Oh-Oh, Uru: Myst Online Goes Open Source

By Jim Rossignol on April 7th, 2011 at 8:14 am.

I've got one of these under the sink.
Myst Online cannot die. It has been struck down and risen again on endless occasions. And now, it seems it is ascending to some kind of internet immortality by becoming an open source project. Cyan’s “Rand” explains: “Today we are announcing that the sources for the MOULA client engine and development tools (CyanWorlds.com Engine) will be made available as open source. At the same time, MOSS which is a MOULA server replacement (written by a’moaca’ and cjkelly) will also be released. Both open source projects will be hosted on OpenUru.org.”

So that’s an open source thing that happened.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Ba5 says:

So now we can play it for free on private servers, legally?

2. Tweakd says:

Amazing!!!!!!!!! Those that still haven’t played this should do so now.

3. D3xter says:

So… what is this? Like an MMO or something or puzzle-based Adventures?

• Cinek says:

Yep, basically. MMO puzzle game with RPG elements made by community.

• Wulf says:

It’s also got strong adventure themes, due to there being one hell of a story, and probably some of the most beautiful environments your eyes will ever behold in a game, this game was put together by imagineers, the sorts of people who have worlds in their heads.

If you like exploring and you can deal with the puzzles (which are not as tough as a normal Myst game, and actually quite intuitive once you get a feel for how each one works), then you’re going to have a blast with just wandering around, enjoying the environments, and reading the various books.

• phlebas says:

I got the impression the interesting story bits involved intervention from the creators – is that not the case?

• Urthman says:

The story is mostly archeological. It’s interesting things that happened in the past that you try to piece together from journals and other clues leading up to some significant actions you can take in the present.

• Dragos Serban says:

Myst Online is very much like Myst. You get to explore fantastic worlds written by a civilisation that had the power to link to these worlds via linking books. While exploring them, you will have to solve puzzles to uncover more of the story. The plan was to have a live story, but that can’t happen with a lot of funding.

The best part of Myst Online is the community. Everybody is eager to help and very friendly, and we’re quite intolerant of people who do not behave properly.

The story is one of the best I’ve seen, and it builds upon the Myst series AND the three novels which tell the story of the D’ni.

So, try it, don’t give up if it doesn’t make any sense, and if you like it join the forums and hang out in the public Ages :-)

• DrGonzo says:

Ok, using the “word” imagineers has made me angry. If it’s anything like the single player Mysts, then it will be a bunch of those free models you get with 3d modelling software randomly plonked about a world. People then call it beautiful for some reason.

• Dragos Serban says:

Myst’s Ages do not make much sense at first, but once you explore them you realise they are like that for a reason. Myst, for example, was that way because of Atrus’ desire to build (slightly eccentric) structures on the island to protect the linking books. To each their own though :)

4. Cinek says:

WEEEEEEEEEEE……
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

5. MrEvilGuy says:

I keep trying to play this, failing.

6. SquareWheel says:

Hooray!

7. Wulf says:

I’ve known that this was coming for a long time, but they had issues with various libraries that they couldn’t open source, but now it’s here. Now it is here. Oh my. *breathes.* Oh my. I can’t even begin to think what nutty things the community will start doing now.

And it cannot die because something that beautiful must not die. :p

8. Harlander says:

I thought this had happened a while ago. I can never keep track of the manifold metamorphoses of the Uru… things.

• Wulf says:

Nope. It’s all been preparation up to this point. A lot of preparation.

They had a lot of commercial libraries tied into it, one being Havok, so they had a lot of work to do to make it open source.

9. calory says:

this is a very good game I like it very much güncel sağlık sitesi http://www.3ay.org

10. Ba5 says:

There’s absolutely nobody there. It’s a ghost town. Where is everybody?

• Urthman says:

You start out in your own private universe and you have to find the way to cross over into one of the public universes.

