No PC Demo For Red Faction: Armageddon?

By John Walker on May 3rd, 2011 at 4:05 pm.

Just acknowledge we exist - that's all we ask.

If it weren’t for my throat being quite so epically sore, I’d be sighing long and hard enough to power a hovercraft. After all of Volition’s trumpeting about finally treating the PC as an equal, no longer farming out PC versions of their games, and generally trying to sell themselves as the PC gamer’s bestest friend, the same old tiresome nonsense is occurring. Want to play the demo of Red Faction: Armageddon, a month before the full game comes out? Well, get a 360 then. And if the PS3 ever claws its way out of its current embarrassing mess, they’ll release the demo on that, too. But the PC? Um, cough.

There’s no apology, no explanation, no mention that one of the three formats is missing. There’s nothing saying, “We’re still working on the PC version, so…” or some mad attempt to blame it on piracy. Just nothing, just ignored.

So it’s the same old contempt as ever. It’s not even so much as the lack of the PC demo. Maybe THQ are mad enough to have not let them or something? But it’s that it’s not even deemed worthy mentioning that it’s lacking. In March Volition boss Eric Barker told Eurogamer,

“You should see [the PC version of Red Faction: Armageddon], it looks absolutely beautiful. If you’ve got a great graphics card it looks fantastic. We definitely believe PC games are great and if they’re done right and done well by a studio, they’re phenomenal. There’s a lot of debate and discussion. I can’t predict the future, but I’m really happy with how Red Faction: Armageddon looks on PC. It’s beautiful.”

Yeah, we’d love to see it too.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. unangbangkay says:

Well, at least they haven’t started mocking us yet *coughBulletstormcough*

2. magnus says:

That’s probably because Microsoft paid for the demo to not be on PC, there’s no earthly reason why there shouldn’t be a demo availibleI can think of.

• Kelduum Revaan says:

It’s often claimed that demo code can be used to reverse engineer the protection on the final release of a game, which gives the nefarious types a leg up when it comes to getting a pirate version out before retail.

No idea if that’s the actual reason, but you never know it may be an excuse.

• rocketman71 says:

The same can be said of the demo code for the consoles. In fact, many games are being pirated for the consoles before they are released for the PC, but you don’t see publishers point the finger at console gamers and call them thieves and pirates, do you?.

Regarding RF: Armageddon, I was going to look it up after the EG article, but seeing that it’s another bunch of empty words, fuck Volition. I have better games to play from developers that work hard to deserve my monies.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Once upon a time, that was the case with a few companies who forgot to DRMify their demos and released unobfuscated executable code.

1) Treat your demo the same as the real game, except with free licenses for all, and 2) oops, it’s going to be cracked in a matter of days anyway.

• thegooseking says:

@rocketman71
      Like it or not (and I do), the PC market is much more fragmented than the console market. Not that everything on the console is the same, but there’s a lot less variety. The knock-on effect of that is that a game has to be a lot more competitive to see serious PC sales; it’s not that the PC gaming market is small, it’s that PC gamers are more likely to buy something else instead. This is a lot the same as what’s happened to music over the decades, as a greater availability and accessibility to exactly what you want to hear means you’re less likely to buy what the label-distributor-retailer compact wants you to buy. (They tried to blame that on pirates, too.)

That could go both ways. Piracy has a bigger impact on PCs than it does on consoles because it’s taking a chunk out of a more slender margin caused by a more competitive market. In that sense, publishers are justified in blaming PC piracy while (largely) ignoring console piracy. On the other hand, though, you do get developers and publishers blaming piracy to deflect from their lack of ability to be competitive.

• arghstupid says:

@thegoosseking, not a great analogy.

Recorded music sales, see page three of this, have been falling since 2001, which is about when MP3s started to become mainstream.

Although I think the influence of piracy has been overstated, it’s definately a factor. Those numbers are from the BPI via the PRS, who represent indies and self released artists as well as the major labels – it’s not people buying a wider variety, it’s people buying less overall.

