The RPS Bargain Bucket: It’s Obvious!

By Lewie Procter on April 23rd, 2011 at 11:17 am.

Welcome to you weekly dose of download discounts, cheap games scoured from all of the internet, and brought to you in convenient list form. This week’s all about the hot preorders, and the thorny topic of region pricing bollocks rears it’s ugly head again. If you want to know when all the games are cheap all of the time, get yourself over SavyGamer.co.uk, and read on for this week’s Bargain Bucket.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings [Digital Premium Edition] – £20.41/€23.17/$33.71
Apply coupon “BUNNY”.
Direct2Drive are a funny old lot, they’re not averse to putting out some great deals, but they’re one of the worse digital distributions outlets for region pricing disparity. Often their best deals aren’t available to certain regions, and this weekend they have a storewide 25% off everything on the USA/UK site, but nothing on the EU one. Luckily some games are available worldwide from the USA store, and one such game is this rather cheap preorder for The Witcher 2. Jim got his hands all over a preview build of this last week, and it looks proper good.

Civilisation 5 – £12.15/€13.79/$20.07
Apply coupon “RABBIT”.
Registers on Steam.
Much like the above pricing nonsense, but this time the UK version is cheaper than either D2D USA or D2D EU. If you are in one of the countries that is not allowed to buy Civ5 at this price, you can always try to get someone else to buy it for you, and give you the serial to plug into Steam. This the cheapest I’ve ever seen this apart from that time is was available for ~£2 for about 15 minutes. Alec seemed a little on the disappointed side with this when he told us wot the thought about this, but whatever way you cut it, it’s still Civ. This offer is for today only, I think you’ve got less than 12 hours left on it in fact.

Opperation Flashpoint: Red River – £22.46/€25.50/$37.46
Apply coupon “RABBIT”.
My final pick of the deals using D2D’s 25% off coupons. There are loads of other good deals too, I’ve just picked these as being some of the best. Those crazy folk over at Codemasters have delayed the USA release date to June 7th “subject to change”, despite being already available in the UK and Europe. I wonder if torrent sites will show the same inability to share data internationally in a prompt manner. Quinns played a bit of this last month. Sounds alright to me.

Fate of the World – £6.68/€6.68/$8.03 (Direct from the developers), £6.69/€6.69/$6.69 (Steam)
Take your pick which way to buy it, the price is roughly the same (except in dollars). Quinns had this to say about it:

Fate of the World is, as an educational videogame, a masterpiece. I feel confident saying that now. The game’s structure of simply playing cards and seeing what happens next is a brilliant idea, executed wonderfully, and it’s brilliant because it’s so galling. The game sets out such a clear, crisp objective- stopping climate change- gives you a selection of wonderful policies to play with, and asks you if you know how to save the world. You do, of course. It’s obvious. It’s this policy, and that policy, and maybe this one too.

Sounds right up my street actually, I might give it a go.

Deal of the week
A load of EA games for cheap.
EA have lopped 50% off all of their PC downloads (excluding preorders), and there is currently a voucher for £10 off when you spend £25 or more. Get the coupon here (none of your information except email address needs to be accurate). You could get Dragon Age [Ultimate Edition], Dragon Age 2, and the free copy of Mass Effect 2 from DA2, for a total of £19.98. You could get Need for Speed: Shift 1 + 2 and Burnout Paradise for £17.47, or you could get Mirror’s Edge, Dead Space, Mass Effect, Shank & Crysis for £17.45. I’ve been unable to test this myself, but I gather that this sale is on in at least some other countries, so please share in comments if you can access these deals from where you are. Here’s the list of the highlights:

Dragon Age: Origins [Ultimate Edition] – £12.49
Shank, PC – £4.99
Mirror’s Edge, PC – £4.99
Burnout Paradise [The Ultimate Box], PC – £2.49

Buy Mirror’s Edge.

Also of note:
GamersGate Easter Sale
Six Good old Ubisoft games for cheap.

And for more cheap games all of the time, go to SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. B0GiE-uk- says:

Operation Flashpoint: Red River review at PCGamer = 45% AVOID THIS GAME!!!

• Po0py says:

They bollixed up the last pc release with non-existent support so I was never gonna buy this one anyways.

• CMaster says:

Wow, slating a game for being shockingly broken, followed by a <50% review score.
      It's like being back in the 90s!

• Starky says:

I know, I was expecting at least a 65-70 regardless of the words in the review.

• something says:

I kind of enjoy games with horribly broken AI. People always bemoan how realism takes the fun out of these games. Look at all the fun this reviewer had discovering the eccentricities of the game.

• Stranglove says:

Actually, I disagree with that review. The eurogamer one is much more representative of the actual game (Me, Sponge and Elesium all played some Co-op last night, it is extremely good fun)

• Buckermann says:

@something,

I think most “normal” people prefer to enjoy a game with a functional AI, not something which turns a man-shooty into some surreal puzzle game.

Joshua says:

[redacted for chillness]

• Bilbo says:

Red River’s one of the deals Lewie highlighted, Bogie took note that the game’s received mixed reviews and shared his migivings with you, the community. All above board. You came in swinging with WHAT THE HELL MAN IRRELEVANT ETC ETC, different story.

