The Fast And The Führerious: Panzer Corps

By Quintin Smith on April 6th, 2011 at 4:41 pm.

If my cousin's child was a boy he was planning to name him Tank. True story. It was a girl.

So long as I’m listening to Vera Lynn and posting about World War 2 strategy games, here’s something we missed- Slitherine are also publishing Panzer Corps, their homage to the classic Panzer General strategy series, which I know is a classic because I think I saw it on my cousin’s PC during one of those rare occassions my 8 year old self lifted his head from a bag of Monster Munch. The new game isn’t a looker, but the trailer below sees the devs getting around that with admirable creativity. I’ve put some details together after the jump, too.

I’m not actually listening to Vera Lynn. I’m listening to this! That’s Cactus‘s music blog, by the way. It’s pretty great! And not dead, either. He’s just behind a bit.

So, yeah. Panzer Corps will offer Nazi-centric turn based strategy with a branching campaign, units which carry over from one mission to another, famous real-life Aces to fill your tanks with and, most excellently of all, the Panzer VIII Maus. Only two of these absurd super-heavy tanks were ever built in real life (by Porsche, of all people), they had a top speed of 8.1 mph and had to be transported by specially designed train carraiges. Excellent stuff.

Trailer!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Ignorant Texan says:

Old men love their war songs….

2. Teddy Leach says:

Tanks: Like angry houses.

3. Koozer says:

That’s one hell of a headline.

4. Kakrafoon says:

Persistent units, you say? Heroes? Branching campaign? Rumbling Nazi metal monsters? I’m soooo in!

5. Fumarole says:

One of these days I’ll pick up Panzer General on GOG and return to the trenches. And then I’ll have to grab this one too, I suppose.

• Kakrafoon says:

Trenches, you say? Hah, how wrong you are. Panzer General is all about sweeping mobile warfare, all blitzkrieg. Sitting around in trenches waiting to get barraged and shot is definitely not an option here… :-)

• banski83 says:

Just wanted to ask, as I’ve seen the Panzer General titles bandied about in a few threads on here: which is deemed the better game of the two available on GOG.com? Panzer General 2, or Panzer General 3D: Assault?

6. fallingmagpie says:

There’d better only be two Panzer VIII Maus tanks in the game too, or the Panzer fanboys are going to go apeshit.

7. Springy says:

Well, isn’t that trailer just the loveliest.

8. Calneon says:

What an awful trailer. Way to tell me absolutely nothing about the game (maybe they don’t want you too see it?).

• cmi says:

Saw several screenshots, it looks just like a remake of panzer general. that’s it. and depending on the price tag i’ll probably like it ;)

9. oatish says:

Daaamn,

I am loving Slitherine right now – The last game article you posted and now this one?

Both of these are must gets as Panzer General II is still installed and the old-school Close Combat games were dope.

10. Andy_Panthro says:

Looks good to me, I like a bit of tank-on-tank action.
    It’s name will also go on the list…

[edit] on a similar note, there’s a mini HOI game for £8 on GamersGate, does anyone know if it’s worth getting?

Darkest Hour:

11. Keith Nemitz says:

I’m looking forward to this! I enjoyed Panzer Tactics on the DS. This looks better and for a bigger screen, too!

@oatish, +1 for Close Combat!

12. Cronstintein says:

Just wanted to say, this was my favoritest title of the month.

13. utharda says:

Panzer General kept me busy for evar!

Also, as a washington Dc resident, I truley enjoyed conquering washington dc.

it really was one of those childhood defining moments.

Oddly enough, I grew up to be incrredibly left wing…

14. Zwack says:

Probably worth mentioning that there are various free versions of Steel Panthers sloshing around the internets if turn-based WWII strategy is your thing.

15. pr1001 says:

Oh man, Steel Panthers and Panzer General were some of the first ‘real’ games I played. Love ‘em!

Comment on this story