Humble Frozenbyte Bundle Appears Today

By John Walker on April 12th, 2011 at 3:32 pm.

Fumble

Humble Indie Bundle The Third is due out today. It’s a bit of a different one this time around – after the first and second – only one developer is in the deal: Frozenbyte. It’s a top collection of their games – Trine, Shadowgrounds, Shadowgrounds Survivor, Jack Claw, and Splot – and once again its intended to see money reach charities. What, wait were those last two?

The very enjoyable Shadowgrounds games will give you lots of top-down sci-fi alien busting. They’re games I find I keep going back to when offered a spare couple of hours. And Trine, of course, was one of 2009′s indie smashes, with its three-player single-player and co-op.

Jack Claw and Splot? Well, impressively, neither has come out yet. If you make an offer for the bundle, you’ll get a prototype of Jack Claw, and for now just a pre-order of Splot. What are they?

Jack Claw is literally just a prototype at this point – a man with a giant bendy claw arm thing, throwing cars around. It’s only on Windows at the moment, but apparently will come with its own source code. Impressive.

There’s no real clue on Splot. It’s a promise, just now. But heck, Frozenbyte don’t tend to make anything short of top fun games, so it seems worth having.

Trine arrives on Linux for the first time in this collection, while the Shadowgrounds are both on Mac and Linux as well as PC. And they have their soundtracks included.

You’ll have to pay, er, what you want for the deal, which seems like just about the most reasonable offer imaginable. And while it’s not quite as gobsmacking as the first two Bundles, it’s still a fine way of picking up some indie greats, while chucking money not only at the developer, but also Child’s Play and the Electronic Frontier Foundation. The trailer below contains all the details, and thanks to IndieGames and WASD.

, , , .

1. BebopBraunbaer says:

well http://www.humblebundle.com/ will be updated in 2 hours, if anyone wonders why there is no sign at all about the frozen bundle

2. Icarus says:

I’m sure I’ll be preaching to the choir when I say this, but Trine really is an exceptionally delightful game. Here’s hoping they release the source code as per previous Hundles so that some talented bods can come up with a level editor or mod tools.

• The Hammer says:

Oh yes, it’s wonderful – and for this Bundle, I’m happy to throw some more money at Frozenbyte. I don’t reckon Shadowgrounds will appeal to be much, but hey, I may be wrong!

3. markcocjin says:

But does it register on Steam?

4. kit89 says:

I am certainly looking forward to this! :D

Humble Bundle has done wonders for Linux gaming.

kit89.

5. tanith says:

[...] Trine arrives on Linux for the first time in this collection, while the Shadowgrounds are both on Mac and Linux as well as PC. [...]

Uh, Linux is also PC. Mac is also a PC.
    I think the word you may be looking for is “Windows”.

• gwathdring says:

You can’t really blame people for using PC that way. The companies even do. The Mac vs. PC ads hammered it home: irritating as it is, Microsoft has unofficial but widely recognized claims to the term PC.

• nimnio says:

Yeah, I was confused for a moment too, but then I remembered that people have been differentiating “Mac” and “PC” for years. Or were you just being pedantic?

• tanith says:

I can because it is not correct.
      I can blame them for using the word this way for the same reason I can blame chemists for calling atoms “elementary particles”. It’s not correct, it’s not the right definition.
      An elementary particle is a particle which has no substructure and which doesn’t hold true for atoms. At least some go out of their way in saying “chemical elements” which should be right, per definition.

And as far as I know the “Get a Mac” or “Mac vs. PC” ad was made by Apple (which makes them hypocritical traitors in some sense, but I digress) and since I neither respect them nor their customers I will not care about what they say or think.

Call me pedantic but at least I tell the truth when I say that a Mac is a PC (at least truth per definition).

• nimnio says:

*golf clap*

• sneetch says:

Strong words (“hypocritical traitors”? Really?) I think you’re taking this a bit too seriously. There’s no conspiracy attempting to fool the masses into thinking that only Windows machines are PCs, it’s just the way things have gone, colloquially Windows is now synonymous with PC, the same way that Hoover is synonymous with vacuum cleaner.

No one starts calling “liar” when someone says they have to do some hoovering.

• Gnoupi says:

With all the respect I have for Linux (there are great OSes based on it), I find it tiring to see always these arguments coming back. 85% of PCs are running windows. It is long accepted that “PC-CD” on the game boxes refers to Windows games.

Because more than this 85%, I’m quite sure that we can go to 90-95% of core PC gaming being on Windows.

So can we please finally assume that when they say PC on Rock paper shotgun, they mean Windows? And stop with this kind of pedantic righteousness.

Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

Reply to Gnoupi:

I never take those statistics too seriously. Linux based operating systems usually don’t call home, so don’t provide accurate numbers, web counters like StatCounter base their results off the browser identity string, which is often changed to deal with broken websites and often only count websites that pay to be counted, which is hardly accurate, lastly, users of multiple operating systems aren’t really taken into account by either method.

Microsoft believes that Linux and Mac share roughly the same usage numbers (as seen here) and sales figures from Dell combined with numbers from ABI Research show that Linux was on 6% of sold computers in 2009 (and I’m guessing that number didn’t go down, but probably up) (link and link), and that’s not counting the amount of downloaded Linux images.

So, don’t take those numbers too literally. And about the whole naming debate; is a Windows Phone then also a PC?

• Berzee says:

WELL ACKTUALLY

• bwion says:

The use of PC to refer to what are now Windows machines predates Macs (though it doesn’t predate Apple Computers, as far as I know). I think it’s a holdover from the days when there were a bunch of different home computer systems, one of which was the IBM PC (and a horde of PC-compatibles, the existence of which is why DOS, and eventually Windows, became the dominant home computing operating system of the modern age).

