Preview: Prey 2

By Alec Meer on April 18th, 2011 at 3:01 pm.

I'm sorry I'm not a portal, I'm sorry!

I’m very surprised. Good surprised, not bad surprised. Prey is not a game I feel anything about, to be completely honest. I know it has its fans, but for me it remains part of that mass of id Tech 4-based stodgy shooters which went heavy on bio-mechanical corridor-pounding gloss at the expense of play I found truly engaging, despite early-game experiments with big ideas. Prey 2? More corridors, more textbook murderous aliens, more blamblamblam, no thank you ma’am.

Except it’s not. I was not expecting a game where you spend a significant time without a gun taking up half your screen. I was not expecting an open-world game, inspired more by the likes of Red Dead Redemption and STALKER than by Quake and Call of Duty. I was not expecting a game where your interaction with funny-headed aliens is as much about making moral judgements as it is shooting them. I’m surprised.

(Click these images for larger versions, by the way)

With crushing inevitability, watching a presentation which demonstrated just how different and ambitious Prey 2 was, how determined it is to veer away from the FPS crowd, was immediately followed by sneery questions about why the first game’s Native American hero Tommy was no longer the star, and why portals were no longer involved. The same upset has been visible across the web, since the first details of the game slipped out. I have no idea, at this stage, whether Prey 2 will fulfil its lofty ambitions, but I simply cannot understand the mentality that demands a game stay the same instead of pursuing bold growth and change. Imagine how that must feel. Imagine showing your game full of ideas and creative risks and then just being told off for not repeating yourself.

I don’t care about Tommy. I’m sorry. Yeah, I’m as bored of white, male game-heroes as the next guy, but it’s pretty obvious that the switch to the ludicrously-named US Air Marshall Killian Samuels hasn’t been made as a result over cold feet about making an ethnic minority the star. It’s so the game’s free to explore different places, different concepts. Tommy will, we’re told, take a major but as-yet mysterious key role in Prey 2, but he won’t be playable. Maybe it’s a betrayal, but I’ll take a Blade Runner-inspired open world over more spirit-walking pseudo-mysticism any day.

And portals? There’s a perfectly good game about portals coming out this week. Better to also have a game about free-running bounty-hunting in a massively vertical sci-fi city instead of two portal games, thanks.

Killian Samuels, then. He’s a US AIr Marshall, who was aboard a plane back when the alien invasion of Earth in Prey 1 ocurred. The game opens with him the apparent lone survivor of the resulting crash, staggering to his feet amidst the wreckage of his plane. But he’s not on Earth. The ground is organic, pustulent. Drawing his military pistol, he wanders forward. It’s not long before he finds life, but it’s not human. It’s one of the Prey 1 aliens. Shooting ensues. You know the drill. On the run, hunted by monsters, blasting your way to freedom.

Except Samuels doesn’t find freedom. He finds a brutal punch in the face, and unconsciousness.

Years later. Samuels is working as a bounty hunter on the planet Exodus, a metropolitan hive of scum and villainy, occupied by multiple races living in relative peace, everyone finding some way to make a living. He’s not being hunted. In fact, he’s a hunter – a bounty hunter forever in search of the next paid contract.

Clearly, there are many questions. How did he get here? Why wasn’t he killed/harvested? Where are those evil aliens from Prey 1? Are there any other humans here? We’ll find out in due course, but for now it’s all about the Benjamins.

Exodus is described as ‘alien noir’, with Blade Runner a screamingly clear influence. There’s some Mass Effect in there too – multiple alien races and an air of ubiquitous criminality. The area Samuels is currently turning a buck in is the Bowery, a down-at-heel zone dominated by ne’er-do-wells. It’s the red light district, the crime lord district, the drugs district. It’s perhaps leaning towards the wrong side of dystopic sci-fi stereotype, but again – I’ll take the hovercars, vast, odd-angled skyscrapers and seedy neon over corridor-pounding any day.

