RPS Social Club: Up North, May 28th

By Lewie Procter on May 2nd, 2011 at 6:32 pm.

Are games beer?

UPDATE: This has now relocated to Kyoto Bar, details here.

I once heard that a man can lose himself in London. Lose himself. I was considering jumping on a train to that there capital city for the next London based RPS Social Club meeting, but abject fear of the tube (TRAINS UNDER THE GROUND?!?!) and the fact that I don’t own a bowler hat are preventing me from going. So, I thought, why not get the Social Club to come to me? Read on for details of the first Manchester based RPS Social Club Meet.

Here’s the plan: At 3pm on Saturday the 28th of May (three and a bit weeks from now) all the RPSers who are in the Manchester area, or within close reach, are going to pile into Font Bar Kyoto Lounge in Manchester. Then we get a bit drunk (or point and laugh at those getting drunk if you’re not a drinker) and get angry at each other for liking different PC games, and tell each other how much we love each other for liking the same PC games. It’s going to be brilliant.

Font bar is just a 30 second skip from Oxford Road station, or a 5 minute walk in a straight line from Piccadilly station, so it should be relatively easy to find for anyone travelling by train. There’s a thread here in the forums for ongoing discussion. We’ll probably be collecting in the downstairs area of the bar, because it is cooler than the upstairs. You’ll be able to spot us because we’ll be trendier and more beautiful than everyone else in the bar, but I’m going to be booking us some tables too.

If you’re closer to London, then why not pop along to the London Social Club Meet on the same day. I specifically chose a bar with free WiFi, so we can have playful internet banter about how our meet is better than their meet.

Who’s coming?

Photo & Artwork by Tom Bingham.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Oak says:

Is beer art?

2. RomanRazor says:

Only if you can work it into a haiku.
    Cue haiku challenge…

3. mpk says:

Not northern enough. Come to Scotland you tea-drinking pigdogs!

4. AndrewC says:

‘Eee when I were a lad, we didn’t complain about linear shooters. We were lucky to have three dimensions.’
    ‘Lucky to have 2 dimensions!’
    ’2 dimensions? Luxury!’
    Etc.
    Good luck, mighty northern gamer folk.

• Teddy Leach says:

Ee bah gum, as we say around these here parts. Did you not know – we’re all uneducated barbarians around here. I, for one, do not leave my house without my trusty pitchfork.

Geroff moi land etc.

5. Teddy Leach says:

I’m too poor for the train. I could walk or hitchhike, but I’d probably be killed. You must come further north.

6. DrazharLn says:

Wonderful! I look forward to meeting some fellow RPSers.

7. luckylad says:

If only there was a way to have a social club here in the states… How about next time you fine gentleman feel the need to visit our backwards part of the world could you please give us a ring and I’m sure there will be at least a few of us who would enjoy a night out with y’all. Not to mention most of us tend to know the best places to get a cheap beer or 2 in our area. For example, I am quite familiar with the Texas area and if you would happen to come by me and a few of my other Texans would love to show you the different places to eat drink and talk about how consoles are the Antichrist. In all honesty though, I don’t really see you coming to any other city in Texas besides Dallas for its myriad of computational based events such as Quakecon.

8. DiamondDog says:

So us northeners get a guy who can sort us out with cheap games, while you soft southeners get a guy who abandoned us for comics and a guy who complains about his herb garden blowing over in the wind.

Screw you London!

9. Gunsmith says:

midlands forever!

/me shakes fist

• Hunam says:

Same here, although that’s because the midlands is a trap in which one can never leave. It’s like being eaten by the sarlacc thing in ROTJ.

10. CMaster says:

Does this Font place serve good beer/cider/rum?

• TimA says:

Yes, they have a good selection including imported bottled beers, and they make pretty decent cocktails that are quite reasonable.

I hope to be there!

• Lewie Procter says:

It has a pretty wide range of beers (see some of them here here), since I’m not a beer drinker, I have no idea if they are nice. The usual range of Ciders you’d expect (Strongbow, Koppaberg & either Magners or Bulmers (can’t remember which it is)), and shedloads of cocktails (menu downloadable here), and you can see the rums they have from the cocktail ingredients.

