Risen 2: Dark Waters Features Pirates

By Jim Rossignol on April 13th, 2011 at 10:07 pm.

Doomed pirates are a fun time.
It is tradition within the walls of Castle Shotgun to frown upon CGI trailers with a big bushel of frowns, but the trailer for Risen 2: Dark Waters has a number of frown-dissolving elements. 1) Pirates. 2) It’s quite pretty. 3) Voodoo. 4) Firearms. 5) It means we’re getting another Risen game, and it features pirates, firearms, and voodoo. All these things are backed up by the announcement from Deep Silver and Piranha Bytes, who say that the game will take place across a number of distinct islands, as your character seeks to persuade pirates to help him battle sea-monsters. The game will also apparently feature “dirty-tricks” in combat, which is either in keeping with the pirate theme, or worrying scatalogical. Either way, I’m on board.

Trailer below decks, etc. (Sigh.)

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

sendmark says:

I enjoyed the first one, so will definitely be up for this. Nice cinematic trailer, very PotC though :P

2. Rii says:

Voodoo doll is clearly overpowered.

3. Teddy Leach says:

Why are pirates called pirates?

4. Navagon says:

You make it sound like Monkey Island the RPG. The vidoe does nothing to confirm this, but it’s impressive in its own right. I’m expecting good things from this. Not legendarily awesome perhaps. But certainly good.

5. McDan says:

Be honest Jim, you loved using that below deck pun.

6. Hoaxfish says:

some sort of inevitable comment about piracy involving pirating a game about pirates, but I can’t think of how to word it right now.

Andy_Panthro says:

I’m sure such scurvy sea-dogs will be made to walk the plank!

• weetchex says:

So the ending was a metaphor for the DRM that will have its tentacles all over this game to smack down any pirates it finds?

7. Nameless1 says:

Didn’t finish the first one: too boring and too casual, unfinished in its final chapters, and with a combat system surely not good enough.

Let’s hope this one will be different enough.

• Creeping Death says:

Got to say you are the first person I’ve ever seen call a Pirhana Bytes game “casual” :/

• Drakon says:

Really now. I mean, it’s true that it’s probably the most noob-friendly PB game yet (it even features a tutorial of sorts!), but it’s far from anyone’s definition of casual.

Why, apparently some people have given up playing it from the first minutes, absolutely opressed by the very first tasks and enemies encountered!

8. SpinalJack says:

Anyone remember the cartoon Pirates of Dark Water?
    Used to watch that on morning TV

• Rei Onryou says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one reminded of it by this post!

It was an awesome kid’s show. Re-watched it while a Uni – was still fairly good, but the last few episodes (before it was cancelled) went a bit weird. Why is it cartoons aren’t as unique as this anymore?

• Drakon says:

I sure do! Great cartoon.

It’s a funny story. I have, at best, extremely hazy memories about it. Actually, I only have one. I vaguely remember I was watching it once, when I was little, and I was in a hospital. That’s pretty much it. And then I forgot I ever watched it. But despite that, visual memories, such as characters and stuff, were permanently imprinted, and sometimes, over the years, I would randomly remember bits and, frustratingly, could not explain how or why I knew about them. It was only a couple years ago it finally clicked, just like that: “OMG, I know, it was this cartoon from back then, something about pirates and dark water!!!”.

I know it all sounds rather silly, but for this reason, for me there’s a certain mystique surrounding this cartoon.

Vandelay says:

Wow, that really is a blast from the past. Hardly remember a thing about the cartoon (I have a terrible memory for anything during my younger years,) but definitely watched it. That intro brings back memories.

• disperse says:

Yeah, I definitely watched that show. I forgot all about the pirate on pirate sodomy that the trailer seems to show:

9. Furius says:

Is that the same dude as the first one? Sounds a bit like him but not sure.

• Pemptus says:

Yup. Apparently he developed some emotions since then. And hair.

10. MrWolf says:

Some gameplay footage would have been nice, but you know what they say about beggars and choosers.

