Tell Us: What’s Your Dream Game?

By John Walker on April 12th, 2011 at 2:12 pm.

Someone should make a game set entirely in a thought bubble.

We work far too hard entertaining you. You do some work for a bit. I want you to describe your dream game. It’s not quite as ambiguous as it sounds.

For instance, my dream game, as I’ve written about before, is one that just lets me calmly survive. I want a vast island to explore, filled with treats to discover, but only if I can keep myself alive. I want to need to build a shelter with the physics of a Penumbra game, hunt for food using a bow and arrow I’ve made by stringing a branch and wedging a flint and feathers into a stick, building fires, and so on. The key difference between my game and all those I’ve tried that people have recommended is 1) it’s good, and 2) it’s not about frantically monitoring unrealistic levels. I am a greedy chap, but I don’t need to eat sixteen chickens an hour to stay alive. The budgeting of survival to exploration need not be so punishing, and I suspect is usually because a game really doesn’t have much to offer. That’s what I want.

So what do you want? Maybe it’s a whole new way of thinking about the first-person shooter. Or an RTS that doesn’t infuriate you by focusing on units when you really care about resources. Are you crying out for a management sim that doesn’t care about the happiness of the people?

Someone will read one of your comments and make a corresponding game. It’s inevitable.

, .

1. skurmedel says:

I want a first person game where you are the gun. Or possibly one of the critters trying to stop the protagonist.

• Berzee says:

lol, lol, lol :D

• diebroken says:

Dungeon Keeper lets you possess one of your minions and attack the dungeoneers from a FPP view.

• skurmedel says:

diebroken: Yeah, I had forgotten about that. Although I usually ended up possessing a bile demon abusing chickens in the pen. But still, you are kinda the protagonist there. I want something where everything is about the cool hero and you are lowly henchmen trying to stop him.

• Yosharian says:

How about just making Dungeon Keeper 3? Yeah. Not gonna happen.

Henke says:

Have you tried Dead Space 2 multiplayer? It lets you play as a necrothingydude, tasked with fucking things up for the human team, and it’s actually fun. :D

• diebroken says:

Natural Selection 2 should be actually/finally/ultimately/hopefully released this year as well…

• danimalkingdom says:

Do you remember Perfect Dark on N64 (OFF TOOOOPPIIICCC FLAMES)? It had that multiplayer mode where other players could play as the enemies, while player 1 went through the single-player campaign.

• Perjoss says:

pretty much what John Walker said, but a zombie survival game in an environment like GTA IV’s Liberty City. No driving around and weapons are very rare, a hunt for food and fellow survivors with a mysterious story. Something like the first Dead Rising but dark and maybe even scary.

• Ultra Superior says:

Well thats a pretty stupid idea.

So you kill the big hero. Then what ?

I guess you would go to a pen to abuse more chickens…

• skurmedel says:

Then he loads a quicksave.

• Ankheg says:

Oh, and there was an idea of playing Megatron in his transformed state.

2. Kadayi says:

Truly persistent universe with a strong narrative drive, and the ability to play single player or co-operative MP without the necessity for hard core grinding.

FhnuZoag says:

Along those lines:

The game is broken up into several sections. You start as an ordinary civilian in an eastern european city. This introduces the city and the gameplay mechanics, and lets you generate the character. Then one day, the nazis invade, and take over. This is the main part of the game, and involves you trying to keep you, your family, and any friends you have alive. Then at the end, the soviets push the germans back, the germans get really desperate, and things become *really* bad.

The game should be mostly combatless – the germans are armed and trained soldiers, you are not. You’ll have to avoid them to stay alive. Lots of moral choices along the way. Do you collaborate with the occupiers? Help the resistance? Just try to stay out of the way? When people come to you for help, do you take them in, knowing it’ll put further pressure on your meagre food supplies? Save the wounded soldier or hand him to the partisans? And what do you do about the ghetto full of doomed Jews?

Thief meets Pathologic meets Planescape Torment. Warsaw: the game.

• Hallgrim says:

1-10 player persistent world MO where you can have a huge impact on the game world and culture.

• Web Cole says:

First Person persistent high level simulated world, with faction building and management elements. In space.

Something that could scale from the intricateness of Dwarf Fortress but in 1st person (the engine on your space ship is fooked and you have to scrounge around for parts and McGyver it back to life) to the galaxy spanning building your own empire from literally nothing and having to fight a galactic war for survival, picking your Admirals or even your crews, designing your ships, managing the funds and coordinating the fight on every level you want to be involved in (But in 1st person).