Think before you post, etc

Joshua says:

Missed that. Sorry. I geuss I also got fueled by me thinking the original “AVOID THIS GAME” was fueled by ARMA fanboyism, which, along with all the ‘consilification’ thing, is kinda getting on my nerves. I geuss I stared too long into the abyss. There’s still quite a few positive reviews on this game by the way, no need to go shouting “AVOID THIS GAME”…

• Bilbo says:

I think you’ve probably got fair cause to feel that way, a lot of us have been pretty unfair on red river for not being arma etc

• B0GiE-uk- says:

I’m not an ARMA fanboy, I prefer BF2 and all the COD games. Unfortunately for me I bought the original Op Flashpoint Dragon Rising before reading any reviews. The game sucked so bad I felt ripped off. And as from the reviews the new version seems just as bad which is why I posted a warning for everyone. They can read PC Gamers review and decide for themselves. Also from what I can gather Eurogamers reviews are pretty biased towards the developers so I usually discount them.

• Bilbo says:

I don’t trust Eurogamer any further than I can throw them, and as a purely virtual entity that ain’t far. I too was burned by Dragon Rising, and even though I got it in a steam sale for about £5 I still felt ripped off. That £5 would’ve bought a nice pint and a newspaper, which would’ve been far more enjoyable.

• Chris D says:

You know that all the RPS guys have written/still write for Eurogamer as well, right?

P.S. Congratulations on the new column, Lewie.

• Jim Rossignol says:

It seems better than Dragon Rising, to me. That’s not exactly saying much.

• Lewie Procter says:

@Chris D

Thanks!

• Bilbo says:

@Chris Yeah, that doesn’t stop me finding Eurogamer as a thing pretty lousy. They don’t write *all* of it, after all

• Spider Jerusalem says:

I played Red River a few days ago. Dreadful, awful, entirely not worth anyone’s time. The PC Gamer review is spot on.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

@ RPS guys

Is there going to be an RPS review of Red River? I am keen to know what you guys think. Found the PC Gamer one interesting, though some of the AI issues reminded me of a similar problem in Dragon Rising, which was solvable by knowing the right orders and ROE states. For example, ‘defend building’, and picking the right side of the building to apply it to, worked much much better than sticking your guys in said building and calling out suppression or fire orders. Made it feel a bit hit or miss, and TBH I needed to find a walkthrough to tell me that, but when it worked it was pretty good.

The Eurogamer review made the same point – “if you are having AI issues, you are doing orders wrong”. Is that a fair comment? Does the game give enough ‘training’ to help you figure out what orders to use? As I said, would be interesting to know what RPS thinks.

Coren says:

Regarding the EA sale: yesterday, I tried plugging in the coupon into the Belgian EA Store (which appears to be the only one accessible to me), and the promised £10 magically turned into 2.5€. You’ll agree that 2.5€ != £10, so I decided against buying anything.
    I tried again today, just in case, and the coupon apparently does nothing at all now. So this might be an UK-only deal, sadly.

In related news, Telltale Games have just announces their spring sale, with 50% off almost everything (excluding Back to the Future, Jurassic Park and Hector). I don’t really see the new prices yet, but I’m guessing they’ll show up soon enough:

• patricij says:

The TellTale one is disappointing… I was itching to get Back to the Future…oh well…

• LostSoviet says:

The new prices won’t be up. The discount is applied on checkout, below the coupon box (so theoretically you could combine it with a coupon for even more savings).

3. iLag says:

Not sure about this whole EA store thing. Here in the Netherlands there are a couple of discounts, some of them better, some of them worse than the UK prices. The voucher does not work. Might be different for other countries, but I suspect this deal is only interesting for you UK folks out there.

• iLag says:

anyone wants a EA voucher without giving away his email? try bog8u94et then.

• Xocrates says:

Yeah, voucher seems useless outside the UK, so feel free to use this one as well:

w73wevg9a

• bill says:

OUR JAPANESE CORRESPONDENT REPORTS:

No sign of any 50% off sale in the japanese ea store.
      But they will kindly let me buy Mass Effect for 27 pounds and Mirror’s Edge for 55 pounds.

So, frankly, even if they did a 50% off sale they could just fuck right off.

ahem. excuse the language ladies.

Martel says:

Seems to be the same issue for me here in the US. No 50% off sale, and the voucher is invalid. Oh well, can’t win em all.

Rinox says:

@ Bill

Is Easter celebrated in Japan the way it is in the West? Maybe that is part of the reason why the sale isn’t on in Japan.

• vagabond says:

We celebrate Easter in Australia and there’s no sign of a sale here. The base prices are also stupidly high here too. They want the equivalent of almost £60 for the Sims Medieval as the worst looking example, but the “base” price for most games appears to be $79.99 AU (about £52).

4. terry says:

Oooh, The Saboteur. Top of the morning to ye.

• Kadayi says:

Yeah bought. Albeit it didn’t set the world alight I was always interested to see the game in effect. The PC version never really got much of a promotion though. For £5 though I guess it’s worth a punt, but yeah the ‘Oirish’ is a bit strong.

• mod the world says:

I’m waiting for quite some time to get The Saboteur cheap, 6,99€ in the EA store seems ok-ish. BUT does it work now with ATI cards without bugs?

• terry says:

I believe there was a patch for the ATI issues, but I haven’t tried it as I’m on Nvidia, so caveat emptor on that one. The game is definitely worth the £5 though, the accents are hilarious and the gameplay is Assassins Creed crossed with ‘Allo ‘Allo.

