Epic Offer Bulletstorm Soundtrack For Free

By Quintin Smith on April 14th, 2011 at 9:34 am.

*appropriate bugle blare*

I am as outraged as a man who hasn’t yet felt the effects of his morning tea can be. Which is to say I look the same but I’m typing marginally harder.

I spotted over at PC Gamer that Epic have released the Bulletstorm soundtrack for free. Kind of them, no? You can download it here. Except I’ve just discovered the hard way (clicking through every track in sequence) that it features everything except the Disco Inferno cover that plays when you get to the club, which is to say they left out the one track everyone remembers. Epic have dropped the ball right onto our collective face. If you haven’t played Bulletstorm, you can watch the part I’m talking about below.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. beefchief says:

I’m so glad we have keyboards

2. Ondrej says:

I played the demo and I just couldn’t stand the consoliditis it suffered from. And since the whole point of this game is to collect …erm, points, which I don’t find appealing, I unistalled it after like 11 minutes, of which 9 minutes were unskippable scenes. Bummer, because I really wanted to like it. Soundtrack giveaway is a nice thing, though.

• Quintin Smith says:

The point of the game is really just to have fun. That demo is of the game’s score attack mode, and is a pretty poor representation of the game as a whole. The single-player campaign is a beautiful piece of work.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Wow you didn’t research the game much before downloading the demo did you?

Or watch any videos.

Or see any of the screenshots.

Crikey if I only spent 2 minutes playing most games I’d think I’d not enjoy them either.

“Yeah I played Mass Effect 2 for two minutes but then uninstalled it. There was a cut scene I had to interact with then I was running around in this spaceship that was exploding and for some reason the sound cut out and I couldn’t shoot anything. A Bad game IMO.”

• Clockwork Peanut says:

I havn’t played the demo, but it sounds as if Epic really managed to screw it up.

Bulletstorm is the only FPS that I’ve found myself addicted to replaying since HL2 (love the Echoes mode). It has the same kind of mentality of Super Meat Boy – it relishes in the fact that it is game, it encourages you to aim at high scores, but every attempt, regardless of whether you succeed, is downright fun.

Bulletstorm is perphaps somewhat consolised, but to be honest watching that ‘burn baby burn’ video just shows how idea behind the game is a bit crippled on consoles because you need the precision of mouse aim to intentionally, consistently get skillshots.

• Wulf says:

I was put off by its identity crisis, to be honest. It feels as though it’s taking itself very seriously, but then it has this crass humour which just didn’t fit it at all, it broke the fourth wall, it made fun of itself, it made everything a joke, a bad, bad toilet joke, and then sat there, stone-faced, trying to explain why the joke worked. I’m put off by that sort of humour in the first place, it’s just not my thing, it’s a personal preference. But that they did that somehow made it… worse.

I’m still looking for games which have more intelligent humour, the sort of thing that makes you laugh and think, that amuses you whilst subverting your notions, challenging your conceptions, and making you question things whilst having a laugh at the same time. If there’s one thing I miss about games, it’s that. There are plenty of old games that did that and I could name them, but it seems like crass humour that doesn’t want you to think is the order of the day, these days.

But, again, Bulletstorm was an odd beast. It was making toilet jokes and then turning toilet jokes into scientific experiments and asking me to take them seriously. It’s schizophrenic, in a way, it can’t decide whether it wants to be intelligent or stupid. If the humour had been intelligent, it probably all would’ve worked.

(Great example of intelligent humour? Pretty much everything related to Portal. Looking forward to Portal 2! But that kind of thing is too rare, don’t you think?)

3. SquareWheel says:

While I didn’t find the soundtrack that memorable, it’s good to see EA giving something away for once.

• zipdrive says:

It’s still not enough to cover their Dragon Age: Origins blunder.

Speaking of which, I found the workaround to be simply logging off the service. Has anyone had similar success?

