THQ Registers “Metro 2033: Last Light”

By Quintin Smith on April 18th, 2011 at 2:04 pm.

After the fifteenth casualty, Gregor's clan abandoned their pastime of Plasma Dodgeball

This story’s about as flimsy as a wet paper bag full of knives, but let’s soldier on. Joystiq note that THQ have registered a domain by the name of “Metro 2033 Last Light”, which could very well be the name of the forthcoming Metro 2033 sequel. …yeah. That’s all I’ve got. Who’s excited? I’m excited.

If Metro 2033 passed you by, it was an atmospheric FPS (a toxic, unbreathable atmoshpere, specifically) set in a post-apocalyptic rendering of Moscow’s subway system, full of shadows and mutants and terror and all that good stuff. Alec got along well with it, and you can watch the launch trailer after the jump. It’s more than a year old now but still every bit as impressive.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Petethegoat says:

Metro 2033 was actually really great. My favourite FPS of last year, definitely.
    Not that there was much competition last year. :P

• Diziet Sma says:

I really enjoyed it too. I was put off from buying it originally due to it’s pure corridor shooter appearance, then ended up buying it in a sale. The design alone lifts it above a lot of other, even more open, shooters. The atmosphere is also incredibly well realised. Very very enjoyable all in all.

• Petethegoat says:

Oh blast. Now I want to play it again. :/
      Downloading on Steam!

• Kaira- says:

I also enjoyed it greatly, even though I played it on a console toy. My review. It had lots of flaws and problems, but on the other hand, the atmosphere was just so thick that it could’ve been cut with a knife. Especially that part when you ride at the bottom of handcar (if my translator didn’t let me down, that’s the correct word).

• Orija says:

Metro 2033 is how linear shooters should be made. A fantastic game with an abnormally good, moving story for an fps, it is one of my favorites of 2010. Anyone who hasn’t played this gem, please do.

• woodsey says:

Agreed, its really great.

I’d recommend playing it on the Ranger pack difficulties though, as they fix the rather flimsy shooting (by giving you less ammo, but its more powerful).

• Petethegoat says:

Oh yes, I’d definitely recommend Ranger, makes everything much more interesting.

• edit says:

“Had a lot of “jeeze I’m gonna take a break after that” moments with it.” – Ditto. After my initial few hours playing, I could only play it in short bursts. The checkpoint saving had a lot to do with it.

It was a good shooter for sure, really nice atmosphere, decent stealth sections.. but there were aspects which seemed a bit backwards as well. To me it highlighted how much less immersive disconnected levels are than HL-style continuous ones, how much I dislike being propelled down a linear path, how much I DETEST having to escort\protect clueless NPCs, how arbitrarily limiting checkpoint saving is.. The enemies were pretty one-dimensional, too, being either an ‘it’s coming right for us’ monster (bleh) or an armed and highly accurate human (which I found more enjoyable but hardly original).

I enjoyed it but I have no desire to replay it. I’ll only be interested in a sequel if it outgrows its roots a little. The idea of Stalker 2 gets me going much more than a sequel to 2033.

• Cael says:

To be honest I liked it more than HL2, it’s my favorite corridor shooter of all time.

• Eric the Designer says:

My first Direct X11 game. The atmosphere is breathtaking. I love this game. The detail is phenomenal. Makes my spine tingle. Can’t believe I waited this long to get it.

2. ZIGS says:

Loved Metro 2033, hope the next one won’t follow the latest trend and introduce multiplayer

3. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I thought they were adapting Metro 2034 (the sequel to the first book). But with nothing more than domain names to go on, there seems to be little enough even for idle speculation. I’m definitely interested in whatever comes out of 4A next, whatever it’s called.

There’s also a companion book due out soon, Metro 2033: Britannia, written by Grant McMaster, set in (I presume) the London Underground. I wonder if THQ/4A will pick that one up too?

4. Juiceman says:

I liked Metro 2033 a lot, but I think it would have been a better game if it was more open world; or in this case closed world. The book presented so many more places, interstation politics and interesting characters, it is a shame how much was left out.

5. Joshua says:

Metro 2033 was the best anti-violence violent game I have ever played. And also the best corridor shooter.

• Orija says:

All this love Metro 2033 is getting here, at RPS, makes me wanna cry. Everyone needs to play this one.

• McDan says:

Everyone does need to play this game, it’s amazing. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve replayed it. Even though it’s nearly always the same, I still replay it, it’s that good.

• Archonsod says:

I loved it, and I hate corridor shooters.

6. dethtoll says:

I gave up on Metro 2033- picked it up in a Steam sale for cheapies, hopped in shortly after, ended up quitting after being terminally stuck in the middle of fucking World War 2 with flashlights.