On the other hand the video game industry has been growing healthily for most of that time (I think it was hit by the whole global financial system nearly falling over in 2008 but the only figures a quick google turned up stop at 2007)

This is probably as video games have been pirated on a fairly grand scale for many years, where as music was fairly small scale (taping of the radio/library/mates/dodgy market stalls) until recently. There are a lot of people who listen to a lot of music but never buy any these days. There were relatively few 10 years ago.

Definately other factors involved, and the majors have been hit disproportionately hard, partially due to the factors you highlighted, but the recorded music industry is contracting whereas the game industry isn’t, or at least hasn’t been for much of the last decade.

3. ZIGS says:

Good thing there’s other ways to try games before buying them on PC

• magnus says:

So were you going to torrent it all along or was the fact that there’s no apparant demo an excuse now (facepalm)?

• Heliocentric says:

Metaboli.

• Thants says:

magnus: The second one.

• DrGonzo says:

While I’m not going to pirate it myself its pretty hard to argue that no demo doesn’t encourage piracy. Regardless of your “superior” morals.

4. Azradesh says:

Meh. : /

5. Pointless Puppies says:

Which is why I always remain skeptical when a studio goes out of its way to say “We’re totally taking the PC platform seriously, guyz!” In fact, if anything that’s all the more reason to be skeptical, as can be seen right here.

• SquareWheel says:

Scumbag Microsoft: Guys, we’re totally gonna work on PC gaming now. *releases GFWL*

• JimmyTheCannon says:

Seriously – I’m so sick of the PC getting shafted. What happened to the days when PC Gaming was the way to go? Why have unupgradeable hardware packages with limited input taken over? It makes no sense.

• Gvaz says:

Why does Apple make Macs? Same reason. Lock it down, make you buy their console and accessories, force you to rebuy their stuff every couple years. They effectively make you into signing an agreement without ever putting your pen to the paper.

6. Rii says:

Oh dear, whatever shall we do without a demo for generic brown FPS #3142?

7. magnus says:

The fact that the 360 demo comes out first only confims my supicion.

• QualityJeverage says:

I’m fairly sure it was supposed to be a simultaneous release on the 360 and PS3. But the current issues with PSN make that rather difficult…

8. Heliocentric says:

In other news handed waited for the sale/ignored the game on response to developers accidentally acknowledging the game being rubbish with the absence of a demo.

9. mouton says:

No demo=more piracy.

Congratulations.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

That’s for laughs. As if Piracy needed an excuse. Getoutahere!
      Besides, I’m confused. Aren’t pirates the ones that would never buy the game anyways? Help me through this paradox…

• Bilbo says:

I’ll help you: Cyber-warrior types spout bollocks at every given opportunity.

• Kestrelio says:

Because of countless bad experiences, I will never buy a game I haven’t played yet. No demo = more piracy is EXACTLY right.

And how many awesome games made for terrible PC ports that weren’t worth the money anyway? GTA IV I’m looking at you…

• Bilbo says:

But… you’re pirating it to see if you want to buy it? So it’s fine?

I’m sure if people who pirate their game to see if they want it subsequently buy it, the devs won’t give a *shit*.

• Rii says:

“As if Piracy needed an excuse. Getoutahere!”

No more than breathing or any other harmless activity needs an excuse, no.

• Berzee says:

No more than breathing or any other harmless activity needs an excuse, no.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

• Rii says:

“Oh yeah, totally. If you guys say it enough times, you’ll start believing in it.”

It evidently worked on you.

• Kestrelio says:

Actually, I buy the things I like. But I refuse to take a $50 blind leap of faith on a game, no matter how glowing its reviews are. I even donate to developers of free games that are of excellent quality (ie Dwarf Fortress).

Don’t assume that pirates are freeloaders. Many want to buy things of value, but don’t want to dish out $50 for a game there’s no demo for, then feel extremely disappointed at the result.

