Deus Ex 3 Will Support 3D, DX11, Acronyms

By Quintin Smith on May 6th, 2011 at 10:26 am.

Enemies will even try and sneak up on you via the gaps between screens!

PC Gamer have the latest on all the different technical set-ups that Deus Ex: Human Revolution will support. First up, it’ll support DirectX 11, which is great! It’ll also support 3D, which is great if you don’t have astigmatism and don’t mind playing your video games looking like a D-list celebrity with a hangover. Finally, it’ll support AMD Eyefinity, which you can see above, but don’t be fooled! AMD Eyefinity doesn’t just stop at three monitors- it actually supports up to six monitors, which is perfect for me, as I was wondering what to do with my five spare monitors and my five-foot long desk.

Click on through the jump to read what Jurjen Katsman, founder and president of Nixxes (the Dutch studio doing the PC version of DX:HR) told PC Gamer about DirectX 11 support. It will amaze you!

Alright, so it probably won’t amaze you.

“We do use tessellation; this was one of the first features we started making use of with DX11. We mainly used it to improve character silhouettes, but also used it for some other objects in the world.

“In Deus Ex: Human Revolution you see characters up close a lot as you interact with them, like in dialogues. Using tessellation to improve their look really helps make the world and the characters more believable, which is important in a story-heavy game like Deus Ex: Human Revolution.”

That wasn’t really worth it, was it? I’m sorry. What a shame.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. MuscleHorse says:

Please, please, please stop perpetuating ‘what a shame’. I want to tear off your hands.

2. ananachaphobiac says:

R.I.P. Bioware…and other RPS catchphrases.

3. Terry Wogan says:

Abbreviations. Initialisms.
    *runs*

4. Mooglepies says:

As a resident grammar Nazi, I’d just like to point out that those are initialisms and not acronyms. No, I have nothing positive to contribute, I just want to be a git like that. I am somewhat excited by this though, as someone who never really clicked with DE1.

5. Inigo says:

I thought it would be more newsworthy if it didn’t support DX 11.

6. tomnullpointer says:

EYEFINITY!!

WARFACE!!

7. subedii says:

I never really understood all the angst surrounding DX11. Heck, going by the Steam stats, only something like 5% of people actually have DX11 capability.

I seriously doubt that everyone that kept complaining about it even HAS the ability to use it.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

You’d need to be pretty stupid/rich to buy a DX11 Graphics card if you don’t have any games that support DX11, software drives hardware ;)

• subedii says:

I guess so. But then I’ve barely seen anything that makes DX10 look impressive to date. Crysis and WiC maybe, not much else.

I doubt that the added in DX11 support here will actually amount to much either.

• Alexander Norris says:

The Sombrero Kid: um, no. Pretty much any mid- to upper-mid range graphics card support DX11 these days; anyone buying a new GPU for the purpose of playing games is going to end up with a DX11-capable card (and pretty much no games that use DX11, but oh, well).

• stahlwerk says:

I bought a Radeon 5770 HD almost two years ago, for 170-ish euros, which was ATI’s new lower-mid-range at that time. I’d guess you would really have to look for a card that doesnt support dx11 nowadays.

• Ricc says:

Exactly. You’d be stupid to not buy a DX11 card right now, because that’s just all you can get since at least a year. So, why not support DX11 in your game? Inevitably the userbase will catch up.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

I meant out of the blue, not in your general upgrading routine.

It’s worth pointing out that the difference between DX9 & DX10 was about making things easier to do, it didn’t really introduce any new features, the tessellation feature of DX11 will be responsible for quite a big leap in graphical fidelity when it’s implemented properly.

this video demonstrates it well

• Boozebeard says:

Most DX updates include increased performance so that’s always nice.

8. The Sombrero Kid says:

I’m fairly confident this game will be in the good to great range.

9. Mario Figueiredo says:

Finally, someone making proper use of DX11, without that meaning introducing it because of clueless fans who think DX11 makes games look better without actually using any of its features.

10. hadrianw says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyefinity#Multi-display_technologies – new technology for something that OS should take care of. Yay, multi-head is called eyefinity these days.
    I now, nobody cares, but it bugs me.
    Anyways, it reminds me of this – http://www.plastk.net/2009/01/24-monitor-quake_22.html (it was made around 2006 even though reposted on later date).

11. Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

Eyefinity is nice, but those of us that game with 3 widescreen monitors using Nvidia (is the way it’s supposed to be played, apparently) will need reassurance, will it natively support nView?

12. tomeoftom says:

Meanwhile, almost 5000 people will die of AIDS by the end of today, and about 11000 young children will die of hunger/malnutrition/unclean water.

13. fiddlesticks says:

This game — the hype is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.

14. cliffski says:

I don’t think characters in games are unbelievable because of a lack of directx11 tesselation technology. It’s because they say this:

“I am a sad puppy because I am the true heir to the throne of this kingdom. That is why I stand here all day never moving. Go and kill 10 spiders for me, and I shall hand you this bag of gold”

I think more time spent on dialogue would beat tesselating peoples nostrils. But I’m weird like that.

• oceanclub says:

“UNREAL ENGINE 2012: FEATURING DIALOGUE TESSELATION”

P.

• jon_hill987 says:

The rats! The rats in my basement! You seem to be busy saving the world and all, but PLEASE KILL THE RATS IN MY BASEMENT! They’re huge! And evil.