The distinction probably doesn’t make much sense nowadays when it’s all more-or-less the same hardware running different operating systems, though. But no one’s being a traitor. (I’m not certain it’s possible to be a traitor to an operating system, though I do try to stay out of religious discussions like this online.)

• Sic says:

It’s pretty easy. Everything that is a personal computer is a PC. Hence, a PC is a minicomputer, it’s not a mainframe; it’s a computer for a single user. This includes Macs.

Whatever marketing people have done to sully this is irrelevant.

6. Xocrates says:

Hmm… I already own Trine (love it) and shadowgrounds, so I would be getting this essentially for the pre-orders of games I know nothing about.

Dunno, may get it due to the “pay what you want” thing, but I’ll probably end up feeling cheap :(

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Only crazy indie payment schemes like this manage to make us feel cheap for paying twice for the same games :)

• seamoss says:

I’m in the same boat – I already own Trine (which I have finished) and both Shadowgrounds games (which I’m playing right now) on Steam. Same situation with the second Humble Bundle: I already owned four of the five games (and the one I didn’t own isn’t even finished yet…) Still, a few dollars to support indie games and charities is never wasted, even though I also feel cheap if I don’t pay “enough”…

7. Jonathan says:

I was all excited for a second, thinking Frozenbyte were the people behind Frozen Synapse, but I’ve been curious about the Shadowlands games before — might be worth a punt.

8. Mike says:

What, wait were those last two?

Between this and your Twitter, I hope you’re faring okay post-flight!

9. nimnio says:

The video is great. “It’s Windows only, but you can dry your tears in the source code.”

10. Teddy Leach says:

Oh yes. Oh yes. Oh yes. Also, Jack Claw looks pretty damned fun.

machinaexdeus says:

Meant to comment in the dream game bit and it appeared here, bit of an odd one, nevermind.
    I’ll be picking this up but with this and the potato sack, I have far to many games to play and keep ‘accidentally’ buying these cheap bundles as I don’t want to miss out.

tomeoftom says:

Hello everyone! It’s out now, you can buy it.

13. The Hammer says:

Yep, it’s live!

14. Adriaan says:

The Ahnold and Sean Connery impersonations are priceless!

15. Paul says:

Already own everything (Trine twice, actually) but I gave them 6 bucks anyway, gotta support awesome cause.

16. SilverSilence says:

Um this is shit;

• psyk says:

You fail at reading about what your buying.

“Jack Claw currently requires the Xbox 360 Controller to work properly (other pads will have trouble with the right thumbstick).

We’ll add support for keyboard & mouse shortly.

Mac & Linux versions are also coming soon!”

• Teddy Leach says:

Yes, but the thing it that it didn’t say that when I bought the pack, a few minutes after it went live.

• psyk says:

It says it twice on the site once in a drop down on the front page and once again if you click through to the games page.

Colthor says:

If you’ve already got Trine on Green Man Gaming you can trade it in for £3. Assassin’s Creed is on offer for £2.50 but you can’t trade that one back in.
    (They do have 20% off codes all over their site, but wouldn’t let me use one on that order.)

Sagan says:

Not too interested in this, but gonna buy anyways because it’s almost free…

19. Kaira- says:

Got Trine on Steam, but since I get also Linux-version, why the hell not? And since money goes to good cause and no DRM, even more reasons.

20. Wulf says:

I bought it for Splot. I mean… Frozenbyte + Non-human character… I’m going to buy on that premise alone. And likely buy it for a few other people, too, since Trine itself deserves to be spread.

21. itsallcrap says:

I’d really like to buy this, but they don’t seem to have the server capacity to take my money.

Thing is, I tried to buy it using Amazon Payments. Surely they’re not facing such a demand that the mighty Amazon can’t deal with it all….? I even went and bought something from the Co-op on the same card just to check my account hadn’t been frozen.

Lawks.

22. somnolentsurfer says:

Two forthcoming games I’ve never heard of, but not Trine 2? :-(

I already feel bad for thinking that…

23. malkav11 says:

Jack Claw is not a forthcoming game. They’ve already cancelled it. What you get in the bundle is apparently the most recent prototype and the source code.

24. trjp says:

The video is almost worth buying the bundle alone.

I love the Shadowgrounds games (far, far superior to that Alien Breed shite) but I clearly already own em and Trine left me stoney-cold (you can change character but there’s actually no need most of the time – well thanks for that!!) – so it would be a potshot at Splot being amazing for me…

OR

I could pass-on the Shadowgrounds games I suppose – to someone unlucky enough not to have played their loveliness…

• _StingRay_ says:

Call me unlucky, but also unwilling to in any way put any pressure on you.

25. Corrupt_Tiki says:

I hope this is a success for them :3 I can’t really afford anymore games atm, because I just spent my last moneys on DCS A:10 and LOMAC….

26. bill says:

Hmmm. Bought the last 2 bundles and thought they were a great idea.

Not so sure on this one. The only one i’m interested in is Trine.. other than that it’s not a very exciting bundle. I wish they’d teamed up 2 or 3 studios as Frozenbyte don’t have enough games to make a bundle.
    I guess I could stick in a low price for Trine, but then i’d feel cheap.

I wonder if this means they are taking the Humble Bundle concept and trying to turn it into a distribution system? On the one hand it’s be cool to get lots of interesting indie game on PWYW… but on the other hand there’ll be a law of diminishing returns in terms of things like hype and support if it becomes a regular thing and not a special thing.

I’d bet the average price for this will be WAY down on the first two… be interesting to see.

27. batteriesinc says:

This is a great one topic and gives in depth information. Thanks you and visit here again and again.