• Dominic White says:

The ATI patch works fine. They fixed up the game pretty well, so yeah, go grab it.

It’s basically GTA + Assassins Creed + Mercenaries + Allo Allo, as mentioned. It’s a lovely combination, as you’re basically encouraged constantly to go on violent rampages, but as the target of your violence is a seemingly neverending horde of comicbook nazi scumbastards, there’s no moral qualms!

There are also few things funnier than just running up to a nazi APC, putting a remote bomb on the hood and detonating it just as the soldiers hop out to see what you did.

• Mark says:

Really fun game. Heard the PC version had issues, but if they have all been sorted it’s definitely worth that price.

• Alistair says:

I played the PC ATI version. All bugs fixed except for the map, which only works properly at certain resolutions. So you’ll have to meet Maurice somewhere, and a blue M will appear on the edge of your minimap and you’ll head off in that direction with that being as much guidance as you get… Unfortunately all of occupied Paris is apparently between you & him, so get used to driving up one-way alleys, bumping down the steps below Sacre Coeur etc as you struggle to zero in on your goal.

It’s testament to how much fun this game is that this didn’t bother me at all.

Vandelay says:

You can also pre-order Brink for £22.46 with the rabbit code on Direct2drive.

abhishek says:

Exactly what I did yesterday. I think this will be the cheapest pre-order price the game will get.

• Orija says:

Is a gifting mechanism akin to that of Steam possible on D2D because the site keeps giving me the ‘Country Restricted Error’?

Vandelay says:

I did ask in the forums whether D2D allows for some smuggling and it supposedly does (missed the deal on The Sims 3 though, so can’t confirm this.) You should be able to ask in the RPS Data Smuggling thread on the forums for some assistance.

Also might be worthing note for people looking for some multiplayer manshoots, Section 8: Prejudice is currently available from Steam for pre-order, with 10% off. That makes the already cheap £10 into the ever so slightly cheaper £9. Seems to be a slight issue with the game not appearing in peoples’ games list after pre-ordering, but it apparently should do once the game is released (no pre-loading then, unfortunately.)

6. iLag says:

I’d also like to point out that the awesome Blackwell games are heavily discounted on Gamersgate. Must-play for adventure fans? I think so! There’s also Dreamfall for 8,-€, which probably isn’t that cheap, but it’s not really discounted that often, so you might want to get it anyway.

7. MasterBoo says:

I pre-ordered the Witcher 2 from http://www.gog.com/en/page/tw2v3 a few months ago, but as far as I remember you do not have to actually acquire/pay for the game when it comes if you use this method. Can anyone confirm?

• iLag says:

yup, that’s what GOG said. “preordering it on our site doesn’t require you to purchase the game on our site, or at all. You will not be charged when the game is released”

• Mana_Garmr says:

Yeah, the FAQ on the preorder page says,
      “preordering it on our site doesn’t require you to purchase the game on our site, or at all. You will not be charged when the game is released.”
      so you should be fine there.

Edit: Ah sod, this is what happens when I continue browsing between typing my reply and submitting it.

• Latterman says:

GOG’s german translation is such a charming gibbirish.

• Delusibeta says:

Basically, the plan is on the May 10th GOG will send you an e-mail asking for money. If you pay up, you can claim your free game and start pre-loading The Witcher 2 in preparation for the release on the 17th. You can also ignore the e-mail, and let your pre-order expire (at some point around the end of May).

8. Mike says:

Seriously, buy Mirror’s Edge.

• DrGonzo says:

I would like to give an alternative opinion on the game. Its undoubtedly pretty, but also guilty of some of the worst level design to grace a game.

I really wanted to enjoy it. But found it to be terrible.

Devenger says:

I dispute this. The level design is far from perfect, but you can usually find where you need to go (there’s a button that, usually, faces you in the direction of the furthest visible location you need to reach), and the levels do accommodate some very satisfying runs (some of the earlier bits, running from gunmen, are really rather good, I feel). A game much better on your second or third playthrough, since you can vaguely remember the correct route, and thus focus on efficiency and elegance.

• Oak says:

It’s the worst game I’ll ever insist everyone play.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Let me guess, you disliked the level design because you “stopped too much and it didn’t flow”, yes?

Because that’s by far the biggest complaint of the game, and one that a lot of people I feel just get wrong. Yes, the game advertised itself as being parkour and yes, it was a bit misleading, but fast-paced parkour was NOT the focus of the single player campaign. It was actually a lot closer to a first person platformer, as evidenced by the numerous areas where the game required you to stop and think. And it was deliberate. If you take a look at the game’s soundtrack they literally call the music when you stop and think “Puzzle”.

I know a lot of people wanted to run in rooftops in fast-paced gameplay, were surprised it was nowhere to be found in the main campaign, and proceeded to call the game’s level design “bad” for that reason even though it really isn’t. The main campaign is straight up platforming. The fast-paced parkour is found in the “Race” mode, and there it works tremendously well. I found the level design on both modes to be really good for what they set out to do.

Unless, of course, you weren’t talking about the “stop frequently” level design, in which case my little rant was completely uncalled for :P

• DrGonzo says:

Without them colour coding the levels and giving you a button to see where you have to go you would always be lost. That’s not good design its a cop out. You are often killed author warning forcing trial and error. I can’t see anything good about the game other than the visuals.

As a game its nothing but pretty. I am not going to recommend a game simply because it has.nice graphics.

