A Ton Of Saints Row: The Third Screens

By John Walker on April 19th, 2011 at 4:40 pm.

Anti-cuts protests get out of hand.

The first screenshots of Saints Row: The Third have appeared. Hip hip, poo-splatter. As the old saying goes. There’s a LOT of them. Which is what we like to see. We also like to see tanks crushing police cars, insane parachute shoot-outs, and crazy neon fights in which a girl is hitting a masked wrestler type with a four foot purple dildo. Wait, no – we don’t like to see that at all. Good heavens. But still. We have. You should too.

It starts off dull, but quickly gets better.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BigJonno says:

The shots showing off the customisation make me a very happy man indeed.

2. Jake says:

I’m am not sure if ‘hatting’ is some slang term I haven’t heard of. Game looks pretty cool, I appreciate that fellow’s waistcoat.

3. Navagon says:

That looks like a strange mix of unrelated screenshots from various games released over the past 5 years. The store with the dragon head is pretty cool. But I’ve got no idea how much sense tying all this together into one game is going to make (or how good the PC version will be this time around). As always, we’ll have to wait and see.

• Dhatz says:

connecting factor is how ridiculously bad it l00x. If they port it in working order on PC,Ii might try it for more than half our before deletinion. The previous was uber underdesigned and had no consistence at all(Other than recor in bad optimalisationm demotivation and ugliness).

• mwoody says:

“l00x”? Seriously? Did the English language kill your dog or something?

• darthmajor says:

mwoody yours words have bad optimalisationm demotivation and ugliness. ha!
      Also your sentence was uber underdesigned and had no consistence at all. For shame

*facepalm*

• Navagon says:

Oh, looks. Right. I thought he was on about something being a hundred times… something.

4. Nick says:

Looks fun so far, I like the fridge magnet style lettering on ‘Let’s Pretend’ too, the character creater was great in SR2, seems like they are carrying on that tradition, so yay. That plus them not doing shitty port jobs anymore (in theory) makes me excited for this.

5. clownst0pper says:

Well these actually look good, almost pre rendered in places.

I actually had more fun playing Saints Row than GTA. Sad but true!

• rareh says:

Why is it sad ?
      I think its nice if people prefer Just cause 2 or SR over GTA.

Last good gta imo was SA

• clownst0pper says:

Well I suppose your right, maybe because SR2 doesnt have the polish of GTA, but it was still more fun in the first ten minutes than GTA was and genuinely felt open ended.

• Caleb367 says:

I’d still go on GTA, but hey, if Volition can get this right on the pc – and let’s be frank, anything’s gonna be better than that awful, awful port that SR2 was – i’d check it out.

PoulWrist says:

I bought GTA4 for my Xbox when it came out. I never finished it, it was impossible for me to play it with the controller. So I traded it in at some point, for … money, I think. Dunno what happened to it.
      SR2 and JC2 though, those I both finished and spent a lot of time just generally dicking around in, even after the game was over.

Mungrul says:

You know, this is quickly becoming one of my most anticipated games, and the presence of a detailed character creator further cements this anticipation.
    I got so many laughs out of creating a fat, vulgar, Lahndahn Tahn yob with a rainbow mohawk in Saints Row 2 and stripping naked then flashing innocent passers-by. The reactions were just pure comedy, with perfect delivery by the voice actors conveying the mixture of shock and disgust.
    Digging the slightly comic-book look too.

7. McDan says:

Anyone else just wating for someone to make a comment about the purple sex implement and then say “and in the game”?

Just me?

• DigitalSignalX says:

Giant purple dildo swords need no comment, their mere existence encapsulates all praise and criticisms simultaneously.

• NightKid says:

On a serious note, isn’t this susceptible to an ESRB AO rating because of it? Even Hot Coffee, if memory serves, didn’t show any genitalia.

lowprices says:

I think that is more dependant on sexual activity than body parts. And, although there are probably websites dedicated to it, beating people to death with a four foot dildo can’t really be categorised as sexual activity.

• NightKid says:

Fair enough.

In any case, my popcorn was ready for both ESRB’s description and Fox News “sexlence” article.

8. Antlia says:

How do you have the time to write this, you should be finishing Portal 2 the third time!?

Why am I even writing this gosh gotta get playing

• Dhatz says:

You probably ignorant to notice its not on the bay nor my countrys monopoly warezforum. AND WERE TALKING STEAM, wtf takes so long.

