Vote For Magicka’s Free Map

By Jim Rossignol on April 20th, 2011 at 4:26 pm.

Magicka is to get two new challenge maps, “Caverns” and “Marshlands”, each featuring a swarm of monsters that a player must take on with magic violence. You can check out the details of the maps in question in a video, below. However, one map will be free, and one will cost $1.99. Which will be which? Well that’s being decided in a poll just here. Looks like Caverns is the firm favourite, but maybe it’ll turn around for poor old Marshlands.

“These maps will be released on April 26th, one of which will be offered without requiring so much as a single potato,” say Paradox, cheekily.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Theory says:

So the one everyone wants is free, while the unpopular one is a quid. Hmm.

(They both look nice to me.)

• Jim Rossignol says:

Yeah, that made me laugh. Maybe they’ll swap ‘em over.

• Durkonkell says:

This is what I was thinking! It seems like a marketing mistake to charge money for the map that loses the vote, but perhaps the extra publicity from the “we’re releasing a map for free, choose which one” thing will offset that.

Also if both maps are good quality, it’s entirely possible that people will play one, find themselves in need of more Magicka and purchase the second one too.

(Note: Seeing both sides of an argument tends to leave one unable to form a solid conclusion, hence the lack of any).

• Tacroy says:

Well that’s the problem, in my opinion – Caverns features the fun enemies, like trolls and goblins and things, in a new environment for a challenge map where they come up out of the middle of the level and you can toss them over the edge.

The Marsh, on the other hand, features the worst enemies in the game – the demons and the undead – in what looks like a a really irritating, wet environment; lightning fizzles out and deals damage when you’re wet, which is a giant pain in the butt.

I probably won’t buy the Marsh map, but I’ll play the Caverns one.

• Teddy Leach says:

It’s actually a clever use of reverse psychology. Possibly. Maybe not.

2. gorgol says:

Hmm, I bought the Vietnam DLC because I loved Magicka. But it was very dissapointing and I haven’t actually played it much. So really it was a waste of money which cashed in on and therefore lost a lot of my love for the game.

Now about a week after asking us to shell out 5 quid for a two challenge maps (bearing in mind the original cost only 10 quid for the same plus a long story mode) they want to charge another 2 quid for another map? At this rate it will cost a lot more to keep up with shitty magicka content that it does to play a MMORPG, and for a lot less playtime and service… I get the feeling they are taking the piss.

I’ll take the free one though, and feel a little bit better about the money I wasted on the Vietnam expansion. Will not be bothering to vote though, not interested enough, and will not be buying the other map.

• slight says:

Lots of people liked the Vietnam map, just because you didn’t doesn’t make it milking. And they’re not making you buy these maps either, they’re offering them. You paid for Magicka based on the content in it, they didn’t say “and we’ll give you lots of free content afterwards”.

It really staggers me how people get so upset over DLC. Magicka was a full game, and it was cheap, what’s the problem? The DLC is optional, just ignore it if it bothers you.

3. Mr_Initials says:

So they wont accept the potato I plan on sending them?

4. Radiant says:

I have bought Magikca [4 pack!] and:

A) it wont run on my laptop [my pc is in the middle of an 'upgrade', as in, it's in bits]
    B) I have no one to play it with [we're all old and no longer have 'gaming pcs']
    C) I AM FUCKING MISERABLE.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Cheer up! It’s sunny out.

• Protagoras says:

Oh the other hand:
      A) the world is coming to its uneventful end in about a year plus change. According the best new theories, the turtle thats been carrying the universe has a serious case of the munchies and will devour one of the elephants that lay on top of it, leading to a proper imbalance of powers tearing our universe to shreds.
      B) Since everyone will be dead, no one will be playing Magicka. Especially the people who wake up dead.
      C) nothing to worry about!
      D) ????
      E) Profit?

Actually, so I’m not totally OOT, Magicka is awesome. More Magicka = more awesome. YAY!

• HexagonalBolts says:

I’ll play with you

• The Pink Ninja says:

Is there an RPS Magicka group?

• squareking says:

@Pink Ninja: I think we need to create one. If not a Steam group, then at least something in the forums. Go go gadget community!

• qrter says:

It’s sunny out.

We’re PC gamers, Jim. The sun has little meaning for us.

• Vinraith says:

The sun, it buuuuuuuuuuuuurns.

• Mr_Initials says:

Speak for yourself. I would rather be outside in the sun than outside in the rain/snow/nuclear fallout.

• Teddy Leach says:

Awww… Someone give him a hug!

• Radiant says:

Still waiting for that hug!

And the pc bits I ordered.

5. The Pink Ninja says:

I don’t want to be one of those annoying whiny commentators and I haven’t see the maps yet so they maybe great but after something as off the wall as Vietnam I was hoping the maps would be more creative than “A Cave” or “A Swamp”

Why not a battle in Candyland?

Or a map where you are shrunk and fight through a human body?

Or one where you fight fictional characters from the public domain?

I’m looking at you Dante’s Inferno

• Tacroy says:

Well, to be fair, you can’t really expect new art assets out of a $2 DLC for a $10 game.

• Wulf says:

Swamps are hugely underrated and rarely done well. The last half decent swamp in a game I can remember is Morrowind. I actually want more swamps.

• Teddy Leach says:

I find that swamps are the natural equivalent of a sewer level. I want a level set on a damned magic frisbee.

• Urthman says:

If you’re going to look at it that way, shouldn’t we expect them to pour 20% of their total development costs for the original game into the DLC?

• Wulf says:

I’m all for the magic frisbee myself, but I see no simile that would connect swamps and sewer levels unless you’re seriously misunderstanding the nature of a swamp.

Swamps are bloody ecological marvels. Just because they’re not the most habitable locations to us as humans doesn’t mean that they’re not interesting and beautiful. And that’s the problem, we tend to stick to areas that are habitable to us. There are so many places on our own planet that are just untapped by games, and that’s a shame.

As I’ve said before, the same goes for a number of old cultures as well that would work really well with an RPG, instead of just treading across the same familiar ground every single time.

• Teddy Leach says:

Oh, don’t misunderstand me, Wulf, I like swamps in real life, I find them fascinating. It’s more that (and this is my personal experience) swamps come up about as often as sewers, and often in the same game. And both smell. I’m tired and walked 12 miles while in desperate need of a drink earlier, if that helps?

6. Demonbooker says:

*sigh* This really just pisses me off… I bought Magicka on pre-order, cause is looked awesome, and looked like something that would play fine on my 2 year old computer. That said, it is awesome, but it does not play on my 2 year old computer because it has an integrated graphics card, and Arrowhead decided we didn’t need to know they didn’t support or even test on integrated cards until a week after the game launched and probably a third of people that bought it, couldn’t play it….

So now, seeing them poop out map packs at $5 a crap just makes me hate them… Never will another Arrow Head game touch my wallet…

(Just to be clear, my rage vector = Arrow Head Studios, not RPS, as they are just the messengers and I still <3 them)

• Kid_A says:

So I’m guessing you missed the part on the Steam Store page, and on every other digital outlet, where it said explicitly “Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900 (Integrated Video Cards not recommended)” then.

• Enikuo says:

@Kid_A – They added that disclaimer about integrated graphics after the fact – it didn’t always say that. Also, I believe they even changed the actual requirements on the product page one time after launch.

That said, my computer matches the requirements and it still blue screens in Magicka. It’s a fun game, when it runs. But, I have too many other games to be bothered with it.

• Demonbooker says:

@Kid_A Arrow Head had increased the minimum requirements twice AFTER launch before that disclaimer was added, so anyone who pre-purchased never saw that information.

7. Tacroy says:

This is kind of a silly choice – I hated the undead and demons, but the bomb-carrying goblins are my absolute favorite enemy to kill (it’s like the one time fireballs are effective). Now they give me the choice between the buggy, irritating undead* and fun explosive gobbos? Seriously? This is an absolute no-brainer.

*they’re supposed to take damage from life spells and heal from arcane spells, but that absolutely never worked for me so I just spammed the same arcane spell combo and killed them just as quick. The minor mobs have a sickening attack that makes you slow unless you heal, which is incredibly irritating, and those goddamn tree things hold you for way too long – and two of them can stunlock you, and I haven’t been able to figure out a way out of it (not even teleport, afaik)

• PanzerVaughn says:

Ents dont like fire and force you to face them when theyre grabbed. Firebeam ruins them, and makes them drop you. (Fun fact, water heals!) The Life/Arcane thing works on zombies and skeletons. Theres some feral scampering swamppeople guys in that level that ARENT undead though, you may be thinking of them.

As for Bombgoblins, 4*Lightning, 1* Fire = good times

• Teddy Leach says:

Just spam Crash To Desktop. It’ll kill everything.*

*”Everything” may very well mean you die first.

8. Wulf says:

No one appreciates a good marshland. :C Oh well, I’ll likely buy it anyway to support Paradox and Arrowhead. (Interesting note: I asked them if they could inform me how to mod the game to have larger fonts. And guess what? My copy of Magicka now has nice, large fonts! I’ll share that information with anyone who’s interested.)

But back on topic, no one appreciates a good marshland, and that’s a shame. I’ve spent so much time in dungeons in so many RPGs that I’m kind of sick of them. MOAR overland maps! Not to mention that the dungeons bit looks waaay too much like Torchlight, which is still too fresh in my mind for me to desire playing in such a similar environment again.

Regardless which is free, I’ll likely be playing Marshlands and forgetting Caverns.

9. Dreamhacker says:

Noooooo! Caves mean no QFASA! (lightning) Vote marshlands!

• Vague-rant says:

Surely Marshlands means no Electricity, unless you want to set yourself on fire every minute or so.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Or unless you shield yourself properly.

10. silverhammermba says:

Aw, Caverns is winning!? Caverns is indoors! That means no rain, blizzard, thunderstorm, thunderbolt, summon phoenix, or meteor shower!

• Aedrill says:

Losing Thunderbolt and Summon Phoenix is a shame, I agree. But fighting against demons is so bloody annoying I’m gonna take the chance.

BTW, they should do something about demons, really. I wouldn’t mind if they made them difficult as hell (pun intended) but right now they’re about as strong as goblins and orcs but way more irritating.

11. Vinraith says:

I like both, I’ll buy whichever loses and play both, so I suppose it’s all win-win to me.

12. mogofogo says:

This is a wonderful game, had so much fun playing challenge with my friends.
    But for the more seasoned wizards out there,
    Care to share your tips on handling those weird purple-alien watchers thingies?
    Think they’re on wave 8.