• fallingmagpie says:

Given that the sole difference between Magners and Bulmers is the label, I don’t see anyone minding either way :)

• Lewie Procter says:

I think Bulmers is a little fizzier, but yes, that would be why I can’t remember which it is.

• McDan says:

What you need to try Mr Proctor, is ciders with Lime. They improve it even better. I know this because we only have Blackthorn at our SU, which tastes of piss, so lime with cider is awesome… Yeah

• CMaster says:

Beers sound good, be nice if they have some good stuff on tap.
      Cider is a little disappointing – I’m inclined to think all those taste either of weird chemicals (Strongbow) or not of much at all (the rest). Good West Country stuff is what I like from Cider.
      Goslings and Mount Gay aren’t my favourites, but certainly quite drinkable. (Ron Diplomatico Reserva is a current “oh wow that’s good” for me). A decent cocktail is all in the mix though, so we shall see.
      Anyway, at least it isn’t just a “Carling and Strongbow” only place.

Also, this doesn’t effect me coming or not. Just I like exceptional drinks in much the same way as I like exceptional games.

• Gerbick says:

Beer and Rum from 3pm. Excellent!

11. Antsy says:

Oi! Shadders!

12. Sepulchrave76 says:

I’d been hoping for something like this! Font bar is pretty trendy, and makes me more aware of my general scuzziness, but is otherwise a pretty great place.

Whack my name down on the list :)

13. MuscleHorse says:

Not a big fan of Font (hipster posers!) but mark me as a tentative yes.

14. Flint says:

I live in Manchester! But the idea of STRANGE PEOPLE in A BAR is flaring up my shyness reflexes! No idea what to do! Exclamation mark!

• Masked Dave says:

Come along, find the geekiest looking group of people in the place, pull up a seat and feel at home instantly.

• Plivesey says:

I have the exact same feeling! I’ve been to a computer science conference in Cambridge university, and even the geeks there seemed more outgoing than me! Being shy is such a damned pain!

• Sepulchrave76 says:

Yeah, me too. Wait, we’re all gamers; isn’t that particular affliction par for the course? Let’s all meet up in different bars and tweet each other instead

• luckylad says:

Using twitter and other applications you could try to amass all of RPS to have 1 individual representative at each bar across Manchester at the same time thus ensuring that a lonely gamer can go to any bar in Manchester and be greeted by a fellow gamer. Wow that came out sounding significantly more sappy than I intended. Otherwise we could just fit everyone into a bar and start smashing away beers and furniture until we have nothing left but our destruction and glass. That’s masculine right? Alright good I’m back to null.

15. KauhuK says:

This again? Any Finns here to get into a bar to talk about games? Propably in Capital Region (Pääkaupunkiseutu)? No? Thought so :(.

16. DeadPanda says:

Okay, that’s awesome, I’ll be coming all the way from Liverpool, so watch your hubcaps guys.

17. Pani says:

Damn you! I left Manchester to live in the States a few years back. Why didn’t you do it back then? Why wasn’t I reading RPS 4 years ago? Why is life so cruel!

Hope you have a good time. Just to note, If you’re arriving by tram, you’ll want to get off at St Peter’s Square and head down Oxford Road. Did that for 4 years when attending Manchester Met.

18. ruaidhri.k says:

Last time I was in font had a pretty nice lunch. And several pints. So I may pop along to this. Although I am driving back from Cornwall that day so might fall asleep instead. Decisions. Decisions.

19. Griddle Octopus says:

I might actually come to this one, rather than the London one, as I’m home (Manc) that weekend anyway. I will be the shy grey-haired nebbish.

20. Masked Dave says:

Awesome, definitely in for this.

21. FupDuk says:

I drank at The Grand Central / Subway in the early nineties. It’s near this fancy pants Font bar you speak of. Wednesday Night was Tequila night. £0.50 a slammer! Unconscious for a fiver.

22. Targaff says:

5 minutes straight walk from Piccalilli? And I thought I walked fast…

23. ShowMeTheMonkey says:

Damn it! I’m in Leeds at that time and would love to come…

Exam timetable says differently…..

