That’s Enough Brink Videos For Now!

By Jim Rossignol on May 5th, 2011 at 8:28 am.

TF2 has changed gas masks forever, for me.
Two more Brink videos have arisen from the crackling fronds of the interweb, detailing the classes and the HUD of this objective-based future-combat extravaganza. I’ve posted them below. Of the two, I would say the Classes one is worth watching, because it shows the most important mechanics, like how you can change classes in game (without dying) and how many of the objectives depends on the abilities of specific classes to be completed.

Anyway, that’s enough videos for now. Let’s get to the game, please. Thanks, Slow March Of Time!

, , .

1. notjasonlee says:

im gonna play this game on the inner net

2. abhishek says:

Pre-ordered the game when it was 25% off on D2D, was having some second thoughts about it but these videos have calmed the nerves a bit. I still feel that Brink will not find the audience it deserves but hopefully it’s a fun game while it lasts.

• frenz0rz says:

“I still feel that Brink will not find the audience it deserves but hopefully it’s a fun game while it lasts.”

Odd, thats exactly how I felt with Quake Wars, their last game. It was vastly underappreciated and immensely fun until a few years later when the community inevitably moved on to newer and shinier games.

3. Taverius says:

I want more videos. I don’t care what they’re about, but I could listen to voiceover lass talk forever … I wonder if she’s looking for a slave?

4. OrgunDonor says:

Cant wait to get my hands on this game, been looking forward to this game for far to long now.

5. MuscleHorse says:

One has to wonder why they choose to have these videos from the Xbox version, the view movement really bugs me. The graphics would be better on the PC too, shurely?

Roll on next week!

• Koozer says:

It’s because most people will be playing on a console, and if a console gamer gazes upon mouselook movement they become violently disoriented and confused, more often than not collapsing in a dazed pile of their own stomach contents. Fact.

heretic says:

Don’t the gun graphics look a bit funny? Like blocky or something, especially that handgun 12 seconds into the second video.

• Rii says:

I find the entire graphical presentation vaguely and inexplicably off-putting. But then I was never much of a fan of either Id Tech 4 or UE3.

heretic says:

Hmm… it kinda looks like CS:Source actually. Maybe it’s something to do with the shaders, CSS does look a bit “toy” looking I find. So does this game, though maybe it’s the effect they were trying to achieve.

I’m just surprised because all the screenshots from the character customisation and gun upgrading screens look great, but these gameplay vids just seem off.

• Orvidos says:

Do keep in mind all of the preview videos have been on the XBox so far. Though to be honest I don’t know how much of an effect that’ll have on it, but I’d imagine some.

• GamerOfFreedom says:

The 6 vids so far of the SMART series are all PC footage

7. Lobotomist says:

I am bit suspicious about animation quality. I will probably buy it. But would like some kind of demo

8. Kerbobotat says:

I might be breaking some sort of unspoken silence here, but isn’t this just a shinier Team Fortress 2? I mean, the classes are pretty much the same, the major differences are the ability to change in-game, and no turrets.

• Lobotomist says:

Well technically yes.

I would call it TF2 but with direct damage weapons.

And after all. All kudos to TF2 , but its time for successor.

davidgilbert says:

I was thinking that its more of an updated version of quake wars, which had objectives different classes could do, medics that revived in different ways etc, but that could be me being cynical.

• herme. says:

Splash Damage did Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, building on Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which came in 2003.
      The game haves the same classes names and everything, this is nothing new. They’ve been doing the same game for almost 10 years.

• Mr Rud says:

BREAKING NEWS !

Not every class based game is a direct rip off of TF2, you know …

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Kerbobotat: Those aren’t differences. In TF2 you can change class in-game by entering any spawnroom or resupply room, quite like going to the command post in Brink/W:ET. Also, Brink does have deployable turrets, previous videos have shown them.

• Aluschaaf says:

It’s actually more an Enemy Territoy relaunch with shinier graphics but nothing new except for vaulting, it seems.

• Noxdomimi says:

I’d say the big differences are the parkour, you can choose how much health you have no matter the class and you could be a medic with a sniper rifle (no good reason to just saying) choosing which gun you have can make it fun.

