What Did You Play This Weekend?

By Jim Rossignol on May 2nd, 2011 at 10:41 am.

Hark, another sunny day here in the Isles, and also a national holiday for all the Britons. We should spend the day guzzling gin and smoking our pipes. Consequently it might be a bit quiet on this here computer gaming blog feed. In fact it would be quiet even if it were not a holiday. John has the pox and is abed. Alec has abandoned us to head abroad, and Quintin is posting about puzzles games. Well, at least there’s that. I’m just finishing off some thoughts on Darkspore, which I spent some of the weekend playing, and then I shall return to my return to Call Of Pripyat and the lovely Complete mod. Ah, lovely.

All of which leads to you telling us a bit about your weekend! Did you do computer games? If so which ones, and why? Points will be awarded for the best reasons, and the obscurest games. Speak!

1. Nidokoenig says:

I’ve been playing Pinky Street: Kira Kira Pop Princess on the DS, mostly as a way of procrastinating rather than work on my My Little Pony mod for Dwarf Fortress. Pop Princess is a pretty groovy little rhythm game with a dolly dress up thing for powering up your character, but the various bits and pieces are usually only effective in one part of town, like in TWEWY. I’ve been trying to get perfects on more difficult tracks so I can get prettier clothes to dress up my dolly.

Oh, I probably played a bit of AudioSurf, too.

• Wulf says:

“Pinky Street: Kira Kira Pop Princess”

Is it bad that I googled that based on the merits of the name alone? Also, this strangely reminds me of how much I want another good Princess Maker game. I really could use one. Aside from Princess Maker 2, are there any out there? Anyone know?

“My Little Pony mod for Dwarf Fortress.”

o_O

• Nidokoenig says:

Look upon my works, ye mighty, and tremble:

The version I’m working on now will clear up some glove issues, and add wood-painting workshop and buffalo and diamond dog civs. It might also include apple “ents” to get around the absence of fruiting trees if I can get that to work.

I’ll have to investigate Princess Maker. The concepts looks quite interesting. The dolly part in Pop Princess is really all about looking pretty or getting better stats, the storyline is essentially… Saints Row 2, now that I think about it. You have dance fights with people in different parts of the town and earn popularity points to dance fight with more people until you’re the grooviest girl in town. But the core of it a pretty good, challenging rhythm game.

• Wulf says:

Wow, that’s… something. Gah. Now I have to check out Dwarf Fortress again. And with it being Pony Fortress this time, it might just eat my life.

2. RagingLion says:

Completed Portal 2 (single player) on Saturday. An amazing amazing game. Left me feeling satisfied as if I’d just eaten a good meal.

3. Keilnoth says:

I sanded down a friend’s chalet and then went for some rock climbing… oh wait, video game you said ? Ah well, then Stracraft 2 and I bought Capsized which is pretty cool even though the mobs freak me (especially the flying green ones that make horrible screeching sounds).

• Wulf says:

I’m utterly fascinated by those. >_> I want to know how they work.

4. mod the world says:

I played a bit of the Witcher 1, to prepare for the successor and Natural Selection 2, which is finally in a playable state.
    REASON: It was cold and rainy outside and i hate humans.

5. Squirrelfanatic says:

I spend my time outside in the sun and the fresh air. Had a blast.

• Burning Man says:

A pox upon thee, ye outside lover! May your muscles shine slightly less brightly and the women form more orderly queues to molest thee!

6. dawnmane says:

I have this job where I look after this 10-year old kid one weekend each month, and this weekend I introduced him to Heroes of Might and Magic V. He was just as amazed by it as I was when I played Heroes 2 when I was his age, and for a moment there I felt just like I imagine a really proud father would. He’s gonna grow to be a fine armchair general someday :)

7. Edawan says:

Not a lot of play time. I advanced a bit in the Portal 2 commentary, and played the new dungeons in WoW.

8. catmorbid says:

Played a bunch of World of Tanks (great game!), then Cargo! (Another great game!) and a little bit of this and that.

9. bascule42 says:

Niether obscure nor a very good reason for playing:

But this weekend, I ar bin mostly playin’ Neverwinter Nights 2. Why? Because Ah’m woth it.

