Might Fight Right? SMITE Is… Announced.

By Jim Rossignol on April 21st, 2011 at 4:56 pm.

Oh, I. What.
Sorry, I’m really tired. But not as tired as DOTA-type gamers are going to be if they bother to play all the DOTA-inspired games that are coming out. Yes, another one has been announced. This time from Hi-Rez Studios. It’s called SMITE. Todd Harris explains: “”With SMITE, we draw inspiration from DoTA-style RTS titles, but leverage the Unreal 3 Engine to introduce original action oriented combat mechanics, great graphics, and a mythology-themed setting. These session-based games depend upon balanced class design, sophisticated stat-tracking, and matchmaking functionality.”

Not a whole lot more information that than right now. But wow, people really are trying to cash in on the DOTA audience. I am not sure what it is about it. Is it purely down to companies recognising that there’s a decent size number of players interested in this stuff? Or do all game dev CEOs secretly love DOTA? I suppose it’s the same as all the Counter-Strike clones a few years ago. But still, there’s a lot of stuff you could be inspired by to make new games. Truck Simulator, for instance.

, .

1. GT3000 says:

Dat flash site.

2. pakoito says:

inb4 Mojang DOTA game.

3. BigJonno says:

I’m intrigued. I like the concept of DOTA, but pointing and clicking just doesn’t do it for me.

4. mollemannen says:

DOTA is not a game. it’s a map!

shoptroll says:

Is anyone else starting to wonder how much longer the DOTA/MOBA bubble is going to run? It feels like we get a new MOBA game every month. I’d be very surprised if that genre isn’t over saturated by now.

• pakoito says:

Right now the real options are:

Real Deal Competitive/Harsh: Heroes of Newerth or future DOTA2.
      Casual, relaxed and fun: League of Legends
      Not a DOTAlike but fun still: Bloodline Champions

Everything else is bandwagon jumping.

• OpT1mUs says:

^this

I hate using “this” as a reply but here it goes:———^

• NightKid says:

The last thing I would classify as casual, relaxed, and fun is LoL … I mean, have you seen the way players at level 30 behave?

I get that at level 30 you might be expected to play better cause it proves you’ve been playing for awhile, but jesus christ, the namecalling that gets thrown about when you’re on a bad streak of luck or mistakes even puts the original Dota community to shame.

And that’s coming from a guy who was with Dota for 5 years.

• plasticsaint says:

League of Legends does have a lot of name-calling and the like… but it is “casual” and “fun” when compared to Heroes of Newerth which is 9001% worse.

DOTA 2 seems like it might actually end up with a decent community though… if not, I’ll just stick with League of Legends.

Petethegoat says:

Someone: what is DOTA? Why does everyone care?

• Mario Figueiredo says:

It’s a mod and a map for Warcraft III in which the typical resource management of RTS games is replaced by hero development, more akin to RPG. So it basically marries RPG with RTS and all but entirely removes resource management. This was sort of pioneered by Warcraft III introduction of hero characters and a leveling system. The mod community took it one step further with DotA (Defense of the Ancients).

It was quite popular back in the day, but I always felt it there was a certain herd behavior to it. A behavior that tends to mine many gaming communities (a similar thing can also happen to things people collectively say they dislike). Some people tend to speak wonders of DotA and either not be very specific about what they actually like about it, or say something that clearly demonstrates they never played it. Same goes for the detractors.

DotA was however limited to Warcraft III game engine and rules, for good or bad. And Warcraft III wasn’t a particularly mod-able game. So, as to yours question of whether you should care it will depend. If you find it interesting the possibility of playing a RTS-like game in which resource management is absent, but winning money through fighting in order to upgrade your small armies and level up your heroes is the thing to do, then you should probably care.

I find this concept somewhat interesting. I think Demigod was the first game of this kind to successfully inspire me. It should be selling cheap on Impulse. Maybe give that one a try and see what you think of this genre.

Petethegoat says:

That is a wonderful response! Thank you!

7. Rii says:

I know just how lightning-face feels.

BathroomCitizen says:

Hi-Rez, what are you doing?????
    GET BACK TO WORK ON TRIBES: ASCEND, DAMMIT!
    You mustn’t fail.

9. Jusola says:

This is kinda “good” news.,
    Why?: is they are going to do like LoL and BLC, give it out free but charge for champions.. that might force LoL and BLC to lower their prices to keep players. and thats good for all LoL and BLC players.

• pakoito says:

Or you can smack 30$ on HoN and never worry about having to spend money on heroes or grinding.

• AiglosCelt says:

Or fun

• draknahr says:

@AiglosCelt
      You beat me to it, HoN players never worry about trivial things such as fun…

10. Dawngreeter says:

I’m actually liking this. The sentiment isn’t really well formulated yet, it’s more than a bit foggy in fact, but I think this is good. I feel like this is heading towards an actual e-sport. Not, like, a game that’s played competitively but some kind of a distributed… thing. Like, there was the initial inspiration, then a multitude of development branches which will iron out the whole thing and perhaps in the next couple of years we’ll see a Grand Unification of sorts, where the central rules system will be held independently of specific local implementations, all of which will be mutually compatible.

My main issue with e-sports is that it usually is just a competitive game with a specific owner and developer. Like if football was a Nike-owned brand and they alone got to decide what to do with it. Diversity without central ownership, but with a strong standardized kernel, is what’s needed to have an actual electronic sport. I thought something like this would happen with the RTS genre at some point, but DOTAlikes seem to be much closer.

11. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

‘Leverage’ as a verb… yay!

12. Muzman says:

I’ve always wanted some sort of FPS/RTS combo game (or third person in this case). The idea of being in the action sounds really cool (I’d also like to see Total War type games where you have no choice but to manage the battle as a guy on a horse. Not necessarily the same thing though).
    But there haven’t been many like that. There were some mods for various games back in the day. They all seemed a little undercooked. Then there’s the Savage games. There was something missing from them too. I don’t remember clearly enough to say what I thought they needed.
    Balancing the player character and the RTS elements seems almost impossible to get right. But dammit I want people to keep trying.

13. paterah says:

Dota is a very popular game (map actually) and same goes to most games that come out of it. LoL and HoN for example are some of the most popular online games and both are daily on the top 10 on xfire (surely most don’t use xfire and neither do I but you get the point). Simply not recognising that Dota and dota-inspired games have a huge following is pure ignorance on your part, Jim and everyone else. I mean Valve is developing Dota 2 remember? You are disillusioned if you think CEOs “secretly love Dota” or that it’s the same case as the truck simulator or whatever. Dota has a huge following, face it. You don’t play it, it doesn’t matter.

14. godkingemperor says:

The whole competitve gaming thing is becoming big money, so everyone is building a DOTA game to try to get on it. Simple as that.

15. Reapy says:

I think I like the idea of DOTA games (note I’ve only played LoL), but it falls short in execution. The idea of a huge variety of characters to play, each with a few short abilities that play well together is cool. The idea of controlling one unit and learning to play/execute it well is nice. But man, when it all comes together, and the way you need to play to win/succeed, it just falls flat for me.

The mechanics of say last hitting mobs for $$ is sort of annoying and not fun. The way the fights happen seem to fast and chaotic, and sure I know you can manage it, but at the end they sort of feel like sped up MMO combat. I hate how if you fall too far behind or even have the wrong composition on a team you might as well just hit the quit button.

I liked what bloodlines champions is trying to do to the genera, but overall it just lacks ‘something’ which I can’t put my finger on.

I still like the idea of teams of varied champions fighting it out, I just don’t think fighting it out in creep lanes and leveling up is what they should be doing. I think DOTA is on the cusp of being it’s own thing, but nobody has quite tipped it over into whatever that is. It’s a shame too because I don’t think anybody is even trying that hard to find the sweet spot that’ll really push it into the spotlight.

16. Davie says:

They can create fifty billion DOTA variants if they want, but I have League of Legends, I payed no money for it, and I am happy.

17. icupnimpn2 says:

Did they “leverage” the Unreal 3 engine or did they just “use” it? What about the Unreal 3 engine makes it more or less ideal for a mythology-themed setting?

18. Sigma Draconis says:

Another DOTA-inspired game, but this one doesn’t sound so trite.

19. jon_hill987 says:

Is it just me that thinks Demigod is the only game of this type (so far) that got it right? Having fewer heroes and more maps makes the game much more interesting. I mean how different can 101 heroes really be?

• skyturnedred says:

Thatäs the problem with League of Legends at the moment. Only two maps, yet they still release new heroes every week. Latest new champs just have abilities copied from various champs before them. Even though the community keeps begging for a new map all the time instead of champs… but since it’s free to play, I’m guessing selling skins for champs is how they make money really, so more champs, more skins, more money (potentially).

• Noun says:

Demigod was good but it didn’t have enough content. A game with 10 different characters and 8 different maps and no persistent stats besides those favor items doesn’t have much replay value.

• Severian says:

I largely agree with this. As a former Demigod devotee who has now migrated to LoL, I can say that I wish there were fewer heroes in LoL. I grew to intimately know the various strengths and weaknesses of the Demigod heroes, which made tactical countering more possible and interesting. The 8 maps were plenty… except that everyone ended up only playing Cataract. And that was because the net-code was horrendous, making games with more than 3v3 near impossible most of the time. Sure, I played 4v4 a bunch of times, and even 5v5 – but it was almost expected that someone would drop, or that the game would crash. Zigurat was a great map, but it didn’t get nearly enough play time. So, ultimately, Demigod really only had 1 highly playable (and slightly imbalanced) map.

Another big problem with Demigod, esp. in comparison to LoL, was item balance. Health items were just so much more advantageous compared to anything else – health-stacking became the default item build for most characters, even “mages”. LoL has done a nice job making different item builds (armor stacking/AP stacking/crit-stacking/hybrid/etc.) viable, so that players don’t feel limited by the metagame.

So here’s hoping that DOTA2 (or some other) gets it just right.

• pakoito says:

They won’t, DOTA2/HON/DOTA goes for variety and they all share pretty much the same hero and item base so if you’re going to play you’d better start practicing.

Following your post I recommend you to keep with LoL or the next DOTA clone Alaplaya/Kongregate makes.

20. pipman3000 says:

smite night 2011

21. pipman3000 says:

ps: that’s not a mustache it’s his nose hair

22. cyrenic says:

re: The outbreak of DotA clones

I think companies are starting to realize how much money Riot is making with League of Legends. I would also suspect a DotA clone is pretty easy to make; at least the core stuff. One map, a couple dozen champions. Actually making it *good* though, that’s much harder (and that’s why a few devs have just copied DotA’s champions and mechanics).