9. Corrupt_Tiki says:

TF2 Right thur!

10. Glow says:

I just see this game flopping badly…

11. Glow says:

In fact, is anyone else fed up with the way videos have replaced demos? I would have pre-ordered bulletstorm 3 months in advance if I’d played the demo (which is phenomenolably awesome) before the game came out. Instead I am now refusing to pay full price for it because its been out longer than a month (yes that is my policy) and will have to wait for the next Steam xmas sale before I can buy it for a fair price (less than £15 since you asked…..yes after a month a game depreciates in value by 50% according to my mind…….and that’s because I need the £30 for the next big thing…which likely won’t have a demo before release … Crysis 2 did and I bought Crysis 2 for full price!)

• Isheh says:

I’m not sure about the whole demo/video thing, Brink seems to be a fps who wants to be a mmo and its hard to make a demo that would be anything other than a dumbed down single-player game and i’m guess it would be borderlands 2.0.

Bulletstorm was good but i agree it wasn’t worth what they asked for it

• MuscleHorse says:

Glow, Steam is currently having an EA sale, you’ll probably be able to pick the game up cheap this week. That’s what I’m hoping for anyway.

• TheDreamlord says:

Amazon UK is selling it for just under £14 right now…..

12. Frosty says:

I can forgive the use of Xbox 360 gameplay for the videos, I can forgive the simply humongous amount of PR they’re doing at the moment. Cause I want this to sell well. It must sell well.

I love you Splash Damage, please don’t die on me.

13. syntax says:

The animations feel really _off_, especially just after watching some BF3 gameplay. Especially the throwing animation, there is no weight to it.

• Misnomer says:

I thought the same as you syntax. Then I picked up something with my left hand and threw it (me being right hand dominant). It flew kinda like that. It all makes sense if you are not going to drop your gun just to throw a grenade.

At least that is how I am going to justify it.

14. Auzy says:

…So there are several objectives on one map? How big are these maps? I feel like it could spread out the fight too thin, especially with only 16 ppl per a server. Could make for a boring game imo.

15. Thunderkor says:

I think this looks like a heckuva lot of fun, but my inner cheapskate is refusing to let me buy it at launch. Picked up Section 8: Prejudice and hope to get a few months out of that one instead.

16. Spectre-7 says:

The sixth and final Get SMART video was released this morning, and it’s sort of a grab bag detailing the different sorts of things you’ll run across on the battlefield, including control posts, turrets, mines, and disguised operatives.

Here’s the video on Youtube.

17. mkultra says:

This is a total TF2 ripoff. This new company Splash or whatever needs to realize people were doing this class-based stuff like ten years ago – TF Classic, RTCW etc.
    Plus the game isn’t even realistic and I won’t be buying it because the way characters throw grenades looks weird.

• mr_notorious says:

You’re an idiot. Splash Damage made maps for RTCW and later made Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Dumb ass…

• Tin_man_Tex says:

I suspect you’ve smashed yourself against internet cloaked satire.

18. 3Suns says:

Brink is a class-based FPS, and that is about where the similarities with it and TF2 end.

Bots are available from the start, or as drop-in, drop-out extras (whereas bots in TF2 on PC are only for solo offline practice afaik). If you would prefer to play alone, the game was built for that as much as it was for playing with others.

For better or for worse, TF2 (I’ve played both PC and 360) has “blinders” on the classes. Each class is very ability specific, and even with the PC updates, still very narrow in function. Brink has 3 body types (heavy, medium, light) and only 4 classes which allow each players to do more in any given class than can be done in any class on TF2.

Unlike TF2, for each “mission” there are many objectives, some of which have to be done in sequence, others which don’t. TF2 is somewhat of a pure experience – very linear and easy to understand. Brink will be considerably more complex.

Also, there will be a fully fleshed out story developing the main characters in the game. There will be discoverables including “audio tapes” and “newspapers”.

Splash Damage has a tag line “Blurring the lines” between SP and MP. I think that is possibly overstating it. To call it “Contextualized Multiplayer” (coining that phrase) would not be an exaggeration, however.

Yes, the parkour movement is one of their innovations and I think it will be special.