• Wulf says:

I liked NWN2. Though the Mask of the Betrayer expansion was… simply glorious. One of the greatest moments of gaming history in this humble oddball’s opinion.

10. JayTee says:

A frankly obscene amount of Shogun 2. Not really got into the multiplayer much, primarily as I’m running a few mods which disable the multiplayer annoyingly. Kinda annoying that CA didn’t come up with a way to run mods but have the game revert back to defaults when doing multiplayer, particularly in the drop-in campaign.

I was really looking forward to playing a campaign and dropping in on other people’s campaigns but it turns out I’d have to play a no-mod campaign just to be able to do this. Most disappointing :(

• Jimbo says:

I finished up my Long Hard (titter) Shimazu campaign.

The game plays well enough and the difficulty was about right… but it still felt unsatisfying. The lack of siege maps was a real bummer, and I ended up fighting dozens of almost identical siege battles over and over again on identical maps. The back half of the game where it just becomes you vs. everybody also sucks a lot of fun out of the game, because trade and diplomacy go right out the window.

They did make some important improvements this time around (for the most part battles play out like you might reasonably expect them too, rather than the AI just spazzing out randomly), but whatever the next game is (hopefully Rome 2) just needs a lot more variety in all areas.

11. Dominic White says:

This weekend, I mostly played Terraria! I even recorded gameplay videos to share with you lovely people.

http://www.diygamer.com/2011/05/terraria_adventucast_ep1/ – I just released the second video, too.

It’s an ace little game. Word is that they may be releasing via Steam in the next couple of months. It’s really the opposite of Minecraft in a lot of ways. It’s structured, objective-oriented stuff. You’re always keeping an eye on the next progression milestone, rather than just reforming the world as you see fit.

It’s also very, very good.

• Wulf says:

Damn it, I want to play that now, too. Thanks to you Dominic I ended up watching the Let’s Plays of it, and yes, it does look really good. I had to stop watching them because I found it irritating that there was a game that looked that entertaining out there that I could not play. And I could rope my Minecraft friends into this.

Do me a favour and ask them something for me, though? Ask them if you can mod the sprites. I’m really not a fan of them, but if I can mod the sprites and the animations then I can either, myself, create some weird or wonderful playable entities for that world, commission someone to, or both!

12. inspirius says:

I had a LAN party this weekend so played quite a few games, these are the ones I can remember:

Borderlands
    Magicka
    Left 4 Dead
    Dogfighter
    GRAW
    Teeworlds
    Flatout 2
    BF 1942
    Alien Swarm
    Portal 2 co-op

Borderlands and Left 4 Dead were the big hits this time around probably because we haven’t played them at previous LANs and this time we had fewer players so we could have 2xBorderlands running or 1 Left 4 Dead versus.

13. frozenbyte says:

Age of Mythology. An extremely underappreciated classic.

14. YourMessageHere says:

I done finished Mass Effect 2. Hell of a game, despite the silly boss fight. Some people died who I didn’t want to die, so I decided to try again, but got interrupted by the arrival of my mum.

15. Vexing Vision says:

I played “Don’t take it personally, babe”. Still thinking about how absolutely awesome the character writing was.

Oh, and RIFT. And downloaded the Avadon for Windows demo, which I can’t wait for! Where’s the Wot I Think for Avadon? :)

• Wulf says:

I’m sorry but I was so disappointed by Avadon. It seemed like a play to the masses, leaving out the more strange elements of Avernum and trying to make it as straight a typical RPG as possible. When comparing it with Avernum and Geneforge, it’s fairly meh and dull in regards to its setting. I suppose Vogel just wanted something that would sell a lot this time instead of something that’s weird. But contrary to where I’ve bought Avernum and Geneforge games in the past due to them actually being interesting, I have no desire to buy this.

I’m sorry. I do like Spiderweb Software’s output, normally, but I feel let down by Vogel’s recent additions of Nethergate: Resurrection and Avadon. It feels… dare I say it? Dumbed down.

• Vexing Vision says:

Ah, that sounds bad… I like the concept. I love Avernum’s world since Exile, but never cared for Geneforge’s strangeness. I loved GeneForge 5 with the different cross-faction-treachery you could engage in though, which made it very worthwhile to play.