Not that I didn’t like it, but I think I ended up ragequitting. I feel like it was a bad time for me to play that game or something like that- I couldn’t -quite- get into it, and the War chapter pushed me out entirely. I’m going back to it, but probably not until it starts getting cold. Metro 2033 is a very November kind of game, I feel.

7. The Pink Ninja says:

I haven’t finished it so maybe it turns to crap in the middle but I felt Metro was one of the best games of last year and that more of a fuss should have been made of it. Like everyone said, it had a ton of atmosphere and just didn’t feel like any other shooter I’ve played.

I don’t think it even got on the game advent calendar, which is a shame.

8. Spoon says:

Here’s hoping the next one doesn’t have such bad stealth mechanics, or at least ditches the checkpoints for a proper save system.

9. Corrupt_Tiki says:

I bought the game, as it looks really really good, and quite unique, but, I think it may be too scary for me :< I couldn't play Doom 3 properly because my paranoid mind just went bonkers with all the sounds/noises, and things spawning behind you every 2 seconds didn't help. STALKER's underground sections were bad enough.. jeepers.

So, my Metro 2033 copy is gathering dust, I haven't even warmed the CD up in my drive yet :<

10. mwoody says:

I’ve talked to friends who’ve played it, I’ve read forums, I’ve searched FAQs, I’ve asked questions – and still, I’ve never found anyone who understood the way the filters worked in Metro 2033. People think they know, but are usually wrong. Both me and my brother, both of us longtime gamers playing very carefully with full prior knowledge of the potential pitfalls of running out of filters in the endgame before we even started playing, and both of us playing on Ranger – Easy, both of us ran out of filters a couple levels before the end. Just BAM, 0 time left, “sucks to be you, go play another game.” We’ve neither of us seen the ending.

I never dilly-dallied in an outside area, searched every inch of non-filter areas, spent every dime I had buying out every filter in the early areas where they were up for sale – still nothing. It’s the worst piece of game design I’ve seen since Oblivion’s “oops you leveled lockpicking too much in the early game, now bandits are 10 levels stronger than you.”

Anyway, fix that bullshit and we’re golden, Metro. You’re still the less ambitious little brother of STALKER, but you’re amusing nonetheless.

• Kaira- says:

Hm, strange, I only once ran out of filters, and that was around middle-game while I wandered too long around every place. And I only changed them when the breathing started to sound really painful/gasping.

• Petethegoat says:

Yep, never had any problems running out of filters. Had a couple of close calls, but nothing like you describe. Were you taking them off corpses?

• suibhne says:

I didn’t end up hitting a dead-end, but I did die multiple times due to running out of filters – forcing me to replay several levels from the beginning. (I was playing on Ranger, which I hear diminishes the filter supplies.) The problem with the filter mechanic is that there’s only one feasible response to running out of them: replay the level, but more efficiently. Some levels, like the Library, required me to play once and die in order to learn the optimal path, then replay them more quickly to conserve filters. That’s a pretty broken game mechanic.

I genuinely like the sense of urgency I get from the filter system. But I hate being required (or even incentivized) to replay levels with full foreknowledge of what’s to come; it feels very metagamey. I hope they can figure out a solution that keeps the urgency but ditches the downsides. Perhaps running out of filters could simply reduce your movement speed, make stealth impossible (due to your wheezing), etc., rather than outright kill you – so you could still make it to the next stash as long you as you could run ‘n’ gun (and waste precious ammo).

• Mman says:

“Ranger, which I hear diminishes the filter supplies”

It must be that then; playing on the “original” mode I explored when I could and couldn’t find the way a few times and still don’t recall ever coming close to running out of filters. Ranger mode must change that.

• mwoody says:

As I never did figure out the filter mechanics, I’m hard pressed to explain what we did wrong. The system has a timer, but that timer doesn’t count down normally (some say running makes it count faster, or being shot, or having a crack in your visor). I would frequently find caches or bodies with their own filters or masks, and be unable to take them, even when I was getting low. The problem seems to be you can only carry so many filters, and each filter actually remembers its condition – so it’s possible to be carrying several really short-lived filters and one long-lived one and, due to being unable to micromanage them, be forced to pass up countless better filters so long as you’re working on that one mega one you’re given at the beginning of the game.

But anyway, yeah, that’s why I hate that mechanic. For some people it’s easy, for some it “just works,” and for some it’s a gamestopping barrier. And no one is really sure why. If it was just flat-out difficult I could deal with it, but the feedback is so poor you don’t know until the end if you’re failing. The devs even specifically apologized for that system, admitting it was rushed to market, though I’m hard pressed to track the specific quote down right now.