Hell, even games that had demos turned out to be massive disappointments. Spore’s preview utilities were really encouraging, and after I bought that game I felt totally ripped off by its total lack of depth once you get past the initial stages.

A close friend of mine pirates an INSANE amount of games and movies, but as a result actually buys more movies and games than anyone I know. Does this mean pirates buy movies and games? Absolutely not. But it also means you shouldn’t make blanket statements about how pirates are universally bad.

• Kaira- says:

Don’t assume that pirates are freeloaders

Well, pirates do hate leechers…

• gganate says:

The problem with “I’m not spending 50 bucks without trying it first” is that this defense doesn’t translate into other areas of life. You can’t walk into a music shop and grab a 900 dollar stratocaster and take it home without paying. See how far you get with the cops by telling them “I wanted to try it before I buy.”

heretic says:

I’m pretty sure music shops let you try guitars before you buy them, because they know people are more likely to buy them if they try them.

And why should it translate into other areas of life? Are you the type that needs a car analogy for anything?

u mad?? ._.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

It doesn’t even transate into games well. Consider how many games don’t actually have demos and are still sold like water in the desert because “I want!” is the common answer on review sites, or the fact these are some of the same people that won’t hesitate to do pre-orders of games.

This isn’t new. Just another bait for that daily angst fix (and apparently, for some, another thin justification for piracy). I’d rather hear it that the game couldn’t prove itself yet and a demo would help make the decision, but apparently these folks just can’t hide their lack of common sense anymore.

• Kaira- says:

@heretic

I think that although most of the time the comparison information-physical objects(!) isn’t valid, when it comes to money and “test before buy”-mentality, it is fairly reasonable to make comparisons. Music stores do let you test the guitars and amps and whatnot before you buy (unless you play Smoke On The Water), it is next to impossible to get the excact same lineup as what you have at home to test the sound. Huh, this is really hard.

How about comparison to movies – you usually have a trailer (like most video games do), reviews (like most video games) and sometimes video games have a demo (something I might compare to those “watch first 20 minutes of the movie for free!”-thingies).

• pkt-zer0 says:

“If you’re going to pirate something, just admit that you like stealing things. There’s no moral justification.”

I’ll just leave this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87pevh2Q0hg#t=3m30s

• Zenicetus says:

“Actually, I buy the things I like. But I refuse to take a $50 blind leap of faith on a game, no matter how glowing its reviews are.”

Which reviews? Commercial sites or end-users? I don’t form a purchase decision based on what the usual commercial review sites say, but I can usually get a good handle on whether I’ll like a game by reading what the early-adopter players write, on various forums.

The trick is, you have to wait for that type of information. I think some game pirates are just making excuses for not having the patience to wait for user reviews. It’s “gotta have it on Day One” syndrome.

heretic says:

@pkt-zer0

Hadn’t seen this before. Very interesting take on the subject.

Anyway I think the problem with piracy is that it all gets lumped into one group. However kids downloading some of their games because they don’t have the cash is very different from organised pirate groups who sell the same products at very low prices. These groups are taking money away from the disposable income of the customer, whereas “copying” data doesn’t make any money change hands (generally), and that disposable income is used in one way or another on something else which in the end doesn’t affect the economy.

Of course, game developers would prefer that that disposable income goes in their pockets rather than in the hands of condom manufacturers. But then again teenage pregnancies cause all sorts of problems and strain the health system and I’ve totally gone on a tangent.

• Kestrelio says:

That’s silly. Tell that to the company that got my $50 in exchange for buggy, poorly supported, crappy software with no demo, so I can’t tell how often it’s going to crash or how lame it’s going to be once I buy it. Fable… I’m looking at you…

“I don’t form a purchase decision based on what the usual commercial review sites say, but I can usually get a good handle on whether I’ll like a game by reading what the early-adopter players write, on various forums.”

