Indevinitely: The Witcher 2 Dev Dev Diary

By Quintin Smith on April 21st, 2011 at 12:15 pm.

Geralt was never invited back onto Most Haunted.

That headline is short for “The Witcher 2 Character Development Developer Diary”. Yes. If you’d like to watch some guys from CD Projekt talking you through all the different ways you can develop protagonist Geralt, and all the different ways you can play and he can fight, they’re waiting for you right after the jump.

The Witcher 2 is going to be great. We know this because ever since Jim played the preview build, we here at RPS have had to put up with his near-constant pining for the finished game, which sounds like a cross between a lupine whimper and an Amiga 1200′s boot noise. May 17th can’t come soon enough.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Ricc says:

According to the diary, there is no saving on the hardest difficulty. Geralt’s death means the end of the story. That’s an awesome idea. :)

• westyfield says:

But what happens if I don’t want to play through the whole game in one go? I assume they mean it will delete the saves on death.

• Ricc says:

Ugh, right. That would be silly. Slight misinterpretation on my part then. Something similar to making all the saves unusable, I guess?

• Cinek says:

From what I understood watching the Polish original – you can save the game, but if you die all your saves from this play-through become useless.

IMO: Awesome idea. Something like an ultimate challenge. I love it!

• Wizardry says:

Never played a rogue-like before? It’ll probably work in the same way. It’s an awesome idea to include it in their game, but it’s not something that hasn’t been done before. BioWare and Bethesda should include it in their games, too.

• Outsider says:

I don’t know, inevitably, I’ll get stuck on a a piece of the landscape or my cat will jump up on my desk or something stupid and I’ll die 54 hours in. It’s a cool option, but there are too many ways to die that have nothing to do with the story or your playstyle or your decisions for me to try it out. I’ll leave that mode to the brave.

• Cinek says:

That’s what for they included regular Hard mode :)

• Outsider says:

Yup! I think the inclusion of the option is great, just won’t be utilizing it myself.

• Aedrill says:

@Outsider
      That should teach you to avoid cats at all costs. Cats are evil. And stupid.

• Wizardry says:

Yep. I would never use this mode in real-time games. Too many things can go wrong. Turn-based CRPGs, on the other hand…

• Outsider says:

@ Aedrill

Indeed. Odd how I can attribute so many deaths to a mere house cat.

• Ohle says:

As I understand it, that mode (Insane) only unlocks after you’ve finished it. And yeah, it deletes saves :)

• mwoody says:

I’ve long been a proponent of perma-death, but this strikes me as a little silly. Perma-death is for randomly generated games, so you’re not just sitting through the same crap a second time once you die. Having to play through 99% of a mostly linear game because your finger slipped during the final boss fight? That smacks of someone who doesn’t know much about game design.

I mean, sure, it’s just an option, but I don’t understand why it was even worth the time to code.

2. Dajs says:

I have to say I do like the design and art direction they took for the sequel, especially that skill tree looks rather awesome.

3. groghog says:

“HARPY TRAP: Trap. Effective against harpies”

4. Rinox says:

Looks amazing. Also interesting how they stress story and character development a lot in this talk, when other ‘RPG’ dev teams are talking to us about cool fights and kick-ass explosions.

• Cinek says:

You see, cause it’s not EA nor Ubisoft-related game. ;]

• PickyBugger says:

You say that but the first game had terrible character customisation and the story became incredibly confused. Just because it isn’t EA etc doesn’t mean it’s instant win…

• Aedrill says:

@PickyBugger
      What customization? You played Geralt of Rivia, the witcher, that’s it. But it’s not really an issue here. The point is that CDProjekt concentrates on the story instead of fighting (which doesn’t mean that they dropped fighting whatsoever, it just isn’t the main and only part of the game) and they’re showing it to us in every way possible. If you like the story or not is not important, it’s merely matter of taste. I’m just happy that there are people out there who still remember what RPG is about.

• Wizardry says:

Yep. So am I. But CD Projekt aren’t one.

• colinmarc says:

Wizardry – we get it, already! Cheese and crackers!

• Wizardry says:

I enjoyed The Witcher and I’ll most likely enjoy The Witcher 2. I just don’t really see how CD Projekt are focusing more on the story and characters than the likes of BioWare do with their marketing.

I’d rather see a CRPG developer tell us about actual game mechanics and interaction types than the story, dialogue, characters and how awesome and action packed the combat is.