9. Teddy Leach says:

Look, a blocky willy!

• westyfield says:

I… I thought that was normal. You mean they’re not supposed to look like that?
      *sobs*

• Dhatz says:

quick, lets develop the anti-minecraft cur[DIED FROM MINECRAFT PLAGUE(a.k.a. DERESOLUTION)]

tomeoftom says:

Nice tags.

• Tizoc says:

I am starting to worry that we might see more posts under the “four foot purple dildo” tag in the future.

• Teddy Leach says:

I am excited for more tags like this in the future. Wait, that doesn’t sound right.

• McDan says:

I was about to express the same enthusiastic comment as the man above me when I realised the same thing…

11. Muzman says:

Looks oddly …Bioshock-y, when it’s not outside during the day at least. Maybe it’s just that first screeny.

• Ricc says:

Exactly. I just finished Bioshock 2 yesterday and though the same thing about that first screenshot.

• JohnnyMaverik says:

Yup, if you told me that was a Bioshock 1 or 2 screen I wouldn’t bat an eyelid.

12. Ralud says:

Ooh, looks hilarious. But if I’m to busy laughing to actually play, I will complain.

13. PatrickSwayze says:

I can’t play Saints Row 2 on my PC, neither could I on my last PC, but if Volition get on with their “Doing PC ports justice” I will buy this too… it just looks too fun.

14. groghog says:

anyone else think the wrestlers have a kind of necromunda feel to them?

15. hamster says:

Imagine if the giant purple lady’s relaxation device is actually a shotgun in disguise. You’d think that you got on to a nice day when u see the chick stroking it (once) and then you hear some mechanical noise sounding like a shotgun’s action cycling, and then you’ll be like oh shit as she holds it up like a rifle and points the end at you; and still, you think: that girl looking so damn fine. She yells: “yipeekayee muthatrucker.”

edit: before discharging the load in your face

lowprices says:

There is nothing about that device that looks relaxing. Unless you regularly encounter women with vaginas a foot wide.

As we all do from time to time.

16. Dominic White says:

I love that they’ve fully embraced the cartoonish insanity of it all, and gone for an art style that better reflects it. The first two Saints Row games might have been mad as a sack full of badgers once you dug down a bit, but they looked like completely straight-laced GTA clones at first.

This looks far more exaggerated, which seems about right for a game about going on epic, cartoonish criminal rampages.

17. CMaster says:

Clearly these guys have watched Shoot ‘em up

• Jake says:

Everyone should watch Shoot ‘Em Up, great film.

• mwoody says:

Shoot ‘Em Up really needs to be, like, the official movie of SR2. They share an… approach, I suppose you’d call it.

Anyway, yes, fantastic movie. Only one I own – literally, it’s this one and this one only – on Bluray, despite owning two PS3s.

• Thants says:

Shoot ‘Em Up is a movie in which Clive Owen gets in a gunfight while having sex with Monica Bellucci. I think I’ve said enough.

• Grubblik says:

does that mean yet another movie in which Clive Owen shows us how wood would act?

18. tungstenHead says:

Spacesuit? Maybe I’m optimistic, but I sure hope they take this to the moon. I would jack a moonbuggy and then hit the astronaut with it just to see how far he flies. Then I would start hitting the lunar lander with the sex toy.

I just put a lot of time into SR2 and I enjoyed it immensely. It is a very, very good game in spite of itself. I am looking forward to The Third.

19. whydidyoumakemeregister says:

Saints Row 2 was the worst current gen games I’ve ever played. I didn’t find anything about the game to be fun; you were just a sociopath that straight up murders or tortures (often) innocent people mission after mission after mission. On top of that I also had to play pretty much every mission twice because the Xbox version would freeze up constantly. Yep, I can’t think of a less pleasant gaming experience.

• WhenInRome says:

Being forced to play a hybrid of Deadly Towers, E.T. for Atari and Superman 64 while someone else plays Half-Life Episode 3 right next to you?

20. WhenInRome says:

I could’ve sworn I saw an article saying they wanted to make SR3 darker…

21. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Now that is a protest!
    Also ‘Roid much?

22. hocevar says:

Uhm, those screens are pretty old, they released them about a month ago

23. Mattressi says:

What is this, I don’t even…

24. Njordsk says: