Teasy Now: The Darkness II Coming To PC

By Jim Rossignol on May 5th, 2011 at 12:19 pm.

A teaser trailer for Digital Extremes’ sequel to Starbreeze’s 2007 comicbook man-murdering game The Darkness has been released. Although the brief trailer shows nothing of the game whatsoever, we do know that this iteration will be a little more comicbook in its presentation, apparently using techniques similar to those of Borderlands to create a lovely “graphic noir” world. That said, you can only just about make out the sort of outline effects they’re talking about in the (crappy) images that have been released so far. The game will also feature “quad-wielding”, which – although appropriate to the character – makes me do a bit of a facepalm with its FPS one-upmanship (“Well our guy has FOUR ARMS!”). Other information: it’s out in October.

Teaser below!

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dominic White says:

Everything I’ve read about this game sounds terrible. Starbreeze made the first game work because they were willing to take the (terrible) Top Cow comic series and rip it apart until they could turn it into something halfway decent and convincing.

This sounds like it’s going to be less subtle, more in tune with the (again, AWFUL) comics, and completely un-do the incredibly final and rather meaningful ending of the first game.

If this turns out decent, I’ll be very surprised.

• Kaira- says:

Are the comics really awful? What I’ve heard, they seem to be rather liked and nice, not best there is, but nice nontheless.

• zergrush says:

Used to love the comic when I was 10. There were lots of boobies and dismemberment, if I recall correctly.

• Mark says:

The game was kind of hit-and-miss. They had the comics as extras (I think as unlockables?) and I actually preferred the Jackie from there rather than the one from the game. Kind of struck me as a loser with his dumb trench coat and monotone voice.

• Dominic White says:

Jackie was meant to be kind of a loser – he’s this awkward, emotionally distant mess of a guy that cares about his girlfriend and pretty much nothing else. He was a very flawed protagonist, and that’s what made him interesting.

• Mark says:

I think I must have a thing against emo super/antiheroes.

• Dominic White says:

He’s not emo, though. Dude barely knows how to emote in the slightest. He’s awkward at best in his interactions with his girlfriend, but he can’t actually string together a half-coherent sentence to express how he feels. He’s downright tragic.

The strongest showing of emotion he gives in the whole game is after she dies. Despite the Darkness trying everything it can to stop him, he silently just takes his gun and shoots himself.

2. deejayem says:

“Well our guy has FOUR ARMS!”

At least we’re forewarned.

3. Eclipse says:

good, now what about The Darkness 1?

• JohnnyMaverik says:

Hmm, sadly I doubt we’ll see it, possible but highly unlikely.

Not sure if I want to play the sequel to a game I haven’t played, maybe one of my console owning heathen friends will let me play through it.

4. Teddy Leach says:

The first one was rocking great fun. I’m looking forward to this one.

5. BreadBitten says:

“Although the brief trailer shows nothing of the game whatsoever, we do know that this iteration will be a little more comicbook in its presentation, apparently using techniques similar to those of Borderlands to create a lovely “graphic noir” world.”

We now also know that Jackie will be voiced by, his omniscient lordship, Nolan North this time around. Yes, that’s a big deal. No, your negative opinions on him don’t count.

6. zergrush says:

It’s a shame Starbreeze isn’t making that one too. If they did I would consider getting it.

7. Pinkables says:

All i care about is whether Mike Patton will be in this one.
    Yes, I am a sad fan boy. This is the internet.

8. Ertard says:

Has Digital Extremes even made anything good since they were somehow involved in UT like ten years ago?

• EgoCheck616 says:

To be fair the team has grown by a large scale since the days of Bioshock 2 MP, so the amount of work that can be put into a game has also grown with it.

I know this industry loves to be cynical but I am going to hold off on my opinion until I see some in-game action.

9. Sunjammer says:

The first one was stunning, i thought. They did an incredible job of making me understand an emotional attachment between player characters, and making that understanding drive the game. The ending was heartbreaking.

I feel the same things about this game that i felt about Bioshock 2. I’m sure it’ll be competent, but I don’t understand why it has to exist.

10. hamster says:

Four frickin’ arms? I’ve only got left click and right click on my mouse. And only one aiming reticule! What are the other arms mapped to? Left-shift and ‘E’ ?
    …or could it be left click fires ‘em all? Imagine if you could wield a chaingun in one hand, a chaingun in the other, another chaingun in the 3rd and a bigger chaingun in the fourth. The sheer amount of decals & spark reflections on screen would CTD Deep Blue.

edit: let me rephrase. The sheer amount of decals & spark shadows on screen would – wait for it, wait for it, wait for it; – blue screen Deep Blue. Pun fully intended.

edit2: wait is that really even a pun?

11. Heliocentric says:

Guys, what’s your favourite sequel released on pc, but not the title before it.

mercenaries 2, saints row 2 and bad company 2 are highlights for me… actually burnout paradise beats them all but it doesn’t have a number which is disappointing.

12. pilouuuu says:

I’ll probably play it even if it’s not that good, simply because it features Patton!

13. Dreamhacker says:

Wait, what? Digital Extremes? What happened to Starbreeze? The difference between the two studios is unfathomable! Think about it:

Starbreeze, known for: “The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay”, aka the ONLY successful and critically acclaimed film-based game in the history of mankind.

Digital Extremes, known for: Pariah, one of the greatest financial and critical catastrophes of 2005 and Warpath, one of the greatest financial and critical catastrophes of 2006. Winners of the “Most Generic Low Budget Shooter Of The Year” 2005 and 2006. Also known for the PS3 port of Bioshock, the multiplayer part of Bioshock 2 and for co-developing the nerd-hate award winning Homefront.

So, yeah…

14. DCCTV says:

This isn’t PR at all, though. It’s a leaked communication with “the money people”. I’m surprised that anyone expected what “the money people” want to hear to be anything other than talking about what kinds of markets the thing could address, really.