• Cael says:

I had problems with filters on ranger hardcore until I figured out that you don’t need to manually change them, it’s better to let them run out on their own and your character will automatically change it for a new one. While it does create some problems (changing them while in combat) it made the outdoor parts much easier for me.

• Galaxie500 says:

Don’t press the key to change filters! he changes them himself when they run out…

11. Shadrach says:

I’m very excited, loved Metro 2033, even if it was linear as hell it had a LOT of dark dreary atmosphere.

12. GenBanks says:

It’s a rare game where being outside can actually be scarier than cowering in the darkness of the subway.

• mejobloggs says:

Yeah I loved that

The big…. ‘dragon’ things were excellent

13. shinygerbil says:

You think the events which occurred in Metro 2033 were bad? You should have seen what happened…last night.

Would have made a much better title IMO

14. Yosharian says:

Metro 2033 – bad game. It was basically unfinished. Also, I second Mwoody’s comments about air filters, talk about a fucking retarded game mechanic.

• DD says:

I would love to hear more explanation here.

• Yosharian says:

I explained it… the game was not finished. The last hour or so of the game was a joke… undeveloped, boring, made no sense. Just like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. A more clear-cut case of ‘ran out of budget’ there never was.

And the air filter system was terrible.

• Thants says:

What, you going up the tower, that the whole game had been building to? The very cool dream sequences? The exploding blobs were stupid, I thought, but that’s just one little bit. And the filters were a mistake.

I really don’t understand what you could be referring to.

15. Ridnarhtim says:

I really couldn’t get into it. I wanted to, because I love atmospheric/creepy games (Thief, Bioshock, Amnesia,…) but it was just frustrating. I didn’t understand what was going on, the movement felt … weird, the dialogues were really bad imho and really took me out of the game, and the lack of information was just really bad. At one point, I suddenly had lost all my gold bullets – must’ve fired them without noticing.

I only played it for an hour or so, but I just got fed up and stopped (luckily, this was a friend’s that I’d borrowed, rather than one I bought).

• Arglebargle says:

Hmn, reply failure.

Great Atmosfear, background. Beautifully done imagery that you mostly didn’t have time to explore or investigate. Terrible, dumbass design decisions: Checkpoint saving…ugh, having to act in cutscenes all of a sudden … yuck. I quit since I couldn’t count on the developers not doing some other stooopid things.

Thankfully, I got it cheap.

• Marijn says:

If you thought the dialogue was bad, I have one great tip – just switch the game to the original language (Russian, obv). You wont understand most of the ambient talk, because it’s not subtitled, bút it helps the atmosphere immensely.

16. vodka and cookies says:

I like linear shooters but I could just not get into Metro2033 it was just too dreary for my tastes.

17. Stormdancer says:

Absolutely my favorite corridor shooter. In my top five for shooters as a genre, really. Beautifully written, and SO atmospheric. Lotta well done tension.

18. Nikolaj says:

Did the novel get a sequel, too, or is this just milking?

Might still be good, mind you.

19. Navagon says:

As much as I loved all the good things about that game, the sequel better be devoid of bullshit “escort the vulnerable asshole who insists on walking when you can just sprint right through that shit” moments. If not I really don’t know what I’ll do (in regard to buying it). But it won’t be a day one purchase that’s for sure. That was really. Fucking. Annoying. Damn near undid everything that the game did right. Which is saying a lot as the rest is seldom short of impressive.

20. andtriage says:

i saw that picture and the very first thought i had was: lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven.

21. MattM says:

I really wanted to play 2033 so I upgraded to GTX 570 in SLI. Unfortunately my case didnt have enough airflow to keep them cool so I got a Raven 02-E. It came with two broken fans. ARGG.

• Navagon says:

I wanted to play 2033 so I did so on my GTX 260 and all was right with the world and all that.

Where do people get these ridiculous ideas about what is needed to run games?

22. malkav11 says:

What I’ve played of Metro 2033 was amazing, but now it crashes at startup for me. :(

Also, the book is kind of meandering and strange, but it’s got some cool ideas and a hell of an ending. I really wonder how much of that made it into the game. I recognized some aspects of the early levels I’ve played, but of course there’s about 90x as much shooting in one level as in the entire book.

23. Thiefsie says:

Have they fixed the dual monitor issue yet? I still haven’t played it as I am a lazy beast and can not unplug my second monitor more than once every 6 months…

24. soap says:

My god, I loved that game. The human AI was kinda stupid, but that whole part in the library, with the librarians? For me that was the scariest moment in a game since the water level in Amnesia.

25. Van says:

Beat it on hard the first time with no filter problems…. Also beat it with no filter problems on ranger hardcore….not bragging but just saying…. Sick game btw definitely one of my fav’s. scared the hell out of me more then any other game Ive played so far…. don’t sleep on this people!