I really can’t stress the 1st person part enough :P

3. StingingVelvet says:

Cyberpunk detective RPG with choice and consequence out the ass.

• StingingVelvet says:

And yeah, Deus Ex is almost my dream game… dreams do come true!

• Navagon says:

Deus Ex meets Tex Murphy? Yeah, now that could work.

• Lilliput King says:

Blade Runner not enough for you?

• Navagon says:

A new Blade Runner game would be awesome; but any licensed IP can cause distribution problems best avoided if possible.

• StingingVelvet says:

@ Navagon

Oh God, you gave me heart palpitations. GIMMIE!

• anotherman7 says:

This is mine as well, basically. Add stealth with Thief’s light mechanics and Amnesia’s physics. Unf.

• Navagon says:

Amnesia’s physics and manipulation could work well in an adventure game. Then again I suppose that in a way Amnesia and Penumbra before it are modern takes on the adventure genre.

AndrewC says:

STALKER but happy, please.

5. Metonymy says:

-Regional world domination. You must play for your region, if you play multiplayer.
    -Faithful recreation of Earth, based on satellite imagery.
    -Accessibility to a comical level. Big buttons, no option screens, no menus. When necessary, these appear, but only after the game begins.
    -Unite everyone from SC1 pro-league to farmville players, all in one game, by providing a variety of tasks for players of all types, with particular attention given to non-competitive activities for women.
    -Every game archetype integrated, all functioning in real time, but most notably first-person activity, real-time strategy and economics, and intelligence gathering.
    -During yearly resolutions, the best players from the strategy archetype become global commanders, directly coordinating all other events in an attempt to subdue all mortal authority.
    -Every major world power group included in the fluff. Banks, governments, educators, religious leaders, etc.
    -No rules, other than those logically necessary to enforce. No moderation. No law.

• Schmitzkater says:

I guess I’m just misunderstanding something here, but:

“non-competitive activities for women”

Do you really mean it in the sense that those activities should be especially suited to women, because they wouldn’t want to play it competitively?

• Rhin says:

Is there something wrong with that notion?

Some games that my guy-friends like:
      Call of Duty
      Starcraft
      Hon/Dota/LoL
      Marvel vs Capcom

Some games that my girl-friends like:
      Katamari
      WoW
      Dragon Age

• Shrike says:

Yes; It’s the definition of sexism. Observable trends do not make generalisations correct. Once upon a time you would have been able to say: “I could name 100 female receptionists off the top of my head, but I bet you can’t name one woman who manages a company.”

• Serenegoose says:

TF2 is the most played game on my steam list. I’ve sunk several days into Bad Company 2. I also play co-op games with my friends. Am I some sort of double agent with amnesia, to dare find enjoyment in both competitive games AND co-operative games? Who am I?! :(

• Schmitzkater says:

I worded my question in the hope that you could mean something other than what you , you know, were implying.
      But if you really think that way… yeah, what Shrike and Goose said.

• Rhin says:

@Schmitzkater: Obviously, any individual has a unique set of motivations and interests. My examples were the most polarizing… but they were intended to be. I don’t think there’s a “one size fits all” solution; in order to bring games to a wider audience, we need games that push the envelope of the relationship between the game and the gamer and change the nature of the motivations for gaming. I’d love to see more female game designers in the future. I think they’ll have many innovations to bring to both male and female gamers.

@Shrike: “Observable trends do not generalizations make” yes. Observable trends point to underlying issues. That’s how science gets started. Regarding the receptionists vs CEO argument, I definitely do not have the time to discuss such a complex topic, but my opinion is that negative environmental factors such as societal expectations and lack of role models accounts for the disparity and not any difference in motivation or ability to lead.

@Goose: I, too, enjoy both, and in fact, in general I prefer noncompetitive games. I completely agree no one can be pigeonholed into one category or the other.

• SpoonMan says:

I know a game exactly like that (although some people don’t like calling it a game)! It came out aaaages ago… I remember one of its names was RL.

6. Spinks says:

RPG where the main mechanic involves roleplaying, not killing stuff.

