Behold! Garshasp: The Monster Slayer

By Jim Rossignol on April 20th, 2011 at 11:43 am.

Bite his kneecaps!
Dead Mage Studio (good name!) send word that they are putting the finishing touches to their first game, Garshasp: The Monster Slayer. It’s a God Of War type hack and slash melee game set in the world of Iranian mythology. That means dudes getting stabbed, and some of these dudes are very large. There’s a trailer below! Go look! And also the game will be out via Steam and GamersGate soonish. We’ll bring you more details at that time.

, .

1. Inigo says:

Well, garsh.

2. NR says:

Woo! We need more hack’n'slashers on the PC – more of this, please, developers!

3. Orija says:

And the developer itself based in Iran. It’s impressive they came up with this with the limited resources that they had.

4. Mario Figueiredo says:

Ridiculously big swords don’t excite me. But a God of War-like game on the PC? Heck, that’s the real boner!

• Orija says:

Lots of bloom doesn’t excite me. But a God of War-like game on the PC? Heck, that’s the real boner!

Oozo says:

Not seeing any too obvious differences from the usual fantasy-template doesn’t excite me. But the idea of a game set in the world of Iranian mythology? Heck, that’s a swell prospect!

5. Item! says:

edited, for pointlessness.

6. weiho says:

With that hair the guy looks like some cross between prince of persia and god of war…

7. Blaq says:

Looks like a cross between The Darksiders and Prince of Persia. Not the worst of combinations, I have to say. Especially considering the fact that Daksiders is buggy as hell with seemingly very little developer support.

I love the way the character carries that enormous sword like it’s no big deal. Around the waist is good enough, the upper portion of the back is reserved for even bigger stuff.

I also love how he takes that big leap at 0:40 and lands what seems to be half a meter lower, tremors shaking the earht. :D

8. Navagon says:

So they’re claiming to be the only good kind of mage. Clever.

I’ve had my eye on this one for a while now. Admittedly that’s somewhat to do with the novelty of it being an Iranian game. But also because some of the concept art had an Ace Team level of creativity about it.

9. Wulf says:

…this looks a lot like that Alumar shot or whatever it was from a while back. It also looks a lot like a certain Skyrim shot I’ve seen.

Utterly generic guy with big weapon – Check.
    Large creature with big weapon – Check.
    Typical fantasy environment – Check.

These are a dime a dozen.

I wish people did more with fantasy games. How about a game centring around a mage who uses high-magic reality hacking to solve problems? Got a race of savages that are about to overrun your city? Go back in time and become their messiah, make ethics a cornerstone of their culture, and convince them to hold back on their more savage urges until their evolution purges it as an unnecessary element.

Got a city under siege by a dragon? Hide the city somehow so it looks like it’s been destroyed and the dragon loses interest, or find a way to appease or frighten the dragon so that it no longer becomes an issue. Even perhaps become another dragon and challenge it to a duel, win, tell him/her that this is your territory, then chase the beastie off.

Need to power up? You have to traverse an Indiana Jones style ancient temple filled with all sorts of puzzles and nasty magical traps. It has guards, but you can create mazes and various temporary ailment inducing traps (tower defence style) to slow them down whilst you proceed ever deeper into the tower. Each tower lads to a new ability which you can use to help people out.

The eventual result of this being Godhood, which can have a number of results based on the choices of how you approached things up to that point.

Now that’s a game I’d like to play. And it would require new mechanics for every new set of abilities learned. So it would probably be a short game but I’ve always been a fan of quality over quantity. I’d rather play six hours of that than 50 hours of the above, but that’s just me. More and more I’m thinking I should somehow try and get into bloody game development. I know that’ll never happen, but still.

• Burning Man says:

Since your off-the-top-of-head are pretty darn good, I’d say you really should. It might sound cliche, but you’re the only thing stopping yourself from trying.

• Archonsod says:

The irony being of course he’s just described Blazing Saddles meets Indiana Jones in a traditional fantasy world.

10. Predalienator says:

Can i play as Mahmoud Ahmadinejad?

• Navagon says:

I think they need to remake Max Payne with him playing the lead role. It would make so much more sense.

11. ynamite says:

Doesn’t look half bad. Animation isn’t quite top notch, but I can see myself buying this.

12. pupsikaso says:

Nice, I love the middle-eastern mythologies. And the game looks very slick, too, though I definitely wouldn’t pay full price for it.

13. karry says:

“they are putting the finishing touches to their first game, Garshasp: The Monster Slayer.”

Ag.ru reports that it was released 25th of March.

“It’s a God Of War type hack and slash melee game”

The hell ? I have no idea what that even means, not having played God of War. RPS is getting first symptoms of acute consolitis ?

14. magnus says:

It’s on my wish list, I just hope it’s not as vague as Numen : Conquest Of Heros was, I still can’t figure out the whole arena battles thing and regularly dissapointed my deity of choice.

15. thepaleking says:

Iranian mythology eh? It’s nice to see a hack and slash game deviating from Greek mythology or medieval…stuff.

16. Tams80 says:

@ 42 seconds. He is so big and muscular that it slows him down. A lot.

Gabbo says:

The setting looks to be a nice change of pace, and hack n’ slash on PC is a rarity. I’ll wait to hear more on how the game performs technically before I take the plunge for it, but I’m glad to have been made aware of it and am intrigued.

18. roman2 says:

I’m thrilled. I LOVE this genre. Sadly, besides the Devil May Cry series, there aren’t that much titles on our beloved PC. Hence, this will be a must-have for me, I guess :)

19. Comrade Communist says:

I’ve played this game around a month ago… Well, it looks like Prince of Persia as if it was a slasher. Graphics is really bad, but the gameplay is fun!

20. Batman64 says:

IF there was some way to change the resolution, this could look great.
    Oh, and maybe an English language pack would be helpful.
    Mind you, I did play an old version…….

…..I’ll go now, the kettle’s boiling.

21. adonf says:

Regardless of the quality of the game, I think it’s a good idea to base a Prince of Persia-like game on actual Persian mythology.

The original games were based on what ? American view of the Arabian Nights ?