On the other hand, I love the idea of the individual characters. Need to see how that plays out.

Incidentally, your comment about Vogel’s games being “dumbed down” reminds me of my complaint about Avernum after playing Exile – and Avernum 5 and 6 were still really, really awesome.

16. zergrush says:

A boatload of Patapon 3 with friends, a couple of hours trying to learn how to play Blood Bowl.

• Wulf says:

I… really need to get and play that.

Is it better than 2?

• zergrush says:

It’s a bit harder and less grindier, there’s less farming for materials but you still have to grind a bit to level up. Also there’s no more squad-based play, you just use four heroes on single player. There was a trade-off between army management and a somewhat more rpg-y focus between 2 and 3. There are some new race and CTF levels that are pretty fun, and multiplayer is better due to the increased player count.

It’s a great game, easily one of the best things on PSP specially if you have some friends to play with. For 20 bucks it’s really a steal.

• Wulf says:

I shall grab that.

I think that if I play any more Disgaea Infinite on my PSP I’m going to end up talking like Gordon, with random affixed utterances of dood.

17. JackShandy says:

I’ve been reading the books the Witcher is based on- specifically, The Last Wish. Lovely stuff, but the end boss is giving me trouble.

• Plivesey says:

I’ve been eyeing up buying Last Wish for a while now, Amazon keeps sticking it on the front page for me. Is it worth a buy? Or would I be let down after having the story from the game?

• JackShandy says:

I’d say it’s worth it, especially if you liked the game. They add to the game’s story, not subtract from it. Keep in mind I haven’t completed the game, so I’m not sure how much overlap there is – but the opening cutscene’s situation is so much better in the book, seeing as you can understand the background behind the whole thing.

18. Robbeasy says:

A bit of Outcast

A wedge of Amnesia

And…….

Battle Slots!

19. Plivesey says:

Played a lot of STALKER CoP (plus Complete) myself actually. I tried Clear Sky but the capturing bases faction mechanic got very annoying, after almost capturing a base a required one was lost making all my effort useless.
    Call of Pripyat is a great game so far (I’m up to Pripyat), but I still think Shadow Of Chernobyl wins in terms of atmosphere and gameplay. This one seems too directed, whereas I remember lots of time spent in SoC just exploring the place. Perhaps its me, though.

20. Kadayi says:

After a friend was asking me on Steam for advice with M&B:W I got back into playing that for a bit, though having noted they now have Steam achievements I parked my existing character (with his vast dominion) and started afresh. Such a good game.

However of late I’ve become hopelessly addicted to Dragon Age legends. So 4 days to concentrate on that has been great. Helped by having a 24 hour double XP code.

21. Cradlejoe says:

This weekend I finally pulled my finger out my arse (take that how you will) and got on with learning how programming thingies in preparation for university.

22. phenom_x8 says:

Playing beneath a steel sky and shogun total war 2. but the shogun kind of dissapoint me, its make my rig shutdown for itself because of my procie was overheated when playing this game. Time to upgrade my athlon x2 4800+ I guess!

23. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Need for Speed 6 Hot Pursuit 2

What? I had it lying around…

Lars Westergren says:

Played Portal 2 for a while, then Dragon Age 2 until I realized that it felt like a chore. Decided I probably won’t finish it ever. Life is too short, and too many good games are coming out. So I started a new game of Fallout: New Vegas, decided to play as a despicable SOB who will side with Caesar (I usually go for Lawful-Good-Stupid. And in the game).

• Wulf says:

“(I usually go for Lawful-Good-Stupid. And in the game)”

Me too!

/max

Plus, it’s all too possible to have entirely ludicrous characters in that game, with the right mods, such as a gun-toting cowboy who riides into combat atop a hoverboard. Closely followed by his ‘pet’ deathclaw. (Though that guy never seems to take orders from me, likes me enough to follow me around though, probably because I kept him fed. But I’m not complaining. He helps and looks good whilst doing so!)