• trjp says:

It exists – it’s called A Tale in the Desert (2)…

• Serenegoose says:

Ah. Someone got there first. I love RPG games but I find myself grinding away through the combat. I want to experience a world, and characters, and immerse myself in it, collecting information, talking to people, solving puzzles (not stupidly abstracted puzzles, I mean natural, intuitive ones (err, feel I need to provide examples. An abstracted puzzle would be slide the blocks into place to unlock the door to reveal the macguffin which vanishes unless you make it there on a timer. A natural puzzle would be to ask a question which gets you an appointment to meet with an informant who’ll give you a book with a secret message in it which directs you to a tavern within which lies your macguffin. I wouldn’t want combat not to be there, but I’d want it to be one of many options, rather than an apparently unavoidable consequence of existing, due to be paid every ten mins or so.

Alternately, give me a Mistborn, Culture, or Laundry Files RPG and I’ll be quiet for a bit I guess.

• Pinkables says:

I concur. A story without the inevitable killing. Lots of interesting things transpire in life which don’t involve killing.

7. arienette says:

I’d go with something like your idea John, only some kind of earthquake/disaster survival in a city, proceduraly generated events and the like. Except coming up with a compelling reason to stay in the city is hard.

That or some kind of sprawling rpg set in arabic history.

8. Doesntmeananything says:

First person superhero simulator. With destructible environments, obviously.

9. diebroken says:

Something in the Thief universe, but not an MMO of any kind. Open like Thief 3, but not like any of the Assassin’s Creed series of games either… where your actions have consequences in the long term.

10. Cael says:

A cross between metro 2033, s.t.a.l.k.e.r. and fallout 3.
    Post apocalyptic russian open world horror fps with rpg elements and an emphasis on exploration, somebody make it happen!

11. bascule42 says:

Arma + FarCry + Dead Space + Resident Evil + Gunship 2000 + Biowares story telling.

Freedom/freeform, survival, killing, (duh), inventories, keys, flying machines, realistic combat, food & drink, bandages/medpacks – NON instant, open lush enviorments, dingy damp caves/underground complexes/large buildings, tropical/desert/ice land/jungle/urban/cites areas – the whole bloody world.

Ground breaking graphics, supurb lighting, photorealism, real sounds, accurate modelling of real life stuff, guns/vehicles etc.

A long in depth and above all immersive story.

About 600 hours gameplay with massive replayability.

It’s not much to ask.

• GODZiGGA says:

600 hours of game play with massive replayability = the last game you will ever have to buy!

c-Row says:

I mentioned this in the flight sim story already, but… a steampunk online trading flight sim. Think EVE meets Crimson Skies meets Elite.

13. checkit says:

A WW2 FPS where you play an American paratrooper on D-Day, named Baker or Miller or something similar.

• Doesntmeananything says:

Are you mad? Let’s at least be a little realistic.

• Sarlix says:

Yeah I think we need some boundaries here, otherwise people are just going to go silly.

• skurmedel says:

If we are going to be really wild here, what about a game where you run around in some kind of middle eastern city as a US grunt. Enemies with AK-47s crawl out of the woodwork, and all you have to stop them is your M4 with a holographic sight.

You will fight these fearless, and endlessly respawning enemies in countless (but strangely population empty) bazaars, dusty medinas and crashed helicopter sites. Everything will be very sandy and yellow, because there is no vegetation what so ever beyond the Mediterranean.

• ExMortis says:

Personally I’ve always wanted a top-down arena shooter with programmer art disguised as a “retro-modern” look. Oh, and blistering techno music.

14. Popish Frenzy says:

Total war +EU3+crusader kings+Mount and Blade, period 1450-1700 :D

15. Kdansky says:

Why talk about it when I can just make it?

Hah, take that, silly RPS!

16. Dawlight says:

I’ve never been looking forward this much to a game before. So I’m gonna say that Portal 2 pretty much is my dream game. At least from what I have seen.

17. Decimae says:

A mix between a FPS and a sandbox game, in which you collect resources to build things. Oh wait, that’s minecraft.

A FPS in which you shoot different things. Perhaps space manipulation thingies. Oh wait, that’s Portal.

A timetravel RTS. Oh wait, that’s Achron.

On a more serious note, I’d like to have a MMORPG in which the ethics and rules are (mostly) created by the players. I wouldn’t play it though, knowing me.

18. Hentzau says:

Syndicate, but with a massively expanded campaign side with more detailed agent management, R&D, branching missions a la Wing Commander and I have more control over my income than robbing banks/adjusting a tax slider.

(A straight adaptation of Necromunda for the PC would also be acceptable.)

