Red Faction Armageddon Looking Outdoorsy

By Quintin Smith on May 4th, 2011 at 2:03 pm.

Even robots are getting in on the act of not looking at explosions.

I appreciate we all have an important job to do in beeing gloomy that the PC won’t be getting a demo of 3rd-person destruct-‘em-up Red Faction Armageddon (I personally have sipped my way through a whole cup of tea while staring furiously out of the window), but look at this trailer! I’m sure most of you out there would agree that Armageddon appearing to trade the wide-open outdoor demolition of Guerrilla for some dingy caverns was a crying shame, right? Well, now it’s looking like a good chunk of the game will be outdoors after all! Come see.

Shame they don’t show any actual footage of the first two Red Factions in that intro, eh? Tell you what- I’ll provide.

EDIT: Speaking of Red Faction Guerrilla, this is just about worth watching. Thanks to RPS reader Craig Lager!

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Postal76 says:

“I personally have sipped my way through a whole cup of tea while staring furiously out of the window”

MOST EXCELLENT.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

There better have also been tutting and shaking of heads

2. rikdaly says:

did Guerilla ever get a PC demo? fairly sure I had to play the demo for that on 360?

must get round to finishing it one day too!

3. ZIGS says:

The first Red Faction remains one of my favorite FPS ever

4. KauhuK says:

OH c’mon creepers are green exploding monsters.

5. xcession says:

Jim Boone can open his mouth quite a long way.

cyberninja says:

I would prefer first person view – just helps make everything more intense.

• jon_hill987 says:

Agreed.

And for Deus Ex 3 as well.

• Kdansky says:

Very much so. It also helps with the aiming.

But was I the only one who found that trailer a bit too hard on the ADD side? They literally cut once per second or more often, with extra flashes and shakes on top of that. Is it really that hard to hold people’s attention for more than two seconds?

• BAReFOOt says:

And in the game! ;)

7. Bilbo says:

We don’t all have a part to play in bitching about the lack of a demo. You’ve got that pretty well covered.

8. Hunam says:

The demo wasn’t that good though. Mostly I just felt how all the stuff in the demo would be much more fun if it was first person. The camera is so close to Mason that it just feels like he’s in the way most of the time. When you get hold of a robot suit it feels a little more obvious why it’s in 3rd person but still, ramming through building would be way cooler in first person.

To be honest. RFG was one of the best open world games I’ve ever played, but RFA just seems like it’s treading water.

9. Davie says:

It looks pretty great, but I wish their designers would be a bit more imaginative with the aliens. We have so many spiky, toothy, glowing-eyes xenomorph/tyranid knockoffs as it is. Aliens can look like anything–why stick to the same tired tropes?

10. battles_atlas says:

Good god this looks a million times less appealing than Guerrilla

11. Palsang says:

Now I’m going to pretend Saint’s Row and Red Faction take place in the same universe.

12. magnus says:

So, are thinly veiled torrenting threats almost every time a game is released de rigueur now?

13. HybridHalo says:

First two Red Factions hm? I am pretty sure there were 2 FPS Red Factions on PS2 before the current gen RF:Guerilla.

Either way, enjoyed Guerilla’s explosive silliness and will give the new one a go once some reviews/a demo comes out.

Edit : First video confirms. I skipped the 2nd but heard it was alright!