What Did You Play This Weekend?

By Jim Rossignol on May 2nd, 2011 at 10:41 am.

Hark, another sunny day here in the Isles, and also a national holiday for all the Britons. We should spend the day guzzling gin and smoking our pipes. Consequently it might be a bit quiet on this here computer gaming blog feed. In fact it would be quiet even if it were not a holiday. John has the pox and is abed. Alec has abandoned us to head abroad, and Quintin is posting about puzzles games. Well, at least there’s that. I’m just finishing off some thoughts on Darkspore, which I spent some of the weekend playing, and then I shall return to my return to Call Of Pripyat and the lovely Complete mod. Ah, lovely.

All of which leads to you telling us a bit about your weekend! Did you do computer games? If so which ones, and why? Points will be awarded for the best reasons, and the obscurest games. Speak!

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bennyjh says:

An obscene amount of Haven & Hearth… its rather addictive.

Foosnark says:

Champions Online.

Wanted to play Portal 2 co-op with the wife, but she opted for actually getting some sleep.

3. theimpossibleman says:

Played through Army of Two with my brother over the weekend and beat it in two sittings. Had a blast…great coop!

4. bwion says:

Mostly I’m playing Sacred 2 at the moment. Because it lets me be a dog-headed robot who fights elves with lasers.

5. Moonracer says:

Most interestingly, I started dabbling in Battlefield 2 as I’d never played it. I haven’t played much but I’m already thinking of dropping it and going back to 2142, which I played a lot a few years back and remember fondly. Only Online FPS I liked enough to join a clan.

I’m wondering if/when we will see a battlefield 3 video that gives us an idea of map sizes/open-ness.

6. bobdisgea says:

I finished planescape torment for the first time tonight. I feel like a better person.

7. Betamax says:

Trucking on with The Witcher EE. Enjoying it so far, although I agree with those I’ve seen say that the Swamp in Chapter 2 is quit-worthy. Dreading going back there in C3 which I’m working my way through at the moment.

Definitely a great game but also incredibly flawed in places as well, reminds me of DA2 in that respect.

It has also made me do two things:
    1) Dig out my copy of Jade Empire. The combat makes me nostalgic for it amongst other things, and it’s been quite a while since I completed it.
    2) Pre-order The Witcher 2. Quite late to the party but I’ve been following TW2 closely. I don’t even have a computer that can run it yet! But I’m in the process of building a new desktop that can so… Hopefully I’ll have that sorted by the time of release.

8. Thunderkor says:

Been getting back into Minecraft, and Saturday night had a great run where I got lost in a cave, found lots of lapis lazuli and iron, got withing a heart or so of dying, dug my way back up to the surface with way too many close calls, positive that I was completely lost – only to find myself within site of my temporary mining shelter.

Then it crashed right after I unloaded my goodies into a chest, and when the game came back all the stuff i put in the chest was gone. I felt justified in replacing it via InvEdit, as I only replaced what the crash stole from me.

Oh that and a fair amount of Global Agenda. I like it, but not as much as I want to, if that makes sense. Also agonized over whether I should purchase Section 8: Prejudice.

Ordered Portal 2 from Amazon, waiting on it to arrive now. Feel silly ordering a physical copy to be shipped, but it was the cheapest deal I could find and I hate paying full price.

9. The Innocent says:

Finals.

Also, Capsized.

More Capsized than I should have played.

10. calavera says:

Started playing Mount and Blade based on the demo and Steam sale. Liking it so far, but I must say I’m kind of confused as to what I’m supposed to be doing :)

• Berzee says:

It’s a bit sandboxy, so setting your own goals is the best way to get the most fun out of it. =) Are you playing the new one? (I only know about Warband).

In one game, I tried to bring an existing king ultimate victory over the land, but I got tired of the loooong sieges, so I restarted and chose a different route. I hired the bare minimum of men, replacing them with companions as I went (because companions can level up and are cheap) and I gave everyone blunt weapons, and trained my prisoner management skills 2 tha max! and bought the fastest horses I could…and I became a great and legendary slaver, feared among bandits. =P

Then I sold the prisoners and bought businesses in as many towns as I could manage, so that I could be assured of everlasting riches.

Then I bought Recettear and the rest is history. o_O

• Jim Rossignol says:

I desperately need to play more Mount & Blade.

