Baffling Yars’ Remake Now Available

By Jim Rossignol on April 26th, 2011 at 10:20 am.

Atari’s remake of classic weird-arcade home console game Yars’ Revenge is now available. The original pecking fly vs forcefield thing game has been reimagined as an Anime-style on-rails shooter. Why that is, no one seems to know. But there it is.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. trjp says:

I tried the 360 demo for this and it was – erm – erm – inexplicable in many ways.

I love (semi) on-rails flying shooters (Rez, Panzer Dragoon) – I games with multi-target lockons (Omega Boost) – but this just didn’t click at-all.

The controller setup needed 16 fingers, enemies were simply DRIPPING from every corner or a level making you wonder what to shoot first and the weapons felt and sounded poor.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, it’s pretty pants. Any fan of the genre needs to play Sin & Punishment 2 on the Wii right now, though – easily the best game in the genre since Starfox 64. Probably my all-time favourite now.

• Delusibeta says:

Yeah, I’ve also heard it compared (unfavourably) to the Sin & Punishment games. If you have a Wii, I recommend buying the first one off the Virtual Console, and tracking down the second would probably be a good move.

• Dominic White says:

‘A good move’ is an understatement. It’s one of the biggest, flashiest, most high-budget games Treasure have ever produced.

Naturally it sold about 5000 copies worldwide. Ffffffuuuuuuu-

• Delusibeta says:

Although, to be blunt, that’s probably par for the course for a Very Japanese game. I’d imagine your average Arc System Works game sold similar numbers to Sin & Punishment 2 in the UK.

[Edit] A quick bit of research on VGChartz suggests I may be overestimating Arc System Works’ sales. To compare apples to apple-like-things, the Wii version of Guilty Gear XX sold about 6,000 copies world wide, while Sin & Punishment 2 sold about 250,000 copies. To be fair, the former is a PS2 port, and Arc System is probably happy enough with Blazblue’s relative success (Calamity Trigger PS3: 500,000 copies).

• Alextended says:

Lol, VGChartz.

• Urthman says:

Both Sin & Punishment and Sin & Punishment 2 are fantastic rail shooters. The level design, the character design, the spectacle are all amazing. I’m really surprised they haven’t been more popular.

2. amandachen says:

Am I the only person here who played the original?

• Zogtee says:

No, I’ve played the original. That was pants too, imo. So everything is different, but still the same somehow.

• Jason Moyer says:

The original was one of the best games of that era, maybe the best non-Activision game for the 2600.

• Wulf says:

Yeah, the original was pretty fun for its time period. If you’ve played it out of its era then of course it’s a bit pants, but for the time it was really quite fun.

It was also an artefact of the bold craziness of that era, which I really kind of miss, because even indies these days seem to be afraid of that, and everyone seems to be on the familiarity bus, trying to dumb things down and over-familiarise them out of the worry that a more alien and unfamiliar game might flummox our tiny gamer minds and alienate us, because we’re dumb like that.

This is no exception.

It’s why I was overjoyed to see Cargo, really. Yes, it did flummox some gamers, but I felt that that was the minority going by the reception, which just proves that you can do utterly crazy (without even being artsy) shit and that can be fun. You don’t have to turn everything into something familiar, and there are some old games… well, I’d weep if they were exposed to this sort of treatment.

Still, this is disappointing. It’s pants, yeah, but that isn’t the only reason why this game is an utter disappointment.

Perhaps they should have used this as their inspiration?

Foosnark says:

Of course I played it. HSWWSH and all that.

• Bobtree says:

I played it but was too young to really get it back then (in the mid 80s).

• Ribonizer says:

It was one of my all time favourite Atari game~ Of course I was 6 then, but hey, I still knew a good thing when I saw it.

3. Atic Atac says:

I was actually looking forwards to this…I love games like Rez, Panzer Dragoon and Sin and Punishment. This game is not like those game at all. It should be a lesson in how not to do things in game design. In the first few minutes it blasts you with gazillion different control schemes you have to be aware off and you need 4 hands and probably 2 brains to be able to control it. It has a more complicated control and scoring scheme than a complicated Cave shooter like ESP Galuda, who seems tame in comparison. Sad, because this showed promise, but ends up as an absolute fail.

I like my shooter games complicated and difficult but where this fails is that the difficulty comes from the terrible control scheme and not the game itself.

Also, western developers should never, ever, ever, ever do an anime style game. It’s just an instant fail.

• Dominic White says:

The problem with it being primarily a 360/PS3(?) title is that the controls are designed for something with slow aiming and a lot of buttons. Sin & Punishment 2 works gloriously well because the basic shooting controls are dead simple, but all the finesse is in the movement (via analogue stick) and aiming (via pointer). When you’re playing a pure, simple arcade game, you need pure, simple controls. They failed to deliver that.

4. BobsLawnService says:

It’s called raping your childhood memories for fun and profit. OK, maybe not the fun part.

• Wulf says:

This happens entirely too often for my tastes, turning something that was at least a little bit interesting into something more generic. It’s like there are people who’re combing over stuff, looking for stuff that might be a touch too intellectually challenging, and removing it.

You know, this reminds me of an old, old PC Zone article about Little Big Adventure and how it was called Twinsen’s Odyssey in some parts of the world. Their response was pretty much that someone likely thought that the name was a “god damned paradox” and struck it from the box for being too odd, settling for the entirely more mundane Twinsen’s Odyssey instead.

I remember thinking to myself back then that this was all a passing trend, that we’d see less of this sort of thing eventually and people would come to their senses.

Little did I know that those were the first hints of something far, far worse. :|

And that said, now I want to see Little Big Adventure 3 happening. I really, truly want to play Little Big Adventure 3. The first two were so, so good.