Mod News: All the Questions

By Lewis Denby on May 4th, 2011 at 12:29 pm.

More sites should interview mod-makers, I feel. If one of this week’s picks is anything to go by, they can have some interesting things to say. Modding might not usually be quite as huge a process as making a full-on indie game, but as a modder you face your own unique problems, ones we don’t always get to hear about. Maybe we should take note of that at RPS. Either way, read on for this week’s roundup.

NEWS

Version 1.1 of Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas is on the way, and the development team has been going into what that entails. They’ve posted a full list of the planned changes over on ModDB for you to take a look at. Why not do that?

Meanwhile, lovely-looking Half-Life 2 mod Tales From The Galactopticon gets the interview treatment over at ModInformer, and a nice interview it is too. This line struck me, the developer talking about his attitude towards making an unusual mod for HL2: “When I’m working on stuff for the mod, I don’t think of it as a mod for Half-Life 2. I think of it as a chance to make my own game, full of my own ideas.”

Elsewhere, there are some new screenshots of Left 4 Dead mod Back To School doing the rounds. They’re quite impressively atmospheric, too. The team have also detailed some changes of plan, including a merging of the final two levels, and generally cutting back on some of their bigger ideas so as to release earlier. They’re a mod, after all. That’s always a good idea.

Then there’s Morrowind Rebirth, for which the developer has been detailing the forthcoming update. There’s a big list of changes that’ll be made over on ModDB. The next version will be 1.0, too, which has rolled around quickly. The comedy of reading lines from changelogs out of context goes on and on. My favourite from this one: “You will now be able to hit ghosts using Adamantium Weapons.”

Take that, ghosts!

But perhaps the biggest news this week is the announcement of Action Half-Life 2, version 22. An update might not usually be such big news, but it’s been two years since Action Half-Life 2 was released, and things have been fairly quiet ever since. The trailer is awesome, by the way. It is below.

RELEASES

Half-Life 2: Ep 2 mod Momentum isn’t especially close to being finished yet, but its developers have put out a short demo anyway, just to showcase the kind of play style we’ve to look forward to. I haven’t got round to trying this out yet, but might set it to download any time now. Have you played it? Any good?

UPDATES

Huge Oblivion mod Dibella’s Watch has hit the eighth version of its beta this week. Unfortunately, the developer wasn’t able to fit everything he wanted into this update, but there’s still plenty of new stuff to get to grips with. There’s a big list of it all over on ModDB, together with a few new screenshots, one of which I’ve included below because I like you just that much.

And there’s also an update for Mount & Blade: Warband mod Vigingr. It’s an incremental patch, and I’m not entirely sure what it adds or fixes, as I can’t find those details anywhere. If you want to take the plunge regardless, this is where you need to go.

‘Til next time, folks. Which will be in a fortnight, as I’m out of the country next week. Ta-ra!

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. pepper says:

I always was more of a The Specialists guy(sadly completely gone), but AH:S looks good.

• Bluepixie says:

Me too. The Matrix levels were just so much fun!

• Flaringo says:

The Specialists was amazing. Probably my favorite multiplayer game!

I was also amazing at it. I would slap the shit out of everyone with my incredible kung fu skills until some asshole with a glock 18 walked up and shot me. I would complain about that all day.

• Reverend Speed says:

The Specialists. Greatest carnage engine ever devised.

Stylish, bloody, tactical, stylish, exciting, forgiving, stylish, varied in mechanics and unpredictable in combat and stylish.

I wasn’t great at it, but I was ridiculously better at it than my friends. Leading to events like…

Run around corner! See friend aiming MP5 at my face! Roll to dodge bullets and close distance! Jump up to kick weapon out of his hands! Somersault past him, snatching MP5 out of air! Throw MP5 past now-startled friend’s head! Turn on pause-play! As friend slowly dashes to pick up MP5, wall-run up side of building! Friend manages to turn around, aim and – I am not in area any more, now I’m getting ready to properly fight a more skilled player…

…hear sound of friend swearing and throwing mouse from the other side of the room.

It really was my game.

AHL & AHL2 always seemed like ballroom dancing with your shoelaces tied together in comparison.

Action Quake 2, though, that was a game for men and women. As much as I love my console peeps, I couldn’t quite understand the attraction of Goldeneye after the mayhem that little mod unleashed.

• pepper says:

Lets do a The Specialists day for HL1 sometime. that would be fun.

And me, Golden Colts all the way.

2. DeepSleeper says:

Action Half-Life 2?
    Action Half-Life 2.
    ACTION HALF-LIFE 2!

Action Quake 2 was the one and only multiplayer mod I ever loved. I’ve skipped the others somehow, but I’m totally down for giving this new version a try.
    …uh, when it comes out.

3. thegooseking says:

I like the sound of Morrowind Rebirth. Does it require Bloodmoon? I tried to install a Morrowind mod the other week, but it required Tribunal and Bloodmoon, and I only have Tribunal. Is Bloodmoon worth getting? Does anyone know where I can pick it up on the cheap?

Or should I just get the GOTY on Steam? Technically, the Morrowind I have belongs to my brother, though he hasn’t asked for it back, and I doubt he will, really.

• Neurotic says:

I can’t comment on the mod’s requirements, but I can tell you that Bloodmoon was great. Smaller in scope and impact than Trib, but the core gimmick of building a frontier town as you go was awesome. Definitely get it!

4. Player1 says:

If you happen to have a copy of GTA San Andreas you should really check out MTA:SA. It’s a brilliant multiplayer mod. Also Action Half-Life 2 has been already pretty good up to now and what the devs have been working on seems to make it even better.

Also, there is a new mod in Enemy Territory, called True Combat Elite: CQB, which is pretty awesome and pushes the old engine far over its limits.

5. Shatners Bassoon says:

I implore you all to at least have a go at Vikingr, it really got me back into the Warband Multiplayer scene. It seems to fix half the problems I had with Native and the community is quite small at the moment but more than friendly and dedicated. At the moment it seems that on MODDB they only have the 0.73-0.80 patch, for a full 0.80 exe visit the Vikingr Forum here – http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,202.0.html.

As an extra word the main server is having difficulties and my clan server is also down at the moment as we upgrade to more slots. So keep a close eye if you do decide to play.

6. Davee says:

About the Mount & Blade: Warband mod (that is actually called “Vikingr”, not “Vigingr” ;) ) you can find the changelog (click the ‘Spoiler’ button) and more info right here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,164510.0.html

EDIT: Ah, thanks Shatners Basoon, didn’t see your comment :D
    And the main server (Einherjar) will be unavailable for about two hours from now. Please join us after that though!

7. Wilson says:

Vikingr is a very nice mod, I’ve played a few games online and had fun with it. I would recommend that people with Warband try it out, it’s a good time.

8. Leelad says:

*Obligatory Black Mesa post*

9. Wedge says:

Oh nice, that actually looks kind of like the original AHL, I even saw a couple of the old levels in there. The last version of it just looked like some daft half-ass thing with funny textures thrown onto some HL2 models.

Comment on this story