• sinister agent says:

You are of course free to muck about as you see fit, but a good start would be to make some money by trading, hire a few recruits from villages and hunt Looters (Looters are the weakest enemies in the game and great combat practice) and/or speak to the Guild Masters in the cities (you’ll have to wander around a bit, sadly) for some usually quite easy money missions. Do that until you’ve got enough money to buy whatever nice equipment takes your fancy, and/or one or more of your weapon skills is a bit healthier. Then you’re in a better position to wander round looking for trouble.

You might also find it fun to enter the arena – tournaments are rough and one-off – when it’s over, you have to find the next tournament. But you can practice in the arena anytime for free, with no danger. That’ll give you a little combat practice, some skill increases, and a few pennies if you knock down enough people.

11. m3metix says:

About 2/3rds of the way through Capsized. I’m really enjoying it, even if it can feel a little “grindy” because sometimes there are A LOT of enemies that take many hits to kill. I’ve found the solution is to practice doing crazy maneuvers with the gravity hook while taking out the enemies. Also, not so much a negative about the game, but I am super disappointed with all the negative “I thought it was a metroidvania style game” comments. Get over it and enjoy a great game!
    I also played a couple hours of Singularity, a bunch of ArmA2 and some MineCraft (with the PlasticCraft mod).

12. Jake says:

The Game of Thrones boardgame. Ned sailed to King’s Landing and got killed en route. Lannisters were generally awesome as per usual. There was much treachery.

13. Om says:

Mount and Blade: Warband
    Minecraft
    Football Manager 2010

14. Adriaan says:

Project Reality (BF2 mod), on a 200 player server! It was rather awesome…

Man Raised by Puffins says:

Wot? TF2
    Why? Hats!

16. Conor says:

Exams begin tomorrow, so not too much, although I have squeezed in some manshooting here and there to relieve stress.

17. Waltorious says:

I’ve been playing The Witcher (for the first time!) so I can be ready for The Witcher 2. And I must say, I am very impressed with it. I’m going to have to track down the books now.

Gabbo says:

I finally beat Deus Ex after having it installed on my various pc’s for over a decade and never getting out of New York. I have conquered this giant!
    I don’t quite know how I feel about the game yet, but dammit if I don’t want to go back and play it again completely differently than this play through.

19. Palsang says:

Seventeen hours of Warband. Twenty-six if you count nine hours of the demo on Friday.

Rikard Peterson says:

I finally finished Portal! (The first game.) After being stuck on the five-minute timer at the end for a long time, I finally managed to complete it. Feels good.
    Edit: And a big thanks to those who recommended Blur to me! I started playing it today, and am blown away. I haven’t had this fun in a racing game since Rollcage 2!

• Moonracer says:

Oh man I forgot about Rollcage! I never new there was a sequel. I’ll have to look it up ( or dig out my disk for the first one. Glad you are enjoying blur

21. Frank says:

Bioshock, again.

Man, that game is long. Deus Ex is really **** long too, as I realized recently.

22. karthink says:

Max Payne 2 (The Fall Of Max Payne)
    I’d heard good things about it. ’twas rather short though; finished it in two sittings.

Starcraft II (the campaign)
    Because it’s atmospheric as hell and brimming with detail.

• Dominic White says:

I remember nearly getting lynched back in the day for suggesting that Max Payne 2 wasn’t worth the full asking price on launch day, having beaten it in a single 4-hour sitting, on hard mode. It was pretty neat, but I actually preferred the longer, more varied original.

23. Cheese says:

Started with DF. Ended with X-COM.

24. a.simons613 says:

I played minecraft. Looking forward to the maps in 1.6
    also Ace of Spades has potential.

25. laddyman says:

Borderlands (<3) and some Left4Dead2 custom campaigns.

Bricka bricka!

26. Tom Camfield says:

Torchlight, after the GamersGate (was it?) sale. £3. It’s lovely. Plus, I went walking with chums around a big lake and hit up some fort somewhere that bikers use, and was closed. Hijinks.

27. laikapants says:

A bit of M&B: Warband multi mixed with copious amounts of a new singleplayer much about session while I wait for the new ExpandAlone.

Also a few rounds of BC2: Vietnam, but the server was laggy and I was too lazy to go in search of others.

28. catzilla says:

This bank holiday monday I just got horribly addicted to dungeon crawl. Just get some keen gear and then bam, mobbed by a bunch of orc priests.

