Demo: The Wonderful Towers Of Mr Imp

By John Walker on May 3rd, 2011 at 1:00 pm.

Take THAT, Crysis 2.

There’s a point at which looking back on my life can just be humiliating. I was SO rubbish at the classic platformers on the Spectrum. I don’t think I ever got past the third screen of either Manic Miner or Chuckie Egg 2. Honestly, I’m a shame to this entire industry. Orm & Cheep was about my level. So the rather snazzy The Wonderful Towers Of Mr Imp both impresses me and reminds me what a cack-handed buffoon I am. It’s an 8-bit puzzle platformer from Chinese indie dev 8bitattitude, with a sizeable demo.

It’s tough. Well, actually, it’s easy and tough. Levels are played through twice, first with some relatively simple platform bouncing, and then again with rearranged platforms and all manner of dangers. The idea is to complete as many rooms as you can in a tower, with the five lives you’re given. I can complete one rooms. (Well, that’s not quite true – I just can’t complete them in a row. Because I’m a cack-handed buffoon.)

It’s absolutely definitely worth downloading the demo. And the full game is only $5.

Unfortunately the video for the game is currently not working, so in its place I’m putting a guide for how to complete Pac-Man on the Atari 5200. No, it’s my pleasure.

, , , , , .

stahlwerk says:

Huh, didn’t know Let’s Plays were 29 years old. Quality game skills, but he talked over the cartoon shows.

tomeoftom says:

I think their server isn’t appreciative of what you’ve done to it, Mr. Walker – I’m downloading at like 5kbps

Olero says:

No no, you got that wrong: A game of this size and graphics must be downloaded at 14k4 speed. It’s optimized for that. I’d recommend playing it at a .386 as well! ;)

• Per Ellefsen says:

Sorry to hear that the servers are slow. They are actually located in Norway, as I am a Norwegian citizen currently living in Shanghai.
      Usually they are quite fast on weekdays.

3. BooleanBob says:

It’s a good, fun game with some fairly ingenious design in spots. Unfortunately a lot of the difficulty comes from the haphazard way the character handles – whether or not you’ll jump with sufficient forward momentum to clear a gap seems much more difficult to predict than it should be. As a result I found it too frustrating to want to play past the demo.

• Per Ellefsen says:

I am glad to hear that you found the game fun. I am worrying about what you said about the way the character handles, as that is where I put most of my work in a game like this. Did you experience slowdown while playing? Appart from the initial inertia, the character should handle evenly.

• BooleanBob says:

Obviously in a game where a few pixels can the difference between success and failure this is a pretty major issue if the player doesn’t realise what’s happening. But once I was aware of the mechanic, counter-intuitive though it seemed, it was less of a frustration – because the game felt fair again.

• Per Ellefsen says:

Yes, what you described is what is actually happening. It seems intuitive to me, though I do not like too strong an inertia in platformers myself.

• SackManDoo says:

Everything is done very well, and I like the game, but Bob has said it about the handling of Mr. Imp; I’ve yet to make it out of the second barrel alive. It quickly became frustrating as I [poorly] tried to guess how much time his large rump would spend building momentum! I want to spend some more time and see if I get used to it, though.

“Hey, so I’ve given it another quick go and I think I’ve worked out what was bothering me. The initial inertia you mention only kicks in – or at least is much more pronounced – when the character turns around. So if you move forward and jump from a starting stop, you’ll go full distance. If you turn around and jump, even if you take a step first, your jump won’t travel as far.”

GibletHead2000 says:

My parents wrote Orm and Cheep. I remember it very well, I think me and my sister were pretty much the only beta testers, although I was six at the time.

5. Timofee says:

Not sure if I’ve used the correct tags here, but here goes:

“I was SO rubbish at the classic platformers on the Spectrum. I don’t think I ever got past the third screen of either Manic Miner or Chuckie Egg 2″

The (seemingly) incredible difficulty of old games has been mentioned multiple times before on RPS and continues to fascinate me.

I can remember playing The Last Ninja on C64 where I swear my brother and I never got past the first obstacle (unfortunately I have no memory of what it was) and yet we persisted playing this game so many times.

I’m intrigued to know whether this was as a result of my child like innocence (!) or whether games were still in such a developmental phase that my expectations of what a game was, and what was acceptable were greatly different than they would be now. Sadly being a confirmed burly-man ™ adult I am incapable of answering this question. I suspect the answer is: ‘a bit of both’ but I request RPS restart the ill-fated, Aperture-sponsored non-adult human testing program to validate my hypothesis.

• Gabe McGrath says:

If you got stuck early on in The Last Ninja (C64) I’m guessing you couldn’t pass ‘the swamp’. Even the programmer, in recent years, has admitted it was too hard. (In a Retro Gamer interview)

6. J Arcane says:

If you really dig this sort of old school platformer, I really can’t recommend Rocky Memphis enough. It’s heavily inspired by the old Rick Dangerous games, with a mindblowingly authentic C64 look and sound.

It was one of the last releases announced on the sadly departed Retro Remakes site. You can get it free here: http://rocky.ovine.net/

7. Raithah says:

Was the video you were trying to post this one? It seems to be working now :D. In case it’s only I who can see it, though; here’s a TinyPic mirror. I hope that isn’t copyright violation D:

• Per Ellefsen says:

Yes, that is the video. I can get it working some times but not always. I don’t know what is wrong with Todou.
      Thank you for putting it up on TinyPic! Of course, living in China right now, I can not actually view it.