FEAR 3 is Afraid Of Being Released Just Yet

By Alec Meer on April 27th, 2011 at 1:08 pm.

She's back and she still hasn't washed her hair!

If you were planning on being either a Pointy Man or a ton of Fettel this time next month, make a sad face now. The third full game in the now long-running series about man-shooting and women-fearing has backed down from its planned release on May 27, for reasons we may never know. Although the line (as given to OXM) is so “more time can be spent on optimisation in order to provide the best experience possible.”

Various pundits have speculated it may also be related to a fear (ahahahah) of Rockstar’s latest console-only opus L.A. Noire landing just a week before and potentially sewing up the charts as Red Dead Redemption did around this time last year. If true: cowards! Sensible cowards! FEAR 3′s original date was also just 10 days after the Witcher 2, which every PC gamer in their right mind should spend most of next month playing.

__________________

« | »

1. magnus says:

I’m looking forward to this as I really liked F.E.A.R. 2 , still the sequel should have been call First Assault Recon Team, that would have got BLOPS fans sitting up and taking notice.

2. Hatsworth says:

I was happy when I found out Monolith wasn’t developing it. Because it makes my dreams of another NOLF seem slightly more tangible. Of course I’m probably just setting myself up for disappointment.

• Springy says:

Is there any word about what Monolith are working on right now, or is it still under wraps? I doubt it’ll be a new NOLF because as much as I adore NOLF I can’t see that selling enough, so I hope that whatever they’re doing is at least a new IP. Something colourful please, I’ve had enough of the grime and shadows in FEAR and Condemned.

• PatrickSwayze says:

NOLF? pah, gimme some Shogo 2!

• magnus says:

Shogo 2? Good call!

• ResonanceCascade says:

Last I heard, no one really knows what Monolith is up to.

I agree that some NOLF or maybe a new IP from the guys would be very welcome. They’re one of the best FPS devs going.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I believe the last thing they released was some FEAR 2 DLC in 2009 and they’ve been quiet ever since. There’s a rumour they’re working on another Condemned, but that’s it. Considering their release schedule in the past, this could mean we’re either getting another 2 game year, something big (an MMO?) or there’s some sort of trouble.

3. Tei says:

I think is time for the ghost-women-person in FEAR to get a boyfriend.
    I know she is angst, and ghosty, and gothic, and like to scare people for no reason. But she will really grow as a person-ghost-women if have a boyfriend.
    Maybe a fratboy.

Wall.. thats what I feel.

• CMaster says:

@Tei
      You do know the whole reason she is angsty is rape as a child, right?

• Springy says:

Really? I thought the child-like Alma was just her mental projection of herself, and the real deal was an adult woman. I didn’t know how her two sprogs were conceived, but I don’t remember the game telling me it was rape. Rather, it was the whole ‘taking babies away from their mum’ bit that tore her up.

Wait, I just realised the whole story is bollocks. Disregard everything I said.

• quantum36 says:

actually she kind of did find a boyfriend in the 2nd one. Well for what it’s worth she did get knocked up in FEAR 2

• magnus says:

Well I hope Alma doesn’t go all ‘Emo’ that would be just horrid!

4. poop says:

i hope this game never comes out

5. CMaster says:

Fettle is really nice, although a lot milder than the Feta it is based on.

6. Stevostin says:

” Witcher 2, which every PC gamer in their right mind should spend most of next month playing.”

It would take a game drastically better than the first one for me to do this. Curious how Witcher is highly regarded by RPS while Fallout New Vegas didn’t make it to the christmas top. IMO FNV is hand on the best RPG since a heap of time while witcher is a pain to play. The three things that drastically turned me off were the fights (awful character animation and cheesy TPV), the importance of potions (you’re goof because your drugged and you farmed) and to force me play an albino chippendale that may have been an exciting hero when I was 14. And the art direction was clearly lacking taste to me.

• svge says:

What are the similarities between Geralt and a chippendale pray tell?

• jplayer01 says:

Huh, weird. Meanwhile, New Vegas felt wholly uninspired and boring. How often do we need to do the post-apocalyptic world? Oh, and then there’s the uninvolved story with the pacing and subtlety of a one legged dog. But don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t a fan of the first Witcher either.

• Stevostin says:

My english is what it is but overall I felt like Geralt was a character for middle age single woman. This isn’t that bad (really few games have truly entertaining protagonist) but let’s say a RPG that forces you into one kind of character has forgotten the “Role Playing” part of RPG.
      @jplayer01
      About FNV : don’t make us count, there are certainly way less post apo RPG than any other kind (med fan, sci fi…) and besides, complaining about Fallout being post apo is a bit like complaining Mario Kart to be a racing game.
      That being said I perfectly understand some prefer Witcher to Fallout. But a lot of people / sites really thought FNV as a landmark into RPG. No other game that I know ever offered so much choices and way to make the story your very own story. The consistency and depth of the relations between NPC reaches a level yet unseen AFAIK. For me saying that there’s a “before” and an “after” FNV in term of video game storytelling is an objective statement that doesn’t require to even like the game. So I am surprised some people are missing that. A lot of people will now compare every new RPG to FNV in term of depth and consistence.

7. Turin Turambar says:

There is no need of fight. The Witcher was the best RPG of 2007, The Witcher 2 one of my most anticipated games, and Fallout NV was the best rPG and best game of 2010. Both are the best RPGs of the last 4 years.

See? Everyone happy.

8. TheCheese33 says:

Oh man, that picture is creepy.

9. My2CENTS says:

No one cares, that game will be just less than a casual shooter, like all FEAR games was/were/will be.

10. Hidden_7 says:

I just commented to say that the article title for this really should have been “FEAR 3 is Scared Of Being Released Just Yet, I’m Afraid.” Good try, Meer; almost there. You’ll get it next time.

Comment on this story