• Dragos Serban says:

I think you found the hood instance of the city. You will need to get your KI from Gahreesen (see the instructions in your neighborhood), then use the Nexus to get to the public city or other hoods.

11. The Colonel says:

Despite this game being riven with such problems I really myst it, so I’m glad that it’s back. Open source is NEVER a bad move. So hooray. Hopefully we’ll be cyan many more games go this way.

• Wulf says:

You know that they’ve been running a public server for quite some time and that only the open source part is new, right?

• NthDegree256 says:

I registered an account for this site just so I could tell you how much I like this comment. Sirrusly.

12. arccos says:

I’m glad I played this a bit when it was on GameTap, but for me the idea of hunting for “tapestries” to progress got old quick. It forces you to look all over for the stupid things. The game itself is quite interesting, but its baffling the gating they used is an updated version of a pixel hunt. Just give me the world and the puzzles, dang it!

• Urthman says:

It’s true that one of the core mechanics of the game is exploring beautiful and interesting places. If you don’t enjoy wandering around and looking at all these amazing environments (which is what you need to do to find the various tapestries), then you’re probably not going to enjoy Myst games.

• Wulf says:

What Urthman said. Really, the enjoyment you get out of a Myst game is parallel to how good you are with puzzles, and how imaginative you are (can you be inspired?). If the answer to both is very, then you’ll have a blast, if the answer to either one is not at all, then you’re not going to have any fun. It’s as simple as that.

For me, discovering tapestries actually became a secondary thing, I wanted to find all the look out points, and see every part of an age, to learn everything about those ages. As I was doing this, the tapestries actually came naturally. The thing with Uru is that they never put the tapestries out of the way, they’re always a part of your journey (pun intended). So as you wander through an age, the tapestries just show up naturally as checkpoints. Considering that, you might be looking at how the tapestries work all wrong and lopsided.

But yeah, this isn’t a game for people who like action or shooty things, this is a game for eccentric sods like myself who like simply wandering around and pushing buttons. But if you think you’re up to it, I’d advise giving it a g again, but just forggetting about finding the journey cloths, and instead just having fun wandering through each age, the cloths will come naturally. Like Yeesha said, some people worry too much about the destination, you should instead care about the journey itself.

• arccos says:

Of course I do, which is what I liked about the game. But the problem is the game demands you look at certain objects from certain viewpoints, rather than explore organically. For example, the very first tapestry is hidden on the backside of a sign behind where you spawn. Why would I want to go back there? I wouldn’t expect to see anything interesting from the perspective, and I didn’t when the game guide I had to consult told me where to find the missing tapestry.

They’re actually requiring a player to do the exact opposite of what the game suggests you should do, and what the player would naturally want to do (walk toward the trailer). Surely play testing should have caught this?

Same with the bones in the desert. You can see everything there is to see about them from a distance. Except the tapestry you need to continue.

I love adventure games, but I hate hidden object games, and unfortunately for me, they mixed the two.

Edit: Although maybe the tapestry hunt could be modded out now. I had the most fun playing around with the toys in the quest hub.

13. Wulf says:

Another interesting aspect of Uru is that it’s actually set in modern day and us being there is thanks to a discovery made by archaeologists. I won’t spoil too much, but that actually adds a freshness to the series that makes it interesting all over again. I was wandering the ages as a slightly overweight, sandal sporting, bespectacled nerd/hippie. That totally fit. And as you go on you can see the efforts that were undergoing to restore the ages. It can be really, truly bizarre to see road cones and/or a sawhorse in the middle of a bunch of alien technology. It’s familiar, and yet so impossible.

Another funny aspect about it is that you got to nick the clothing of other people as you went about your journey. I think my favourite being the suit the Maintainer Guild folks themselves wear. That was something I’d wear and never take off once I got my hands on it.

14. Roger says:

“You can also play it for free on the official servers at mystonline.com.”

Aww, man and I was planning on sleeping this week!