24. GCU Speak Softly says:

Saw ‘North’ and got excited. Read the words that mean ‘Midlands’ and got sad.

25. Loix says:

That’s in Font! And, holy shit, you’re from Manchester… I’m from Manchester! And… and… I’m about a 15 minute walk away from Font Bar… Holy shit!

I’m also socially retarded. Enjoy your evening.

26. TheTourist314 says:

Can we do one in America?

27. Jhesam says:

An RPS meetup actually anywhere near me? With my reputation? You shouldn’t have.

28. Lewie Procter says:

Manchester is significantly more Northern than London.

I can’t see anything in the forums about organising a social club somewhere stateside, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

29. Glycerine says:

It’s right before payday! (or at least *my* payday, which i guess probably isn’t the GMT of paydays)

However, assuming i can squirrel away a few quids (or subsist on cheapo supernoodles for a week), i’ll definitely make the trek across the pennines for this! I’ll be the pink mohawk-y one, probably not difficult to spot, but i won’t know anyone at all and might be a bit shy at first, so be gentle with me.

Actually pretty excited…thanks for organising Lewie!

30. HexagonalBolts says:

As i’ve said, i’m on it for sure!

31. Lewis Denby says:

Unfortunately, I shall not be in attendance, as I’ll be in Bristol running away from zombies.

32. Untitled says:

This is really close to my assignment hand-in dates but it’s a weekend, and weekends are meant to be enjoyed, so hopefully I’ll be there. How many tables did you book out? It looks like we might fill out the bar haha.

• Lewie Procter says:

Yeah, I’m a little concerned we might need to relocate to a different place if there is too many of us. I haven’t been able to speak to them yet (since they were shut today), but if we’re too many for them I’m sure we can find somewhere else nearby. I can think of a few places actually, just Font is the nicest, and is at a convenient location.

I just wanted people to have enough time to make travel arrangements. I’ll speak to them tomorrow, and I’ll keep you informed.

33. Out Reach says:

Manchester? That’s like a reasonably priced train trip away! Count me in :)

34. Jonathan says:

I’m a Manchester native (well, Oldham), but now I live north of the border. I make it down there every now and then to visit my folks though, so if the Manchester meetups become a regular thing I’ll probably be able to make one.

35. Tams80 says:

£11.20 return – sooooo tempting. Direct train (outgoing and from a branch line!) and just after exams! I so want to come, but I’d have to leave by 6:30. =( That’s nowhere near enough time to get drunk.

36. AbyssUK says:

As RPS’s official 4th stupidest gamer I shall make all attempts to attend and will be giving out autographed photos for just £1.99 and allow you all to buy me beer.

37. Akirasfriend says:

How convenient! I never expected one of these in my hometown. Expect to see my fugly mug there, gents.

38. terry says:

You can’t drink in a font! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

39. banski83 says:

I shall be there, with any luck!

The Salisbury is nicer though.

Hell, why not have it at Grand Central? ;)

40. Shockeh says:

I think it might be because Grand Central is a horrible, horrible place? :D

I hope to see some RPS folk there!

41. CitizenKaned says:

You crazy nerds. It’s the champions league foot-to-ball final on the 28th. The place will be crawling with drunken manly types. Who will either be A) celebrating after a rousing victory over the Spaniards and looking to round off a fine evening with some nerd pummeling or B) drowning their sorrows and looking to take out some of their pent up man anger on some nerds. All the Sensible Soccer knowledge in the world isn’t going to save you. You’re doomed I tell you doomed. Next you will be telling me that RPS will be selling special edition blue and purple stripped T-shirt to mark the occasion of hosting such a northerly event.

• AbyssUK says:

So people don’t worry the football doesn’t kick off until 20:00. I for one wouldn’t actually mind being in manchester to watch it… with any luck the weather will be good and some big screens might be put up in Piccadilly.

42. Vanderdecken says:

Ooh, £14.85 return from York… quantum physics exam on the Tuesday after… why the hell not. :D Any idea when you guys will stumble forth and proclaim the social to be a “triumphaphaump… teehee!” so I don’t get socially screwed over by train ticket booking?

Comment on this story