19. Sceptrum says:

Sandbox-game based on the Blue Planet pen&paper RPG setting.

20. Vague-rant says:

A cheery version of Amnesia, character driven rather than fear driven. I suppose like what Telltale do, except with more awesome puzzles, and more charm.

21. Batolemaeus says:

I basically want a persistent mmo combining Eve handled by more capable developers and a ground based rts-alike with terrain deformation, building factory complexes, and running around on the ground as a fully dynamic mmofps defending / assaulting such complexes. Ground based and Spaceship parts are economically interdependent, with certain basic and advanced resources only available in their respective domain, forcing people to cooperate and to give meaning to the whole thing.
    On PC, of course.

Either that, or an amalgamation of wurm online and stalker. Huge world, fully deformable, building of settlements and landmarks, survival against nature and others wanting your stuff.

22. ImperialCreed says:

SupCom 40k.

That is, the massive battlefields and super zoom of Supreme Commander where the armies are drawn from the Warhammer 40k universe. If you’ve ever seen Epic 40,000, you’ll have a good idea of what I’m talking about.

23. vikingskull says:

just bring out a decent skateboarding game on the pc. thats all i ask!

24. Sarlix says:

Baldur’s gate in a sci-fi/cyberpunk setting and with guns. Please.

25. BebopBraunbaer says:

a game where no one can help or spoil you, where you cant save or restart. you have to live with every choice you make and theres no tutorial or cheatcode. wait.. is this life im talking about?

• disperse says:

- a sandbox game where you make the rules
      - next-gen stereotropic graphics
      - 80-90 years of gameplay

MajorManiac says:

But with far too much grinding for my taste.

• Baboonanza says:

Yeah, those fetch quests to Sainsbury’s are really turning me off.

• alick says:

yer sum thing like gta ecseped no story u make your story like u make your life but un like life u can start a new carector after u die or get bored of prison and not know how or cant escape
      the objective is to make as mutch money as u can and how u do this is purley limeted by your creativity , intelegens
      the choses available are unlimited
      do u work on your own or do u work as a team with sum frends but then you have to shear the wealth but u can all way screw your frends over ner the end of your life
      do u kidnap the securety enginer of a bank and bet out sum inteleges and go in at night , in – out un detected or do u go in the midel of the day guns blazing
      do u fill a warehouse with weed plants an hire sum home less npc to sell if for u or do u sell it your self or do u not like drugs and u bort a flat t1o rent out to students
      do u take your fortune and by more land to grow more weed and consiqutley in cress the chans of a batel the ATF oficers or have u lost your diziers for wealth and you go of to sum 3rd world country and fund accommodation and food an water projeks just to cee the smiles on there faces or u don’t care about smiles and each flat comes with the condition of 3 years free labor

sory i have ran out of time to propely spell chek sory

26. Halo says:

My dream game varies from time to time, but I frequently return to the thought of the MechCommander-that-could-have-been. One where I can play out a variety of campaigns, in a variety of settings. One where I can see the reputation of my mercenary company reflected in the contracts they are offered; a deft touch for getting in-and-out stealthily is rewarded with more contracts of that ilk, a reputation for violence sees not only friction with the factions I visit such violence upon, but a lot of contracts involving front-line fighting.
    In my MechCommander-that-could-have-been, I can dial up the realism from the style of MC2 (no component inventories, Mechs aplenty) to something approaching Harpoon or BC3K (repairs, bills, a running calendar and not a magical whisking from battlefield to battlefield).
    The alpha build of MechCommander Omnitech will never quite reach my aspirations, I expect. I heartily hope it’ll grow in the same manner as FS2Open. But it will continue to nourish me until I get the game that I want.

[EDIT - link for MC:O] http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=210.0

27. Yosharian says:

One of many would be:

An ultra-realistic RTS with a brilliant storyline… where you can take control of ANY unit at ANY time and deliver FPS justice… then switch back to RTS style… Total War-depth strategy married with SC2/WC3-style unit controls… Warzone 2100-style tech tree with upgrades… RPG-style choice and consequence and a resulting branching campaign mission tree… objective-based multiplayer co-operative missions that take hours to complete… etc

This game could never exist.

StingingVelvet’s game sounds pretty awesome, though.

28. AbyssUK says:

Its a simple formula really,

xcom + portal + minecraft + world of warcraft + eve + dwarf fortress = suspense + humour + boundless creativity + accessibility + economics + godlike attention to detail = dream game

So basically a game where you attempt to fight funny aliens that build with sticklebricks, in a world were everything has a prrice and I mean everything!