4. Land says:

Did you finish filling out the census? If so, please reevaluate your love for me. Also hope you sent it in in time, heard you can get fines of up to £1,000.

5. PatrickSwayze says:

I’d rather have a patch that fixes the whole diagonal line across the screen problem.

It was a bummer having to play the game with God Rays disabled.

Then I’ll actually bother with the multiplayer and the whole Echoes thing.

6. Njordsk says:

The FOV gave me serious motion sickness, the crypted files a headache, the divided by 7 resolution or else you run at 30fps too.

I passed.

7. McDan says:

TEA RAGE! I haven’t played the game at all, so haven’t heard the soundtrack before. But I imagine it won’t be as good as when the Beyond Good and Evil soundtrack was given out for free. Still listen to that.

8. Kollega says:

Oh my. Trying to get skillshots with a gamepad, from a first-person perspective… yeaaah. Not the prettiest sight to behold. I can attest to the fact it plays much better in the PC version.

As for the cover of Disco Inferno not being included in the free soundtrack, it’s probably because of the licensing issues. What a shame indeed – the only other memorable tune in it is the main menu one.

9. terry says:

Can I have a patch for whatever forces me to take cover and then immediately kills me on starting from my current checkpoint? No? Oh.

10. Darko Drako says:

IT was presumably just a copyright issue. They were probably not “allowed” to release this track for free, as it is a published song.

• Starky says:

Agreed chances are high that EA just didn’t have publishing rights for the cover, only usage rights within the game.

11. Navagon says:

Nice! Freebies are always welcome. Well, good ones that are worth my time are. A free 5 hour long lecture in the intricacies of sewage plumbing doesn’t really qualify.

12. Josh Brandt says:

Can I play the soundtrack on my dick? If not, not interested.

13. bleeters says:

Excellent, I finally have musical accompaniment whilst I’m busy raping all those people.

14. Davie says:

Rarghagh.

It’s like when Avalanche released the Just Cause 2 soundtrack for free and it had everything but the absolutely kickass Reapers theme, which was completely unlike the rest of the Bond-esque soundtrack and sounded like the music that would play while every general from Dynasty Warriors combined together to form a giant robot.

….okay, that was a little off-topic. Still, rarghagh.

• EthZee says:

Man, with you on that. That song is one of the best in the game; like, as some wit on youtube described it, “The North Korean Boy Scouts theme”.

Luckily, someone released a full HD edition of the soundtrack, with that wonderful song. Google Just Cause 2 Soundtrack for satisfaction.

15. Text_Fish says:

I hate Bulletstorm with a passion. People Can Fly did such an amazing job with Painkiller. It felt so meaty and grounded. Then Epic come along with their pussyass (it’s a thing, really) floaty-feeling engine, pseudopunk overclipped map designs and peashooty weapons to ruin everything.

That dialogue was so needlessly offensive too. No, I don’t mean the swearing, I mean the TERRIBLE writing and timid-14-yearold-PCGamer-reading-”haXX0r”-claiming-”n00b”-saying delivery. Utter pants.

To top it all off, after thoroughly not enjoying the demo I had to CTRL-ALT-DEL out of it because they ran a ten hour unskippable rolling vid when I tried to quit. Fuckers.

I realise some people don’t think it should be judged on its demo … but what the fuck is a demo for then? Pfft.

• Thants says:

Peashooty weapons? Are you kidding me? Maybe if you literally only tried the very first gun.

And if you can’t appreciate good smart-dumb writing it’s your own problem.

• trjp says:

At least you don’t have to stand around for 20 mins waiting for the dead enemies souls to appear.

That utterly ruined Painkiller for me – it was MASSIVELY retarded and completely rerailed what was otherwise a decent shooter…

I’m astonished no-one every patched it to work properly – or perhaps they did and I never noticed??

16. kennycrown says:

Never done any horse archery though, but I’ve done a fair bit of general archery with ye olde longbow (133lb draw 32 inch), and it hurts like hell if you try to shoot perfectly upright.