Monday Night Combat’s Update Is Insane

By Jim Rossignol on May 3rd, 2011 at 12:33 pm.

Monday Night Combat is getting an update for Uncle Tully’s Funland. It has one of the most incredible trailers yet produced for a videogame (see below) and it features some kind of battle-chicken: “Make Chickey fly away by shooting him and earn a big single-life buff for your entire team! Wait for Chickey to slam the ground and then you can grapple him. Ride him for eight seconds and earn big money! “

We should probably sort out some RPS games of MNC, right? Right.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Text_Fish says:

Zany.

2. Koozer says:

I played the free weekend to death a while back, but I went to buy it after the sale ended…I hope there’s another sale to hark the arrival of the update.

3. Tams80 says:

That is INSANE! TF2 and your hats, you have nothing on this; NOTHING you hear me?!

4. Majikkan says:

What is this I don’t even…

5. Out Reach says:

what just happened…

6. Kdansky says:

I would totally play it if it had an FPS-mode. Because then I would actually be able to hit something, but like this, all my finely honed senses are thrown off, since projectiles do not originate from where I am looking, but from a point somewhere to my lower left. It also has atrocious cross hairs.

• gorgol says:

Hmm I have to disagree. Playing as the dude with the massive machine gun I found it way too easy to pwn everyone and come top of the score boards every, single, time when I played it during the sale. Lack of challenge stopped me from buying it.

EDIT: and as a side note I also disliked the lack of sense of community. Rarely met the same people twice.

• Ricc says:

Judging the playerbase of a game during a free weekend is a bad idea. The skill-level of your average public server always rises dramatically as soon as said weekend is over. That’s why most regular players view those as annoying or simply “hunting season”.

7. Arclight says:

Could you run that by me again? Didn’t quite catch that.
    It’s a little… disturbing, to be honest. With the music and all.

edit: Actually, it strikes me as the mutant offspring of the unholy union of Raving Rabbits and Super Smash Bros.

8. JackShandy says:

I’ll definetly be chicken this out.

9. chickdigger802 says:

*wipes tear*

PC gaming.

• Wulf says:

Except for the fact that this started life as a console title and was ported to the PC. >_>

In fact, there was a time when console zaniness even outshone PC zaniness. ‘Tis true, young one! Though it was a time ago, it did exist, and few things were zanier than Decap Attack, for instance.

This is just the merest glimmer of the zaniness that consoles used to have.

• HermitUK says:

“few things were zanier than Decap Attack”

Wizkid.

• KaL_YoshiKa says:

C64 / Amiga pretty much beat out any sort of console craziness (and then it gets even crazier if you include Japanese computers).

• Wulf says:

Okay, I reiterate my point. The consoles were great at achieving that special balance of something being incredibly zany whilst still having a point, a plot, and memorable characters. Yes, as an old home computer owner myself, I remember stuff like Creatures, but the consoles took that and actually gave it substance. Just in my humble opinion, zaniness is kind of worthless without substance to back it up.

Here’s an example!

Wizkid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V12cYRmlekEa
      Decap Attack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KuGjqjY9-o

And I’m still tempted to say that Decap Attack beats it out on the weirdness quotient anyway! And yet… I haven’t even brought Plok into this.

So have some Plok: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7dbot0MY0k&feature=player_detailpage#t=29s
      And have some more Plok: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIi8qQZE4oo

Of course, both of these games are about critters that throw body parts at people. Not quite sure what that says about me.

(Whoops, linked the wrong Wizkid video.)

• DrGonzo says:

Have you played the xbox version then wulf? I would say its a brilliant argument for pc gaming, as the pc version is so much better.

Also, well done onsucking the fun out of his comment.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Decap attack is especially zany when you realize the original japanese version -was a completly different game- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decap_Attack – being a westernized version of Magical Hat no Buttobi Tabo! Daibōken.

Alot of the Console Wackyness from back in the day was due to the fly by night nature of development (alot of indy developers- development was cheap back then in cartidge days) as well as amusing translation and international hijinks (alot of developers from different countries) and outright pirated or illegally produced software.

What does that sound like today? Thats right, PC’s.

10. DSR says:

I’m not sure how I feel about being forced to ride a huge cock for points.
    Gives the “take one for the team” a whole new meaning.

What?

11. Corrupt_Tiki says:

They must of been on some wicked Charlie Sheen when they thought of that idea.

12. stahlwerk says:

Did you know…

…the colour of a hen’s eggs can not be reliably predicted by the colour of their feathers, but by the colour of their ears.

…the hue of the egg’s yolk is optimised towards customer market expectations by feeding the hens with carotenoid enriched feed. Consumer preference in europe diverge strongly, with northern europeans prefering bright or pale yellow yolk while southern europeans prefer golden or orange hues.

• DSR says:

This is mighty impressive!
      I always disliked bright “orange” yolk. Now I know why.
      My northern ancestors were protecting me from eating cheap half breed south weakling eggs.

• Koozer says:

The most disturbing thing in the egg-popping scene in Ghostbusters is that the eggs are bright white.

13. Ricc says:

According to Kotaku, Chikey is based on a real chicken.

14. Bhazor says:

0:11
    Hmmm, the Scouts sex change was a big success.

15. Chalee says:

I love the Morricone in purgatory vibe they’ve got going when they sing ‘Chickeeeeen’.

16. Alexander Norris says:

This video does not contain enough Pit Girl.

17. Olivaw says:

What’s that, Monday Night Combat? I should play more of you? But I’ve already played almost forty hours of you!

What’s that? I can ride a giant chicken?

Oh, okay.

18. sleepy says:

Until they fix the huge amount of aimbotting in this game I won’t play it again.

19. JayTee says:

I fired up MNC last night and figured I’d stretch the old Pyro Tank legs. There were 3 servers running that weren’t empty or full and they had ~4 people per server. Expanding it out to full servers there were < 30 servers with anyone on.

It's been a while, about 2 months really, since I played MNC but has the playerbase really died off that much or was that just a bad night?

Comment on this story