• yourgrandma says:

I played through the game the first time with color coding off. Made it a bit of a puzzle at some parts to get passed but it made it more enjoyable to me. Mirrors edge wasn’t a incredibly difficult game and didn’t take but a few tries to finish each area and it never felt like a tedious monotonous trail and error game by any means.

sendmark says:

I’m still going to get Witcher 2 from GOG, the money is going straight to the devs.

• Archonsod says:

Unfortunately the devs screwed that up by including novelty tat in the actual boxed version, so they’ll be getting my money via Amazon.

• Dominic White says:

The GOG version comes with a free game and a chunk of GOG store credit, which is better than silly pack-in tat.

• Vinraith says:

Hard copies win over ephemeral data every time, especially when they’re both DRM-free. Plus, map!

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

The retail version is not DRM-free. It uses SecuROM, and has either install-time or launch-time activation (they’re a little vague how it restricts playing “on up to five computers at once”): http://www.shacknews.com/article/68117/witcher-2-uses-securom-wont

I cancelled my retail preorder because of this news. Yeah, I won’t get the nice physical extras, but I’m unhappy enough with DRM with zero customer benefits that I won’t pay full price for it. I’m getting the game from GOG.

• Vinraith says:

@VelvetFistIronGlove

Dammit.

Thanks for the heads up, that’s almost completely in contradiction to what I’d read earlier, but this is more recent and more direct (and worse news) so I’m going to presume it’s true.

GOG it is, then. I’m not sure a purely digital version of the game is worth a full $50 to me, though.

10. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Also; Metro 2033 is only $14.99 on steam atm

• Xocrates says:

It was 5$ on gamersgate yesterday though.

By the way, can someone tell me how representative the start of the game is from the rest of it?

Because after playing for about an it doesn’t seem like an interesting game at all and I’m wondering whether it’s worth pushing onwards.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Mmm, 14.99 is the cheapest I have seen it for in my country, but then again, I don’t look that hard for specials, I tend to spend too much money :(.

The start is a bit slow sure, I am about 5 hours into it on normal and It has had my heart racing a few times, I find the atmosphere is great! But I only play it at night in a dark room so that might help a bit.

Definitely worth persevering with it imo. Needs at least 2-3 hours I guess.

• qrter says:

As far as I know, GamersGate has recently started selling games that use Steamworks – so that would mean the $5 Metro 2033 can be registered through Steam (it would have to be, in fact).

Rather large caveat: haven’t bought the game through GG myself, so I’m not 100% on this, but seeing as Killing Floor is now also available through GG and under DRM it says “Requires a 3rd party download and account”.. (Killing Floor is also 50% off at GG, btw)

• Archonsod says:

“(for those wondering, my problem with it so far is that it seems like someone tried to cram STALKER into a corridor shooter, so it has the slow pacing of STALKER, all the linearity and non-interactivity of COD, and worse combat than either)”

Depends how far you’ve got in. If you’re still supposed to be escorting someone to somewhere then you’re still pretty much in the on-rails tutorial section. After that it opens up a bit in much the same way as Deus Ex – linear levels, but multiple routes through them and you’re left to decide how to tackle them yourself.

Also note the game has two endings, and the way it works out which you get is incredibly clever indeed.

• Vinraith says:

@qrtr

Yes, like any Steamworks game the version of Metro 2033 from GG must be registered on Steam. I picked it up for $5 from them yesterday and my copy registered without incident.

• qrter says:

Ah, good on GamersGate for letting their Steam-snobbery go. Understandeable as it was, it just seems an untenable position for a shop of any kind.

• Xocrates says:

@Archonsod: That’s good to hear. I’ll try and persevere then.

EDIT: Yeah, the game started to feel much better after a while.

mpk says:

Did the thing with the EA voucher and got Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2 and Dead Space for £17.50. Can’t argue with that really.
    I’m in the UK, the voucher code worked fine, gave me £10 off although, oddly, I appeared to have used the Swiss store.

EDIT: Yeah, swiss. “Thank you for ordering from Electronic Arts Swiss Sàrl on 22 April 2011″

12. Jolly Teaparty says:

The Witcher 2 doesn’t work out at the price indicated on this page, as $7 of tax gets added at the final stage of the transaction. Still cheaper to buy at The Hut unfortunately.

13. thegooseking says:

Remember, if you buy or have bought Dragon Age 2, you only have one week remaining to claim your free copy of Mass Effect 2.

14. apricotsoup says:

Also of note at direct2drive, Brink; £22.46 with some pre-order cosmetics using the BUNNY promo code.
    Slightly cheaper than shopto.net which has it at £22.85 for a boxed copy.

And it’s been said to be a steamworks game so will register on steam.

15. MasterBoo says:

Er, The Witcher 2 from D2D asks me for validation by putting my phone number, but once I press “Okay” it fails immediately.

Devenger says:

Post them a support ticket about this and they should get back to you promptly. Their customer support seems to be pretty on the ball about this… I had this problem yesterday evening, wrote a brief ticket, and was told a few hours later that they’d sorted it out (“In order to protect your card from unauthorized internet purchases our system required a manual review by a human being in a random security sweep.”) – relatively painless, though still a hassle. Looking forward to Brink, now.

16. Sami H says:

Problems with The Witcher 2:

1) Firstly, the link above seems to redirect to the front page
    2) “BUNNY” code doesn’t work (“Your coupon or discount is not valid for the product in your cart.”).
    3) Applied the “RABBIT” one on the front page of D2D, and it drops the price to £23.63 rather than £20.41.

