Intriguing: Need For Speed: The Run

By Jim Rossignol on April 29th, 2011 at 8:03 am.

Well, it’s just a teaser trailer, but the idea of this NFS game is kind of interesting, and it appears to have some manner of story – an actual tease! The trailer comes with this blurb: “It’s called The Run. An illicit, high-stakes race across the country. The only way to get your life back is to be the first from San Francisco to New York. No speed limits. No rules. No allies. All you have are your driving skills and sheer determination as you battle hundreds of the world’s most notorious drivers on the country’s most dangerous roads.”

A race across the whole of the US? Hmm. I wonder how that is going to work. According to VG247 this reveal looks a bit low key, as there are no other details. It could be Black Box’s NFS game, due to be shown at E3 in June.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Shadowcat says:

I’ve come to the conclusion that the weird symbol accompanying every NFS game in recent times must be the official logo, but it’s really quite irritatingly meaningless. It’s almost sort-of an ‘n’. Maybe. That’s as much relevance as I can squeeze out of it. Can anyone provide some clarification, or is it genuinely as pointless as it seems?

• Surgeon says:

I never really thought about it until you mentioned it.
      But after a bit of digging around, it seems like the intention is that it is the ‘N’ from the logo, with a rev counter needle sweeping across it.
      It certainly seems that way from this video:

• Shadowcat says:

Thanks for that; I’m glad to know there was some kind of logic behind it! Mind you, it still seems a wee bit desperate — that would never have occurred to me, and even knowing the intention, I can still barely see it.

2. Taverius says:

A week after skyrim is a little unfortunate, timing-wise …

3. MD says:

Bloody hell, someone is taking out their thwarted Hollywood ambitions on us.

4. Oozo says:

This could be the best game ever (edit: like Jim apparently already explained). All it has to do is model a complete road-map of the USA, where you can choose whatever road you want to take, and try to be the first to get from place A to place B. If you could hire the spirit of Warren Oates to do the voice work for your nemesis, it would be even more perfect. How difficult can it be?!

Guess it won’t be anything like that, though.

5. tomeoftom says:

Hey, this could be your road game, Jim! (Probably only with copious modding, but still)

6. Perkelnik says:

I wonder if we ll get to do actual racing in this one… I mean, Ive played Dirt 2 and Shift 2 yesterday and I dont understand why there is so much loading and animation every time you want to race.
    Also, if they want to do a fancy show off, make it skipable ffs!

• Thants says:

Racing games consistently have terrible interfaces. I don’t know why. When I open Dirt 2 there are four separate times where it stops and I have to press a button to make it keep loading. Who thought that was OK?

Like, No, don’t play all the intro movies again.
      Yes, I’d like to load the game.
      Thank you, I won’t unplug my computer from the wall while you’re saving.
      Yes, once again I’d like to load the game.

7. spazmedicine says:

Awesome! I’ve been waiting for Cruis’n USA 2.

8. cyberninja says:

Sounds like the film its a mad mad mad world (or the remake rat race). I’m definalty interested.

9. bill says:

Cannonball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. GallonOfAlan says:

Could be good … FUEL was an engine demo with a crap game tacked on, but imagine a map that size or bigger with a good game tacked on.

11. Awia says:

Need For Speed: Cannonball Run

12. InsidiousBoot says:

This is going to be a: arcade easy mode race to the finish with explosions around you.. DISASTER…
    oh and cops.. lots of cops, there’s no way its going to be as detailed as a grand theft auto city or get realistic simulated cars like in NFS Unleashed 2..
    Anyway its going to fail, unless you liked NFS Hot Pursuit, which failed horrible. I didn’t like it. it was ugly, felt like I was driving with .. [insert description] and it was just bad.. I didn’t even play more then the first 2 missions.

• James says:

I quite liked Hot Pursuit 2010 as it stayed close to Hot Pursuit 2, and even Need For Speed 3; it just belonged in the series. The Run sounds like it will flop though.

