Red Faction: Armageddon Trailer Has A Lady

By Quintin Smith on April 8th, 2011 at 10:06 am.

I wonder if she plucks those eyebrows with a physics gun?

Looking at the above screenshot, you’d think that character was from a fantasy game, no? Perhaps one called “Four Wind Journey” or “Dragonica”, and she’d have a name that suggested independence like Chala or Kara or something. In truth, she’s the sassy sidekick Volition have just revealed for subterranean alien-masher Red Faction Armageddon, she actually is called Kara, and you can watch her debut trailer after the jump.

The man in the trailer out-shining her in every scene? That’s Darius Mason, protagonist of Armageddon and grandson of the Red Faction: Guerrilla protagonists, just fyi.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Moni says:

Boobs! Nolan North! What more could you possibly want in a game?

Perhaps, Nolan North with boobs… hmm.

2. Teddy Leach says:

Needs cleavage tag.

3. WeeMadAndo says:

Seriously. f–k the people who design video game characters.

4. Javier-de-Ass says:

did anyone see the video with the DESCENT style flyer yet? OH MY GOD

5. Brumisator says:

TITTIES!
    God damnit, the one time They decide to develop a game in-house for PC, the game seems perfectly bland and uninteresting.

• tanith says:

Exactly my thoughts. :\

The standard formula for female video game characters seems to include either a monstrous cleavage or a lack of clothes – or both.
      I’m seriously getting sick and tired of this shit.

• Commisar says:

so? If you think female characters in games are unrealistic/silly, either deny yourself some very fun games or make your own

• Serenegoose says:

Actually I’d rather come up with false dichotomies on the internet.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Hell, Bulletstorm didn’t have the female character smuggling canteloupe in her shirt.

I think that can be the standard for ridiculous at this point.

• Sassenach says:

I remember reading this quote on the subject of Bulletstorm, actually. Thought I’d post it back up as it seemed quite relevant:

(Tanya) Jessen (, Epic Games): It was everything imaginable. It was width. It was the cleavage showing. It was height, from top to bottom. It was the level of bounciness. It was all of that. I’m in Adrian’s office, like, “Adrian, come on. No! Are you crazy? Trishka, she’s our badass. She’s going kick your ass and take no prisoners! She’s sexy because she has the confidence. She doesn’t need to have giant breasts!” Adrian is like, “She’s so hot, she needs to have a giant rack. I love chicks in video games that have giant boobs.” I could see his face was kind of sad. I think we came to a good middle ground. He genuinely wanted what he considers the most beautiful looking woman in the game. What I wanted is a believable, strong, not-stereotypical fighter chick.”

I do laugh when I imagine the guy’s face just looking sad in a resignedly disappointed sort of way.

6. Saiko Kila says:

Still no destructible terrain?

7. Jonathan says:

Wait a second … so it’s not okay to be oppressed by whatever forces you were fighting against in Guerrilla, but it’s totally fine to commit genocide against the native life forms on the planet you’ve basically invaded?

Americans, eh?

• Muzman says:

In fairness, that is basically de rigueur for most fantasy RPGs too : travel to strange place – murder all natives and wildlife along the way – feel rather pleased with yourself – wonder why giant spiders et al have gold rings or whatever.

• Jonathan says:

That’s missing part of my point — this is all “Let’s fight against oppression … ooh, natives to oppress!”

• Muzman says:

S’pose. But this one seems largely devoid of politics so far and pretty much like Gears of War . So unless they’re going the Starship Troopers route it’s a pretty standard bughunt by the looks (although there’s a movement to reclaim Gears as this great unheralded piece of satire. People see what the heck they like).

8. Muzman says:

I wonder if the arc welder in these games is ever used for actual welding. Can’t say I ever saw it in RFG.

Also; WHERE IS MY HAMMER OF THOR?!?!
    Apparently the game has some hilarious Half Life meets Bulletstorm meets Just Cause Gravity gun thing. But it just doesn’t sound the same.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

The arc welder is there for one reason only – to provide better lighting for … accentuating certain ‘features’.

9. Kdansky says:

I *love* cutscenes during which the player character does things that the player would love to do during the game.

Seriously, just make a movie instead. Also, tits.

• JYzer says:

I believe the proper term here is “combat cleavage”.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Battle boobs

• Muzman says:

Weaponised Wonderbra

• Jonathan says:

It could be worse — “fighting fanny” or “victory vagina”.

Yes, my brain is in the gutter.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

@ johnathan saying both those terms in a really posh, upper class english accent, in my head, made me cackle like something evil out of lord of the rings. Fighting fanehhhhhh???? **monocle pop**

• Dances to Podcasts says:

“Also, tits.” should be the name of the tag for this.

• sinister agent says:

And the subtitle for the game.

10. CaspianRoach says:

Wait, so this is a trailer about Kara and it focuses almost entirely on Darius? I don’t understand.

• Serenegoose says:

I was thinking the exact same thing. It’s… it actually feels totally -deliberate-, you know? Like they really have absolutely nothing to say about her character whatsoever, so they’re hoping they can just slot her into a few frames as the wide eyed support and get away with it.

• JYzer says:

What’s not to understand. We’re talking about game developers here, the things they know about feminism are that a) it happened to other people and b) it somehow involved Germaine Greer flashing her flooze.

11. Alez says:

TITTIES!! I gonna play this ’cause it’s got woman with pretty parts!

