Not Much: Prey 2 “Screenshot” Revealed

By Jim Rossignol on April 7th, 2011 at 4:07 pm.

Aliens and a dead alien, yesterday
Yeah, not much in the way of news this, but I suppose I’ll grudgingly report it. A Prey 2 screenshot has been revealed by Bethesda. It reveals some kind of alien bar, and is entitled “marketplace”. You can see it above and click on it for full size. I suppose it’s more like an in-engine image, rather than a screenshot in any “here’s how it will actually look as you play” way. I mean it’s not a great image, for an early image, is it? But anyway, I am grumpy and I need more tea. There’s also a concept art image, which you can see over on BethBlog.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Kakrafoon says:

Do all Space Bars (haha) look the same? Metal floors and colourful light effects from outdated holo-hd-screen-o-panels? Come on, this could be the Bar from Starcraft’s Hyperion, or any other scrummy place between Mos Eisley and the Koprulu Sector…

• hanneswall says:

Good point… It seems like interior design is a profession which in the future has been completely been taken over by the people who exclusively design bulkheads.

The only bar/club I’ve seen in a Sci-fi setting that didn’t look like the cargohold of a supertanker is the rooftop club in Halo: Reach.

• mlaskus says:

How about the Afterlife in Mass Effect 2?

• mogofogo says:

Spot on Sir!,
      firs thing that came to mind was that Starcraft II bar.
      Wasted hours trying to look for clickable things.
      I regret nothing.

2. James says:

It’s not that great, no. Enjoy the tea, though! What brand of tea does the UK typically drink? It’s not a secret, is it?

• westyfield says:

There isn’t really a UK brand of choice. PG Tips, Yorkshire Tea and Twinings are the main ones I can think of, though PG Tips is foul and bagged tea is a travesty.
      Any right-thinking gent or lady-gent uses loose-leaf tea and a strainer.
      I buy mine from Gillard’s (independent tea supplier), which is probably no use unless you live in Bath.

• el_Chi says:

@westyfield Loose leaf tea? Strainer? Independent tea shop? In BATH? Cram a sock in it, posh boy.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I am common tetley circular tea bag scum, personally. With three sugars. No silver spoon in the mouth here. Well, unless its Silver Spoon sugar of course. Unintentional trademark pun.

• James says:

If you’re in a restaurant and order tea, do they ask you what brand like they do with soda in the US? Or is tea a more personal, at home kind of thing?

Tea gets mentioned a decent amount in RPS articles and I’m wondering how prevalent it actually is in general for this audience. Just curious.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

@ James it depends on how classy the establishment is. Your average roadside cafe or pub will just give you whatever brand they have in the back, but as you move up the price / pretension scale you get little sachets of different tea types to choose from, normally displayed in a special wooden cabinet, like a Havana cigar box :D Then you hang it over the side of your mug with that little tampon string and the tea logo attached to display your brand loyalty until it brews. Personally I think its better when they brew it and chuck the tea bag in the bin, as it gets in the way a bit.

Sweet tea is LOVERLY. America needs to be introduced :)

• westyfield says:

@ James:
      Usually they just give you whatever tea they have. In specialised tea shops you mostly get a choice (Assam, Earl Grey, Rooibos etc.), as with coffee in coffee shops, but only in fairly posh restaurants would you be asked what blend you would like.

@ el_Chi:
      *Monocle pops out*
      Great Scott! You mean to say you don’t live in Bath? I find that hard to believe – is there internet outside of Bath?

• FalseMyrmidon says:

@SuperNashwanPower

I was under the impression that sweet tea was a southern American thing (unless I missed your internet sarcasm). Wikipedia seems to think so too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_tea.

• mogofogo says:

Would it be wrong for me to say that I like Lipton’s Vanilla Tea?
      My monocle broke, and I’m waiting for it to be shipped in via eBay.

3. Daz says:

IT’S A TRAP

4. godgoo says:

appropriately reported.

5. SquareWheel says:

It looks like a screenshot taken on a five year old computer, quite honestly.

6. SuperNashwanPower says:

Whats this? Grumpiness on the internet? Unheard of, surely.

UK Tea of choice is PG Tips or tetley – anything with small cartoon characters or monkeys in the ads makes us happy.

7. Quintin Smith says:

I think this looks kind of great. If Prey 2 really is going to be a free-roaming bounty hunting sim on an alien world, that looks like the kind of colourful-yet-disturbing place I’d like to poke around.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

oo is it gonna be open world? My interest is peaked :D

• James says:

Well, the game sounds good when you describe it like that, but I think the discussion was more about how it looks. Don’t complicate things for me!

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Lol sorry. You need a good cup of tea to unconfuse you :D

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Just read this on the wiki page: “We are thrilled to be working with Bethesda on Prey 2,” said Chris Rhinehart, project lead. “Prey 2 will provide gamers the opportunity to explore a new facet of the Prey universe, one that offers fast-paced action in an open, alien world . We’re excited to show gamers the title we have been working on and hope they will be as excited by this title as we are.”

• Zyrusticae says:

Okay, I find I am now suddenly very interested.

I really do like the angle of exploring actual inhabited alien worlds (as opposed to their massive ships or what-have-you).

8. Basilicus says:

My biggest problem is all the aliens are humanoid bipeds. In this day and age, surely you can come up with a more diverse lot.

9. Nighthood says:

Colours! In a modern shooter!

10. brulleks says:

“My friend doesn’t like your screenshot. I don’t like it either.”

I wish I could type that truthfully, but actually I’m rather intrigued by this. The idea that it might not just be some black-and-white all-aliens-must-die scenario is an appealing approach for the sequel to what was a largely forgettable, if entirely playable, by-the-numbers FPS.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I was trying to work a star wars quote in there somehow too, I failed. Kudos to you sir for your fine wordsmithery

11. SuperNashwanPower says:

There’s another shot out there which shows the concept art for the city it might be set in. Starting to get some slightly open-worldy, furture spacey vibes. Will it be a Precursors-like damp squib, or Mass Effect 2 style explodathon? We can but speculate and hope for bad russian translations. Haven’t spotted a space marine just yet though…

12. Vague-rant says:

Hmmm, I have to wonder about the use of the Prey name. The links to this seem tangential at best (both story and gameplay) and it didn’t seem like the classic that would raise it to the status of insta-buy.

Still though, its a screen of an alien with a gun. The potential is endless.

13. matrices says:

The opening screen (concept art?) on the Bethesda blog is beyond fantastic. God damn I wish I could play a game in and around that city.

14. Navagon says:

I’m still not sure if the use of the Prey name has any justification behind it beyond name recognition (way Prey even that popular?). But the idea of the more open explorable world is definitely pertinent to my interests and for that reason alone I’m definitely not about to write this one off.

If nothing else I got a new desktop wallpaper. :D

15. matrices says:

Also: “Prey 2 is being built on the cutting edge id tech engine from id Software.” What “cutting edge” engine is Bethesda talking about? id5 i.e. RAGE? That would bode very well…

• Navagon says:

Apparently not. But Brink uses id Tech 4 and it’s not like anyone is saying that looks shabby.

• matrices says:

Ugh, the hell with that. It’s 4 year old technology that almost no game used outside of Doom 3. If this is truly an “open alien world” then there’s no excuse for not mating it with the engine designed for open worlds instead of the one designed for a mediocre corridor crawl.

• Navagon says:

Seven years old. Six other games have used it including games featuring large open environments such as Quake Wars. Brink also uses it and, in terms of graphics, looks better than Rage. id Tech 5 isn’t finished yet and therefore can’t be used by other titles.

So yeah, not a whole lot of truth in what you posted there.

• DrGonzo says:

I have to disagree with you there. The latest videos of Brink make it look significantly worse than RAGE. I was quite interested in Brink until the recent videos made it look very generic and mediocre.

• Navagon says:

I did stress “in terms of graphics”. The latest video might have been more in context of the actual game than the previous stuff. But it’s still using the same models, maps and engine. Nothing has changed there at all. So graphically, it can’t possibly be looking worse even if you’re now not so struck on the gameplay.

• DrGonzo says:

I was talking about the graphics and gameplay actually. But it is hard to judge gameplay from a video like that.

16. vodka and cookies says:

The Edge preview (same issues as MaxPayne3) for this sounds pretty good, apparently Mirrors Edge was a strong inspiration on them so the bounty hunter is pretty mobile as are some of the bounty’s so expect some frantic chases though others will be pure fire fights & crazy stuff like teleporters. Chasing down aliens will be easier on lower difficulty settings.

No supernatural powers like Tommy had, though you will have gadgets which you can swap around that will give you some abilities where your over matched.

Also similar to Red Dead Redemption like main quests there will be side quests, and dynamic quests too. Reputation will also have an affect on how NPC’s and store owners react to you.

• DD says:

Well that just sounds tooooo good to be true!

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Well, with all that info I have gone from “hm, slightly underwhelming screenshot” to “possible pre-order”. This sounds really pretty splendid, if all that makes it in. Will they also add the need to eat bread and canned tuna and aliens playing guitars around a plasma fire whilst speaking some other language? That would be also very cool. Also plagiarism, but cool.

17. Spliter says:

Oh god, I hope this doesn’t try to mimic ME
    We already have ME for that.

First Person
    Lots of shooting
    Twisted gravity and portals
    That’s a prey game, I hope they stick with it.

18. Grot_Punter says:

Is it just me, or does the guy in the middle look like some manner of Dapper Garrus?

19. skraeling says:

The first thing I want from Prey 2 is the option to land a small, remote-controlled airplane on that alien’s flat cranium. The second thing I want from Prey 2 is the ability to say to the alien, “Oh, sorry, did that go over your head?” Everything else is ancillary.

20. Comrade Communist says:

Isn’t that a dead body of Admiral Ackbar lying in front of the scene?