If I did that I’d have bought FFVII or any given Halo game. Or Gears of War (herp derp). Thank God I didn’t. Really I don’t trust anything unless I’ve tried the game myself, or it’s universally panned. Trusting glowing reviews is what got me wasting money on crap games like Oblivion and Fallout 3. New Vegas, I’m not falling for Bethesda’s tricks anymore!

“However kids downloading some of their games because they don’t have the cash is very different from organised pirate groups who sell the same products at very low prices.”

Agreed 100%.

• FD says:

@pkt-zer0
      The funny thing is the basic point Gabe Newell is making is one thats been around since the very early piracy issues and trumpeted by a number of surprising sources.

From 2002, the Microsoft darknet paper.

“In the presence of an infinitely efficient darknet which allows instantaneous transmission of objects to all interested users even sophisticated DRM systems are inherently ineffective”
      And
      “Proposals for systems involving mandatory watermark detection in rendering devices try to impact the effectiveness of the darknet directly by trying to detect and eliminate objects that originated in the darknet. In addition to severe commercial and social problems, these schemes suffer from several technical deficiencies, which, in the presence of an effective darknet, lead to their complete collapse. We conclude that such schemes are doomed to failure. ”
      And Finally
      “There is evidence that the darknet will continue to exist and provide low cost, highquality service to a large group of consumers. This means that in many markets, the darknet will be a competitor to legal commerce. From the point of view of economic theory, this has profound implications for business strategy: for example, increased security (e.g. stronger DRM systems) may act as a disincentive to legal commerce. Consider an MP3 file sold on a web site: this costs money, but the purchased object is as useful as a version acquired from the darknet. However, a securely DRM-wrapped song is strictly less attractive: although the industry is striving for flexible licensing rules, customers will be restricted in their actions if the system is to provide meaningful security. This means that a vendor will probably make more money by selling unprotected objects than protected objects.”

• DrGonzo says:

Its actually your (statutory?) Right to try a product before you buy it in the uk.

Also, if you have ever pirated a tv show or song, you can fuck right off!

• wazups2x says:

Yes, it does suck that there isn’t a demo but that doesn’t mean you deserve one. You’re not entitled to a demo. Stop trying to justify your piracy/ stealing.

I’m sick of all of these self entitled kids these days.

• Rii says:

The entitlement complex here is on the part of the developers/publishers who think they’re entitled to compensation for their labours and further entitled to infringe – via the shined truncheon of the law – on the liberty of others to disseminate the fruits of said labour.

Intellectual Property may not be the original con – that’s Property, period – but it’s certainly one of the most nonsensical notions to have gained traction in the last couple of centuries.

• Joe W-A says:

It doesn’t matter whether or not the justifications people give for piracy stand up to your particular moral code. It isn’t helpful to anyone, least of all developers, to think of pirates as morally bankrupt thieving dudes.
      If you ask people who pirate games why they do it, they usually have some way that they justify it, if only to themselves. Their excuse never makes it okay, but it’s still usually a legitimate criticism on its own. For instance, people pirate games because they don’t have demos. Sometimes they plan to use their pirated copy as a demo, and buy the game if they liked it, and sometimes not. You can complain all you like that they should have just taken the risk and bought it without knowing, buyer beware, but that’s ignoring the fact that these days, the buyer need not beware. It’s basically ignoring the internet. Drawing comparisons to walking into a store and stealing shit is pointless. Turns out, these days, you can steal shit and be secure in the knowledge that you’re never going to get caught – so that’s what people are going to do, if that’s what’s easier for them.
      The only sensible approach to piracy is to take morality completely out of the equation. Consider your typical customer to be a guy who doesn’t care either way about supporting developers. He just wants his game. He can go torrent it, or he can buy it from you. He’ll do whatever is more convenient. Too often with games, that’s the pirated copy.

10. Bilbo says:

Bit bored of reading articles like this and their associated comments. It isn’t news, it’s just moaning.

