RPS Gaming Community Update

By Jim Rossignol on April 28th, 2011 at 10:10 am.

It just occurred to me that I’ve not been particularly pro-active with game nights and such of late, so I thought I might do a quick run down on some of the stuff that is going on with the community, as well as mention that there’s probably going to be some Arma action this weekend. Not sure about times on that, will update with it later. In the meantime it’s worth noting that the forum is a great place to finding gaming chums, particularly in the social clubs folder. Currently there’s a call out to find Section 8 players, and a thread about MegaMek, which is a way of playing the Battletech boardgame online. Then there’s the Blood Bowl league, which isn’t looking for sign ups, but is nonetheless in progress and interesting, and a bunch of other things, such as a call out for Rift players. Last, but not least, there’s the ongoing adventures of the community Minecraft server.

Anyone else want to pimp their exploits?

UPDATE: Arma 2 kicking off at 7pm (GMT+1) next Saturday. The ArmA 2 server can be found by filtering games by name for “rock”, password rumpus. Mumble is at 81.19.209.123 port 64738 (config guide at http://rockpapershotgun.com/rpsforum/topic.php?id=4093)

, .

1. Lewie Procter says:

I wonder if anyone up North is up for a Manchester-based Social Club meeting.

I could organise something.

Although, by “organise” I just mean pick a time and place.

2. Alethron says:

Don’t forget all the Men of War: Assault Squad tomfoolery that is going on most days! There is a thread in the forums with the names of people to get in touch with.

3. Escalus says:

i’d join a bad company 2 match or three if an event happened :>

• soundofvictory says:

This.

Every time I take a look at the RPS BC2 server, zero people are playing.

4. TC-27 says:

Anyone interested in some epic American Civil War action is welcome to join the RPS ‘Gettysburg: Scourge of War’ steam group called ‘Rock, Paper, Secession’.
    We’ve had two games nights in a row now with some epic and nailbiting battles.
    See the thread in the forum for more info.

5. Jonathan says:

Somebody with organisational ability should create a Rock, Paper, Scotland social club.

Preferably in Edinburgh, preferably in the West End, and ideally right by Haymarket. Because I’m lazy.

• Gravidos says:

Then us lazy Glaswegians aren’t going to come. Probably nobody else in Scotland for that matter, Edinburgh isn’t central enough :P

• thegooseking says:

I live just off Dalry Road. We should do this.

• Srekel says:

I’m in Edinburgh too, near Leith Walk. Though.. what does one do in one of these meetings? :D

EDIT: I’ve got a couple of board games, if anyone’s up for that sort of thing.

• thegooseking says:

I have no idea what we’ll do. But I’ve set up a Steam group (for Scotland in general, not just Edinburgh). We can sort it out via that. I’ve left it private for now, so friend me (Steam name the same as my name here) and I’ll invite you.

• Tams80 says:

but…but… then it wouldn’t be a Rock, Paper, Shotgun society anymore!

• Unaco says:

I am in Scotland also, around Stirling area. But, I am also incredibly anti-social.

• Chris D says:

Oh, lots of us in Edinburgh. Excellent. We should definitely get together and play board games or something.

• Srekel says:

thegooseking, I tried adding you as a friend but nothing happens. Please attempt to add me and see if it works better for you (username srekel).
      Is a steam group the best way to organize these sorts of things? Other alternatives I guess are RPS forums (though I never visit them), email, or facebook.

EDIT: Ok, seems to work now, except that you’re not showing up in my friends list, but presumably you need to accept my request first or something.

• thegooseking says:

@Srekel Yeah, I had to accept your request and I was busy being on a bus.

I don’t know if a Steam group is the best way to organise it, but it was something I could set up in a few minutes and didn’t have to think too hard about. I’ll make a forum post later this afternoon.

• Ian says:

Are they many Glasgowers? Not that I can guarantee I’d go because I’m a bit shy for meeting webfolk, but I’d entertain the idea. Going all the way to Edinburgh on the train might weird me out before I got there.

6. BaronWR says:

Let’s not forget the London Social group, who will shortly be running the first RPS boardgaming night:
    More info can be found Here or Here

• Temple to Tei says:

Is there anything important on the FB page I am missing out on?
      I have not yet sold my soul to that particular devil and cannot access it. (My workplace sold my soul for me to gmail, so I may go the whole hog soon and sign up to FB as well)

Edit: And ignore that as I now have a FB page -ooh new toy to play with.

• Daave says:

A friend sent me a screen cap of the FB event. It was just time and location and a bit of blurb about how it’s being done jointly with the IGDA. Nothing that isn’t in the above forum post.

And we’ve not started the next BB season just yet, so there’s a chance of getting the spot of anyone who drops out last minute.

7. ntw says:

Jim has done us a disservice – we are always looking for fresh blood new players in the BB Divisions of Death League. We turn a season around every month (approximately) so there’s never too long to wait…
    Additionally there’s the BB Challenge League if you prefer a more casual pickup game or the RPS Open which I know less about due to sleep and work requirements.