Seriously though, i liked the previous game so i will try this. But this was one bland and lame trailer.

Hope it’s gonna have plenty of buildings to slowly destroy with your hammer. Otherwise there is no point to this game. Plenty of big boobied ladies in other games out there.

12. MadTinkerer says:

Wait, wait, wait. I swear they snuck in some sound effects from TRON in that trailer. Sneaky sound engineers!

Not that I wasn’t going to buy the game anyway. :)

13. ninjapirate says:

Monstrous cleavages in games? I’m getting tired of them.

• Martha Stuart says:

See this is exactly the kind of stuff i find absolutly hilarious. You and other people bitch about game developers putting huges boobs on female characters, but totally ignore the fact that you are commiting mass acts of genocide and murder while playing the game? So if i understand you correctly, chicks with big boobs (which actually exist FYI) is far more offensive to you then the systematic annilhation or oppression of an entire species?

• CMaster says:

It’s not the size, it’s the exposure.
      Seriously-pushed up cleavage is neither appropriate combat attire, nor is it in keeping with the way everybody else in the trailer is dressed.

Also, people are talking about that above.
      Although I didn’t see how the trailer implied genocide at all… (Yes, violence to a native species, but hey, oppressing the natives is what makes a country great huh (worked for US, Canada, Mexico…)

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Maybe they can include a Victorian-isation slider in the menu options, where at the bottom end of the scale the girl dresses like the one from X-blades, and at the top end she looks like an extra from Pride and Prejudice. Then we can cater to all exposure tastes. Personally I’m going with X-blades setting. Bottoms. Mmmmmm.

• Xocrates says:

You have no idea how happy I was that in Tomb Raider: Underworld I could give Lara some proper pants by level 2 and a fairly modest jacket by level 3.

Regarding the bitching about sexiness Vs bloody murder: One is a gameplay mechanic, the other is a distraction whose only purpose is to get money from horny teenage boys. This is particularly jarring when the male characters seem to be wearing three layers of clothing.

Give us a game with the goal of staring into a lady cleavage, and then we’ll complain about whatever unnecessary murder they throw in.

• Urthman says:

Martha Stuart, the difference is that it’s believable that real human beings in dangerous situations would kill their enemies. It’s not believable that real women in dangerous situations would wear clothes that are designed for titillation instead of protection and other practical matters.

When’s the last time you saw a female soldier in the real world charge into battle with her midriff bare and her shirt open to show off her cleavage?

• Commisar says:

well them. a little game called Interstellar Marines should be right up your alley, the female characters in that game are realistically covered in body armor, so no titties :)

14. BenA says:

Amusing to hear the original Tron “derezzing” sound at 1:12.

15. kikito says:

Isn’t she cold?

16. Rii says:

How does a name like ‘Kara’ suggest independence?

No, really, I’m interested.

• JackShandy says:

Studies show that humans, when given a smooth wavy line and a sharp jagged one and told to choose a name for each out of a list of two, will pick “kiki” as the name for the jagged line 98% of the time. No joke.

Ka sounds are rebellious and headstrong. They don’t listen to nobodies’ rules.

17. Janto says:

It’s the whole K thing, isn’t it, like Keith is supposed to be a very masculine name. Also, Starbuck.

• undead dolphin hacker says:

Keith is probably the gayest male name I’m aware of, so if we’re going with that kind of masculinity, sure.

• Janto says:

But so is Marcus…

18. Gwog says:

I snickered at this:

“Looking at the above screenshot, you’d think that character was from a fantasy game, no? Perhaps one called “Four Wind Journey” or “Dragonica”, and she’d have a name that suggested independence like Chala or Kara or something.”

Funny, also true, therefore also kind of sad.

19. PopeBob says:

Finally! A game where I can play as the savior of Mars AND kill Martian cyber-Darkspawn. Truly, Volition knows precisely the demands of my demographic.

20. sinister agent says:

A not insignificant part of me sincerely hopes that she introduces herself in game with “Hello. My name is Kara, and these are my tits.”

21. SLeigher says:

I do love how rps can get 40+ comments for a story and not one of those is really about the game yet i’m still laughing out loud

22. Basilicus says:

The trailer makes me want to play the game, not so much because of the boobs but because it looks like they took RF: Guerilla and added such things as colors and cutscenes that aren’t crap.

I’ll still wait for the reviews and the Buy-it-for-$10-after-6-months deals, of course.

23. Alistair says:

She’s presumably not a soldier and armour isn’t all that useful against guns. Skimpy clothing makes more sense on future Mars than it does in a sword-swinging environment.

Edit: Although I see she does don armour from the 1m11 mark, with helpful cleavage enhancement.

24. JackShandy says:

That was the most hilarious Action Chick moment I’ve ever seen.

“Trust me, I can take care of myself.”
    (Darius steps in to kill the guy threatening her)
    “But it’s good to have a man who can solve my problems anyway.”

Ooh, but it looks like there’ll be bits where she tends to his wounds and tinkers with technical stuff for him. Thank goodness.

25. inertia says:

Oh, for heaven’s sake, game developers, is it really too much to ask that you just make a female sidekick dressed head to toe in bondage gear? Honestly.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Also can we shape the gimp mouth-ball like a grenade. Thank you.

26. Araxiel says:

Feautres a lady? Which lady? You mean “trailer has boobies”

27. lazysuperhero says:

Meh…

Haven’t played a Red Faction game since the original.