Blink And You’ll Myth It: Mythos Released

By Quintin Smith on April 28th, 2011 at 8:21 pm.

She looks a bit sheepish.

See the takeover advert that currently adorns this page like somebody’s upended roast dinner? The game it’s for, free-to-play Diablo-alike Mythos, has just been released. You can download the client here, and play for as long as you please with your entirely wallet stowed for the duration. What an age we live in! How far we’ve come. How far we’ve come from prehistoric times, when early man would have to make his own fun by seeing how many rocks he could fit in his mouth.

PC Gamer have spotted a launch trailer and I’ve put it after the jump, but it’s so naff that watching it filled me with a paralysing loss of self-worth. Instead, click on through the jump in order to read me talking about Mythos’ development history, which actually involves Runic, the Torchlight devs. It’s an interesting one.

I’ll do it as a timeline.

2006: Mythos starts its life as a technology test within Flagship Studios (a now defunct developer founded largely by ex-Blizzard employees) for Hellgate: London’s networking capabilities. By the end of the year, the test had become a project of it’s own, with it’s own team.

2007: Mythos enters closed beta testing.

2008: Flagship closes after Hellgate: London bombs. Every member of the Flagship team that was working on Mythos leave to work on their own game. The studio they formed was called Runic Games, and the game they went on to make was Torchlight.

2009: South Korean MMO publisher HanbitSoft acquire the Mythos intellectual property and all of it’s assets, and continue work on the game.

2011: HanbitSoft release Mythos! Quinns writes news post about Mythos coming out, detailing the history of the game. Quinns takes one last look at this news post to make sure everything’s OK, then hits the “publish” button.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. RaytraceRat says:

Young, strong and beautiful fights the ugly, weak and disabled…

2. EgoCheck616 says:

Not sure if want.

3. PiiSmith says:

So anyone tried it? Is it worth to download one GB and potentially more?

4. ran93r says:

Going to check it out just to see how far it’s come.

5. oatmeal says:

Is this a Pay 2 Win MMO?

6. dawnmane says:

I played some of the beta. I applied because I loved Flagships original version of the game, which I also played in beta, and I really want to warn you all: This game is nothing like what Flagship started out with! It’s actually like a Frankenstein’s monster version of the original: Hundreds of tiny bits of gameplay that could have been great, stitched randomly together, stumbling around with its jaw hanging down and about 0,0000001 percent as charming as it was when it was actually a living creation. I felt embarassed on behalf of Hanbitsoft for the entire duration of the beta. The quests are as generic as they come, the world doesn’t feel the least bit alive or coherent, and it feels way more like a techology test of an aging engine than an actual game, infinitely more than Flagships version ever did. Steer clear of this, I beg you!

• Zaphid says:

You said way better than I did, stay clear lest you will uninstall it quickly !

• ran93r says:

Good sirs, I think you just saved me some gigglebits!

• dawnmane says:

happy to help :) you’re actually better off playing the browser-based Drakensang Online beta, if you’re into mindless dungeonrunning. It feels mindless in a less embarassing way.

• Torgen says:

Thanks to your selfless sacrifice, my entirely wallet is safe!

• Wulf says:

Not surprised. Mythos as a beta was okay. It wasn’t a brilliantly amazing thing, but it was kind of fun, it actually was kind of fun. However, it didn’t last very long at all, and everything I’ve seen about this takes what was good about Mythos, all the charm and verve, and actually removes it. Bizarre.

And I want to maul someone at Mythos Europe for those “NICE TO MEAT YOU!” adverts. I’m still trying to figure out if that’s genuinely a typo or whether it’s supposed to be a joke, and if it’s supposed to be a joke, how the joke is supposed to work. I’ve never devoted so many thought cycles to an ad before in my life. It’s unsettling. OUT OF MY HEAD, ADVERT.