• Aedrill says:

Well, I dunno… Maybe because they keep repeating on every single occasion, that the story in this game is the most important part of it? And that they’re doing all they can to avoid spoilers (with Dragon Age: Origins you knew what’s going to happen months before release. In The Witcher 2 you still don’t know what main quest will be about)? Of course they’re showing mechanics and fight. There’s no spoilers in that. And I’m fine with this approach – original Witcher was a proof, that CDP guys know how to write good stories, so we can trust them on this.

But you know, I’m not on a crusade here. Feel free to call The Witcher however you want.

5. Vague-rant says:

This is the reason I didn’t buy Portal 2; so I can buy this… And I don’t even know whether or not I can run it smoothly.

And for those who say you can buy more than one game in a month; No. No I can’t.

• Oneironaut says:

I skipped Portal 2 for the same reason, and I probably will have some FPS issues until I manage to upgrade my video card.

• Orija says:

Same for me. Brink and The Witcher 2 are respectively the multiplayer fps and rpg, I have been forever waiting for. For me, 2011 is one of the best years for video games.

• Aedrill says:

I’m spending 750 quid on new PC just to play this game (right now I have only laptop), so yes I skipped the Portal 2 as well.

6. CaspianRoach says:

Polish language sounds so awesome.

7. sonofsanta says:

want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want

(sorry, but i’ve not been this excited for a game for such a very, very long time. My only problem is where to buy it from: one the one hand, GOG will probably result in more money going CD Projekt’s way, and unlocks 3 days earlier than Amazon will release the game… but then Amazon is £2 cheaper, requires less HDD space for the download and features an actual real life map. If it was made of cloth it would be an instant buy there, but as it is I’m so undecided.)

(Plus I probably won’t get to properly sit down and play it until the 20th anyway, with that being the weekend and all)

(aaaargh)

8. Spakkenkhrist says:

I’ve only just started the first one and I’m enjoying it so far, not so much the regular crashing to desktop.

• Orija says:

is it modded? What patch version is it and try playing the game after ticking off Windows XP in the compatibility section. This game made me cry tears of blood the first time I tried playing it.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

It’s completely unmodded thus far I’m not sure which patch version it is but as I’ve only just downloaded it from eurogamer I think it’s up to date, I’ll give the XP compatibility fix a try thanks!

9. Dan Lawrence says:

Loving that A1200 boot screen, so many happy memories.

The Amiga was truly the emperor king of computer gaming devices. Great graphics and sound, great selection of gaming styles, great OS. What more could a man want back in 92?

10. Outsider says:

Hahaha!

11. terry says:

I enjoyed the particularly thoughtful utterances of the amiga disk drive, as if it was mulling each byte individually and slurping with approval. The only downside was when a disk had an error it would make an angry strident rhythmic burring, as if it had smelled an especially offensive odour :-(

12. Qjuad says:

I’m partly excited, but the combat honestly looks dreadful to me – it just seems really clunky. Plus, there is no weight behind any of the animations – he just kinda…twirls about and rolls on the floor. Alot.

I’m probably wrong, but it’s clearly going to be heavy on the action so I hope they get it right.

• Wizardry says:

I think The Witcher would work really well with turn-based combat with a Betrayal at Krondor view.

• Inarborat says:

All reports so far say the combat is actually very good. I’m there day 1.

13. colinmarc says:

The uploader has not made this video available in your country? =(

• Escalus says:

likewise :{

• Sacred says:

Indeed, no love for the US on youtube it seems. A quick google search turned up this video, which appears to be free of such restrictions.

• Urthman says:

They just know us Americans aren’t gonna sit though a foreign language film with subtitles. That would require that literacy thing people are always droning on about.

• Kevin says:

Where’s your “No Oceans”, now, John?

14. shoptroll says:

Is there a link to the video which isn’t region locked?

EDIT: Never mind!

15. Dhatz says:

it doesnt look like cutting with blade, I hate this lamery.
    I so want this not to be a empty game, but even the apathetic videos repel me.

16. Navagon says:

I’ve just pre-ordered it from GOG. I’m going to trust them to get 16:10 sorted out given that they’re saying they will.

17. bill says:

I got bored pretty quickly. Video is good for showing action and visuals – they could have put all this in print that i could have read in 30 seconds, instead of sitting through a 30 minute video…