Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword & Trailer

By John Walker on April 27th, 2011 at 9:54 am.

Oi, stop poking.

Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword has gone gold. There’s a statement of fact. Another: there’s a trailer of the game’s sieges below. Today I am ALL BUSINESS.

I’m not sure that the guys guarding this wall are entirely qualified for the job. I think when hearing your chum having his neck sliced open, it’s best to turn to have a look.

It’s out digitally on 3rd May, for only $15. Make sure to read Jim’s interview with TaleWorlds’ producer Mikail Yazbeck.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. danimalkingdom says:

Dangnes. I was hoping they’d have at least changed some of the sound effects, and the music, for a whole new game. Kind of lame that they can’t go all the way and re-jig the flawed UI, the midi-esque music etc before releasing a new title.
    Although the fact remains: I’m still buying this, in the name of man-hacking and horse-bothering.

• JarinArenos says:

I’m not seeing a single thing in this trailer that mods for M&B Warband didn’t do a year ago. Giving them money again just encourages them to abandon this project too, and move on to the next minor-mod-released-as-a-full-game. My wallet stays closed.

2. MuscleHorse says:

Is anyone aware if this is essentialy an integration of Warband with extra bits?
    I’m still to give Warband a proper go despite enjoying the few minutes I have played.

3. LimEJET says:

I’m not buying another one until they ship (haha) a Pirates vs. Buccaneers version. Where, instead of a horse, you have a ship with mounted cannons and all that stuff.

• Burgi3001 says:

If they do that they should rather do Pirates vs. Ninjas

• Drakon says:

Actually, there was a mod for a much older version of the original M&B which did pretty much that.

Minus the ninjas. Unless they were there and I couldn’t see them, which is pretty likely as well.

4. heretic says:

this actually seems quite fun :D

5. Jumwa says:

My, that gentleman in the video sure hacks and slashes away quite a lot. Whenever I play Mount & Blade every darn NPC is blocking my moves faster than my girlfriend can manage.

• godgoo says:

Never gives me any trouble. Your girlfriend that is, I’ve never played the game.

• captain fitz says:

seconded. never played the game but your girlfriend mounts my blade at the slightest suggestion.

6. MajorManiac says:

Looking forward to the Monty Python mod. – “Prepare the Holy Hand Grenade!!”

7. Gonefornow says:

The sieges, oh the sieges…
    It seems that the addition of firearms and the lack of heavy armor could make the sieges a bit more tolerable. Don’t get me wrong here, I usually like the sieges in Mount&Blade, but when the enemy has only one town left and there are 20 lords with 300 heavysupersoldiers + 1000 other minions it’s hard times for the player.

8. mattratcliffe says:

Looking forward to this, mainly for the multiplayer. But I so wish they would crank the awesome up to 11 and include siege weapons with destructible terrain. One can dream!

9. BloodPukeSalvation says:

+1 on siege and destructable terrain being awesome.
    why has no one ever made a proper medieval/ancient siege game sans magic. i hate magic in medieval games. or maybe it exists and i havent played it?

also, these ‘with fire and sword’ article titles make this song play in my head everytime i read them…

anyone else? or just me?

10. Jimmy Z says:

Though I love Warband, this looks mostly just like a mod. Not going to pay 15 dollars for a mod.

• Kent says:

I agree. There’s even a mod that does this in Warbands and it’s called Blood & Steel mod. Why buy this game for 10 quid when you can get approx the same gameplay in a mod for free. It just sounds to me like a total ripoff from their amazing modding community.

11. Felixader says:

Um… this does not look as good as it sounded?

I am not talking about the graphics here, i like any graphic if the gameplay is gold (case in point Wind LoZ Waker, the Dreamfall Collection [gaah again stuck in the first game X-P] and as a example of a new game Minecraft).

Althougth saying so implies that i rate down graphics of older and different titles, althougth i don’t if you know what i mean.

However, the gameplay doesn’t actually look that golden to me as it sounded to me.

• Mad Hamish says:

That’s a terrible trailer pay no attention. I can confirm that Mount&Blade is one of the best games in recent history. It’s sucked up so many hours of my life. Also the mod scene in excellent. A lot of history buffs making historically accurate mods, the best kind of mods.

12. julianbenson says:

IS the guy at 0:30 wearing a tie? I respect a man who dresses up for battle

13. weetchex says:

Those grenades look like they’d make throwing a far less useless skill.

• Mattressi says:

D:

I defended many a castle hopelessly outnumbered, with my thrower and backup Huscarls.

14. phanatic62 says:

I love Warband, so far I’ve put something like 110 hours in to it, and I’m sure I’ll play plenty more. I think the guns look fun, and grenades as well, but I would like to hear more about what they have changed before I drop another $15 on something that just looks modded. Perhaps an entirely new campaign map, or maybe just new gameplay mechanics? I really hope there’s more to this than just guns and bombs.

• Mattressi says:

From what I’ve heard, it’s an entirely new map and they’ve added an optional story line to SP as well.

• iniudan says:

Actually the campaign is indeed entirely new for the game happen around the Russo-Polish war, so it happen in North East Europe. There is even suppose to be a story added on top of the sandbox for those that want to follow it (is it good, that I got no idea, will know on the 5th).
      In this one you also suppose to be able to fully equip your army like you want to, not just the companion.
      And for the multiplayer they are adding a commander mode, where each player can control up to 25 npc if I remember right. This might be worth the 15$ price by itself if you ask me. And if it can work all out with 32 (832) or 64 (1664) players on the field (/drool, I don’t think it will but I can still hope =p).

EDIT: Made a mistake in the war name it was not the Great Northern War, but the Russo-Polish war.

• phanatic62 says:

Well that sounds like it will be worth $15. I do love the open endedness of Warband, but a campaign could be fun if they do it well. I didn’t realize this game was getting released so soon, but I’m a bit disappointed that it does not appear to be on Steam yet.
      Just checked the TaleWorlds website, it says this as well:
      “New economic system, which includes village / town development, a banking system, & new trade options. Players will have the opportunity to loan money, keep money on deposit, and arrange caravans.”
      Kick ass!
      EDIT: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,167211.0.html
      Apparently the preorder should be up on Steam today. Woo hoo!

• Berzee says:

Yeah, knowing all that, it sounds quite good quite good :) I am much assured.

So…the trailer, then? Is it the least informative trailer ever? No, probably not, but is it the least informative trailer I have seen in a good while? Yes, if you measure by how much was left out. Look at the comments and you will see that this trailer gives people the following impression:

“We has made…a new game…is like, our old game…but there are tons of new features like….this sword? and….here is a gun. I can kill 500 mans.”

15. kulik says:

Ok, the first thing may be to tweak the AI so that it stop reloading muskets when player is five feet away charging at them with a melee weapon.

16. deadpan says:

Muskets and grenades are great, but how about some period-appropriate artillery pieces? I want to blow a hole in a castle wall with a twenty-foot cannon carved from a tree trunk.

17. RogB says:

hmmm. as a huge M&B fan, i agree with a lot of the comments here. looks like a (fairly poor tbh) mod

the particles are terrible (and unlit, look how bad they look at night), the same music and limp sound effects are getting a little tedious now.

some new death anims required too, the guns look feeble. considering that they have a ragdoll system for mounted deaths I wonder why they didnt use it for grenade+gun deaths?

18. johnerick says: