Modblops: Black Ops To Get Mod Tools In May

By Jim Rossignol on April 14th, 2011 at 10:38 am.

Pewpew! Dead! - No YOU!
Treyarch’s community manager Josh Olin has let slip that their PC team are aiming – as previously promised – to release mod tools for the blockbusting man shooter in May. It’ll be interesting to see how busy the mod community for this becomes. I can see multiplayer maps being a fairly popular target, but general tweaky gameplay type mods? What would the motivation be? Anyone enough of Black Ops player to see where obvious modding routes might lie?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Njordsk says:

Meh.

That’s kind of nice, but it’s too late personnaly.

2. el_Chi says:

I’d like to see a mod for single-player which removes the need for me to have to hold that pesky W key, or occasionally click my left mouse button, to move from one scripted sequence to the next with as little interaction as possible.

3. Alexander Norris says:

Hopefully, modding weapon stats will be super easy and people can finally hosts servers where the few design mistakes Treyarch’s made and not bothered fixing are fixed.

4. Giftmacher says:

For Christ’s sake, someone needs to fix those gun sounds. They are pathetic.

• d34thly says:

I already modified my games sound files so the guns all make varied noises of different farts and sneezes. I’m working on converting some .wav files so I can hear my wifes sex sounds every time I call in a kill streak. after that I’ll be importing the sound of Special Ed clapping and saying”yaaaay!” for the care package drop sound.
      obviously PickyBugger doesn’t get sarcasm and he’s never tried to edit the sound file. Hey Picky, everyone hates a troll.

• PickyBugger says:

Wow and I didn’t think my opinion of BLOPS players could get any lower. You learn something new everyday…

• BAReFOOt says:

@PickyBugger: Wait until rule 34 comes through the door. ^^

5. Cirdain says:

Great I can’t wait for more multiplayer mods…. *sarcasm*

6. wazups2x says:

It’s such a late start for mod tools. It’ll be interesting to see what comes from this.

COD4 had a great modding community but the tools were available with the release of the game.

7. MrEvilGuy says:

I’m going to make a mod about guns

8. WJonathan says:

modcodblops!

9. Kdansky says:

What’s this DLC gonna cost?

10. Lu-Tze says:

All Death Machines all the time.

11. griffin_jt says:

The current array of hats as depicted by that screen looks very unimaginative.

Hats.

12. Koozer says:

First there’ll be mods for superspeed, infinite ammo and superjump, then mods for all the Modern Warfare 1 maps.

13. sidhellfire says:

- too late
    – not interesting title for modding
    – casuals are not interested in mod development

• Delusibeta says:

Especially considering there will inevitably be a replacement released in about six months. Not nearly enough time for a modding community to start that could survive a replacement game, I think.

14. Freemon says:

How can they release decent free mod tools if they charge almost 15 euros for 5 maps?
    Will the mod tools include any sort of map making tool?
    Why should the community bother otherwise?
    Will this be a way for the community to fix the problems Treyarch never bothered to fix?

So many questions and yet… I don’t really care about the answers. Blops got really boring really fast for me.

• dux says:

One would guess that community made maps will be limited to unranked servers, and that only the official Treyarch DLC maps will be able to be played in ranked servers. So if you care about levelling up and want more maps, you’ll have to buy the DLC maps (though given that the mod tools are so late, most people will have given up or reached max rank by then anyway).

That’s the only way I can see Treyarch doing it to still keep the paid DLC selling, but TBH anything that increases the longevity of the game is a bonus since it’s so bland as it is.

15. Milky1985 says:

All i read from this is that there will be no new map packs from may.

Anyway its all too little too late imo, support it from the start/near start or not at all :/

16. B0GiE-uk- says:

Treyarch still have not fixed the stuttering in this game. Pisses me off.

17. ReV_VAdAUL says:

How is the COD4 mod community doing? If thats still going ok maybe the BLOPS modding community will do ok given it is at least the most up to date modable COD game.

18. 12kill4 says:

Wow, so many negative nancys in this comment thread.
    I can see there being a bit of modding room for more Pro-gaming focused setups, or maybe a larger variety of the gambling style gametypes (which imo were the best thing about blops mp…). Certainly there is a large enough user-base to justify blops as a mod-platform, though I guess we’ll have to wait and see what the mod tools will include as to what scope of mod will be feasible…

• Haywire says:

Did you miss the memo? All the cool kids love their Actderision Bliztirades.
      If the mod-tools address what you say they could be pretty key to spicing up lan play, since the organizers of the lans I go to have made the move from MW The First to Blops.
      P.S. Casual tournaments are awesome

19. rocketman71 says:

If I cared, I’d say too late.

Since nothing with Call of Duty in front is worth anything anymore, I’ll just say MEH.

20. Navagon says:

I guess that means no more map packs. The only reason to deny modability in the first place was to keep the price of their own DLC at an insanely high premium (which seems to have been bought by insanely high people).

Now what? They’re expecting people to fix this game for them? I’d agree with the others that logically it would seem to be too little too late. But the DLC sales for this game suggest it probably isn’t.

21. Farewell says:

The BLOPS engine seems so underwhelming, that there shouldn’t be much incentive for “serious mod teams” to invest in it. And if they were to do so, they industry would have spewed out another 2-3 CoD sequels by the time the BLOPS mod projects would start to mature – so the initially large playerbase (which I can imagine has shrunk to a tiny fraction by now) wouldn’t help much either..

22. My2CENTS says:

The only real mod that could eventually be done is just Black Cops.

frymaster says:

so you can write your own server mods but you can’t host your own server? How does that work? You pay so much a month to a company for your community/clan to have a server, then you have to pay some more for a testing server so you can work on your mod without kicking everyone off?

24. ezekiel2517 says:

Well, it might make my 60 bucks worth it.

PS: Never trust your friends when they ask you to buy a game to play with them. THEY WILL NEVER PLAY IT.

25. dethtoll says:

I legit love Call of Duty unironically and Black Ops is my favourite. But I don’t see much coming out of this; mods were never a major part of the CoD experience, even with the wailing and gnashing of teeth that followed the MW2 deal.

26. appropriate touching says:

More zombie maps! I don’t much like the rest of Blops but the zombies mode is excellent, despite deeply lacking in number and variety of maps.

27. ghiest says:

Too little too late, zombie will be the only thing people will bother to mod as Black ops has pretty much zero competitive gaming scene (in fact none have since Cod4 really). So it will be basically the same thing to mod as W@W … a.k.a pointless as a broken pencil.