Sad panda.

Good catch on Brink – no reason not to buy it from the cheapest place going as you’ll always be able to D/L it through Steam anyway.

• Lewie Procter says:

It looks like it is redirecting you to the UK site from the USA site, so that is why the price is cheaper, they charge more on the UK site (even though UK people can buy from the USA site too).

Hit the USA flag at the top right to get it at the price I stated.

• Sami H says:

D’oh! Thanks for that – I look at that before but for some reason my brain registered the 2 flags as UK and Europe, rather than US and Europe. Guess it had switched to colonial mode again.

edit: US version adds $6.74 sales tax, taking it to $40.45, which is actually higher than buying it from the UK site :)

17. MaxNormal says:

Lots of Deals that don’t apply to NZ this time. I don’t mind Direct2drive but over half the games there won’t let me buy them. EA store promos do not happen in NZ either.

I do think it’s time that Lewie paid attention to Beamdog. They’re actually pretty good for a startup – the games are available worldwide, and prices can be pretty good.

It is the best place to buy the Precursors and Xenus II – they’ve packaged up the various fixes from the RPGWatch forums to vastly improve the out of the box game. Both games are half price this weekend – $15 US.

18. Coins says:

Question: Do the EA deals also plug into Steam?

19. Navagon says:

Thanks for pointing out the EA deal. Also worth noting is that you can get a 10% discount on orders if you refresh your browser while on the basket page. I don’t know if that works with other promo codes or not though.

20. JohnnyMaverik says:

A few Ubisoft games including the original Far Cry and Prince of Persia Sands of Time are dirt cheep on GOG, $5 per game:

21. Tams80 says:

I always look at these sales and think “yes, brilliant! I think I’ll buy that now”. Then I check Amazon and realise almost every time that I could get a new physical copy for either cheaper or only just more expensive. Waiting the few days for it to arrive is no problem; I’ve managed without so it so far. Of course with most of these, it isn’t reasonable for them to be priced much lower. In the end, I almost always never end up buying the game.

Indie games that aren’t released physically are a different matter.

Yes, I am still smarting from buying TF2 on ‘sale’ at £7 and then finding out that the Orange Box was being sold on Amazon new for £10 and a few pennies.

• patricij says:

Boxed copies are soooo 90s..

• Tams80 says:

NO. NEVER. You will never take my boxed copies away from me! *Hugs Age of Empires Gold Edition cardboard box*

22. ArcaneSaint says:

I’ve never heard of GamesrGate before, are they new?

• Vinraith says:

Gamersgate is a Paradox-affiliated (though not directly owned) digital distributor that’s been around for at least 5 years, since I bought Victoria: Revolutions from them back in 2006. Unlike Steam and Impulse it does not require a client, once you’ve downloaded and installed your game it never has to check in with Gamersgate again. It also has one of the easier backup systems, since it downloads all the install files and then installs them so it’s easy to back up the installer. It’s actually my favorite of the new games retailers (ideally everything would be sold on GOG and DotEmu DRM-free, of course, but that’s not going to happen).

They also have a lovely system where every purchase nets you 5% of your purchase’s value back in store credit. Shop there a lot and you’ll end up being able to pick up free games pretty regularly.

Anyway no, it’s not remotely new, it pops up in the bargain bucket pretty much every week in fact.

• Lewie Procter says:

Aye, GamersGate are definitely reliable, been around for ages.

Joshua says:

They also have pretty awesome support. The site is run by a few gamers who decided to start making money out of their hobby, and they are quite succesfull.

• ArcaneSaint says:

No no, I know Gamersgate. I was asking about gamesrgate mentioned at the bottom of the article. quote: “GamesrGate Easter Sale”

• sinister agent says:

Gamersgate have quickly become my downloady place of choice after gog.com (and they beat gog in some ways by having a different remit). They have regular sales, a great selection from all the big names down to very obscure or old things that are often worth throwing a few quid at, their DRM varies (by publisher, as I understand it), but they lean towards the good side. And I’ve twice done very stupid things with my account, and when I asked them about it, they fixed it immediately, with a friendly (but professional) manner and no complaints or hassle.

And I normally hate ‘loyalty’ or ‘reward’ schemes, but their blue coin thing is non-intrusive and will bag you a free game of your choice occasionally. Can’t fault them, really.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Internet sarcasm is really useful.

• ArcaneSaint says:

Was that sarcastic?

• Sassenach says:

Just pedantic, I think.

• rivalin says:

funny

Do you see what I did there?

23. arioch says:

I would totally recommend to anyone to pick up Civ 5 when its on sale.

The patches that have been released recently really have turned it into a proper civ game.

Its not quite upto Civ 3 or 4 just yet, but its getting there.

• Vinraith says:

I’m confused. Since Civ games are essentially iterative, if it’s not as good as Civ 4 why would I want to play it?

• Zenicetus says:

@ Vinraith: The switch to one unit per tile is a big improvement, also the move to hexes (now that the AI is getting better at handling it). Stacks of Doom never made sense to me. Some people don’t like the absence of religion now, but I think it’s better this way.

Anyway, it’s not just Civ IV in a prettier dress. Not everyone likes the changes, but I think it works. Diplomacy and combat AI still needs some improvement, but it’s much better than it was on release. I think Civ 5 is starting to be a pretty good game at this point in the patch cycle.