• disperse says:

I’d take Minecraft + Dwarf Fortress.

• jrod says:

big YES to Minecraft + Dwarf Fortress! Two of my favorite games… basically i think i never grew out of building cool forts.

29. kurige says:

This is a bit more abstract than most of the suggestions in this thread, but this is an idea I’ve been mulling around in my head for quite some time. Basically since I first played Elite and the power of procedurally generated content really because apparent to me.

My dream game would be any game, of any genre, that had a compelling precedurally generated storyline. If I were a millionaire, I would make this an X Prize style competition.

This could take a number of different forms.

It could be a text adventure that doesn’t end, but rather reforms itself continuously as you progress, like the Young Lady’s Illustrated Primer in Neal Stephenson’s Diamond Age.

In a more open ended game, like Minecraft, it could take the form of procedurally generated quests/goals that are part of an overarching, compelling storyline that is revealed bit by bit, but different every time you play.

Maybe I should have saved my breath and just said, “Quinns’ Journey of Saga, but as a real game,” because that about sums it up.

• Grygus says:

I’m pretty sure you have defeated this challenge. All the other games listed could conceivably be part of this one.

• Rane2k says:

Procedurally generated storyline? Yes, please!

30. White Whale says:

Full persistent Forgotten Realms mmo, that extends to the whole realm and doesn’t leave even a bit out.

Generic setting, but I’ve always had a soft spot for it. It didn’t hurt that Baldur’s Gate 2 was the best game ever.

Lambchops says:

A game which has a so many convoluted branches and pathways through it so as to be replayable in an uttery different way each time, while still having a reasonable narrative and which allows you (perhaps either by you being a spy or a series of genetiall modified agents bred in a clone tank or whatever) to have a series of different personas whih can ll make their mark on the world in different ways with both positive and negative consequence for you (if someone you’ve charmed the pants off earlier crops up in a later scenario then use the same persona and get them to help you again, if you’ve pissed them off then either do so again or adopt a new face and be nicer this time etc.). Oh and a game that’s willing to kick you in the balls every once in a while without a “curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal” type twist.

Oh and jetpacks, you can’t go wrong with jetpacks.

Norskov says:

Prototype-style game with Champions level of customization and L4D style Director to control the enemies. And if technology wasn’t a limit: Fully Destructible City.

stahlwerk says:

A world war I flying game / adventure with an open world first person engine so that you can run around the aerodrome, the nearby towns for R&R, need to evade capture when downed behind enemy lines, a story at least on Wing Commander 2 levels, but one that paints the whole mess in all shades of gray available. But I think the most important part of it would be to simulate the machine as something entirely detached from the player character, like in the DCS games, but which I think would work rather well with WW1 cockpit mechanics complexity.

stahlwerk says:

Actually, now that I think of it, a world war 1 Arma2 mod could do all that. Is there something like that?

34. Sajmn says:

A always-first-person game with free running, shooting, swordfighting, mech-piloting, multi-path conversation options. AFPGWFRSSFMPMPCO for short

• Jesse L says:

That’s almost Riddick. No swordfighting, but you can beat on robots with a pipe. No freerunning, but you can see your legs! And no multiple conversation options, but Riddick always picks the coolest option anyway.

35. tstapp1026 says:

I’ve been wishing for a dark Sci-Fi mmo a la R. Talsorian’s cyberpunk that is truly persisent and player driven much like that of Eve Online. This would come complete with the various gameplay types as described in the old pnp roleplaying books as well. Netrunning, if done right? F*ck yeah!

• Tom OBedlam says:

please please please please please please please please please

I’ve wanted this since I was eleven. Gene-Tweak me!

36. Ralud says:

Stop it John, I will not have you encouraging the 12 year old fanboy within me.

Just Cause 2′s game engine expanded to cover galaxies of the Mass Effect universe and you play as a spectre and and and… ENOUGH!

• Metonymy says:

You know JC is just a console game right? The PC ports don’t even add PC controls. How can you play this game after playing a FPS with a mouse? I still have my $8 controller for fighters and platformers, but I would never use it on a first/third person perspective.

On topic, I approve of the sheer scale of JC. I’d rather have the scale multiplied 100 times over, even if it means the details drops by an equivalent amount. There would have to be a gameplay purpose for so much real estate, of course.