*sighs* just one more go…

29. CrankyChipmonk says:

I sat down on Friday and played psychonauts for the first time ever. I’ve stayed up until 5am-ish the last two nights because i didn’t want to stop. Quite an amazingly fun and funny game that is.

30. Mut says:

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines. And if you need to ask why, you should go sit in the corner. Any corner. Preferably a dark one. Yeah.

Worldbeing says:

Blast from the surprisingly distant past… I’ve been replaying Max Payne. Still one of the best games for senseless violence and easy gunplay.

32. cookie says:

World of Warcraft, ’cause I’m one of those nerds.

drewski says:

Halo: Reach and Fable III, both on consoletoy.

I’m sorry Jim :-(

MrPants says:

LOTRO. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve returned to the MMO fold for the first time in years. Someone gave me a long weekend trial key for Rift, and it was like a massive saccharine binge – fun for a while, but ultimately unfulfilling and ending in remourse. LOTRO is a leisurely Sunday roast accompanied by a cold pint of stout. Where Rift was a breathless treadmill of mandatory action, LOTRO feels like a place you inhabit, carefully crafted from aged lore. The ubiquitous Everquest template will of course begin to chafe after a while, but when that time comes I’ll sleep easy knowing I only paid for what I wanted and used, and if the urge strikes again next year I can jump in and continue where I left off.

amishmonster says:

I went to a LAN party, whereupon my computer started blue-screening whenever I launched anything other than a web browser. It was not awesome.

36. Emergency Rations says:

Slowly grinding my way through the swamp section of the Witcher in anticipation of the sequel… all the time hoping the rest of the game makes this worth the effort…

37. Optimaximal says:

Another World… every time I think i’ve just managed to escape the beast, one of those bloody worms bites my leg and I die.

I have a feeling I won’t be finishing it very soon.

38. jakonovski says:

I am unable to do anything except play World of Tanks.

39. Fathom says:

Half-Life 2!

Plz watch this I need precious exposure to RPS people who have enjoyed my stuff in the past.

Also Jim doesn’t respond to emails.

• Jake says:

That is really great. Combining Half Life 2 and The National is a pretty sure thing though in my book, I’ll plug it.

40. Blackberries says:

Played the entirety of Gemini Rue on Sunday after being reminded of it by a Giant Bomb Quick Look. It was brilliant. Before that I spent a couple of hours hammering away at Desktop Dungeons, which is pleasant but I think I’ve already exhausted what it has to offer.

On Saturday I was getting frustrated at a difficult FreeSpace 2 mission and at not being able to connect to L4D2 games nine times out of ten. I also went on a small Flash game binge thanks to Extra Credits’ previous-to-last episode (Every Day the Same Dream, One Chance, The Company of Myself).

Finally got round to trying Uplink yesterday.

And of course the near-constant Pokémon HeartGold and White. But that isn’t PC.

41. amorpheous says:

TL;DR version: I played Oblivion, mostly, with a sprinkling of ‘The Wonderful End of the World’, Cogs, and Rush.

After finishing the much anticipated Portal 2 within the first 48 hours of launch (hey, I was working those two days too), I was back to my usual dilemma of “Which game shall I play?”, a decision I sometimes take days mulling over because I’m either bored or frustrated over where I’m currently up to in the many games that I haven’t finished yet (I have over 100 games in Steam alone).

It’s gotten to the point where I keep telling myself I shouldn’t buy any more games until I’ve finished at least the ones that are supposed to be decent, but still I ended up buying Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition off Steam last night (‘coz it was cheap, innit). Unfortunately, it was bedtime before it was done downloading.

There is one game that I know I can always rely on when I have this problem and that’s Oblivion. I’ve never actually finished the main quest even though I have over 100 hours of play time racked up because I feel I have to try and complete every single side quest I come across in the game (this goes for most RPGs I play and is why I have a love/hate relationship with them). But I seem to be getting bored a lot more quickly with Oblivion now than I used to so after a few hours it’s back to faffing about trying to find something else worth playing. Oh well…

42. akemichan88 says:

Finally picked up Dragon Age: Origins again and finished it. Slayed the archdemon, let Morrigan have her bastardchild, made Alistair king and myself Queen.

I tell you, we will be the new William & Kate.