inebriated body out at about 21.00 or so. If my legs and more importantly my brain continue to function I may stumble along fashionably late.

16. Premium User Badge Oozo says:

Ah, first date is of too short a notice, second one will see me listening very closely to the likes of Battles and the Walkmen, on some very likely muddy terrain.
    If there will ever be another one, though, and it’s announced well in advance, I might take a London dwelling friend by her word and hospitality, board a plane, go and see War Horse in the New London Theatre and have a pint with the brave RPS-folk (that’s what people do when it’s raining in London after all, ain’t it?).

17. Vanderdecken says:

Gah! I’ll be up at uni then, if the first was a week earlier I could join in on the way up there. However, I’d be happy to lead an RPS social in York if people wanted to meet up – I’m a student there, and know my way on a tour of several nice pubs and cocktail joints that aren’t on the verge of being clubs or projectile-vomiting competitions.

So yes. RPS come to York! for a north-ish but still in England social.

Alternatively, Edinburgh during the Festival this year? Catch some shows at the same time for people making the journey?

18. rasputinsownbear says:

Snowstorms, corrupt government AND no RPS meetups? Moscow sucks.

19. Noodle says:

16th is Dangerously close to the Portal 2 release date. And my Birthday.

Just sayin’..

20. Premium User Badge Harlander says:

I needs must get some of this, this time. Too bad the train times are so shoddy! Last one back at half nine? What is this!?!?

21. The_Great_Skratsby says:

I recently moved to London from Australia and know a grand total of five people.
    Alas I don’t post on the forums, I should fix that. But I’ll gladly come along date and time, no issue for me. Such is the life of an unemployed graduate expat.

22. destroy.all.monsters says:

If only I lived in civilized Europa. Alas I live in California where the most successfully evil president in history was once governor.

• Shih Tzu says:

I’m in California too! There’s some of us! I’m in the Southern half right now, though I know other RPS readers in the Bay Area.

• Quinnbeast says:

Well, the missus has extended family in both Ventura County and Santa Cruz… but from Glasgow, I don’t fancy the taxi fare home.

• ManaTree says:

Interesting! I’m currently a student in the Bay Area. We should make something out of this. But I’m unaware of any other RPS readers.

I would, however, be willing to setup events, times and host the thing (albeit I know I wouldn’t be the best choice for it).

Anyone else?

• destroy.all.monsters says:

I’m in the East Bay. Perhaps a meet up of some sort is in order.

23. SanguineAngel says:

I shall not be there this time sadly. Birthday to attend and I don’t reckon I could realistically make it to both. It is a shame as I wanted to actually meet a few more people who I never spoke to last time!

I’ll definitely make the May meet though!

Have fun guys!

24. Daave says:

Good show Siri!

I hope your Shogun campaign went well Quinns, I accosted just before everyone went home and you were bemoaning how long it takes you to get your troops to the front lines. I just finished my first one and started a new one on very hard :)

25. felisc says:

mh, how about making things fancy and having the next one in paris… ? right ? no ? no, ok.

• adonf says:

Paris is closer to London than most of England, so why not go to that one ?
      edit: Of course I meant closer by train time, not by distance.

• ix says:

Even from Belgium there’s really not much of a difference between the time it takes to get to London vs. Paris.

I’d love to go end of May, if I can get out of work for a while. I’ve never been particularly embedded in RPS though, but even us story commenters are welcome, right? :)

26. Fitzmogwai says:

I’ll do my best to be there.

However, being a loverman and a DJ as well as a gamer, I’m going to be spinning the wheels of steel on the evening of the 16th in Norf Lahndan, specifically The Lexington on Pentonville Road. It’s called Prom Night, it’s all 80s all the time, people get dressed up and everything for it and if any of you lovely RPS people want to come and shuffle about to TOP CHOONS, let me know and I’ll get you in. Possibly free on the guest list if there’s only a few of you, possibly for only a couple of quid each on a group discount if there’s a bunch of you.

Godly RPS writers will, of course, be guest listed.

Hope this linky code works. Anyway, we’re at http://www.promnightuk.com or http://www.facebook.com/promnightuk which has got better photos on it.

Let me know if you’re interested in coming along. You can email me at fitzmogwai at hotmail dot com

• Siri says:

DO NOT STEAL MY BABIES OR I MUST ACT VIOLENTLY TOWARDS YOU WHEN WE MEET

WITH A STICK

27. mogofogo says:

You guys are never coming to Asia, are you?

• ManaTree says:

You know, it’s funny you say that because I actually have met an RPS reader in Korea (both of us were there temporarily. If he’s seeing this, hi bildo!). That was quite fun.

• mogofogo says:

Yeah I suppose, but still; I love RPS all the same.
      I come for the dry wit,
      I stay for the comments.
      They’re addictive as hell :D

• ManaTree says:

Oh, I wasn’t really disputing anything as that was most most informal.

But I totally agree with you! HUMOR FOR EVERYONE. And journalism. Apparently.

• Premium User Badge emotionengine says:

Woah! I’m in Seoul right now. Didn’t know there were (are) others in the neighbourhood!

28. ManaTree says:

Hmm, guess here is better than ever. If any RPS readers are around the Bay Area (which is where I usually reside), how would you feel about a meetup? Seems like it’d be quite workable. Give me an email to circuitr33 (at) gmail (plus the rest), and…we’ll see what comes of that?

29. bluespacetiger says:

This rather has made me feel I should start getting involved in the RPS community. I’ve been reading RPS since it started and would very much like to meet some of you gentlemen-folk. I’ll be in London for Uni at the second date, so perhaps I’ll see some of you there.

30. Stephen Roberts says:

Last meet up I sadly missed. The party I went to instead was shite.

April 16th I’m busy. This is creepy, I’m never busy.

May 28th… see you there for geek wrasslin’! I’ll try and bring a non-gamey friend? Is that okay?

31. Tomn says:

Been lurking for a while now, just wanted to say that I reckon I’ll drop by, in case you need information on how many people will be over there.

32. Ian says:

Do Team RPS not ever need to go UP NORF for work purposes? If they do they should totally be organised meet-o-chats while they’re about for us non-southern folk.

• Premium User Badge Shockeh says:

It’s grim up north… but we do drink and play games quite a bit, you know.

33. Scatterbrainpaul says:

I’m too old to meet new people

34. lazysuperhero says:

This is cool…

Long time reader. First post…

35. wiper says:

I might be able to come! And attend the social club, too.

But yes, I may well be in reach of this so-called ‘public house’, even though it’s at the wrong end of London.

36. AdamK117 says:

Sounds good, I’ve been a long time reader (and commenter, but not on the forums) but I’m pretty much penned into dropping around solo (I don’t think too many of my mates would be keen), anyone else same situ?