Dead Rising 2: Off The Record Announced

By Quintin Smith on April 12th, 2011 at 5:30 pm.

That reminds me. I must see about the new RPS staff uniforms.

Still furious at Dead Rising 2 standalone episodes Case Zero and Case West not seeing a PC release? Nevermind. Not sure what they are? OK.

Forget all that, because Capcom’s announced something much more significant that will be seeing a PC release. Dead Rising 2: Off The Record is Dead Rising 2 re-imagined with photojournalist Frank West, the protagonist from the first Dead Rising, replacing motocross star Chuck Greene. Sound like a cheap cash-in? You’d be wrong, sir. DEAD wrong. Full features list and debut trailer after the jump.

More Features

- Frank west is back – The original Dead Rising hero returns to get the scoop on the Fortune City outbreak.

- Fortune City but not as you know it – Experience a re-interpretation of the Fortune City outbreak through the eyes and camera of photojournalist Frank West.

- New story and missions unique to Frank West

- New environments

- New enemies and more psychotic Psychos

- New crazy and hilarious combo-weapons

- New items and vehicles

- Say “Cheese!” – Capture those classic, violent, scary, hilarious Dead Rising moments, earn Prestige Points and complete all new missions with Frank’s new and improved camera feature.

- upgraded Experience – Full of technical improvements, system enhancements and feature upgrades to create a faster, smoother, more satisfying Dead Rising.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. DrGonzo says:

HA! They put zombies in wrestler costumes, ZOMBIES AREN’T MEANT TO BE IN WRESTLER COSTUMES! That’s so funny.

2. Linfosoma says:

Depends on the price really, but I liked DR2 so Im game.

3. DocSeuss says:

I want to play it, but… I kinda would have preferred Dead Rising 3 instead.

4. Hatsworth says:

The other Capcom pc announcements are far more exciting to me.
    Finally SSFIV for PC, hopefully it won’t lag too far behind the console AE release.
    Street Fighter X Tekken getting a PC release caught me off guard.

• DrGonzo says:

Is the arcade edition a new stand alone game? Because if it is, then, well I give up on Street Fighter, I’ve already bought the game twice. I wouldn’t even buy it as cheap DLC, it should be free!

If there is a PC release, I will pirate it with a free conscience.

• BAshment says:

just dlc I think.

5. ZIGS says:

Too bad Dead Rising 2 is one of the most boring games I’ve ever played, capable of putting to sleep someone who just downed 6 ecstasy pills with a gallon of coffee

6. Urael says:

Have to say, not much of draw for us PC owners denied Frank’s first outing…cue mass calls of “Frank who?”

This announcement smells of a cheapo re-release. “Shove in a bit of new content, polish the game from all the bug reports the original generated and call it ‘enhancements’ then charge full price again and let’s all go celebrate on the pistes!”

I’m not normally so cynical but this smells…wrong, like the UnDead themselves.

7. 7rigger says:

I like the sound of this. The only downside is having to buy the DLC through the awful GFWL marketplace.

I guess I can suffer through that. I did for Broken Steel

• ANeM says:

This isn’t actually DLC, its a whole separate release. Its sort of like the stand alone bundle for the GTA4 episodes The map is roughly the same, but there are new missions and characters with a few new locations and weapons.

• 7rigger says:

Thanks for the info :)

I liked DR2, but I haven’t even bothered completing it. Paying two-thirds of what I paid for the full game for something I probably won’t go near after I’ve played for a couple of hours is too rich for my blood.

Looks cool though. I’ll keep my eye on the Bargain Bucket ;)

• Gabbo says:

An expansion pack with Frank? I’m interested, assuming it’s priced accordingly.

• dadioflex says:

There were apparently some issues with the pacing in DR2 – I think the RPS WIT mentioned that you were always fighting against the clock to complete missions, killing the free roaming fun to be had.

Now, when I read that it really put me off because I just want to play, I don’t want to solve missions or do anything that sounds too much like a job (a side-effect of having a job, probably). If this re-packaging does away with that then I’d probably take a look.

• ulix says:

“If it’s like that then they’ll be asking 15-20 quid for it, like they were for the GTA episodes (Or £30 on console). Which puts it firmly as a no in my book.”

If this is only half as good or has half as much new content as the GTA Episodes, then this will bei the second best “Could also be DLC” (which the GTA Episodes were) thing ever (after the GTa Episodes).

SInce the GTA Episodes were DLC once I can rightly say: best value for DLC since the invention of DLC.

8. 7rigger says:

@Gabbo

If only it was TV’s Frank.

Let me be Frank about Frank, cos Frank is the best Frank that’s ever happened to meee

*Edit* Reply fail

9. Lord_Mordja says:

So, uh, if I don’t own DR2 yet, I guess I should just skip over to this, huh?

10. Hoaxfish says:

hilarious

much like “whacky”, I don’t think you’re allowed to describe yourself as such without looking like a tool

11. Keymonk says:

If they got rid of the timer in this release, I’d be all over it. But with a countdown constantly hanging over my head, I think I’ll say no thank you.

• The_B says:

Apparently there will now be a checkpoint system in place as well as the save point toilet mechanic, so in that respect it seems like it might be more forgiving.

12. Zogtee says:

So, is this Capcom finally admitting that switching characters for DR2 was a mistake?

• Dominic White says:

You do know that the game doesn’t stop, even if you completely fail the main plot thread, right? Dead Rising 2 is specifically designed to break the souls of those poor, demented, OCD-ridden folks who must do everything 100% perfectly first time through.

It’s a goddamn zombie apocalypse. Nobody gets it perfect. Things will go wrong, and that’s okay.

13. daf says:

Friend got me Dead Rising 2 to play trough in Coop, something that worked once and then never again no matter how much we tried. So it’s gaining virtual dust on my steam account… So thanks but no thanks.

14. dethtoll says:

Dead Rising 2 was an improvement on the original in every way, except no Frank West. This seems to be fixing that.

They really should have brought the original and the DLC to PC, though. So elitists can see what they’re missing.

15. Lars Westergren says:

That’s a lot of crotch at 1.10 into the trailer.

16. Dominic White says:

Just reminding those poor, nervous people who can’t play games with time-limits or any kind of pressure:

You only need to deal with those in Dead Rising 1 OR 2 if you want the best ending. The game continues anyway, sidequests still happen, bosses can still be fought just if you spend all your time running around in womens clothing and slapping zombies with handbags.

Yes, even the little girl can die horribly, and the game will still go on. You might feel bad about it, but it’s a zombie horror setting, and unlike 99% of games, things CAN go badly wrong and it won’t cause the entire universe to just scream to a juddering halt.

So get over that OCD and actually play the damn thing, and stop trying to be a crazy perfectionist, because it’s almost completely impossible to do everything right in a single playthrough. People will die, mistakes will be made. Best you can reasonably hope for is just completing the main plot thread, which you have plenty of time for.

17. batteriesinc says:

This is a great one topic and gives in depth information. Thanks you and visit here again and again.

Comment on this story