New Settlers 7 Patch Adds Free Co-Op Mode

By John Walker on April 20th, 2011 at 5:33 pm.

Coo lummee, that's a bit lovely.

The Settlers 7 is to be getting a new patch, which will add a co-op version of the game. Which is a pretty fantastic thing to find thrown in there for free. It’s also part of the fourth DLC pack called Settlers 7: The Two Kings (do you see what they did there), which adds in the new mode as well as some new maps to go with it. But to be clear: the co-op goes to everyone who updates with the patch, regardless of the DLC. More details thisaway.

So the patch will update the game with the new mode, as well as bring in a few new features that make the current maps playable in a co-op form. They are:

- Allies can donate sectors to the team partner

- Allies can send resources and goods to the team partner

- Allies share technologies with the team partner

- Allies share tradeposts with the team partner

- Allies share victory points and all calculations, that count towards gaining victory points

The DLC, which will cost you £4, also adds in two new multiplayer maps, and a new dedicated co-op map. Here’s the details:

- 2 brand new multiplayer maps

o Tower Island – This is a menacing place, where four rulers challenge each other. The island is dominated by the central Tower of Tandria. Gaining access to the tower may be key to your success. Distances to your opponents are very short, so keep an eye on your defence.

o Throne of Tandria – In this realm two teams compete for the Throne of Tandria. There are different starting conditions, so adapt your strategy according to your position. One Ruler has access to plenty of fertile building ground, but has only few mines in his reach. The other ruler has access to plenty of mines, but only limited fertile ground.

- A brand new 2-player map

o Forest Realm – The Forest Realm is located in a wide open mountain valley marked by thick forests and very spacious meadows. Two kings face each other on opposing sides of the valley. The king-sized home sectors are characterized by central marketplaces, where you can increase your wealth.

Of course, to play it you’ll still have to contend with Ubisoft’s moronic always-on DRM misery, which for reasons unknown they still haven’t patched out of Settlers 7.

You can get the new DLC from here.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. cqdemal says:

I thought that first screenshot was the Imperial City from Oblivion.

2. Dominic White says:

I don’t particularly mind the Settlers 7 DRM, but that’s mainly because I got my copy via my Metaboli subscription, which by necessity needs to be always-on otherwise people would sign up for a trial, download every game and then run off laughing.

But yeah, this sounds like a pretty impressive patch. The support for the game has been remarkably good. Pity that nobody has actually talked about the GAME here because everyone is too busy running around screaming about DRM.

• Archonsod says:

Can’t say it bothered me either. Of course that’s partially because I make frequent use of the various online components anyway.

• Dominic White says:

It’d definitely irk me if I had a boxed copy or actually purchased it outright.. but even then, I’d only be irked. It’s a mild annoyance at most for me, but that’s because I’m lucky enough to have a fairly stable connection. I can understand why people wouldn’t like it, but yeah, it’s not a good reason to derail conversation about the game every time it’s mentioned.

• Heliocentric says:

Loved the demo, had it installed for months. But the price was always a little rich on the download services, i don’t buy games which need the disc to install. I have children who find discs all too interesting.

• Archonsod says:

Got mine for free when D2D were doing that “every 5th game sold is free” promo thing last year, but it was discounted to around £15 at that point. Sure I’ve also seen it going for £10 at some point too; probably worth keeping an eye on it over the inevitable Easter sales.

• Hallgrim says:

@Dominic White: Tell me about the game? I’m always interested in co-op games. Is this Sim City-ish?

• Carados says:

The closest comparison to Settlers 7 (besides other Settlers games) is the Anno series, or a thousand other things in America.

Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery is a good comparison.

• Ranneko says:

I also don’t have a problem with the Ubi DRM on Settlers 7, but that is mostly because Ubisfot sold it to me for free, along with a lot of their other games when all of their downloadable content on the Australian storefront were marked as free for a few days.

• Dominic White says:

As some have mentioned, the DRM isn’t such a huge deal because the game has pretty heavy online integration even in singleplayer.

But yeah, it’s a relatively relaxing city-building game, although it’s a little less freeform and a little more militarily-geared than Anno 1404. Each map is broken up into distinct control zones, and the player that owns a zone (usually by capturing a central defensive structure) has building rights in it. It’s still fairly light on the military stuff compared to your average RTS, but it’s definitely more involved than Anno’s ‘Build a camp, watch them break stuff’ approach.

On a tangent, I really do like Metaboli.co.uk – got me a ton of games I wouldn’t have otherwise bought (currently enjoying HAWX 2). Costs about the same as an MMO subscription too. Definitely worth considering if you have a fast, stable internet connection, as it requires you to be connected to launch anything.

3. ulix says:

I’m thorougly impressed by the fantastic support this game is getting after release.

Shame I would never buy it for its DRM.

• Vinraith says:

Ditto. City builders, like any strategy game, are games I want to be able to play months and years after I bought them. Never knowing when the authentication servers will simply shut down is completely unacceptable, especially for this kind of title.

• jplayer01 says:

Agreed. I loved the earlier Settlers iterations. I won’t, however, buy the current one until/unless the DRM is removed.