• hocevar says:

Damn, I actually thought this was going to be OK, I didn’t managed to play the first beta, when Flagship was around, but always heard good things about it.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

For a moment there it appeared you were reviewing Torchlight…

>> Hundreds of tiny bits of gameplay that could have been great
      >> The quests are as generic as they come
      >> the world doesn’t feel the least bit alive or coherent
      >> it feels way more like a techology test of an aging engine than an actual game
      >> Steer clear of this, I beg you!

• Bremze says:

Hey, atleast Torchlight was somewhat fun, even though lacking replayability,and visually interesting. Miles ahead of, say, Titan quest which was the most boring slog of a game I’ve ever experenced. First game I’ve owned, that couldn’t be saved even by co-op.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

Funny you should say that, I found Titan Quest (particularly with the expansion) the best rendition of a Diablo-like ever done. Certainly some things annoyed me about it. The one most prominent for me was a sometimes irritating similarity to Diablo II (not really a problem with the gameplay, but the actual game design: Did we really have to go through several tombs on a desert-themed Chapter II, just like with Diablo?)

I’ve put a considerable large number of hours into TQ-IT. But I do agree Torchlight, it too, had a sort of charm. However it would wear off on my case very quickly. Especially when I realized the item generation mechanism was so damn generic, the game could never cater to that aspect that makes Diablo II such an interesting gameplay experience for me: The collector in me.

7. Zaphid says:

It’s bad, they basically took the 2008 game and released it with minor content changes, no changes to the boring skill trees, bland characters or terrible UI. What was acceptable as a closed beta by a small team is unacceptable as a commercial release.

8. manveruppd says:

I actually tried to sign up for this to try it and their registration process was impossibly Byzantine! First I was told that a profile with my email address already existed. I had never signed up to this game before, but it’s administered by Frogster, which also had Runes of Magic, to which I HAD signed up for in ages past. So I try to log into the Runes of Magic account, but it tells me that my account was suspended and the password reset due to inactivity. I click on “recover password” and I get redirected to a forum post on RoM’s German bulletin boards!

I thought about going back and signing up with a different email, but then it occurred to me that if I did I’d have to deal with Frogster’s BS every day I played this game so I gave up. Trying to play their game feels like a revolving door set in Dante’s Inferno!

• dadioflex says:

My experience exactly. I registered for Runes of Magic when it came out and hit a total speed bump because they wanted to change my logins for that. Then to even re-activate my old account it looked like I had to undertake some kinda sponsored advertising THING. At this stage having come up with AND written down about twenty passwords until I satisfied the conditions they needed for the three sets of unique passwords they wanted, I still wasn’t sure if I was even logged in.

I liked Runes of Magic. Hmmm, Helluva lot simpler to just pay someone a sub for their game.

9. Jamison Dance says:

I thought it was about Bungie’s Myth, which was an awesome game.

10. Zogtee says:

Maybe I’m getting spoiled, but “it’s free” is no longer a compelling argument to play a game.

• Dominic White says:

It does remove most of the barrier against trying it for yourself and actually making your own mind up regarding its quality.

Unfortunately, a worrying number of people seem to dismiss things based on them being free around here. Sad.

• trjp says:

You’re absolutely right that ‘free’ isn’t an incentive anymore – the sheer volume of stuff there is to play, I’d rather spend a bit of money and make better use of my time…

Mythos – Flagship era – was a great thing, this looks like it’s been broken quite badly. They must have done something to it tho – I mean it’s taken them twice-as long to release an existing game that it look the Flagship team to release a whole new one!!!

• dawnmane says:

well, it really puzzles me too, but it seems they’ve been spending all these years breaking the game – and making toe-cringing word-pun trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfgkV04FgNU

• Heliocentric says:

To be fair free mmo disease has been afflicting games for over a decade, maybe 2. Runescape and maple story being the first times I met this disease.

But CoH:O is now one of my all time favourite games and I can never play it again. :(

• Shih Tzu says:

Not only is “free” not a draw, it can actually be a huge detriment to the player’s experience. I remember once when, to promote a new title, Valve enlisted a number of publishers to add bonus free content to some games I already owned. It was horrible, I can’t even talk about it anymore.