• Ralud says:

Keyboard and mouse works just as well as an xbox controller on the pc version.
      The mod support, the superior graphics and the benchmark function makes the pc version the superior one of this multiplatform title.

• Baboonanza says:

My main complaint about open-world games (including JC 2 and GTA4) is that when they’re ported to the PC they keep the ridiculously tight memory constraints from the console.

I don’t want the world to reset when I turn a corner and I have many gigs of ram sitting empty while the bloody game needlessly culls objects. I left that burnt-out plane there for a reason dammit and I want it to be there when I come back!

37. Navagon says:

1. Precursors with a massive budget and more Stalker-ish qualities pretty much sum it up. Something not only open world, but open worlds. With more variety across the board and some more purpose to the space aspect of the game.

2. Syndicate remake. Much more focus on being a company than a government. You never completely own a region. Instead you’ve got a market share to protect while whittling down that of the competition. Sabotaging them without revealing yourself to be behind the attacks is key. Or maybe you could persuade their own staff to do your dirty work for you? Action would probably be seen through your agent’s eyes, but you’d still have a large section of city to explore with multiple side quest options to further your own agenda.

3. A game which could best be summed up as a proper X-COM sequel. Again, could be first person, (with highly destructible environments) but all other elements remain in tact from Apocalypse. With a decent ending this time too.

38. csuzw says:

A secret society/conspiracy theory/spy/investigation based RPG. It would include combat but it would possible to avoid it and it wouldn’t be the main focus. You coud have/hire companions but you only have high level control over them (ie you don’t micro-manage them, you just give broad orders like cover me, scout over there, investigate this object etc) and they’d be mostly mercenary so they might betray you over money but you’re not going to spend much, if any, time dealing with their emotional baggage or trying to get into their pants. Settings-wise I’m not so concrete on, I like the thought of a Warhammer 40k Inquisition setting, also a modern day, no/little future tech/magic would also be good. I really like the idea of most things being procedurally generated so that you wound never encounter everything in 1 playthrough and you could get very different stories and outcomes in subsequent playthroughs. I also have no idea how you’d make the investigative side of the game fun without it becoming a point and click adventure or having lots of mini-games that would become boring quickly.
    Failing that a new arcade space combat game with rpg elements like Freelancer would make me very happy. Also any RPG modern/very near future real world setting would interest me especially if it manages to take the good bits of Alpha Protocol but actually manage to finish the game with cutting myriad corners to do so. Or a Necromunda game (Cyanide could easily do this I’d have thought – BB:LE was damn good other than the questionable AI).

Magga says:

Turn-based modern combat or cyberpunk with advanced graphics and physics.
    Essentially I want Jagged Alliance remake to be turn-based and on Frostbyte engine.

• briktal says:

I’m thinking something like that, but set more like X-COM (cannon fodder units instead of super unique mercs, being outgunned by the enemy though you’ll probably have superior numbers half the time). It couild be pausable real time instead of turn based. But the big thing would be a lot more tactical options, either in context sensitive actions for things like throwing grenades around a corner or entering a room, or better/additional support items: smoke grenades, flashbangs, mines, machine guns, air support, etc.

Magga says:

Also some economic macromanagement and detailed development of your soldiers and equipment customisation.

40. zergrush says:

I want a Warhammer 40K rts that actually works like the tabletop version.
    A Thief clone in a modern setting.
    A good online TCG.
    An action rpg with mechanics similar to Magicka but a bit more varied, mixing different skills from different classes in coop would be pretty cool.
    A Dark Heresy Mass Effect-style RPG with online multiplayer and a good mission editor.

• jakobrogert says:

Regarding a W40K RTS – Did you try the Firestorm over Kaurava mod? The attributes and mechanics in that mod are all made to simulate the tabletop rules.

41. bit_crusherrr says:

A Planetside style MMOFPS set in the WH40k universe,

42. Berzee says:

Anyhow, I have two dream games:

1) A Christian game that isn’t blisteringly awful. You might think if you were making a game as an act of worship you would try to make it good…but apparently, in reality, making a game as an act of worship just prompts people to add lots of Bible trivia questions between levels, or come up with hilarious justifications for normal gameplay (i.e. you aren’t shooting people with a gun! you’re shooting internal demons with…faith bullets?). I have a long-term life goal of making the whole Bible into non-embarrassing computer games. There’s loads of untapped potential in the Bible for great games and new ways to play.

2) I want an MMO with
    a) Only local chat. NO CHAT CHANNELS. If you want to talk to someone, find them in the world or (depending on setting) get their in-game telephone number.
    b) No UI. If you want to carry an item, you can put it in a bag. If you want to learn a skill, you will notice you’re getting better at it as you practice. If you want to tell how strong someone is, watch them fight.
    c) Interactive crafting (i.e. a physics model for what happens when you heat metal and hammer it — somehow translating into stats on the final product…but of course the stats would only be evident in how durable and well-balanced the sword was, since there’s no UI for stats)
    d) Ideally the MMO would be set in a world that is exactly like the 1990′s but with wizards. Hopefully guns will be explained away as gunpowder being too easy to ignite.

3) I am SURE that I have a thousand more dream games, but the pressure of the moment is too great! Ah! I can’t think of them. Well, I will have to wait until the next slow news day to make my demands. =)

43. delusionsofnoir says:

Planescape Torment MMO in first person.

• Stick says:

Ohyes.

As long as you get Mazed for acting like, well, an MMO player and not a character. (Let’s face it, Planescape requires some imagination and effort to participate in.)

44. AbyssUK says:

How about Minecraft…. but with atoms!

• Voxel_Music_Man says:

Megastructures: “After 8 years of placing individual atoms, I’ve made something that is visible using only a conventional microscope!”

45. pakoito says:

*A brawler where you can choose your moveset á là God Hand but you have to craft your equipment from carved monsters to improve your damage output so you can dare attack higher level monsters, even though they are never locked and can be taken out if the player is skilled and patient enough.
    *Open consistent world where exploration primes over mob camps.
    *Instanciated random dungeons with bosses, grindy or exploration quests. PvP and scripted arena bossfights.
    *Built-in cardgame where the cards are also crafted from monster pieces or natural resources.
    *On the other hand cities and most of the world common for everyone, lots of gathering and crafting to create your own virtual life, like in Second Life or Habbo. Create your own shop, build your house and you domains as in Lego Universe, Neverdaunt or Minecraft.
    *Non-explicit factions and faction area control control like in Darkfall. Castle assaults like in Mount&Blade.
    Basically “High Fantasy nobody simulator” with a competitive twist.

46. RagingLion says:

Ooh, I’ve already got a pre-built answer for this one. Here’s my description of a dream game that’s an open-world buddy road game that was inspired by a piece Jim wrote a while back lamenting the lack of the equivalent of a road movie in gaming.

Basically you have an end goal that’s a physical location but then have a lot of freedom as to how to get there and it’s all very dynamic especially regarding one NPC that you travel the whole journey with.

That’s ‘a’ dream game though and not necessarily my ‘ultimate’ game. Really I just thirst for things that are completely original that we haven’t seen the like of yet, but I’d want something that’d move me emotionally and make me think and astound me. Something like The Witness holds hope for being that, though I’m speculating wildly without knowing how that game will end up feeling and actually be.

Oozo says:

Read that. Like it. Want that now. (And, contrary to a lot of other suggestions here, it seems utterly feasible. Will anybody step up to the challenge?! Though I would maybe completely get rid of the guns.)

• gwathdring says:

I love the general frame of the idea. Except the capture part. It could work, but I think there are more creative ways to make the same sort of tension that would be dependent on the setting and the plot.

I can see a post-apocalyptic Rage/The Road style game, but I can also see this working in many other environments. The same general idea could be easily made into a compelling frontier exploration game or a medieval Europe setting (maybe your character joins a seasoned traveler on the long road to Jerusalem to join Richard’s army after your homestead is ransacked by bandits or by a rival lord of your master’s; with nothing really to lose, you set out and over the course of the journey Jerusalem changes insofar as what it means to the characters).

Setting aside setting, one of the first things I thought about was whether or not the characters reach their final destination. Not on account of death, but especially in a post apocalyptic world, maybe this paradise doesn’t exist (maybe the experienced fellow was making up stories because he truly believes in it and figured he could use help getting there). Or maybe they learn something radically new about it on the course of travel and change their minds. Or maybe they find something else along the way. Or some catastrophe between the two characters leaves one heading toward the final goal and one walking away by choice.

It’s a simple, but elegant story that we as a culture love to tell. And it has so many variations … it’s a great story to tell with a game, especially an open world game. In my head it’s something like Mass Effect, Fallout, and Bioshock (character driven, extensive dialogue; open world travel, frontier atmosphere, scarcity of ammunition and supplies; characters as a form of environment, madness and competitive survival, the living world feel, environment as an antagonist) with a healthy dose of new ideas and material, adherence to the commandments of video games (thou shalt not make checkpoints right before cut scenes) and a fair bit of ye olde Oregon Trail: a final destination, with path choices (more extreme, of course, as this is to be open world) and a stable combination of random and pre-set events and obstacles.

• danimalkingdom says:

This really interests me, especially because the idea is tantalisingly feasible.

• Quarok says:

OH MY GOD!
      Guys, look up the character Prester John (or Mandeville) and his place in forming the way the West though about the Orient for hundreds of years. Now THAT would be an awesome story to premise this game on.

47. President Weasel says:

Something with the overarching vision and ambition of EVE, where all the players are in one population rather than split into servers. Players able to shape the world and the economy and have lasting effects on the setting.

Ideally, something like EVE but with individual planets and stations that people can live their whole in-game “lives” on, within solar systems that people can fly around in space-ships (with journeys between planets taking hours of in-game time) , within a cluster of solar systems that take considerable time to travel between – so a group of players could, at considerable investment of in-game assets, purchase a vessel capable of travelling between solar systems, then set out on a journey that takes two weeks of real time and have a massive effect on the economy of a frontier world by turning up in a ship full of manufactured goods, and stocking up on raw materials for the return journey – only to be shot out of space by some scrappy little pirates, because the crew were all logged out or afk.
    Persistence of assets – Spaceships can be relatively safe docked at a reputable space station (although still vulnerable to sabotage if someone hates you badly enough), but they won’t disappear when you log out.
    Larger ships requiring multiple human crew to run them efficently, with automated guns, missiles, countermeasures etc being much less effective than when a crewmember with the relevant skills is manning the station.

That’s what I’d like.

• zbeeblebrox says:

(with journeys between planets taking hours of in-game time)
      And, I would hope, tons of awesome fun stuff to do on your ship while idling away. :|

I appreciate the spirit of your idea, but what you ultimately described was “Time Sink: The Game”

48. Branthog says:

My dream game is EVE-Online, thirty years from now, when it has not only involved even further in complexity and freedom and countless options of ways to live your in-game life, but is presented to you in either a holodeck experience or a “plug a cord into your skull and play the game in your mind” way.

49. MadTinkerer says:

Procedurally Generated Immersive Sim. With, unlike Minecraft for example, actual NPCs, places, and storylines. Also unlike Minecraft, not infinite but rather following a proper main storyline as well as optional sidequests in a particular generated setting. Also unlike minecraft, geometry should not be based on voxels and blocks but rather prefabs (see Valve dev wiki, but the term is used by others) of certain standard dimensions.

I’m not picky about the details of the setting, but an immersive sim with a world that is generated from scratch when you start a new game is pretty much the Holy Grail of gaming in my opinion. I’ve actually done quite a bit of theoretical design work on it, but I’m not ready to make it myself yet. Still learning C++ and DirectX and all that.

• HexagonalBolts says:

I think Notch actually wants to add people, places/castles and quests / a storyline. I suspect the towns won’t be very developed though. God I’d love that.

• danimalkingdom says:

Some simple settlements and a dynamic npc system of some kind would be the icing on the cake. I don’t think minecraft needs much more than that, buyt the idea of a village of other people, perhaps in the next valley, and having to gauge their intentions, reason with them, etc, that makes me drool. metaphorically.

50. Adriaan says:

Dwarf Fortress with 2D isometric / 3D graphics, or another RTS + City Builder and management game. More or less Age of Empires 2, Cossacks / American Conquest, Anno and Stronghold smelted together on the scale of a large country or small continent. This without it being turn based, and also being able to either zoom out a la Supreme Commander or have a large map overview in some other way whilst still being able to zoom in to a level of detail of the earlier mentioned games.

• Birdy says:

@Adriaan

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head, and being able to play as any one of your soldiers and haveing a combat system like mount and blade would be my dream game.

the depth of dwarf fortress with the combat of mount and blade.

but being able to zoom down and still manage your supplies/cities for your armies, being able to save a specific “schematic” for buildings so you can place it down and your people will build it quicker.

• HexagonalBolts says:

Dwarf Fortress in isometric still makes me weep with desire several years on

• Pinky G says:

Heard of Dwarf Fortress Stonesense?