• rocketman71 says:

Don’t read them then. Doh.

• Hunam says:

Moaning is a national pastime in Britain. I’d be more surprised if we didn’t see this sort of thing. Plus developers and publisher should be called out on all the fucking shit they spout.

• Gonefornow says:

I’m willing to bet that moaning is a well received pastime in countless other countries as well.
      So.., yes, this kind of news is desired rigorously.

• Urael says:

No, what you’re doing is just moaning. The article is news because it tells us something interesting that we didn’t previously know.

• Bilbo says:

Jesus.

When RPS publishes an article bemoaning an upcoming release’s lack of a demo, and you all chorus together about how you won’t be buying/will pirate the game and hate/wish dead the developers, all I really think is Same Shit, Different Day. It isn’t newsworthy, it isn’t interesting. It’s like if the BBC News published articles reporting every time the number 34 bus was late, and every time they did a legion of commenters came out to complain about how they’re going to start using their cars instead. It’s totally fucking tedious. Thankyou and goodnight.

• Doesntmeananything says:

What is interesting about this exact piece of news is that it was Volition, a company that had ostensibly sworn allegiance to PC, who ignored our beloved platform. In this regard it was quite a worthwhile chunk of read.

And do these kinds of articles appear on RPS often? The last one I remember was about Bulletstorm… and that’s it?

• Kefren says:

Not every blog post is news. Some are news, some are comment, some are retrospectives, some are reviews etc. This is valid comment and many of us are glad to hear people who are passionate about PC games pointing out examples of crap.

(That may not be the best-worded comment ever. I apologise to all and sundry.)

• Urael says:

“And by the way, Urael, when I start representing my moaning as news you can moan about it too. Jesus.”

…..what? Not sure I follow your banter, old bean, but thanks for the compliment; I’m no messiah but it’s still nice of you to say.

11. KauhuK says:

They boast that the pc-version is great but do not give pc-gamers a demo of it. So your only chance is to buy it to try it (or torrent it but thats not an option, right?) Next game for me to include aliens will be Mass Effect 3. Summer will be more fantasy oriented (Witcher 2, Dungeon Siege 3 and some M&B with F&S)

12. Icarus says:

Yeah, you know what, I’m not surprised at all, and I just can’t summon up the energy to even care about this game in any way, shape or form.

13. Teddy Leach says:

Fuck it, I wasn’t going to buy it anyway.

14. Ertard says:

RFG was a shit port, and even more so was Saint’s Row 2. I know they say they’ve shaped up to a less terrible standard this time around, but I don’t trust them.

I loved RFG though, and I will get this. Eventually. I gotta say though, it’s very likely I’ll pirate it before I buy it, since I can’t trust them to do a good job. Shame really.

15. Kaira- says:

[insert here a typical rant how Windows != PC, and all things of that sort]

16. robitii says:

ignore the pc community? right back at ya :X

17. VelociraptorBill says:

Well, fuck this game then. Considering how terrible Saint’s Row 2 ran on my computer despite having a very high end rig I’m never buying one of Volition’s games again if I can’t try it first. No PC demos, Volition? Fine. No sales from me. Ever.

• KaL_YoshiKa says:

This is a rational man. Saint’s Row 2 had the worst PC port in the history of time. It would be insane not to test the game on your system before buying it. I know most gamers would do it with a demo but if the option isn’t there.

• Teddy Leach says:

Actually, Resident Evil 4 is the worst port of all time.

• Coins says:

I think GTA4 is a contender for that, as well.

• SirKicksalot says:

SR2 was ported by CD Projekt. Armageddon is made in-house.

• Dominic White says:

Teddy is right here. RE4 (the port was outsourced to Ubisoft, so don’t blame Capcom – all their ports are fantastic) somehow launched without a lighting engine. The game was all fullbright, all the time until a major patch was released.