When Samuels takes a contract, he’s assigned a target. How he kills or captures that target is your choice. Direct action has its merits, but if you barge into a nightclub and start spraying bullets everywhere you’re going to end up with a lot of heat – both from your target’s allies and potentially from Exodus’ security. So you could try stealth – using an Assassin’s Creed-esque parkour system to clamber over roofs and through windows. Or you could simply try threats, frightening your target into surrender or into fleeing to a less populous area. In Prey 2, you choose whether or not you hold a gun when you approach people. Maybe it’ll help. Maybe it’ll just raise hell. Your call.

A target running away is a good thing, at least as far as being a player is concerned. It results in a dramatic free-running and wall-climbing chase around Exodus, and delving into a utility belt full of absurd gadgetry. While shooting plays its part, your guns are frankly the least of your tools; anti-gravity waves, shoulder-mounted homing rockets, bolas, hover-boots and in the region of 15 further gadgets are the stars of this show. ‘Prey’ doesn’t here refer to being the hunted – it refers to being the hunter. The Predator, in fact. The inclusion of climbing, electronically-assisted vision modes and shoulder-mounted weapons is not coincidental. There’s more than a trace element of Deus Ex here too, but far more openly action-orientated. The chase is dynamic, crazed, desperate, but the gadgets means the odds are in Samuels’ favour.

(This time, at least. A later chase results in the arrival of a target’s vengeful brother, a hulking, bus-sized brute of an alien spitting firepower from every limb. For all the freeform elements, this doesn’t shy away from setpieces.)

The contract missions, some of which are scripted and story-progressing but the bulk of which are simply scanning for local opportunities, are just one way to make a living. Samuels can also look for ambient encounters, such as intervening in a scuffle and hoping for a reward from whichever alien was getting duffed up. Or he could wait for the fight to resolve itself and loot the resulting bodies. Or he could comb the city, searching its nooks and crannies for cash and for hidden missions such as trashing one cartel’s communication infrastructure.

He could even head off on a crime spree himself, mugging passers-by, extorting cash and discounts from traders and informants, or sadistically pushing civilians from the high streets to their death. This is likely to draw the attention of the floating security drones. You can take those out, but doing so may bring about harsher measures from whoever’s in charge of Exodus. While Prey 2 avoids moral judgments, a GTA-style heat system does mean that being a total bastard won’t result in an easy ride.

The moral judgements, or lack thereof, extends to the contracts themselves too. A target you’re chasing might realise the writing’s on the wall, and promise you a bigger pay packet if you let him go. That’s more money (to be spent on gadget upgrades and ammo) for you, but it might mean you’re letting a bad man go free. Or the target might claim his innocence, leaving the choice as to whether they or your employer are telling the truth to you. Everyone’s probably lying about something; question is, do you try to do the right thing or accept that the whole situation’s pretty messed up anyway and thus make the (financial) best of it?

Whether this openness of both approach and morality can sustain itself across a slew of encounters both scripted and procedural remains to be seen (for instance, at what point does interrupting a beat-down on the streets stop being atmosphere-building and become an all-too-familiar repetion?), but I’m entirely excited about the prospect of constructing my own bounty hunter/bussinessman fantasy life, and only pursuing the story missions when I’m good and ready.

STALKER as alien noir? Clearly, this is a whole lot more mainstream than that (and dodgy style stuff like aliens hissing ‘ssssson of a bittttch’ in silly reptile voices doesn’t do the atmosphere too many favours), but when a game that had the option to be just another gloosy manshoot decides to even begin treading the sandbox path, I damn well sit up and pay attention. Tommy? Portals? I really do not give a monkey’s. I’m the freelance police Predator.

Prey 2 is due for release in 2012. We’ll have an interview with the devs up later this week.

, , , , , , .

1. MadTinkerer says:

“Prey is not a game I feel anything about, to be completely honest.”

Lucky you. As I’ve mentioned before, I have extremely mixed feelings about Prey: parts of it I love, other parts I loathe. Short version: love the middle and later level designs and game mechanics, loathe the main character and his bumbling idiocy.

“I was not expecting a game where your interaction with funny-headed aliens is as much about making moral judgements as it is shooting them. I’m surprised.”