• MajorManiac says:

I feel exactly the same. Can’t wait for the inevitable DRM-free mega bundle either this Christmas or the next…*crosses fingers*

4. squareking says:

Fact: Every time I read about this series, my mind goes immediately to Settlers of Catan.

5. MrWolf says:

Great game + Ass-awful DRM = A Damn shame.

6. Torgen says:

I’d like to hear some reviews of the game itself as well. The bits and pieces I’ve seen have been of the “steer clear” variety, which is a shame. I loved Settlers III, aside from the small maps. I’m one of those who enjoys watching the settlers get on with their lives and building a bustling town rather than process-resources-as-fast-as-possible-in-order-to-fling-troops-at-the-enemy.

• Archonsod says:

It’s the best Settlers since the originals really. Returns back to the economy style play of those but retains some of the better ideas of it’s predecessor (the RTS pretensions have been dropped altogether though). Throw in sensible victory points which for once really do mean trade or tech is just as viable as military power and the whole thing being damn gorgeous to boot.

7. drewski says:

I’ll buy it for $10 after the DRM is patched out.

YOUR MOVE, UBISOFT

8. piphil says:

Game – DRM = Instant purchase.

I did email the developers directly when it was released asking why the DRM had been implemented in such an anti-consumer fashion. I never got a reply.

9. Ace Jon says:

The last Settlers game I played was Settlers II. Generally I get the feeling on the internet that II was the most loved (I loved it, for one). Whenever I see new Settlers game I pause, but never end up buying. Is 7 worth it? Does it have the charm, or has feature creep killed the joy? What is the status of Settlers?!

• Torgen says:

It seems that one of the most charming things about III to me, is the one thing that most people hate about it: In III, the settlers make their own paths, instead of you having to plot roads like they’re tiny trains or something.

• Jake says:

Settlers 7 really feels like an updated Settlers 2 rather than the other versions, although I haven’t played every iteration. I think it’s a really solid game, though the single player did feel a bit like an extremely long tutorial. I expect it will be great fun multiplayer.

10. jackflash says:

Really want to buy this, but still waiting for DRM to go away. Looks like a pretty cool game.

11. Zefah says:

This game looks awesome, and I’ve been interested in it for quite a while. It’s unfortunate that I just can’t buy it with that insane DRM attached to it.

Is this the only Ubisoft game left with it attached?

• Archonsod says:

AFAIK.

Problem Settlers VII has is there’s no “offline” mode in the game as such, so I can’t see them removing the DRM until they patch in an offline mode.

12. Jake says:

Ah but does it have a split screen mode like Settlers 2? I barely even had one working mouse on my Amiga but it was still brilliant. So many games neglecting split screen mode at the moment.

13. D3xter says:

I was interested there for a moment :P But this isn’t really as much Co-Op as adding Multiplayer features… now on the other hand if it was possible to play the campaign together with a friend… (I don’t know why more strategy games don’t do this, just put down a second base or share control or something and balance it that way :P)

• Archonsod says:

The campaign wouldn’t really suit two players till the later stages, and you can always play those maps in multiplayer with a friend should you wish.

14. Xiyng says:

Once they patch all DRM out of the game, I’ll consider getting the game. Until then, I don’t care what they do with their game.

• Icarus says:

I’ll also jump on this particular train. The game looks quite charming, but the infamous UbiDRM makes it an instant lost sale from me.

15. Zarunil says:

Remove DRM = purchase.

16. feek says:

The game is awesome, and the DRM is really no big deal if you have an internet connection.

• dadioflex says:

Uh, think it through… it’s May 19th 2015, you’re barricaded in your house, it’s the middle of the night and the zombie werewolf nazis that have wiped out the rest of the world are scratching at your back door. Oh, you say, oh I’ll play some Settlers but THERE ARE NO DRM SERVERS!!!

Feel silly now?

• Zefah says:

What dadioflex said is one obvious reason, but I refuse to buy anything with their DRM, because if I do, that is sending a message that I am okay with that kind of DRM. I just can’t do it.

17. omicron1 says:

I bought it from one of those companies that ships ‘em in from the third world. It’s a legitimate copy (I have a photo of the serial number paper); the only thing is Ubisoft only got about $10 for it. That’s my version of revenge for the horrible DRM antics.

18. SeriousKriss says:

Add me to the “will buy when DRM is removed” crowd. Seems like there’s quite a lot of us…

• furiannn says:

Add another 1 on that list. First time Ive heard of the game and it looks pretty sweet, echoing others’ comments it’s a damn shame they had to ruin the release with DRM

• Cinek says:

I would not.
      Ubisoft already shown that they are total ***** and I don’t plan to buy any of their products in any time soon. No more money for this greedy company, so greedy that they don’t care about the consumers anymore.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

19. Hendo says:

I live in a rural area and my connection is sporadic and sometimes slow. Plus I have a 5gb monthly limit (thanks Verizon!).

I HATE it when games require a connection to even play. I HATE it when they make me download a 1gb update before I can play. Then I HATE it even more when said game won’t play because it says my license key was already used. Settlers 7 was promptly returned for a full refund.

Comment on this story