What a screwup

• Insidious Rex says:

I think Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath also has a decent claim for this dubious honour

• somedude says:

Strangely enough, SR2 seemed to run just fine on my midrange system (the controls were another matter, but the game itself ran fairly smoothly). GTA4, on the other hand, was a gigantic mess…

• V. Profane says:

GTA IV ran well on my machine but SR2 was such an ugly mess I didn’t waste more than an hour on it.

18. Mario Figueiredo says:

Comments to this article confirm my lifelong suspicion:

If (!Demo)
    cout << "Doesn't decrease sales because people would't buy it anyways";
    Else {
    cout << "Doesn't increase sales because people don't make choices based on demos";
    IncreaseDevelopmentCosts(Demo);
    }

• Tei says:

*deleted*

• Mario Figueiredo says:

Inconvenient Truth, much?

Anyways, we need citations. Something along the lines of “How many people don’t buy games because they didn’t include a demo, and how representative these cretins are within the video game market”. To make it look more professional, replace “cretins” with something more suave.

heretic says:

Do you really write your if/else with capitals?

heretic says:

Good, I’d hate to work with you if you did. Well formatted and readable code gets me off :3

• Kaira- says:

What, does somebody really write if-else with capitals? Burn the heretics, I say!

heretic says:

Burn!

• vandinz says:

if (!pompous goon)
      cout << "I'll skip this thread and read something else";
      else {
      cout << "I think I'll try and be clever and make myself look a pompous goon";
      }

heretic says:

What’s with writing comments in code, and some sort of C++ bastardisation as well…

If you do at least be consistent with parenthesis.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

@vandinz, I see a bug in the works. Our do you really mean you are a pompous goon, because you did read this thread?

That’s the trouble with replying to threads you deem unworthy… so don’t.

heretic says:

I think he just copypasted your horrible code style, removed the capitals and put in his own text.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

But if you tried the code tag yourself, you’d realized that you don’t have any control over spaces on the left of text. They get trimmed by the parsing engine.

As for the horrible code styles, son you have no idea what you are talking about. Next time you want to talk about coding styles, think “consistency”. Not form. That’s what they should have thought you in school but somehow you were distracted sucking your own thumb.

• Berzee says:

Stupid Baby.

19. TheCheese33 says:

Just as well. I haven’t enjoyed a Volition game since Red Faction II.

20. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. says:

For those who care they did try to explain why there is no PC demo on their forums.

• somini says:

HA! No time to do a PC demo, but they have time to do it for consoles?
      Always the same excuse

• Urthman says:

Yikes. From that statement by the Volition employee:

If you could run Guerrilla (with the patches), you shouldn’t have an issue with RFA.

That’s a mighty big “if”! The patches helped, but they certainly didn’t fix all the issues.

21. Tei says:

The latest Red Faction was a bad port with things like not supporting the resolution of your monitor. And was distributed infected with the GFWL virus.

I expect Call of Duty of Nanites of Heroes.

22. Longrat says:

I’m not gonna buy this game anyway. It REEKS of console port (just RF:G did). This new trend of sucking up to PC gamers is starting to look like a double edged sword. If they don’t ACTUALLY do it, then it increases their sales without actually deserving those sales.

Now I just hope that all that stuff that DICE said about the PC getting a lot of love for BF3 isn’t a load of bollocks. Or else I’m going to be a very angry internet man.

• Jim Rossignol says:

RFG might not have had a great PC version, but it was still a pretty good game. I am less sure this will be.

• Felixader says:

I am more concerned with all the Shooter-Clichee-Checklist-Elements that are in the game now.
      The thing is: i wasn’t already not interested any more when they showed the Flood/InsectHorde/Jump-in-Your-Face Enemys as new and exciting.

• Steven Hutton says:

It’s not as quirky as guerilla but it’s more highly polished. Win some lose some I recon the meta-critic score will probably be a smidge higher for this.

Also, the magnet gun is tremendous fun.

oceanclub says:

This seems to be hubris on Volition’s part; considering what a lousy port RF:G was, I would have thought the onus was on them to prove that the sequel wasn’t a horrendous slide show with lousy controls.

P.

24. Urael says:

I hereby move to name this the “Doubling Down” phenomenon.

abhishek says:

Well I tried the demo on the 360 and it was actually pretty fun. They give you a lot of cool toys to play with… I mean, who doesn’t want to play with a gun that fires black holes? :P Who can say no to getting into a mech and absolutely annihilating enemies with unlimited rockets and machine fire, all the time watching the entire world crumbling around you?

I’m still not sold on the game, because the underground part looks like it could get monotonous, but as a mindless, 3rd person action demo it was fun to play.

26. DarkFenix says:

Oh well looks I’ll be downloading the ‘extended demo’ upon release. A shame, I liked RF:G even though it tried really hard to stop you having the fun it offered. A move like this makes me extremely suspicious, also disinclined to pay a company that has no respect for the PC platform.

27. JohnnyMaverik says:

Bah! >.<

this is all…

28. SuperNashwanPower says:

OK. What we need is EFFING XBOX 360 EMULATORS. Free ones, that our mighty PC’s can run whilst filing their nails. Then we can stick two fingers up and play these demos, and decide “wheat or chaff”. Yeah we would have to do it with a controller probably, but … but … ahhh

I dunno. I may not have thought this through. Cup of tea needed.

29. SuperNashwanPower says:

In other news, why is that guy in the picture wearing a gigantic, girlie bow on his head? Don’t tell me they are night vision goggles or manly welding specs. He bought that from TopShop.

Cross says:

I was honestly on edge with this one, but this failure on Volition’s part has finally convinced me the PC version will be as arse as Saints Row II was, and the game looks much more dumb and self-serious than even Guerilla was.
    This is what you did, Volition: You made sure i will never ever buy this game.

31. Xiyng says:

This is why, if I cared for this game, I’d simply download the torrent to try it out. I’m definitely not buying any game I’m not sure I like without trying it first unless it’s dirt cheap.

And publishers wonder why piracy is such an issue… They treat us like crap, we treat THEM like crap. True, they wouldn’t be able to fix it all even if they treated is better but the situation would probably still be better.

32. Steven Hutton says:

Trying to say something constructive.

I just downloaded and tried the 360 demo. It’s actually pretty good fun. I really felt the loss of the (relatively) open world shenanigans of Guerilla (it’s hard to destroy a 100ft tall tower from underground… or at least less fun). But the interior setting just makes it a different game, not necessarily a worse one.

The man-shoots are certainly more fun and satisfying than last time and the nano-forge is a nice touch. Letting me put stuff back together so I can smash it all over again. Muhahahaha.

The real stand out though is magnet gun. I’m going to be quite willing to shell out £35 just to play around with this some more. Basically the first shot of this gun tags an object or enemy. They second shot sends that object flying flying across the screen towards whatever you’re aiming at. Seeing an alien monster get side swiped by a couple of tons of rubble literally never gets old. Nor does sending an enemy pin wheeling through the air to slam into the ceiling. Or at one memorable point, using a large armoured enemy as re-usable ammunition to bludgeon his friends to death.

Fundamentally this game seems to be offering me exactly what I want from a Red Faction game. The opportunity to smash a variety of stuffs into a billion tiny pieces. It’s not a original or experimental as Guerilla (at least from what’s on show in the demo) but it does seem a lot more polished. Maybe the next Red Faction game will finally get all it’s ducks in a row and give us a combination of some uniqueness and fun.

33. dr.castle says:

This is a bad business decision, of course, but Volition isn’t obliged to try to sell us on their game if they don’t want to. This only really bothers me when, following bad sales, the publisher blames piracy (or the ‘death’ of PC gaming, or some other straw man) for poor retail performance. If you don’t release a demo of your PC game and it goes on to sell poorly, you have only yourself to blame.

