Arma II: Reinforcements Out, Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on April 21st, 2011 at 6:38 pm.

Hello! He's so British that his gun is actually a kettle.
Ah, Arma II. The game that reminds me we need to be doing more games night stuff. Yes. We shall. But also an email from Bohemia that reminds me that the combined expandalone – Reinforcements – is out, and has actually been so for a week, I think. This new pack includes the British Armed Forces and Private Military Company expansions as one, and does not require the original game to play. There’s also a bunch of tweaks and enhancements that Bohemia have been making as the games developed. Fancy simulatory men being shot below, in a healthily footage-heavy trailer.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. skurmedel says:

Don’t think I’ll get this. I can live with the low-res versions of the Brittish stuff.

• dsi1 says:

I’m going to wait for PR’s incredibly detailed versions of the same assets myself.

2. Dominic White says:

I already got the BAF and PMC addons for cheap through Steam sales, anyway. Bohemia really have patched the hell out of Arma 2 since release, adding and improving a lot. The Combined Ops install is easily the best soldier sim possible at the moment.

MajorManiac says:

“There’s also a bunch of tweaks and enhancements that Bohemia have been making as the games developed.” – Does anyone know if the extra shizzle be included in the form of patches if you already own this in separate parts?

• Unaco says:

Yes. I believe so. It’s almost always been the case with previous addons, expansions and expandalones… when BMF and PMC were released as expansions, there were patches released for the game itself. Also, around the time this was released, there was a big patch put out for CO/OA… so I assume that was patching all the fixes/tweaks and whatnot in.

Someone a little more familiar can probably confirm it, but I think all the shizzle is included in patches for the separate parts.

El_MUERkO says:

ARMA 2 has been patched to 1.09 but you need ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead to get the 1.59 patch that will included all the updates.

If you only own ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead and patch it to 1.59 then it will include all the vehicles, units and weapons for the DLC (British Armed Forces, Private Military Company) but with low resolution textures.

The game has improved massively since the original launch of ARMA 2, the Afghan-esque environments of Operation Arrowhead not only look stunning but they also improve game play by being better suited to the games A.I.

Add a few friends and the A.C.E. and ACRE mod’s and your in soldier simulation heaven :)

MajorManiac says:

Absolutely agree, the desert maps really suit ARMA 2, both in game play and in lowering visual details to improve performance.

• pepper says:

I love ARMAII as the poster above, just spend about 3 hours in a insurgency mission( modified with a metric ton of aircraft and tanks, etc ). Good ol fun.

4. Aero says:

I wanted to Like Arma… but the UI really killed it for me. I never had any idea on what was going on or how to do things. You can be tactical and realistic without needing the whole keyboard…

• egg651 says:

You get used to it.. Realistically, I hardly ever use more keyboard buttons than I would for any other FPS. Most everything is done through the scroll wheel menu.

• Turin Turambar says:

“You can be tactical and realistic without needing the whole keyboard…”

In an fps? Yes.
      In a fps which is also a game where you can lead from smallish groups to various platoons and can use land, sea and air vehicles? No.

It’s not like they were bored and decided to use all the keyboard. There are reasons for that.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, the game covers everything from solo infantry combat to combined Land/Air/Sea tactics all under the players command. The vast majority of keys you’ll never touch as an infantry player.

heretic says:

Why you’d want the BAF… they have silly helmets, they should add a spike or two then they’d be awesome ._.

Harlander says:

Because the BAF has the best gun

• Tams80 says:

Silly helmets?!

As for the best gun. Well firstly it is a weapon. A ‘gun’ is one of those big things the artillery and navy use. XD The SA80 – L85A2 is indeed a good weapon though. In fact, it is one of the reasons I want to get Arma II with BAF. I’m fed up using bloody M16s in games.

6. egg651 says:

This is completely pointless… Why would you buy this, when you wont be able to do any co-op multiplayering, when you you can just get OA on the cheap with the lite version of both of these expansion packs included? The singleplayer in ArmA 2 is god awful when compared to multiplayer.

• Conor says:

I would assume that it’s for people who haven’t got them already or can’t/don’t want to purchase them online, so they have a nice physical box they can cuddle at night and stuff like that.

• royaltyinexile says:

Wrong, actually…

If you have RFT you can play online with people that own Arrowhead.

It’s designed to be MP compatible, as were the DLCs.

7. McDan says:

Kettles! High powered kettles that shoot boiling hot death. My kind of gun.

Gap Gen says:

The Kettle is in fact the favourite weapon of the Metropolitan Police. If a teenager is caught shoplifting, four riot police will surround them until they get tired and wander off.

• PleasingFungus says:

But how can they wander off if they’re kettled…?

Harlander says:

It’s the riot police who get tired. That armour’s heavy you know.

8. Captain Hijinx says:

God i Love ARMA 2.

It’s flawed as fuck, but hey.. A hell of a lot of my favourite games are heavily flawed…

MajorManiac says:

This analogy just popped into my head – “ARMA 2 has more floors than the Empire State Building, but the view from the top is breath-taking.”

9. notjasonlee says:

have they added RELOAD ANIMATIONS yet? if not, i’m still not interested.

• TV-PressPass says:

Good news! There is reload animations . . . . and there always has been?

Maybe you were playing on day one or something, but I’ve always had the reload animation go everytime I’ve pushed R in the last 2 years.

Now is there a charging handle animation for the M4 and variants? No, but thats different.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, you don’t see your weapon reload right in front of your face, because your character lowers his arms and does it at a reasonable angle. If you look at it in third-person, they’re reloading as you’d expect.

• Dozer says:

Have they removed reload animations yet?

What killed ArmA 1 for me (among other things I can’t remember tbh) was that if someone’s reloading their gun, and you shoot them in the head, they keep reloading their gun until the ‘gun reloading’ animation is finished, then they start the ‘falling down dead’ animation.

It was true for every animation, including the fairly common ‘running two steps forward’ one. You’d shoot a running guy, and he’d keep running. You fire again because you think you missed. And again. And again. Then he finally collapses, but he was dead since the first shot.

It was a very impressive game. I’m tempted to reinstall it but I remembered another flaw – doesn’t run well on dinosaur PCs!

10. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Oh I can’t help but think the use of “fun” in the trailer was very deliberate, possibly in light of OFP Red River’s PR? Bohemia have gnashed their teeth at Codemasters a few times.

Anyway, already bought the two mini expansions a while ago and they’ve both been pleasing so far. It’s pretty astounding how robust the game’s accumulative content is.

11. Isometric says:

Ahh this is great news. I was planning to get them both at some point and why not now get them like this. Plans, plans, plans.

12. Kevin says:

Don’t suppose Bohemia finally optimized their damned engine this time around? No?

*Deep breath, followed by a sigh* Okay then.

• dsi1 says:

Supposedly they optimized foliage rendering a bit, which seems to be a big factor when you compare ArmA2’s Chenarus to OA’s Takistan.

• The Dude says:

Nope. It’s still a miserable old cunt of an engine. Too bad there’s nothing out there based on a better engine that’s quite like this or I’d be playing that instead.

• Dominic White says:

The engine is a helluva lot more optimized than it used to be. I’ve barely upgraded this machine in 3-4 years (an extra 2gb of RAM a while back, but that’s about it), but I can run it at default high detail at a fairly solid 25-30fps, which is more than enough for a hardcore military sim like this.

To make it run better still on older hardware, I highly recommend the (officially BI-signed) NoBlur mod. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=97853

It basically turns off the rotational motion blur, which looks lovely if you’re running at a high framerate, but if you’re running slow, it’ll overcompensate and heavily blur the screen while dragging the framerate down further which makes it blurrier, etc etc.
      Just run that mod and it’ll bypass the horrible Performance Fail Spiral, and run a lot better overall. It doesn’t turn off motion blur on fast-moving objects, merely the general blur from turning too quickly. Every other effect is kept on.

If you’re got a beefy machine, then the rotational blur should be gentle and subtle, though. The higher your framerate, the less blur there is. If you’re running pretty slow, grab it.

13. miscellaneous says:

OMGZ this is sooo unrealistic the lynx in that screenshot has not even been released to service yet…

• Dominic White says:

I know you’re being silly, but Bohemia have confirmed that Arma 2 isn’t set QUITE in the real world, hence the new countries and prototype/abandoned weapons being in active service. It’s just more interesting that way, really.

14. mkultra says:

I like the bit at the end where they tell me the game is fun.

15. jrod says:

bought arma 2 way back when… my PC at the time really couldn’t muster the power to make it run properly. Now that I have a much more beastly manshoot facilitator I will have to give this one another go!

16. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Yay! I’m going to have to buy the boxed copy, as I don’t think the steam versions will work with my boxed originals, but oh well.

Although, I’m playing that wonderful A-10C atm..
    Always time for one more sim I suppose.

17. jrod says:

★◎surprise ★◎SPAM!

emotionengine says:

This trailer demonstrated to me more than anything else that Bohemia Interactive should seriously consider investing in a new logo.

19. roryok says:

uh oh… I hope this isnt the beginning of something

20. roryok says:

Looks like they used slowmo footage of hussein bolt for all the character movement. Nobody really runs like that

21. Apocalypse 31 says:

The player movement in ArmA just kills me. It’s so sluggish and weird. Nobody moves like that in real life. Even with all of my gear on, in 125 degree weather I never moved like that.

Also – I’m done with ArmA until they expand on the ‘High command’ modual.

22. sidhellfire says:

The nineties called, they want their marketing assistant back.