Not LFG: 250K Sign Up To RuneScape Clans

By Jim Rossignol on April 13th, 2011 at 3:30 pm.

Not actual gameplay.
Quietly one of the most popular games on the net, RuneScape is not exactly short of players. It has, for the longest time, however, been short of a way to provide those players with the same kind of community-building infrastructure as other popular online games. The latest update fixes that, and it’s proving popular, as Jagex report: “In just 24 hours more than 250,000 RuneScape players have formed clans, including over 370 clans containing 50 members or more. The update gives RuneScape clans a real presence in the game and included a host of new features including individual clan camps, chat channels, clan customisations, clan websites and new in-game content; Rated Clan Wars.”

RuneScape is free to play, and has been out for a very long time indeed.

, , .

1. frenz0rz says:

Ah yes, I have such great memories of playing the original iteration of Runescape in my first few years of high school, cowering behind a monitor at the back of the room during an IT lesson and praying that the teacher didnt notice me playing (instead of learning how to use Microsoft Access) so that I could mine that little bit more copper to finish my armour.

As an aside, Runescape also taught me that Copper + Tin = Bronze. Learning is fun!

2. Temple to Tei says:

Well, I’m 6 of those people :)
    Dood, it’s a free cape! That you can change! And make it look like a slayer cape from a distance.

Plan to go back to memebership when I have enough respect to pimp my dwarf cannon. I have no idea why.
    Or for Easter I haven’t decided yet. Though logically not a lot of point, as wont be many more updates this month beyond the easter event -they are doing something for THE wedding as well.

3. Eschatos says:

Runescape is an odd game. It does so many things a million times better than most other MMOs. 95% of the quests are interesting and imaginative. You won’t see more than a few “Take this package to X” or “Kill Y of Z” quests. The problem is that all these great ideas are put into one of the shittiest interfaces of any MMO.

• Crescend says:

While the guests were pretty decent, the combat is propably the second worst I’ve ever seen (right after Wurm Online). That said, I did enjoy playing the game as long as there remained places to be explored and optimal skill leveling chains to be invented, after that it’s worse grind than korean MMO’s.

4. FalseMyrmidon says:

Wow, it really is a slow news day.

5. BunnyPuncher says:

Runescape, that takes me back. Ty :)

6. Barnaby says:

I recently tried playing this as my gf has been playing it off and on since her high school days. There are lots of really charming aspects about it but there is plenty to complain about. One of my biggest gripes is that teamwork and partying don’t seem to be a very big part of the game (at least not up to the point I played).

I am really dying to find a fun MMO that isn’t WoW. I never tried Guild Wars but I’m thinking I’ll take a crack at the second one once it comes around.

7. Eightball says:

I always laughed at people who played Runescape, then went and played Kingdom of Loathing late into the night.

8. LASture says:

I actually beta tested Runescape back in… God what was it…either 4th or 5th grade. So either 1999 or 1998. One server, about 20 people on, and two cities. Was weird how a few people saw me playing it, word got around, and then it just friggin exploded across school, getting banned from our local library like 10 times. Funny stuff.

Just trip down memory lane right there, god I feel old.

9. Tams80 says:

Ah, RuneScape. As others have said; the memories, the memories indeed. The quests really were/are some of the best I have seen in any MMORPG, so much thought seems to go into them! The cultural references (gaming and non-gaming) along with some of the jokes are great. It’s a shame that it really can be the most awful grindfest if you want to get your skills to a decent level.

The last time I played though, the player base was getting very obnoxious (why I quit) and the Grand Exchange was an utter main in the arse (though there was a poll to change it back a while back). Don’t even get me started on pure essence though!

I really should get back to it though; as I have been paying membership all this time…