• Nick says:

they took out most of the civilisation managment thing but added bad hex combat, apparently thats better (not that stacks of doom were good, but meh).

• Thants says:

Alpha Centauri is still the best Civ game.

• Baka says:

Drone Riots.
      Drone Riots.
      Drone Riots.

• Lewie Procter says:

@Thants
      Interesting you should say that. I’m inclined to agree.

24. Talorc says:

*AUSTRALIAN EA STORE PRICES*

Dear EA, you know we were allied with the yanks in WWII right? I think we are even helping you out with your little war on terror thing you have going on in the “stan” as well. We even let Oprah into the country to film some special (instead of locking her up like we do with all the other boat people) AND we let you keep Nicole Kidman on a timeshare basis.

So why you got to hurt us so bad? Was it all those Crocodile Dundee movies? or *gulp* Young Einstein? (sorry about that)

Dragon Age 2 = AUD$79.99 (US$85.92 / GBP 52)
    Bulletstorm = A$79.95 (US$85.92 / GBP 52)
    Dead Space 2 = A$79.99(US$85.92 / GBP 52)
    Medal of Honour Digital Deluxe = A$83.68 (US$89.89 / GBP 54.42) (special promo price!)
    Dragon Age ultimate = A$59.99 (US$ 64.44 / GBP 39)
    Sims Medieval = A$89.99 (US$ 96.67 / GBP 58.53)

I couldn’t be arsed looking at any more, I think a pattern is established….

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Come on now, what was wrong with Young Einstein?

• thegooseking says:

Why are they so expensive? I mean, really. Why?

I know the AUD is worth more than the USD right now… Didn’t it used to be worth a lot less? Maybe the price conversions are still using that old rate. Two years ago, those prices would have been about right. But, really, that was two years ago.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Yes, this is rubbish.
      Also we should be sending the boat people back!
      Maybe it’s the accent-and/or the late steve irwin
      EDIT: AUD is slightly up against the USD.. so repeat, why?

• Delusibeta says:

Because everyone else charges Australians more, that’s why.

• Lewie Procter says:

Or put another way “Because they can and because doing so makes them more money”.

drewski says:

Videogame sales, like most things on this world, are based at the price point at which they generate the most revenue for the seller.

Because for years Australian gamers had to accept a weak dollar and publishers accounting for that, plus of course shipping, in their Australian prices, the Australian gaming market has grown to accept games at a certain price point – around A$90 for new PC gamers, A$100-120 for new console games. Even though the dollar is now very strong, because the market will bear the higher price as it is used to it, there is no incentive for publishers and retailers to lower prices.

Given the Australian and NZ governments have made parallel and “grey” importing legal for personal, low value use for a long time now, there is little reason not to order videogames from overseas. PC games are, obviously, largely region free and most modern European console games will happily work in all PAL regions such as Australia and New Zealand.

25. Wulf says:

B-bu-but… I already own Mirror’s Edge! D: …can I buy Cargo again instead? :P

26. mwoody says:

Old-school style RPG Eschalon, books 1 & 2, on sale for $7.50 and $10 (half off) on D2D.

The only halfway decent deal at the EA Store in $ – if you can make yourself buy from that crappy place – is half-off Sims Medieval, at $25. RPS did a Wot I Think that was overall kinda positive but didn’t snag me, but someone else might bite. The game isn’t on Steam for… some bizarre reason, I dunno, but it means you might not see a better price.

• iLag says:

be careful though – you need a lot of patience for the Eschalon games. a lot. some bloody glaciers are faster paced than those games. however, they are quite good otherwise and the prices are more than fair.

• malkav11 says:

Amazon’s got a download version of Sims Medieval for $25 also, and I believe that, like most sensible digital retailers, their policies allow you to redownload indefinitely, unlike EA’s store.

• ManaTree says:

The EA Store lets you redownload indefinitely. They used to expire, but they don’t anymore.

• LostSoviet says:

Look again – there’s a 33% off RPG titles deal. You can get Dragon Age 2 for $40 instead of $60, and you won’t even need to go anywhere else for your free Mass Effect 2.

• malkav11 says:

As far as I can tell EA Store policy has not changed. You get a year of redownloads, more if you pay extra. True, they don’t seem to be actively expiring download rights, but why take the risk when you can get the same deal elsewhere?

• ManaTree says:

No, the policy has definitely changed. I remember a previous RPS post talking about how the policy has changed but the text still hasn’t. I’m very sure of this, I actually use EA Downloader (as much as it counts for).

I am inebriated. My head hurts. But I know that EA has in fact changed their policy despite what they themselves are saying.

• Delusibeta says:

Seconding the “EA allows infinite re-downloads” comment. I’ve registered Red Alert 3 to my EA account well over a year ago, and it’s still available for re-download.

27. Fumarole says:

While it is not a sale price, Desperados is now being sold at GOG for six bucks.

• terry says:

Did they really use “more challenging than Commandos” as a positive thing? My word, I’m not sure that’s even possible.

• Pemptus says:

It’s also much, much better than any of the Commandos.

28. sinister agent says:

I hate you Lewie. I hate you. You make me unable to talk myself out of buying things. This is not an easy thing.

I hate you.

29. Corrupt_Tiki says:

None of those codes work for us in NZ or AU :/ Maybe a blessing in disguise as I need more resources, but still, a tad disappointing in it’s own right, Crysis 2 would be sweet for 20-30$.