Prey went through three to five (depending how you count them) complete team changes over the course of it’s development. When I think about that for a moment, it’s not so surprising that the current team would want to take the sequel in a completely different direction. I remember one of the earlier incarnations of Prey having a few elements of this: the alien city and more experimental gadgets and weapons.

(The portals, incidentally, were in Prey from the very first incarnation. If they had actually finished and released the first incarnation on time in 1999-ish, and used portals the way the first team intended, it would have been amazing. As it was, Prey was eventually released a little before Portal and the portals ended up being little more than a visual gimmick with no real impact on gameplay. But on the positive side, the “portal technology” the Prey team bragged about inspired other tech teams to try the same thing, which didn’t result in much to speak about until the Narbacular Drop team picked up the ball and ran with it. So there’s a bit of nice serendipity for you.)

• HeavyStorm says:

“Prey is not a game I feel anything about, to be completely honest.” And then a whole paragraph saying that you think the game is “part of that mass of id Tech 4-based stodgy shooters which went heavy on bio-mechanical corridor-pounding gloss at the expense of play I found truly engaging, despite early-game experiments with big ideas.” So… maybe you do feel something about it, after all?

TheApologist says:

I didn’t mind Prey but wasn’t interested in a sequel. Until now.

• maybe an idiot says:

Same here, I only played the demo and it didn’t grab me so I never bought the game itself. This squeal though sounds very interesting.

• Pani says:

I had been skipping RPSs coverage of Prey 2 as I felt decidedly meh about Prey 1 but decided to read this piece on a whim.

If all you say is true, I’m suddenly very interested in hearing more about it.

• roryok says:

I actually bought it and played maybe three levels in, then just got so bored. And you’re right – I almost didn’t even read the article because I assumed it was more dumb corridor shootery.

Some day, someone will make a game where you must mop up a corridor after someone has butchered a load of aliens in it.

3. SprintJack says:

So no spirit in the end?

4. Teddy Leach says:

Colour me excited.

5. Ronin Jellyfish says:

This sounds amazing. I was bored to tears by Prey as it was just a generic corridor shooter imo but multiple choice open world Prey 2 is right up my alley. It is a pretty radical change of direction from the first game but as Alec says this should be praised and not look down on. I never thought I would be excited about a squel to Prey!

• MadTinkerer says:

IMO, it was a mistake to make it a generic corridor-shooter for the first part of it. Really opens up, literally, later on though. There are a few neat set-pieces in the beginning between the tedious parts, it’s just a pity the game takes so long to get really good… before the horrible let-down that is the game’s finale.

6. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Oooh, surprisingly interesting!

7. Pop says:

I can take the loss of Tommy as the main character and the lack of portals at a squeeze, but what I will not tollerate is a press release without cleavage!

The only female character looks sensibly dressed! Do these people have no respect for the roots and traditions of this great hobby?

8. groovychainsaw says:

I quite liked Prey as I thought it was offering a few things a bit different to other shooters at the time. The portals, gravity puzzles, spirit walking stuff at least stopped it being quite as repetitive its rivals. I enjoyed it and its one of few shooters I completed in recent times. It wasn’t ‘the greatest shooter of all time!’ but it’s hard not to look at this sequel and see it as a little less innovative. Open worlds themselves are not innovative anymore and its a big risk trying a first person climbing game without coming up with controls at least as good as mirror’s edge, which wasn’t open world and signposted what you could or couldn’t do very clearly (although actually – have they gone to third person? – that might make more sense given the skills mentioned).

If they wanted to do something so different, they maybe should have gone with a new title. It wasn’t like Prey was a massive hit and the comparisons will only tend to be a bit unfavourable form people who liked the first. People who didn’t will just avoid the sequel.

Plot sounds interesting though, so maybe development of that will start to make it come together a bit better. I’m not necessarily against the idea (If it turns out to be deux ex meets GTA, as referenced, I will eat my hat. Maybe with sauce) but I can see why people would be a bit surprised by the direction for a sequel. There were some things to like in the original, for me.

• Archonsod says:

“People who didn’t will just avoid the sequel.”

I didn’t like the first and yet this appeals to me. Possibly because it suggests the sequel will have none of the things which turned me off the first.

