Skull-To-Ball: Blood Bowl World Cup 2011

By Jim Rossignol on April 6th, 2011 at 2:28 pm.

I pretty much look like this before tea each morning
Registrations for the Blood Bowl World Cup 2011 are now open, although it’s frankly as clear as mud (churned beneath the boot of a team of dirty orcs) exactly how you do that. There are some details here and here, but there doesn’t seem to be an actual entry form, because there are no links where there should be links. Anyway, there will once again be thousands of dollars worth of prizes, and a big old real-world final in Cologne, Germany. So that might be worth (eventually) signing up for if you happened to be interested in Blood Bowl. Which, for some reason, I believe some of you might be.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. President Weasel says:

Some of us are! This particular one of us isn’t good enough to play in the World Cup though.
    Come play blood bowl with us on the forum.

2. Hensler says:

Anybody know where I can get a good deal on the Legendary Edition? I’ve been meaning to check this out – definitely not going to enter this tournament, but it seems like a good time to ask about deals :) .

• ChainsawHands says:

£8.99 on Play.com.

Nuffle demands you buy it!

• Hensler says:

That’s the best deal I’ve seen – BUT I’m in the US and they won’t ship to me.

Anybody know of any American friendly deals?

• Ian says:

A couple that claim to be selling for $17.95. Didn’t click through for stock availibility or anything.

• Barnaby says:

I have had my eye on this game for a while as I yearn for an American football game on PC, even if it does have elves and orcs. They seem very reluctant to put it on sale as even during the Steam sales they hardly drop the price. Little annoying tbh, and I’m not willing to take a chance if it sucks.

What would be fantastic is if 2k made a new NFL game and released it on PC. I play the shit out of NBA2K11 and I just love the career mode.

Hopefully they drop the price enough during the next Steam sale that I’ll be willing to bite.

• Matzerath says:

I’ve seen it for as low as 7.99 recently, I believe — though those were weekend sales that have passed. But if you keep your eyes open, it seems likely it’ll be that cheap again in the near future, if immediacy isn’t an issue.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Hilariously enough it just went on sale on Steam for the weekend. 75% so it’s £7.49 for UK, go look yourself for other currencies.

After the steaming pile of poo the first version (aka unfinished edition) was which they had the audacity to charge £30 for is anything to go by, even £7.50 is too much for me however.

3. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I really should start playing Blood Bowl LE a bit more. It’s a quite a lot of fun, although I’m really not that good at it.

4. Ian says:

Sod that, organise us an “official” RPS cup! With free rocks, newspapers and shotguns for the winner.

5. Kaira- says:

Okay, this is as good place as any to ask – is this game a football-warfare-manager-like or what? Is it easy to get into? And finally, is it good?

• President Weasel says:

It is a (considerably less buggy than it used to be, but still not quite perfect) PC adaptation of an old (but still going) Games Workshop table-top game: a fantasy version of American Football, but with more violence, and set in the same universe as the Warhammer fantasy table-top war game.

It’s pretty good.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

While you have to manage your team it isn’t a managing game. The whole thing is about playing (and preferably winning) your matches. And if you’re not aware of what BloodBowl is: it’s a rather violent variation of american football set in Games Workshop’s Warhammer Fantasy setting.

And what’s fun.. that depends on who you’re asking. I enjoy it a whole lot.

• Arathain says:

Worth adding- while the best player will win more often than not, there is a substantial element of chance in the game. It is, after all, a digital version of a tabletop game. Many D6s are involved.

Personally, I love the crazy surprises; nothing beats the unlikely series of events that result in a touchdown you’ll remember for a long time, and nothing is quite so wrenching as your favourite player tripping on a simple sodding Go For It roll and dying. It’s quite the emotional thing, but I know some people hate things being outside their control.

6. DarkFenix says:

Anyone interested in Blood Bowl but a bit nervous about entering some kind of super-duper-hardcore league and getting their arse kicked should come and play with us nice RPS types.

President Weasel was nice enough to post the link in his comment above; we’re generally nothing amazing, many of us having started out BB multiplayer careers by jumping in at the deep end here. It’s a fairly loose structure, approximately 3 games a month so those of you lacking free time shouldn’t be too hard pressed. We also have a challenge based league for those inclined to play more often.

7. Curvespace says:

Yes, join us. Join ussss…..

8. Ian says:

Once FUMBBL finally transfers its new client to the League division that would be the ideal way to see if you like Blood Bowl as the new client is great, the stats tracking and personalisation is better than Cyanide’s (not hard) and it actually has ALL the races and stars and shit. Oh, and it’s for free.

You would do this in the RPS group, obvs. And then if you decided you wanted to splash out on Cyanide’s shinies the RPS groups would be there with a welcoming, bloody embrace.

9. apricotsoup says:

The last BB tourney was a bit of a shambles.

I should probably check out the rps league more as my own league has stumbled through people not playing for weeks on end (and it’s hard to be mean when it’s your boss that’s responsible) and our open league never really took off.

10. BunnyPuncher says:

If you’re a genuine fan of BB then you’ll already have your ticket to the NAF World Cup :)

11. SimianJim says:

I’m disappointed that RPS never re-visited their Blood Bowl write-ups when the new version was released. That was great reading!

Comment on this story