Operation Raccoon City Shots Are Quite Dark

By Quintin Smith on April 12th, 2011 at 5:07 pm.

Bet you thought that girl at the back was a zombie, didn't you? She's not. She just loves jam donuts.

Capcom opened up with a veritable salvo of news not one hour ago, so bear with me while I assemble it all. First up are a collection of new shots for co-op tactics-fest Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. As if those images of the main characters weren’t badass enough, it now turns out that they’re adept at using live zombies as human shields. Leon S. Kennedy never tried that, did he? Nope. What a wuss.

Hate to break this to you, dude, but he doesn’t look like the type to care about a human shield. Or inhuman shield, rather.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Jake says:

Has a lot of potential I think, RE5 was great fun co-op.

2. Navagon says:

Will the images have zoominess, for extra size and pleasure?

These shots are very much more distanced from Left 4 Dead. I wonder if they were conscious of that when they chose them.

• Nick says:

Doubtful, seeing as the last lot were not like Left4Dead they were like Resident Evil 2 and 3 areas.

• Navagon says:

Well the setting is essentially generic semi-destroyed American streets filled with infected zombies. That’s reminiscent of both games. However the gameplay footage made it look far closer to L4D than RE3. The four player coop coupled with the speed of play made it incomparable to earlier RE games. Especially 1 – 3,

Now yes, sure you can say that Resident Evil has been around longer, but this is clearly a game that has been picking up a few tricks from the newer kids on the zombie infested block.

3. Ovno says:

But why would you need a human shield, well unless the zombies are using guns….

OMFG ZOMBIES WITH GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Navagon says:

Or, you know, giant reptiloids with giant reptiliod claws. I’d sooner take my chances with a bullet than those claws.

• The_B says:

To be fair, even if the zombies did have guns they very rarely show any desire to preserve any fellow members of their own species.
      (Although in honesty the zombie shields are most likely due to the 3-way battle going on – it’s not just humans Vs zombies, it’s Umbrella Vs Army Vs Zombies, so I’m guessing either they need live samples of the zombies on Umbrellas side, or it’s just something you can use against human controlled zombies for gameplay purposes)

• Navagon says:

When it comes to zombies with guns, Stalker has shown us the way.

• Hellraiserzlo says:

I wonder if zombie human shields are better then normal human shields, in theory they should be.

• 3lbFlax says:

If it’s zombies with guns you want, you want Umberto Lenzi’s demented (this is probably redundant) Nightmare City. Although its chief achievement will be to persuade you you don’t want zombies with guns, any more than you’d want vampires with guns or wolfmen with hand grenades or, I don’t know, frogmen with crossbows or something.

4. Chris D says:

I think there’s a reason why live-zombie-human-shields have never caught on before. Several, in fact. Here they are:

1. You’re going to want to have serious arm protection before you want to consider putting it within convenient biting range.

2. If you have that much protection you’re almost certainly getting better protection from your armour than you’d get from having a zombie shield anyway.

3. No one cares if they shoot a zombie by mistake, not even the zombie

4. So it’s certainly not going to be cooperating in any shape or form like a human with any sense of self preservation would.

5. In an area infested with zombies your biggest threat is not being shot, it’s being surrounded by frigging zombies. Why would you want to slow yourself down by manhandling something that will bite you?

6. You have a far higher risk at being covered in contagious zombie bodily fluids like this. How sure are you that you’re really immune, rather than just lucky so far.

Basically this just seems like a bad plan to me. Think it through, Capcom, think it through.

• Outsider says:

What about the zombie sheild blocking zombies ahead from seeing a living person walking through their midst?

That’s why I thought this feature was there.

• Chris D says:

Well, perhaps, but I would have thought a more effective means would be to mimic zombie behaviour rather than dragging a struggling zombie around with you.

The other problem is that as soon as you start moving through the midst of a group of zombies they’re no longer ahead of you.

• Outsider says:

I’m not sure if the zombies in the RE universe are portrayed as smart enough to judge what is a living or not living creature based on their mannerisms alone, so I assumed it was some sort of crude visual detection which being shielded by a zombie may thwart.

Of course once you move through the crowd, as you said it’s no long just in front of you, so maybe it’s a rather limited feature used only in the right circumstances. I’ll be interested to see how they explain this feature as more information surfaces.

• sneetch says:

I always figured basic bikers gear (motor bike leathers that is, not cycle shorts and tight t-shirts) would be enough for standard zombie protection.

I can’t imagine decaying human muscles and sinews would be strong enough to bite through leather.

Then I was bitten!!!! NOW I AM A ZOMBIE. So remember kids: plate armour saves lives! Plate up!

5. Ricc says:

That Corned Beef place looks like a good spot to wait out the apocalypse.

Napalm Sushi says:

Can anyone remember when exactly the honeycomb pattern started being regarded as the international symbol for “futuristic”? Really, it’s been bugging me for ages. I understand the benefits of the pattern in terms of surface area conservation and structural strength, but it’s a trope that seemed to just appear out of nowhere in the last decade, and I’ve no idea from where.

7. Evil Otto says:

how the hell can they can they have ‘raccoon’ in their name? Have they learned nothing from the controversy of RE5?

• sneetch says:

This one is racist against reptilian humanoids, they’re all depicted as bloodthirsty monsters!

8. GT3000 says:

1.25 for gas? I don’t think so, Tim.

9. Hoaxfish says:

RE: Zombie Hug edition?

10. nuh uh no way says:

mmm, corned beef.

11. Davey Jones says:

Glad to see Psycho Mantis is having fun.

12. hamster says:

Is it just me or do the Umbrella spec ops team look more like the bad guys? I like it.

13. bartleby says:

“Live zombies”? I think there’s a problem there.

14. Daiz says:

Man, it sure is blue and orange in here…

• Spacewalk says:

I’m seeing more pink than orange but yeah, it’s in there.

15. batteriesinc says:

very good,it’s very important for somebody as me,I can not express my feeling with words now,just can see one hundred time of thanks.

16. Araxiel says:

I love the artwork/visual already. If the game is any good is a diffrent topic.