Of course, I could be being crazy here.

9. Web Cole says:

I’m with Alec on this one, sounds interesting.

10. DrGonzo says:

Sounds interesting. I imagine people asking about Tommy and portals is simply because they were pretty much the only interesting aspects of the original. And it is initially worrying to hear they are abandoning the best bits of the first game.

But on closer inspection this looks far more promising than the original.

11. Zyrxil says:

Holy crap, I came in expecting nothing, and now Prey 2 is on my Extremely Anticipated list.

• Wilson says:

Same here! I enjoyed Prey 1, but I don’t think I would have bought a sequel if it had just been more of the same. This sounds like it could be really good.

• Guerr3ro says:

Indeed. I thought Prey was in some ways an excellent game and in other ways a horrible game, and I wouldn’t have been interested in a direct sequel either (especially not with the spess muhreen theme most people including me were suspecting). But a sandbox bounty hunter slash hired assassin simulator? Sounds like GOTY material.

12. SuperNashwanPower says:

Looks really good, though George Lucas might be getting out his plagiarism stick and beating ID over the head for some of those alien designs.

Very much looking forward to seeing this when it comes out, love a bit of open worldey space opera.

• DrGonzo says:

Ralph McQuarrie may get annoyed by this, but it doesn’t look anything like George Lucas’ work to be honest.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I was thinking about the green girl alien’s ‘scarf’ tentacle, looking a bit like Jabba’s concierge guy having the same thing – the guy that Luke uses a mind trick on in ROTJ. Also those furry things behind her with the multiple eyes – there are some creatures somewhere in the movies that look exactly like that. I know, vague. If only I was more of a SW nerd I could tell you exactly which characters I am talking about and where they appear. Its not a direct rip, but there are some central features that look … ‘borrowed’

cqdemal says:

Totally not what I expected to read. *adds game to watch list*

14. Basilicus says:

I enjoyed Prey as a B-grade action game, the same way one might look at a middling Schwarzenegger movie – reliable stuff, even if it doesn’t make you sit on the edge of your seat.

I’m very glad they’re going in a different direction, but are still finding a way to involve the mythos.

Wouldn’t it be awesome if Tommy was a target who you just couldn’t kill because he keeps coming back to life?

• MadTinkerer says:

Considering that he’s pretty much the epitome of “douchebag” in the first game, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a face/heel turn with Tommy in the sequel at some point. On the other hand, considering how desperately the writers seemed to want me to like the idiot and make him into a Destined Hero despite his contrary temperament, they might go in the opposite direction. If they do make him an ally, they better make him tolerable this time around. If they make him an antagonist, though, I think that’s even more appropriate.

(EDIT: SPOILERS!!!!!! Incidentally, he’s literally given a “Please join the dark side, and if you kill me you’ll actually be turning to the dark side anyway” style offer at the end of the first game. And he actually takes the offer, sort of, but uses the power in a non-selfish way for the first time in the whole game. It almost redeems the character, except the writers make his sacrifice redundant with a deus ex machina and throw in a cliffhanger in the epilogue. But the bottom line is: Tommy totally works as an Anakin Skywalker type in the first game, and I think he’d make a great Darth Vader type in the second.)

15. jplayer01 says:

So this is everything Prey was not? Count me in. This sounds awesome.

16. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Might actually bother to pick this one up; I watched a friend play Prey 1 and had a bit of a go myself, and when I got to the bit where the thing stabs that person that is supposed to be related/connected to you I was like ‘meh’ give me le CSS back pls – And actually the resulting was far more interesting and involving.

• DrGonzo says:

I actually really enjoyed the opening of Prey 1, unfortunately it got steadily worse as the game went on. But the first hour or so was pretty good.

• MadTinkerer says:

Ouch. It does get better (before taking a nose-dive at the very end). The bits where you get to fly a shuttlecraft around are sublime. But I do understand why you wouldn’t want to slog through the repetitive corridor-shooty-parts.

17. ChaosSmurf says:

Sounds quite ridiculously good. I enjoyed the original, but as nothing more than an entertaining blaster with pretty graphics and a couple of interesting mechanics. Assassin’s Creed FPS set in Omega? Yes please.

Colthor says:

Wow. That just went from “So why even bother?” to “actually quite exciting”. Bravo!

Glad I didn’t skip the post to go and read about Skyrim.

Petethegoat says:

My thoughts precisely! I am absurdly excited about this. I’m sure I’ll be disappointed, but by god this sounds incredible.

19. Urael says:

“…Blade Runner-inspired open world…”

Sold. Right there, that’s me on board for a guaranteed purchase. I dream screenshots like those above. This also means that to avoid spoiling any more of it I now have to avoid every mention of it, with perhaps a cursory glance at the Wot I Think and subsequent comments to avoid any performance traps.

20. MrMud says:

Sounds pretty awesome to me

21. gulag says:

The first game may come to define the concept of a ‘mixed bag’. Prey 1 tried really hard to explore some of the lessons the Half-life games had been laying out in the preceeding years. It’s not hard to see how it’s long development time was influenced by both titles.

Shifts in size, orientation and gravity were interesting concepts, barely given the proper space and time to explore their potential, which is a pity, as it often felt like the devs were itching to break out of the confines of a so-so sci-fi shooter and bend the players mind with a grander set of themes and experiences.

It had some interesting story elements as well. The Native American spirituality was a bit clumsy, but the occasional interjections of the earth-bound conspiracy talkshow DJ was oddly affecting. It kept reminding me that despite the utter alien-ness of the surroundings, home wasn’t so far away (the entire game takes place on a ship in orbit around Earth) and escape was still possible.

Actually, the environments are worth noting. Not the topsy-turvy ‘OMG the floor is now the ceiling’ stuff, but rather the complete lack of compromise on the part of the level designers in terms of accessability. Learning what was safe to touch and what would cause you grief was a matter of trial and error early on. I remember being genuinely suprised by figuring out that what I was looking at was a door button. No highlighting, no common frame of reference employed. It was either a fantastic oversight by the designers or a genius bit of scene setting. You’re an abductee on an alien ship, of course you don’t have a clue what the sign for the toilets looks like.

And after all that, I still wouldn’t recommend it to a friend, or sing it’s praises as a game. It just didn’t grab me.

Prey 2 looks like it bears watching.

22. nuh uh no way says:

23. Scilantius says:

Wow. Just,… wow. That sounds absolutely and completely unbelievable – a developer taking a corridor FPS and turning it into something new and as interesting as this? Awesome. Absolutely awesome. I sincerely hope they do this right, it certianly has promise. I will make sure to keep a close eye on this one!

24. kikito says:

I’m also surprised. I hope it doesn’t end on a missed opportunity.

25. Bhazor says:

“With crushing inevitability, watching a presentation which demonstrated just how different and ambitious Prey 2 was, how determined it is to veer away from the FPS crowd, was immediately followed by sneery questions about why the first game’s Native American hero Tommy was no longer the star, and why portals were no longer involved.”
    Mind the strawman there Alec.
    The first game ended on a cliffhanger involving the main character specifically, a character who was far better characterised than most shooters and who was given an actual development arc. A guy who changed over the course of the game. A cheesy arc sure but still an almost unheard of level of sophistication for a shooter.

Secondly how would you feel if Half Life 2 scrapped the gravity gun half way through? The portals were a key part of the original game, the most memorable part in fact. Certainly the most iconic

But no. People disapointed by these changes just hate new ideas. Thanks for that Alec.

• MadTinkerer says:

Rather than argue your points, I’ll just say that it’s nice to see that someone enjoyed the parts of the game I hated/didn’t care for.

Well okay, I have this to nitpick: the way the portals were implemented in the final game were disappointing compared to how the team originally conceived them. There’s old footage of a portal grenade weapon which would have been beating Portal to the idea by five years if they had actually finished the original version of the game instead of perpetually having entire teams quit and scrapping entire engines (remember: the game was originally conceived as a rival to Quake 1, not Doom 3).

I think a big reason why there’s such a huge difference between the early and later levels was because the earlier levels were more how the earlier teams envisioned the game (and if they didn’t include those parts, they might as well not call it Prey, really), and the later levels were the final team just going nuts with what was possible.

• ResonanceCascade says:

The portals seemed mostly cosmetic to me in Prey, with a few minor exceptions. I don’t think they impacted the gameplay nearly as much as the gravity gun.

I am disappointed about not playing as Tommy, but if he really is still a major part of the game, I can let that one slide.

Considering all the cool, new things this game is adding to the series, I’m calling fair trade.

• Bhazor says:

Reply to ResonanceCascade

I agree the game sounds like it could be great. My problem was with Alec’s “If you complain about an aspect of the game then you hate new things” attitude. A strawman I see all the time and it really annoys me especially when it’s from a journalist.

drewski says:

I wouldn’t care if they’d dropped the gravity gun in HL2 at all. HL2 is not about the gravity gun. The gravity gun is, however, pretty awesome, so clearly it would have to be replaced with someone equally as pretty awesome.

Which Prey 2 seems to be aiming to do.

26. Greg Wild says:

Aside from playing as Biff Machogruff, this is looking more and more promising.

27. Spliter says:

Actually for me prey 1 was a lot more about how twisted you could make the world with changing gravities, planetoids etc, than it ever was about portals.

Still I’m kinda disappointed. Instead of fps with more twisted world mechanics , running along different gravities etc, we get a Mass Effect.
    I liked prey 1 enough to want to see more of it but can’t say many bad things about a game that I haven’t played, though so far it looks like be playing this at all.

28. Jesse L says:

Sounds like it shouldn’t be titled Prey 2. “Prey 2″, in my mind, reads like “may be better or worse than mediocre.” It doesn’t sound anything like “freeform alien bounty hunter,” which is one of everyone’s top ten imaginary games, even if they haven’t realized it yet.

29. StingingVelvet says:

LOOKS AMAZING.

They should have just made a new IP though. I mean they basically already did, they’re just labeling it an old one. I don’t buy into the idea that any established IP is better for sales than a new one.

30. Jorum says:

As a few people have said I’m not sure why they’ve decided to tag this Prey 2.

This game doesn’t seem to have much to do with the first game anyway. Given the plot of Prey wasn’t anything special anyway I’m sure an alternative (and better) backstory and narrative world could be knocked up.

And while Prey was quite big at the time it doesn’t carry much weight at all now for marketing purposes.
    Unless the idea was to get attention and coverage by people talking about how surprising and not-anything-like-prey it is. In which case it’s clever meta-marketing and kind of working.

31. _Jackalope_ says:

OK I was one of those not liking the idea of Prey 2, I loved the original, but this does look very promising. I don’t think it warrants a new IP if they intend on using the original game as a kind of lore. If i really does follow on the story of Prey then they are trying something a bit different and I like that.

32. Benjamin L. says:

This looks very interesting. I say anybody, journalist or fan, who complains about the vastly different approach should probably get kicked in the face.

Not a COD clone? Blade Runner? Open? STALKER? PREY CONTINUE.

• Thants says:

Anything that sounds even remotely similar to Deus Ex should be encouraged.

33. Tim James says:

Jeez, that’s a lot of defensiveness, Alec. It’s weird how people work in an industry full of nerd raging customers and then get so militant about it. Do you loathe what you do? Ignore the sneers and just put the information out there without stabbing people in the back. Some will continue to whine but others might have genuinely cared about the stuff that developers and games journalists love to mock these days. In any case, they’ll come around eventually if there’s good reason for it.

Regarding the preview, I think talking it up like STALKER is a stretch. It sounds like a box-stock GTA-style open world game. But so few of them are first person (it IS first person, right?) that I’ll take what I can get.

34. Basilicus says:

Less bipeds, pls.

El_MUERkO says:

As long as the weapons don’t feel like peashooters and there’s lot’s of gritty blood and gore!

36. pagad says:

It sounds like the dev team wanted to do an entirely different game but were forced into doing a Prey sequel.

• TheSquarePear says:

Management calls the shots :(

I’m kind of surprised Prey was a strong enough IP to get a sequel. I guess we can get a good game anyways.

37. Namos says:

Judging by the script, the aliens speak some sort of weird reverse Japanese. Alien yakuza, here we go…

• Voxel_Music_Man says:

I know!
      Super lazy on the ‘let’s invent an alien language’ front. Let’s just get katakana and flip it vertically, and add an extra line here are there. They didn’t even bother to change ポ or オ!

38. Eukatheude says:

I actually liked the first one a lot, aside from the flying thingy sections.

39. Kotti says:

I’m okay with taking the series into a new direction but why would they remove everything that made Prey what it was? When the first info on P2 came out the games was compared to Mass Effect, Mirror’s Edge and a ton of other games. Prey 1 was only used as an example of what Prey 2 isn’t.

40. TheSquarePear says:

#4 pic: I’d hit it :P

In all seriousness it looks and sounds like Mass Effect done right.

Hey Alec.
    Not much articles from you lately. RPS>Twitter
    I like how you try and describe the gameplay of the game but could you do it without namedropping like crazy? What if people haven’t played AssCreed/GTA or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

Just throwing out my stinky opinion :P

Napalm Sushi says:

One of the areas where my immersion in Mass Effect faltered was in the urban zones, where it became painfully clear how much everything (including the fittings of a supposedly seedy underworld bar) looked like the product of some giant, bland, faceless politburo.

The vibe of the urban areas here, on the other hand, reminds me much of the Designers Republic inspired old school Wipeout-verse (as also seen in G-Police), with moody, lived-in undertones setting off colourful adverts scrambling for dominance.

So yeah, consider my interest captured.

• Dhatz says:

ME is too startreky as opposed to realistic scifi as GITS, Cowboy Bebop, Transmetropolitan or Gemini Rue. One thing i dont hate about ME graphics: it has colors, even the guns and ships have actual colors like red on em. not just all grey and brown and orange(but then many areas are GoWnotonous).

41. deejayem says:

Aw, poor Prey – everyone always shouts at it, but it only wants to make you happy. Characterful, I’d call it – OTT, pulpy, definitely not just another bland corridor shooter. I really enjoyed it – it got right to the silly-but-fun section of my brain.

That said, this does look pretty smart.

42. woodsey says:

Couldn’t give a crap about Prey.

This, though? Please, PLEASE be good.

43. lazysuperhero says:

Goin with the theme on here, Yes Prey 1 was a flawed game, loved bits hated other. And i couldn’t give a toss about recent news of a second Prey. After this though, i am excited. Let’s hope we actually get something comprehensive and solid. Not a nod to all the things you COULD do, a hint at an open world then all we’d get is a restricted, simplified and incomplete game at aims tried to tick a lot of cool boxes without actually delivering.

Here’s hoping, and bring it on…

44. Nihilille says:

Got me some Stranger’s Wrath vibes reading that, and that’s gooood.

45. megazver says:

Okay, I want some of this. Yes.

46. thinsoldier says:

I hope the game is good and I’ve never played Prey 1. But it’s really annoying and kinda stupid for a game to be sooo different from it’s predecessor.

They developers and Prey 1 fans would have been better off if this was an entirely new game with a new name.

Now they’re just going to have Prey 1 fanboys badmouthing the game nonstop with good reason. And anyone who likes Prey 2 enough to check out Prey 1 afterwards might be very disappointed for all the wrong reasons.

…For some reason these screenshots are making me expect a hell of a lot more out of Mass Effect 3.

47. vodka and cookies says:

I quite liked Prey 1 and Tommy’s constant WTF throughout the game but this looks great too so I’m not complaining.

48. ResonanceCascade says:

I liked Prey well enough. Thought it was a fun, old school shooter. This, on the other hand, looks AWESOME.

49. thenagus says:

Never had any interest in Prey 1, but this looks fab!

50. Comrade Communist says:

On one hand, the first part Prey had good atmosphere with all those organic-tech stuff and portals, so the second part seems to have much poorer design. On the other hand, the gameplay promises to be great, so I don’t really know what to wait from this game…