25. chokoladenudlen says:

Played Portal 2 for the umphteenth time, and also had the pleasure of introducing it to a friend who hadn’t yet received his copy. It’s amazing how entertaining it can be simply to watch someone toiling with the puzzles of that game :)

I also played through Bulletstorm, which I immediately regretted. That game is, hands down, the worst and most disappointing FPS game I’ve played in the past few years. It’s not even the equivalent of a B-movie, you have to move further down the alphabet. A D-movie / D-game, or so…

26. BobsLawnService says:

I’ve been playing Look After The Toddler With The Nasty Ear Infection and Avoid The Wife Who Is Going Through Some Violent Hormonal Episode. Oh, and a bit of The Witcher. Can’t wait for work tomorrow.

• Burning Man says:

Oh hey, I’m playing the Witcher too, in prep for TW2!

Oh, and I’m also single. HOW DO YOU LIKE DEM APPLES?!

• BobsLawnService says:

So how about that second chapter then?

• Burning Man says:

That’s precisely where I am right now. I’ve almost finished the Raymond detective quest line. Kinda curious to see if I actually get to fight Azar Javed. It should be very interesting.

27. Sonny B says:

Killing floor & Minecraft with some friends
    And then Stepmania and Touhou.

28. Vinraith says:

Bob Came in Pieces and Defense Grid solo, AI War and Magicka co-op.

29. jackflash says:

Call of Pripyat with the Complete mod by Artistpavel et al. F’n brilliant.

30. InsidiousBoot says:

I finished playing Mass Effect for the PC yesterday, I’ve always been evading that game for some reason since it ever was been launched. Now I still need to go and play Mass Effect 2 but that’s for another day.

31. Tei says:

All Point Bulletin Reloaded (PC) and Dungeon Raid (for iPod)

KindredPhantom says:

I played APB Reloaded all weekend. I think that the relaunched APB: Reloaded may have more success than APB.

• ninjapirate says:

I played APB:R all weekend as well!
      It still suffers from many of its old flaws, yet it remains to be one of the most addictive games I’ve played in the past couple of years.

• Thunderkor says:

Is the driving any better than it was before? That was the deal-breaker for me with the first version.

KindredPhantom says:

The driving and shooting is much better than before, though there is still room for improvement.
      Overall the changes to the gameplay being made are in my opinion for the better, it makes the game more accessible and a lot more fun.

33. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Minecraft. Made my first generation cobblestone generator.. and it looks nice, but it’s not as practical as it could’ve been. But I’ve decided to leave it as is.. I’ll try different designs on other worlds. Also, digging and tunneling and spelunking.

34. Poppis says:

Finished Max Payne for the umphteenth time. Also played some Mount&Musket(napoleon mod for warband), great fun!

35. magnus says:

This weekend it was; Aquaria, Capsized, AVP2, Sol Survivour,Front Mission : Evolved, Darksiders and CreaVures.

36. Berzee says:

Here I provide my critical input!

I played Oblivion for a wee bit (having just gotten some decent conjuration spells, I am experimenting with being lazy while my minion kills the world). But mostly I got around to playing I Have 1 Day, and it was *the bestest*.

I also played Legend of the Golden Robot for like 2 minutes, yees.

• Urthman says:

I also picked up Oblivion this weekend after a very long hiatus, isolated the mod that had been giving me all the crashes, removed it, and got on with recruiting some help for Bruma and gathering the Crusader’s relics.

One of my mods make the number of summonable creatures scale with your Conjuration skill. Also I’ve completed the Shivering Isles. So I had a whole squad of Golden Saints to send ahead of me whenever the Oblivion dungeons started getting tedious.

Also I love casting a weather control spell in Oblivion to replace the hellfire clouds with sunshine and rainbows. I like to imagine it striking fear and dread into the hearts of the Daedra whose link to Tamriel I’m about to destroy.

• Berzee says:

Lol — I hate the actual “Plane of Oblivion” in Oblivion so much that I set difficulty to 0% whenever I have to go there. It sounds like I need a Sunshine & Rainbows mod.

37. terry says:

Minecraft: Played for several hours, looking for rain. Eventually realised graphics were not set to “fancy”. Cooed at rain.

World in Conflict: Played tutorial. Got shouted at repeatedly by tiny man.

Alpha Protocol: Began “troublesome contrary asshole” run.

Mass Effect 2: Continued “troublesome contrary asshole” run.

Atom Zombie Smasher: Got trounced, again.

• CMaster says:

WiC is good, try to stick with it.