11. Vinraith says:

That sounds like it has some promise, I should probably go play the first one finally…

12. paggo says:

Nice! I don’t remember playing a RPG with a pirates theme and voodoo.

If it’s the same hero in Risen1, he will be quite powerful. I guess he will lose his memory and powers. A god will curse him and start from scratch.

• Pemptus says:

From what’s known he turned into a disillusioned drunk after the first game, so there’s your “amnesia” shtick.
      I’m fine with it, personally, I love being actually weak and helpless at level 1.

13. Joe Maley says:

I couldn’t stand the first one. I started on the beach or something, it said to find a stick. So I went looking, and then was killed by a bird. I probably took a wrong path, but still.

So I restarted, and the voice acting was terrible. And if this trailer is an indication, the voice acting hasn’t gotten any better. It seemed way to dramatic for the lack of body language/facial expressions.

• Drakon says:

Seriously? You hate the game because of your lack of perception and basic orientation? Talk about a short attention span… You’re missing out on a great game. Maybe RPGs aren’t for you.

• Hellraiserzlo says:

I stuck with the game until you begin finding some structures in the forest, but the combat is a part of the game and it’s so bad, unlike lets say metro 2033, this is an rpg and to experience the game I would have had to ignore how bad it is for like 20-30 hours, ffs a random bore killed me.

• Batolemaeus says:

You managed to get killed by a monster that is easy to defeat once you learn how to avoid its attacks, and you think the combat is bad because you did not manage to defeat an early enemy?

Huh.

• Subject 706 says:

Jesus, I’m seriously tempted to call some of you guys retarded. “I walked off the beaten path and got killed by a bird/combat is difficult, wah wah wah”.

Do you want games with no survival challenge at all? Maybe Fable is more to your liking then.

• Hellraiserzlo says:

The game controls are unresponsive, don’t blame everything on people slowness.

• Vague-rant says:

A little unresponsive, but his complaint about finding the stick is unfounded- the stick is right beside you! As for combat being poor… takes a little getting used to, but its certainly not the worst RPG combat I can think of.

Oh as for poor voice acting, fair enough. There are a few decent voices here and there though.

• Vexing Vision says:

The German voice-actors (all four of them – le sigh!) are actually quite fun and have been around since Gothic 1. So yeah, they may all sound the same, but they sound all the same awesome.

If you have a chance, grab the German version – I certainly will.

14. Creeping Death says:

Huh apparently the trailer isn’t available for me. Sucky

15. Teronfel says:

Oh i love voodoo!!!

16. Hayvic says:

SPACE PIRATES!

17. Urthman says:

I had no idea until now how excited I would be by the idea of an RPG featuring voodoo and pirates made by the Gothic team. It’s kind of hard to believe that twist on swords and sorcery hasn’t been done more.

18. outoffeelinsobad says:

Looks like a kraken good time.

19. mlaskus says:

I played the first Risen a while ago, but I thought that everything besides the island where the story played out was going to be destroyed by some monsters rising from the oceans. Now, I do like where they are going with it, pirates and all, but I’m confused story-wise. Why are there people on the other islands still alive?

• Pemptus says:

They always were. In the first game, the inquisitor went loopy and wanted to control the titan and sacrifice the island in order to save the mainland. Our hero wouldn’t stand for it and killed the inquisitor and the titan, taking the task of killing all the other titans in the process. Or something. I’m a bit fuzzy on the story myself, to be honest, but it went something like that.

20. Tuco says:

I loved Risen, almost as good as Gothic, and even better on some side.

I can’t wait for this sequel.
    To me it sounds far more exciting than Skyrim and its level scaling shit.

21. DeepSleeper says:

Wait.
    A Risen/’Gothic’ game with -guns-.
    How hilariously fatal is THIS going to be?

• Tuco says:

i can’t really see any problem with guns as substitutes of bows and crossbows.

22. A-Scale says:

I love Pegi (age) guy!

23. TheSquarePear says:

It seemed to me as if the demo part of Risen was the best part of it.

The rest of it needed more T’n’A :P