• Consumatopia says:

The biggest investment all of us have made into gaming isn’t in the price of games, but the time we’ve spent playing them.

There are no free games.

• Harlander says:

There’s no free anything.

Making the English language useless, one word at a time.

11. Chizu says:

The “Mythos” link and the one to download the client seem to go to two seperate versions of the game
    ones assumably the US one which says the servers are down and they are still recruiting people for the Closed Beta
    whilst the europe site is the one that has the client download :V

• bob_d says:

Hanbitsoft, after they shut down their North American publisher, decided that the best way to release the game was to do it themselves from Korea… so who knows if it’ll ever actually get released in a playable form in the US. (If it is released, the servers will be in Asia, which will be sub-optimal, obviously.)

12. Brumisator says:

Looks we’re better off forcing pebbles into our mouths than playing this game…but I will ignore everyone else and try it for myself.

• Teddy Leach says:

Please do tell us what you think of it.

• DrGonzo says:

I actually gave this a go. Can’t say I will be going back to it though. It felt incredibly similar to Torchlight, interface, engine and everything. But it wasn’t addictive at all, and didn’t leave me wanting to come back for more.

• Brumisator says:

Well it’s pure distilled essence of generic MMO mixed with torchlight UI.

So…just bleh…boring.

13. Teddy Leach says:

“Not suited for NOOBS.”

… Really? People still use that irritating word? Really, developers?

• pipman3000 says:

grandpa trying to sound cool: the game

• mwoody says:

So, see, they mean that dude from Mortal Kombat.

• Matt says:

Of more concern is why the European publisher chose to spoof an ESRB rating. Shouldn’t they have gone for PEGI instead?

• lowprices says:

That ‘noobs’ joke at the beginning made me sigh so hard that my lungs are now on the outside of my body.

Thanks for that HanbitSoft.

14. pipman3000 says:

welp look likes it’s back to eating rocks for me.

15. AWS260 says:

2011: After hitting the “publish” button, Quinns takes one more last — really the last this time, I mean it — look at this news post to make sure everything’s OK, and realizes that he screwed up its/it’s in the 2006 section.

2012: Quinns, still wracked by grammatical guilt, abandons journalism to return to the family fishmongering business.

16. Flappybat says:

Played five minutes, felt like they made an isometric clone of launch WoW, with a quarter of the content.

17. drewski says:

I would like to know Wot RPS Thinks about this, as it’s probably the first MMO since a FTP golf one I played a few years back that has even the slightest appeal to me.

18. Jake says:

‘So naff it will fill you with a paralysing loss of self-worth’ is actually a more appealing marketing slogan than ‘nice to meat you’. I watched the trailer out of pity.

I don’t get why they went with ‘nice to meat you’ it makes no goddamn sense, like they said ‘quick! We need a pun for our slogan! Doesn’t have to be relevant!’ If James Bond had just put Oddjob through a sausage maker he would still not use a line this rubbish.

19. KingCathcart says:

/spits rocks out of mouth

What?

20. NeoShai says:

I’m enjoying it.

21. yurusei says:

A game made by noobs, not for noobs.

22. Mac says:

I don’t know what it is – but it doesn’t seem to be as much fun as the version did 12 months ago … just feels somewhat sterile now …

23. Daniel Klein says:

They didn’t “acquire” the IP so much as OUTRIGHT STEAL IT!!! No, I hear it was actually all legal and stuff, but apparently the IP was a security in an agreement to borrow money from HanBit, and when all of Flagship’s endeavours were lost at sea, the Chinese wanted their pound of flesh.

Which is great, since starting from scratch was clearly the thing these guys needed to do. Torchlight is AMAZING.

• ralphs says:

Daniel, isn’t that how collateral works in the real world? PS the publisher is Korean.

24. fenriz says: