Soldier’s Pings: Red River Dev Diary #3

By Quintin Smith on April 18th, 2011 at 4:57 pm.

He is loading an egg into his gun. It is a practical yolk.

Oof! I was all set to make fun of Codemasters for releasing yet another Operation Flashpoint: Red River video from their curiously dilapidated offices, but I’ve just found out that Red River is coming out in Europe this very Thursday. Why would you want to buy it? First and foremost for its explosions, but also for its focus on four player co-op, and that’s what this latest developer diary covers. I had quite a bit of fun playing the very multiplayer modes they’re talking about.

Never mind the fact that they spend two whole minutes talking around the idea of drop-in, drop-out co-op. Look how pretty it is! Shame the areas at so much smaller than the original Operation Flashpoint or Arma II. I’d love to hijack a motorbike and go exploring.

Oh, you can also ignore the release date at the end. That’s for America. Unless you live in America. In which case do not ignore the release date at the end. Unless you don’t care.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. SuperNashwanPower says:

Removed because I realised all I needed to do was actually READ the article. D’oh

2. PleasingFungus says:

Quintin, that alt-text pun.

Ugh.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Egg launchers rock. Nothing annoys a chinese soldier more than egg on a freshly pressed uniform. Whilst they are busy trying to find a bit of cloth to wipe it away, BAM.

Disorientation egg. By Lockheed Martin.

• westyfield says:

Punishing.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

We are presuming its a grenade. That could actually just be the unique OF:RR lip balm applicator, included for survivalist realism.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I think you mean lipstick. ‘Cause we all know one of the main elements of attack is the element of surprise, and so what could be more surprising than the 1st Battalion Transvestite Brigade?

3. Giaddon says:

Man, taking a month and a half to get the game to other side of the Atlantic seems excessive.

Richard Beer says:

Seriously, these devs are cool as the proverbial cucumbers. That guy is sitting next to a massive pile of guns and he’s not even looking at them or trying to shoot them!

5. Felixader says:

“Kicking some ass…” “the thinking man’s shooter….” aaarrrgh!

This Btw is more a statement about the PR than the game wich i didn’t play at all or know really much about besides what PR has told me.

• Brumisator says:

Hell, Crysis 2 is called “the thinking man’s shooter” by …ahem…major publications.

At least OP FLASH even in its current state is still a tactical shooter.

6. Rii says:

Nice try with the abandoned mosque or whatever, Codemasters, but you’re still office drones fighting over fridge space when not talking tough about ‘killing insurgents’.

7. mkultra says:

If these guys try any harder I may have to hurt myself.

8. Bilbo says:

This looks like… agh. All the worst stuff about the OpFlash lineage, with none of the good stuff. None of the visual fidelity the games it’s trying to copy sport, and none of the depth the games it’s ripping its name from aspire to. It must be really depressing to work on. When you aren’t being bussed out to moody locations to film silly previews, that is. No wait, that’s just as depressing.

• DrGonzo says:

Co op in the first game was good fun, though the single player was incredibly dull. The same could be said of Arma 2 though to be fair.

I disagree about the graphics though, the first is a very pretty game and this one looks nice too. Most importantly it looks good and runs very smoothly on a modest rig, unlike Arma 2.

Also, this game seems to be coming more from Ghost Recon than Op Flash. If you can ignore the branding ( which ultimately means nothing anyway) and play it thinking of it in that sense, it’s really quite fun.

It is at least definitely not the brand rape that people make it out to be sometimes.

• Bilbo says:

We disagree pretty thoroughly. It’s passable, but not “very pretty”, and 4-player Co-Op is a joke compared to the massive multiplayer affairs offered by the OpFlash franchise historically. OpFlash is a great brand, and was built around a great mission editor and large-scale multiplayer- something Codemasters are completely denying. Personally, I’ve had an easier time running Arma 2 than I have running the last Codemasters Flashpoint game, although that will probably be more down to some nuance of my hardware than an overarching problem. Besides, when you’re delivering so little in terms of gameplay, you’d damn well better make it run vaguely stably.

It’s a mediocre example of really lazy design, something that I can’t really picture anyone wanting to play (gun-nuts will prefer Call of Duty, sim-nuts will prefer Arma, and that’s pretty much the end of that), *and* it’s usurping the OpFlash name, a fact which while I appreciate that you find meaningless, means a lot more to some.

• DrGonzo says:

I have no idea how Arma could possibly run better than Flashpoint. Arma 2 undoubtedly looks better maxed out. However on my Pc, a dual core with a 4850, it looks a bit pants and runs quite poo. I could run Flashpoint maxed out and it was an attractive game, although it does seem to have a weird field of view I could never quite get my head around. It goes for polish and accessibility where Arma goes for depth and buggyness.

I do much prefer Arma 2. But Flashpoint is far more accessible, its possible to play it with my casual gaming friends that would never try Arma 2. And I think it’s quite unfair to say it’s lazy design, just quite unambitious.

• Bilbo says:

I don’t know how it works either, but them’s the brakes. Like I said, I’m sure it’s just a nuance of my system.

I’d counter that while calling it lazy is pretty fair – coding guns wot shoot bullets isn’t rocket science, and it doesn’t really bring much else to the table – saying that Arma “goes for buggyness” is quite obviously unfair. The bugs are a side effect of a more complex game and a smaller budget. Incidentally, both factors that play into the name issue that you were so quick to dismiss – the name Flashpoint is both synonymous with a deep game and a brand that can be leveraged for a bigger budget. Codemasters have chosen to abandon the former but reap the latter.

Accessibility’s great, casual gaming is great, but Operation Flashpoint was never intended to be a bastion of accessibility and casual gaming and Codemasters are basically wagering OUR way of life for console cashishe. They’re perfectly entitled to do so, but I don’t have to like it. Add a feature or two, make it look like you’re at least trying, rather than just dirtying the name of a slice of gaming history with your derivative pack-following shooting-men-in-the-face-game for cynical profit.

• utzel says:

“I disagree about the graphics though, the first is a very pretty game […]” if released ca 2005.
      That’s one of the reasons it runs so much better ;)

And the new one really does look better, not only because it has got more than two colours.

9. julianbenson says:

The Codemaster’s studio is a warehouse? Damp must play merry hell with their computers, can’t imagine how many dehumidifiers they have servicing a set up like that

10. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Gosh it’s strange having high scores and Operation Flashpoint in the same sentence. Anyway, for what it is, there is potential even if Dragon Rising was a crushing shame. I guess in console space there’s a whole lot more glowy potential than here.

11. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. says:

I was so disappointed in Dragon Rising… I regret paying full price for it.

Hopefully they can redeem themselves with this (if not, I always have ArmA II)

12. HeavyHarris says:

Wait, I don’t understand, are you guys really getting this game over a month early? Why is that?