I actually find AZS really easy these days, unless I play on hardcore, at which point it seems nigh-impossible. Try using the new chooser mode maybe?

38. Imbecile says:

Alpha Protocol. Loving the concept, but fearing for the execution.

39. theSAiNT says:

Starcraft II: Because the Ladder Calls.

L4d2: Because my friends need me to hold their hands while they try to escape from zombies.

40. Chakawi says:

Tyrant (even if it’s partly evil)

41. bartleby says:

Ace of Spades for too long and DCS A-10. I’m not sure what the connection is there.

SquidgyB says:

I’ve been hooning around in Rise of Flight – WWI combat sim.

Seeing as the latest and greatest of the WWII flight sims is currently a bug ridden mess (but outstandingly promising, if you’ll wait, mmm, maybe 3-6 months), I thought I’d go a bit further back in time, and relive my Biggles fantasies.

43. mbp says:

Good lord, reading this comments thread has been something of an eye-opener. Most of the games listed are oldies. I think Portal 2 got a couple of mentions but aside from that I strained to find any recent releases.
    In musical terms it feels like I am looking at the playlist from BBC radio 2.
    Given that RPS is surely one of the most influential PC gaming websites what does this all mean? Is it that we PC gamers are a discerning lot who are not influenced by hype or is it just that we are all old fogies who have passed the point of relevance?

• Wulf says:

Sales + GoG = Explanation!

• bartleby says:

I think it means we all finished Portal 2 last week. I’ve been playing a bit with commentary on, but it feels like there’s less of it this time around. Big gaps without it, at least. Still a lovely game.

44. Tonamel says:

Starcraft the first. I’ve still never played it all the way through, even after all this time. Maybe this go-around!

45. Giaddon says:

Been playing through some action games from a couple years ago: Singularity, Dark Void, and Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. All very fun, and well worth the ten bucks each I spent on ‘em.

Also: Bulletstorm, which completely blew me away. I’m about halfway through my second playthrough, and it’s great, but — kicking dudes into deadly things should give a quarter of the skillpoints. 100 points for hitting “E”? Lame.

46. bleeters says:

Dawn of war: dark crusade. Whaddya know, drag selecting ten Dark Reaper squads still works!

• Kaira- says:

I myself only play Space Marines. I don’t know why, but I simply can’t (read: don’t know how to) play any other race, though Orks seem like something I might enjoy.

• bleeters says:

Dark Reapers are to Eldar what Heavy Bolters are to Space Marines: Infantry-b-gone buttons.

Orks are great fun, I’d say try them out. You’re pitted against Tau first anyway in the singleplayer, and your starting commander tears them to pieces, so you’ve got time to figure it out. The only real complication is that their tech tree is advanced by either a) training more Orks, or b) building waaagh banners, rather than the ‘click this research to unlock more stuff’ style the Space Marines have.

Build banners. Lots of banners.

47. arghstupid says:

I finally got around to giving Recettear a go and was pleasently surprised when it made me laugh repeatedly. On the flip side, it has the most irritating music I’ve heard in about a decade..

48. Po0py says:

Been playing a good deal of Stalker Call of Pripyat. After missing Clear Sky I can say that Pripyat is way, way more easy to get into than Shadow of Chernobyl. As I remember in SoC I was yomping for miles to a mission, finding the enemies were way to overpowered, having to retreat and find side missions so I could purchase better equipment and more ammo and then try again. In Pripyat the progression is much more subtle and much less frustrating. You pretty much know where you stand with regard to the plot and what you need to do so I’m having a great time with it. It still has the clunky, unintuitive PDA/map/quest log system. It’s early days yet but that’s really my only complaint so far.

49. Bureaucrat says:

Mostly Civ V. I’ve come back to it after a few months away to find it a much-transformed game, thanks to that major balance patch that came out about 2 months ago.

Also, some netbook time-killing with Might & Magic 4-5. This game breaks about 500 rules of good game design, but the core RPG XP/Loot/Ability progression is strong, and the M&M series in general is probably the one I am most unreasonably nostalgic about. M&M 1 was the very first CRPG I ever played.

50. Fumarole says:

Deus Ex for the first time since forever. I’ll stick with it this time.