• Shortwave says:

You played the game for ten minutes and you’re now an expert, way to go.
      That game is massive and took me a week of heavy playing or so to get through.
      It is an arcade racer, yes. Clearly that’s not your thing, special.

This game brought me back to the original and make me very happy.
      Also I thought the graphics were beautiful, nothing over the top but it looked great.

You need a chill pill son.

13. Delusibeta says:

The reveal is low key, largely because it was ShopTo who revealed it, apparently.

14. QuantaCat says:

I doubt they can pull off hollywoodesque games. UbiSoft has been able to do so nicely, but EA.. hm.. (or did they do Call Of Juarez as well?)

15. unimural says:

Sadly, my thought process when I saw the title went something like this: Need For Speed: Mirror’s Edge! How confusing, and utterly delightlful that EA has the balls to try something different. Although it will probably be confusing for all the racing fans. Oh …

16. paterah says:

I’ve been waiting for this game (yes this specific game) ever since it was announced Black Box was working on a new street racing game.

17. heretic says:

Midnight club 2 had awesome characters, too bad they didn’t make the story more prominent. Need for speed carbon is the only good need for speed of late that I played, and it had some sort of a story which wasn’t bad and you learnt more as you hired new team mates.

I really hope this turns out ok, a racing game with a back story could definitely work. I haven’t played but read that need for speed undercover was kinda shite so hopefully it won’t be like that…

18. YourMessageHere says:

I’ve been wanting some sort of racing game with proceedurally generated interstates and a cast of US muscle cars. That’s what I wanted to see. However, I definitely saw an Audi and a Porsche, and the legal boilerplate at the end mentions Lamborghini, Pagani, Mazda and Aston Martin, so it’s just the usual NFS suspects where the car list is concerned. Yes, it’ll be the next arcadey, ‘easy’ NFS, but that’s OK with me, I’m crap at serious racing games but I enjoy driving stupidly fast. Hope they make the cops less prone to magically appearing at the worst possible time. I shall watch with interest.

As for someone enacting their thwarted Hollywood ambitions on gamers, I actually enjoy NFS plotlines because they are so appallingly bad, with characters universally one-dimentional and contemptible, that it makes The Fast and The Furious look subtle and nuanced in comparison; definitely prime candidates for the label ‘so bad it’s good’, at least in my opinion.

• Nalano says:

Yeah, I don’t understand this love for imports that look like hard-boiled eggs with running lights. Gimme a Cuda or a Shelby GT or somethin’.

Or are we that embarrassed about golden age American muscle cars now?

19. Rii says:

Registering mild interest.

20. dan. says:

So it’s kinda like Drive but without Nathan Fillion?

21. disperse says:

I hope they model, with excruciating detail, every interminable mile of the corn belt.

22. nuh uh no way says:

they think this is going to sell yet i could never get anyone to play a Cannonball Run race with me in GTA IV without being called a faggot just for suggesting it.

23. Stinkfinger75 says:

At :32 it looks as if Chell has made the jump from portals to pedals.

24. Teddy Leach says:

It should be called The Drive.

25. MisterT says:

Other sources, namely Eurogamer, say that this game is going to use the FROSTBITE 2.0 engine (AKA BF3′s engine)

26. cavalier says:

The game is using the Frostbite 2 engine that we’ve seen in battlefield 3, so i am expecting some spectacular crashes and awesomeness. plus it will be nice to see what else the engine is capable of in a different setting

27. Gabe McGrath says:

It would be nice if you could choose an ambulance as your vehicle,
    with a nutter riding in the back, ready to administer horse tranquilisers.

OR

A pair of Japanese gents whose races are occasionally interrupted by cutscenes from ‘Behind the Green Door’.

28. somini says:

If this is Most Wanted 2 I will be a happy man, otherwise I don’t care.

Comment on this story