Also is the EA store like GfWL? Where you have to be online/signed in to play your games, and they are forever attached to that service? (Like steam I guess?)

• Delusibeta says:

No, you don’t have to be online to play the games. Although, yes, the downloads are attached to your account. I’d probably compare the EA store with Gamersgate, to be honest: they enforce a (surprisingly quite good these days) client for downloads.

30. thegooseking says:

I’m disappointed as hell in EA for having an Easter sale in the EA Store and completely missing the opportunity for an “EA Store / Easter” based pun.

31. suibhne says:

Those EA prices in the US are totally unremarkable compared to Steam sales and/or current Amazon prices – I don’t see a single one that’s a good deal. Considering that the EA Store locks you in and doesn’t offer lifetime re-downloading (unless that’s changed?), I don’t see any reason to get excited. Maybe things look better from the UK or Euro perspective.

Re. The Saboteur: Amazon’s current retail price is only $4.99 Stateside! That’s for the boxed version, almost $10 off their downloadable version and a full $15 less than the EA Store’s “sale”.

EDIT: Oops, that’s not Amazon’s price at all – it’s a third-party retailer. Still a great price, but doesn’t look like it’s eligible for Amazon’s standard shipping rates. Amazon Marketplace rates apply, which means no free shipping. (Price still comes to under $10.)

• Lewie Procter says:

If you can show me somewhere that has Mirror’s Edge, Dead Space, Mass Effect, Shank & Crysis for less than £17.45 total, I will rename next week’s bargain bucket “The Suibhne Bucket”.

32. Escalus says:

half expected “fate of the world” to be misspelled “fete of the world” :3

33. DeepSleeper says:

So what happened to those bargain blogs that were LIKE Savygamer except not horrible?

There was one called Digital Distribution Deals, and that shut down. And there was one other one, and the guy who hosted it used to post in the weekly bucket until he got shouted down for not being the Officially Sanctioned RPS Site. What was that one?

• iLag says:

The second one was bansama’s Didimatic (http://didimatic.com), which – strangely enough – got its own RPS post after being shouted down (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/28/didimatic-easy-way-to-follow-steam-sales/). It is constantly improving, has a nice forum and might get an additional blog-thingy for covering all those deals it didn’t cover before (indie stuff, smaller digital distributors, free stuff… those kind of things) soon-ish. Glad to report that I’ll be taking care of that part (which makes this even more interesting, since I used to write for DDD. Small place, this internet.)

• LostSoviet says:

Tooting my own horn: dddeals.blogspot.com. My format is pretty much identical to SavyGamer – I see a discount and make a blog post about it. I specifically focus on digital distribution, though.

There’s also Deals 4 Downloads, Steam Game Sales, and Shocked Fish, if you want sites that aggregate discounts into a list.

• MaxNormal says:

@DeepSleeper – Digital distribution deals is still going strong at http://dddeals.blogspot.com/ The author is RPS commentor LostSoviet if I remember correctly. It has a narrower focus – digital PC games only.
      He makes a point of pointing out any regional restrictions when he knows about them which is very helpful.

• iLag says:

@MaxNormal nope, that is another DigitalDistributionDeals. that one is also quite good and LostSoviet is doing a stellar job with quick updates (hats off to the competition!), but DeepSleeper is referring to another one (how many things called DigitalDistributionDeals are there? google just gave me 140.000 results. oh well, easy to mix them up, I guess)

• Giaddon says:

There’s also shocked fish:

Which just lists everything in a searchable format, no extras.

• DeepSleeper says:

@MaxNormal, I was thinking of the one that used to be at the Robothobo domain. But I’ve bookmarked the one you linked to as well, as a kind of substitute puppy. It will not replace the old one, but it is still cute.

• LostSoviet says:

Thanks for mentioning the blog, guys. You beat me to it because my own reply is still awaiting moderation.

34. The Magic says:

The only place I’m buying The Witcher 2 is GoG

35. ManaTree says:

So…I’m guessing the EA store deals isn’t as good as in the U.S. I don’t see the same discounts. :(

Also, are Bioware points counted in this? I’ve been meaning to pick up some ME2 DLC…

• ManaTree says:

Okay, never mind, I actually read the post. Just EA games. Here are the current sales, according to their US store. All prices in $.

The Sims 3 19.99
      The Sims(TM) 3 World Adventures Expansion Pack 14.99
      The Sims(TM) 3 Fast Lane Stuff 9.99
      The Sims(TM) 3 Late Night Expansion Pack 19.99
      The Sims(TM) 3 Outdoor Living Stuff 9.98
      The Sims™ 3 Barnacle Bay 15
      The Sims Medieval(TM) 24.98
      The Sims™ 3 Deluxe 29.99
      Ultima Online™: Stygian Abyss™ (Account Upgrade) 10.04
      Ultima Online™: Stygian Abyss™ (New Account + 30 Days of Game Time) 13.39
      Dragon Age(TM): Origins 20.09
      Dragon Age™: Origins Digital Deluxe Edition 16.74 (Why is the Deluxe edition cheaper than the original?)
      Dragon Age(TM): Origins – Awakening 20.09
      Dragon Age(TM): Origins – Ultimate Edition 26.79
      Dragon Age(TM) II 40.19
      Mass Effect 13.39
      Mass Effect™ Pinnacle Station 3.35
      Mass Effect 2 13.39
      Mass Effect™ 2 Digital Deluxe Edition 26.79
      FIFA Soccer 11 39.95 (AMAZING, DOWN FROM 39.99! WOOOOO)
      FIFA Manager 11 19.99
      Dead Space™ 2 31.90
      Dead Space™ 2 Collector’s Edition 75.41
      Create(TM) 13.18
      Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows(TM) – Part 1 9.98
      Need for Speed(TM) Hot Pursuit 14.95
      Medal of Honor™ 14.99 (Wow, that is one hell of a price drop since release.)
      Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning® RvR Pack – Full (Progression / Personality) Code 9.99
      SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED(TM) 39.99
      Bulletstorm(TM) 41.99