• Steven Hutton says:

Many developers simply don’t think that it’s worth the effort in terms of increased sales to create a demo. Making demos takes alot of man hours from the project and there’s some evidence to suggest that despite the amount of whining creating a demo for your game doesn’t actually do that much to boost sales.

Now I happen to think it’s worth it just as a good will gesture but whatever I guess.

Also, some games just don’t need demos. I mean it’s reasonable to assume that someone can make an informed decision about whether or not to buy Portal 2 without a demo? Right? Between Portal 1 and universal critical acclaim I think we know enough about how that game will play.

This can probably be said for a lot of franchise games and sequels. Does Black Ops need a demo? No, it is exactly the same game as the last five games. Does Gears of War 2 need a demo? Not really, I think everyone knows what to expect from that game.

Did Bulletstorm need a demo? Yeah, they were trying a new gameplay idea and giving people a taste of that experience was a smart move.

• opel says:

They’ve already made the demo for two other platforms, and you can’t even download it on one of them (as I understand it). I’m pretty sure they could make a PC demo in short order, avoid bad PR, and more than likely boost sales.

But then again, on the other hand… well… uh… hm…

• MD says:

I still need demos, because the feel of a game is really important to me. By ‘feel’ I guess I mean the way it controls, and also things like FOV. In the case of Portal 2, I would love a demo — partly because I know I might not be able to enjoy the game if it feels wrong, and in this specific case there’s also a reasonable chance that it’ll make me motion-sick, but I won’t know for sure until I try it. The other thing is performance — more of an issue for those of us with aging or cheap PCs, but given the almost infinite configurations of hardware, drivers and various pieces of software, that’s another thing you can never be sure of in advance.

34. edit says:

I may be alone here, but it’s been years since I bothered to play a demo of anything. Youtube and fast internet connections have made it a snap to check out some gameplay of any game I’m unsure about. Once you’re a gamer for long enough it’s usually not hard to tell if a game is to your tastes or not. Limited time and gaming budget also means that if there’s a game I’m unsure of I can afford to simply not play it, focusing on something I know I want, and then pick it up in a steam sale somewhere down the line…

• Mario Figueiredo says:

You are not alone. I dropped demos around… dunno late 90s(?), when game coverage became so widepsread I could get all the information on a game without having to buy a magazine or ask friends who bought it.

But there’s one particular type of games where I do enjoy the possibility of playing a demo before buying; 4x strategy games. These are complex games and usually the ones I invest the most time in (with some titles having the potential to be played for a few good years). But the truth is that even here, I don’t care much about demos anymore. I didn’t, for instance, need a demo to buy Sins of a Solar Empire, or Galactic Civilizations (both which I play to this day). All I needed I got from media coverage, user feedback and friends.

• Berzee says:

I, on the other hand, spend about 50% of my game-playing time trying out new demos.

• rayne117 says:

I think the problem here is that Mario doesn’t like making decisions for himself.

35. wazups2x says:

I’m sick of all of these self entitled kids these days.

Edit: This was supposed to be a reply to mouton….

36. Sardaukar says:

So many people saying they pirate because they refuse to risk $50 on what could be buggy and unsupported and generally terrible, with no legal demo to evaluate this.

Err, I dunno guys, reviews? Forums? The entire games journalism industry? You’re on RPS and telling me with a straight face theft is the only way you can find this stuff out?

37. JackShandy says:

Indeed.
    A demo for consoles?
    Not a demo for me.
    Indeed.

38. Urael says:

[Delete function needed, please, RPS]

Joshua says:

Staring Eyes.

40. patricij says:

Oh for crying out loud, would you limit the piracy discussion a bit? It’s getting nowhere, I’ve been tired of this shit since mid-90. It reminds me of console dudes predicting every year the end of PC gaming like Jehovah witnesses…pah