TheApologist says:

Hey, sounds fun. Is there some kind of inexperienced-idiot-league that inexperienced idiots can play in and not get utterly crushed?

I have, like, this friend, y’see, and he’s uh, y’know, an idiot

• ntw says:

I can vouch for both the Challenge League (CL) and the Divisions of Death (DoD) being n00b friendly places, I know that I personally will offer advice or suggestions to a newbie if asked and I believe many of the others will also :)

Just to clarify – the CL is basically nothing more than a collection of teams run by RPS-ers for friendly matches, it basically removes the “internet dickwad” risk from playing online…

/edit – translated into English, instead of ntw-Gobbledigook-ese

TheApologist says:

That’s cool – I will check them out for sure.
      Er, I mean my friend will…Thanks!

8. ado says:

I’d be up for some TF2 or L4D2, if those games are still in demand around here. What happened to that RPS TF2 server anyway? I don’t see it in my favorites anymore.

9. Stranglove says:

Me and egg occasionally play A New Zero, which we really need some more players for.

10. Corrupt_Tiki says:

I would be keen for some BFBC2 or TF2, or ArmA, but I think being in Aus means my ping will be intolerable. Sad panda. :<

• wcaypahwat says:

There’s quite a few of us around these days. Someone with half decent organisational skills could probably put something together more suitable to our time zones.

The turn based stuff works fine too, if that’s your flavour.

• Stranglove says:

My flavour is raspberry.

I’ve heard that A New Zero has astoundingly low pings, maybe we could get a super-international game of that together?

11. Stranglove says:

Coulda sworn I commented on this. Ah well, Me and egg need more players for A New Zero, we use the Unofficial mumble server (http://rockpapershotgun.com/rpsforum/topic.php?id=4093 You should probably link this in the main post, Mr Rossignol)

• HexagonalBolts says:

That looks interesting, I can only find ‘download demo’, is that the whole thing / is it free…?

• Stranglove says:

Yeah, the ‘demo’ is essentially the full game.

12. HexagonalBolts says:

I’m always up for L4D2 or SC2

13. Unaco says:

Do not forget the Steam Group Chat Room. It gets used quite a lot, either for general chat, more specific game chat, organising games (either on the fly, or on a later date, or as a pre arranged place to meet, share server details etc. before jumping into a game), that sort of thing. There’s always a decent number of people in and chatting, although it is quite Brit/Euro-centric as far as times go… there are a few US/Australians, but the majority of people are Brit/Euro, so don’t expect a hive of activity at 4am GMT. If you’ve got Steam running, why not join the room and idle? Haven’t got much to lose.

14. Sorbicol says:

Blood bowl leagues you say? This could be very interesting…..

15. Ian says:

We’re not having any leagues until the new client is fully in place, but there’s also the RPS FUMBBL group, for Blood Bowl-ers who either simply don’t get enough BB through the three(!) different ways of playing RPSers at Cyanide’s Blood Bowl game, or for people who want to play Blood Bowl for free. And with FUMBBL doing almost everything better aside from not being in shiny 3D….

Like I say, we’re waiting for the League division to get the new client, but we’re still playing the odd friendly in the meantime, and we discuss our Blackbox (a match-making system on FUMBBL) exploits in the FUMBBL thread too.

In case anybody has previously been put off FUMBBL by the fiddly set-up and slightly temperamental way the games are set up the new client pretty much fixes all that, doing everything server side.

EDIT: Here – http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=6940

• Sorbicol says:

I’m just trying to decide if the 3 leagues I’m already in is probably enough ;) I’ve got a feeling they probably are to be honest, however if one of them does run its course (which is looking increasingly likely) I might investigate further into this if you are still accepting new players.

I’ll have to keep an eye out

• Ian says:

We are always accepting. And even if we weren’t, we don’t currently have so many players that we can afford to turn folks away.

Bearing in mind as well that because set-up is quicker and you don’t have to sit through animations, FUMBBL is a much leaner experience. [/plug]

But yeah, the RPS FUMBBL group is always open to new blood chums. And we’ll be getting our leagues rolling again just as soon as the [L]eague division finally gets transferred to the new client, which should theoretically not be too far away.

• Sorbicol says:

Ah cool. I’ve played using FUMBBL before too but didn’treallyy get on with it, although I think that had more to do with it using LRB4 rather than the LRB5 than the original Cyanide version used. For some reason LRB6 seems a more fluid progression. I’ll post in the forums, actually managed a competitive Halfling victory last night!

16. notjasonlee says:

yeees, arma2! i finally bought that and the multiplayer is INCREDIBLE when you add a few basic client-side mods. i am a big fan of bc2, but the distances you deal with in arma2 make it much more exciting and realistic.

17. sinister agent says:

I’d like to play some Arma 2, but without the add-ons it seems I’m out of luck. And I’m not forking out another £20. Same goes for Assault Squad, actually.

JB says:

Is the upcoming Arma2 action going to be Invasion 44 (which I still haven’t got working) or are you guys going back to normal Arma2 stuff?