This Red Faction Armageddon Trailer Is Dark

By Quintin Smith on April 18th, 2011 at 9:39 am.

Ooh, you're a good-looking alien! What a good alien. Coochy coo!

By “dark” I don’t mean the protagonist is stumbling around with more inner turmoil than a tumble drier, or that the callous spectre of death threatens to snatch down and kill any character at any time. Not that kind of dark. No, I mean that you just can’t see what on Earth is going on. Hardly ideal footage for people like me, who were disappointed to find out the next Red Faction game would be swapping out Guerrilla’s open world for the caves beneath Mars, and your human opponents for aliens. Take a look for yourself and see what you think.

This footage is of the game’s Infestation multiplayer mode, Red Faction: Armageddon’s take on Horde mode, which is fast becoming a mandatory feature for shooters. Successive waves of spiky aliens show up, and you and your pals have got to dispatch them.

Speaking of design elements borrowed from Epic games, isn’t that the lash from Bulletstorm you can see the soldiers using in the video? Strange times.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Squishpoke says:

Looks like Dead Space multiplayer, except dialed up to 11.

However, I’d rather have Red Faction: Guerrilla, which was a truly brilliant game.

2. Acorino says:

s true, very dark, and irritating to watch. Wonder how it plays…

• RaytraceRat says:

it will be something like this:
      - you cant see anything…
      - still nothing…
      - wait, I think I saw something!
      - BAM! Bright flash!
      - you cant see anything
      - you’re dead
      - respawn.

3. Spider Jerusalem says:

I’m right tired of shooting aliens, really.

4. Dawngreeter says:

Why do action games always have to be about armed conflict, really.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

It’s high time an action game focused on the violent back and forth of a good verbal joust.

Take some notes from Dumas, game developers. Learn the force of a conversational thrust.

• Vague-rant says:

Because without arms they wouldn’t be able to hold the guns. Duh.

• kikito says:

SalesForce – The action-game!

* Assemble a team of capable and unscrupulous individuals!
      * Accomplish fierce contractual re-negotiations!
      * Stealth Mode! Evade taxes and bribe government officials!
      * Hostilely takeover the enemy corporations! Or litigate them into nothingness!

All this and much more in SalesForce – The action-game!

• Felixader says:

@Kikizo: I thougth that was EVE Online?

5. DanPryce says:

Did they film that on a mobile or something? Crikey. Imma boot up Guerilla, it’s that off-putting.

After I play Portal 2.

After I play Portal 2 twice.

6. Olero says:

Anyone else that get’s nauseated by this trailer? Or is it merely because it’s monday that I’m more vurnerable to this kind of sickness?

More on the topic; Not really impressed by this video, the massive ammount of aliens kind of kills tension that I find more suitable for those dark corridors (alien vs. predator style. The game, not the movie). And I really don’t like the glowing, highlighting of aliens.

7. AndrewC says:

You know how people, like, bitch about how even the most vaguely interesting idea gets squished and homogenised into the format of whatever’s most popular and, like, these people sound really bitchy and boring and will probably use words like ‘consoletard’ in their next sentence?
    And then games like this turn up and prove their point with almost supernatural precision? Whether it’s RF:A with GoW, or MoH with CoD, these games are proving the horrible grumpy sods right, and that is a very bad thing.

• tomeoftom says:

Sorry for the swears, but this kind of thing is just so deeply depressing. Especially because you just /know/ there must be plenty of people in the Volition offices working their arses off who genuinely want to make something fantastic; something to be proud of, and then they get to work on this clump of chewed-up and sodden grass for the next two years.

I prefer to just yell ‘WHERE THE FUCK HAS OUR IMAGINATION GONE’ and move on.

The only way to take this news well is if you listen to as you read.

• Felixader says:

You know what really made me say no to this game in advance?
      It wasn’t the fact that the Open World is gone (althougth it’s one off puting fact). It also wasn’t the fact that the characters are designed after the “what-do-other-succesfull-shooters-have” and the “We needs tits/cleavage no matter what” – checklist.

No the most fucking offputting is that you AGAIN have to figth a Flood/HiveMind/Insect State/”i-jump-in-your-face-cause-making-real-challenging-AI-is-hard-and-we-are-cheap” – enemy.
      And to top it off: i am pretty shure that at some point in the game we will learn that these are the marauders that were the followers of the dictator in the first game wich were the religious leftovers in Red Faction Guerilla, changed by another Nanosmith.

8. Maykael says:

Good morning, RPS!

9. Vague-rant says:

Destructible environments underground seems a bit silly when everything except the earth is destructible. I guess they’ll come up with some (not so) perfect explanation as to why people built impressive (impractical) structures (explodey things) underground (lack of skybox).

• noodlecake says:

I’m sure in an old red faction game the earth was destructible, it was just everything else that you couldn’t break

10. jplayer01 says:

Hmmm. Wish I could forget all about this trailer by playing some Portal 2. Damn it, Valve.

11. feffrey says:

What little hope I had for this game is now irrevocable gone.

12. GenBanks says:

red faction games should be about destructibility and amusing deaths you can inflict on clueless goons as a result.
    not claustrophobia and aliens :(

13. addorian85 says:

This is too dark. I like those games where I can actually see me enemies die, explode, disintegrate, loose consciousness and then die, drawn towards my direction and kicked into pieces.

14. Teddy Leach says:

Is it just me, or was the frame rate not good at all? It didn’t look terribly smooth.

15. Thule says:

It’s kinda sad they’re following up with this, because I think they really found a niche for Red Faction with Guerrilla. The sequel’s looking like just another shoot-monsters-in-tunnels-game.

16. Muzman says:

It’s Left4RedStormMonsterMash!

17. Koozer says:

The shooting things parts were the least enjoyable bits of Guerilla. EDIT: oh, second least next to the game’s clock inexplicably running twice as fast on PC, meaning those timed driving missions were literally impossible.

What a shame.

18. kharnevil says:

I really liked Guerilla, sorry. Why would you swap outside mars-y bits for inside caves? How do I know I’m on mars if not for the red rock?

19. SuperNashwan says:

How to make texture artists cry.

20. Felixader says:

This is one of the worst kind of hoard modes.

You can’t see shit.
    There is no real teamplay.
    No real strategy needed or (as it looks like) possible.
    All you have to do is to aimlessly shoot around.
    All you seem to CAN do is running and gun around aimlessly.
    Doesn’t help that the enemys cause this behavior by not beeing much more than your typical “in your face!” creeps.

21. oliverh72 says:

Wow, this just looks like crap. Really, really hard to see crap.

22. JohnnyMaverik says:

…oh dear =/

Glad I wasn’t remotely interested in this one to start with.

23. LintMan says:

Wow flashy lights.

Man, to me this looks like the player character was superimposed in front of a video screen showing the action, like you’re watching someone play an old arcade FMV shooter.

Totally disappointing after the open world of RF:G.

Comment on this story