Not a nice 50% that you UK chaps have. I may have to buy through a person in the UK for a change…that doesn’t happen very often (I also have that voucher).

• Xanadu says:

Has anyone found Bioware points reduced in this EA sale? Google got me excited with:
      This weekend only get Bioware Pts 50% off exclusively at EA Store!
      eastore.ea.com/Easter-Sale
      But I couldn’t find them at the link, so thought it might be a region thing. Shame.

• Delusibeta says:

Nope, points of all flavours are explicitly excluded from the 50% off deal. Dunno about the “£10 off when you spend £25″ code.

36. green_genes says:

Crysis 2 is 30% off at Direct2Drive right now.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Yeah, for me, you know, because I’m an Australian, and therefor a criminal, it is down from $59.95 to $55.93 How can you afford to not buy it?!

37. LostSoviet says:

Beamdog is running a GFI Blowout sale. The new discounts include 50% off The Precursors and Xenus 2 White Gold, each of which also has a free “fan improvement pack” available for download.

Strategy First has an email newsletter coupon for the complete naval combat pack. Using “NAVALPACK” on checkout will net you 75% off 688(I) Hunter-Killer, Dangerous Waters, Fleet Command, and Sub Command.

Green Man Gaming is having a spring sale. The 50% off Introversion promo (Defcon, Darwinia, Multiwinia, and Uplink) is probably the most interesting part. There’s also a ton of unconnected deals that are hard to spot and track thanks to GMG’s recent site redesign.

(I have a blog where I track digital distribution deals as I find them.)

38. Zenicetus says:

Yes! I’ve been filling the gaps in my hanger with this weekend sale. The price to upgrade from the demo is also on sale — $29.99 for the ICE version with more planes, or just $19.99 for the game with the basic starter set. This is probably the last big plane sale before they release the Career Mode update. Here’s the home site: http://riseofflight.com/en

Below is a link to details on the new Career Mode (coming in the next patch, I think). This should attract more flight sim junkies than the current version, which is somewhat limited unless you’re into multiplayer fights:

39. Droniac says:

Actually nearly every game on D2D UK is available worldwide or in the vast majority of Europe. It effectively makes their EU site completely redundant, because every game on there is available at a lower price in the UK store and that same UK store has a games catalog that’s like four times larger.

I’d also like to give my vote for BRINK, which totally should’ve been a highlight in this post!
    Pre-order it on D2D UK with the rabbit code. It’s a steamworks game so it’ll download and install on Steam, and it includes a few pre-order goodies for whoever cares about that. More importantly it’s looking to be the best FPS this year, bar none. All the hands-on previews are overwhelmingly positive and it’s SD!

And Might & Magic: Heroes VI might be interesting for fans of the franchise. The pre-order is much less expensive on D2D than anywhere else with these easter discounts. Although I’m not sure whether it’ll actually be any good…

As for The Witcher 2: I wouldn’t get it on D2D simply because GOG.com still offers the better deal. It may be full price at GOG.com, but it comes with 1 free game, store credit for 2-3 additional games (in non-UK Europe), no DRM, the usual goodies, and a 200+ page PDF art book. That’s more than worth the marginal price difference imo.

40. Tengil says:

I think the game worked well when the platforming was relatively plane, but any level with a lot of vertical movement quickly turned into an annoying exercise in trial-and-error that completely broke any semblance of flow.

41. Kaltor says:

Has anyone purchased Witcher 2 with the promotion code from somewhere in the EU? Would/could they even help if I tried to contact support because my phone number verification didn’t work?

42. nps says:

So, EA Store in Russia looks like this (with 50% sale):
    Sims 3 – 10 GBP
    Sims Medieval, Shift 2 – 10 Euros
    Crysys 2, Dead Space 2, Bulletstorm, Mass Effect 2, NFS Hot Pursuit, BF: Bad Company 2, FIFA 11 – nearly 10 USD
    Mass Effect – 5 Euros
    Dead Space, NFS Pro Street, Shank – 5 USD
    Mirror’s Edge, Burnout – 100 RUB (2.45 Euro)

43. mattyjw says:

It’s nice to see D2D laziness in action leaving CitiesXL as the deal for anyone not on the wrong side of the pond.

44. trjp says:

It’s a long-standing bargain but Drawn: The Painted Tower (and it’s sequel Dark Flight) are discounted at Big Fish Games (£5.39 each) AND there’s a 50% off your first game if you’re a new customer

There’s also a Collectors Edition of Dark Flight but the discount code doesn’t work for that.

They’re puzzle point-and-click adventures and they’re GORGEOUS to look at and perfect to play – I can’t recommend em enough if you like that sort of thing (both well under £10 for new customers).