• TheApologist says:

Seriously though, if I had giant rats in my basement and I didn’t fancy getting tetanus or whatever it is you get from rat bites, and some heroes for hire popped in unannounced, and they needed the EXP and some cash for better gear, I’d totally hire them.
      But I don’t have a basement.
      PS I agree.

• thegooseking says:

No, you’re right.

I don’t mean, “I agree with your opinion”. You are factually correct.

Our brains are hard-wired to understand and respond to very crude representations of people. It’s nice that it’ll look prettier, but visual fidelity is less of a concern for believability at this point (unless you conflate ‘believability’ and ‘realism’, but then you’d be wrong).

Our brains are not so good at finding bad writing and idiotic AI to be believable, (which is a tautology, because that’s why they’re bad and idiotic, but never mind). DX11 can’t do much about that, though.

• HermitUK says:

“Hello, person I’ve never met! I have something extremely important I need taking care of, and since I know nothing about you I’m convinced you’re the right passing stranger for this job.”

• Dozer says:

I think there’s scope for the more free-form games (Morrowind etc) to have a greater emphasis on getting your character accredited by the authorities and professional organisations. Like, registering with the Fighters Guild then allows you to escort trade caravans because the merchants know if you decide to rob them, the Guild knows where you live and can go and beat you up.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I have plucked my eyebrows, trimmed my pubic hair, whitened my teeth, tesselated by nostrils and I smell like butterflyfarts. I am ready for any social occasion and/or emergency.

15. DeepSleeper says:

I’m looking forward to the flood of games based on hyperbolic geometry that this kind of tessellation-focused graphics engine will undoubtedly unleash.

16. thegooseking says:

I have a five foot long desk here. I’d have trouble fitting six monitors on it.

17. John Connor says:

More importantly, have they made those “special moves” skippable or performable from first person? I don’t want to be dragged into a two hour cutscene every time I kill a bitch.

18. thebluemonkey81 says:

If you’re hating 3D as much as me
    I’m assuming that there’s a “turn it off” option but I do worry that games will become 3D only sooner or later.

edit;
    Oh and on top of that, 3D just seems like a step backwards graphics wise as it makes everything look “fuzzy” and 90′s “home and away”

• The Sombrero Kid says:

or alternatively replace one of the lenses from one of the countless pairs of realD glasses you’ve got kicking around with the opposite lens from another pair.

• thegooseking says:

I don’t think 3D only will ever happen; I think we’ll graduate from 2D displays directly to holographic projection.

Holographic projection is still a ways off for proper gaming application, but it can already do fairly interesting things. I couldn’t say how long it would take to be ready for games, though. But in any case, the principle of 3D has been around for decades without really gaining any more than a fad market each time it comes around.

• stahlwerk says:

holographic projection? you mean like r2d2? that won’t happen until we find a way to diffract and scatter light spontaneously and at will at randomly chosen points in the air.
      Holographic displays may come in the next 10-20 years, but it will take them even longer until they reach the fidelity of shutter and polarization based methods (spatial fidelity notwithstanding).

• Dawngreeter says:

You’re all on the wrong track. Once we figure out wetware data storage we’ll just use that to have interactive memories. Eyesight is a flawed mechanism.

• Jason Moyer says:

So basically a modern Sega Time Traveller cabinet. And jesus, that game is 20 years old now.

19. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

If the gaps between the screens irritate you, try to imagine you are piloting a mech.

20. davidgilbert says:

Does anyone else think this could be the developer putting a very tasty sauce on would be a very dry piece of chicken? Surely gameplay close to the original is a more important concern than DX11 support. Personally I wouldn’t mind if it just had DX8 support if the game play was about the same as the original (in the open ended malarkey department)

• ResonanceCascade says:

I keep telling myself that this will just be a pretty Splinter Cell ripoff with a little bit of open-endedness and Deus Ex lore thrown on top. If I’m right, I’ll have gotten what I expected. If I’m wrong and it really is Deus Ex 2011, then I can only be very pleasantly surprised.

Either way, I’ve been around the hype wagon ten too many times to buy into this without playing it for myself, no matter what people are saying.

21. Pinky G says:

I just got to japan last night in my latest replay of deus ex with no kills. I love the music for the market, its my favourite part of the game probably.

• Zaboomafoozarg says:

Hong Kong market = just about the best level in any game, ever.

• Pinky G says:

Haha, 12 hours on the killswitch and counting, its a fun level. I noticed for the first time that a book refering to the helicopters says that they can be remotely scuttled if necessary, portending to later events which is pretty cool. I hadnt noticed that before.

I ‘killed’ Anna but in my opinion, whats wrong with placing a lam mine behind myself on the plane incase of a robotic ambush. How was I to know she was so careless.

The voice acting really hits its stride in japan, verging on racism.
      The news vendor says ‘I dont rike rittle boys.’ and ‘Many pubwication’. Is it comedy genious or not, I dont know.

• Nick says:

is it as racist as calling china japan?

• Pinky G says:

That was just a mistake. Im definately not rascist and I meant China.

22. Dawngreeter says:

No DX12?

Tessellation is fine, but I’d prefer my games with cross-tessellation, or at least retessellation. Regular tessellating just doesn’t cut it for me anymore.

23. KauhuK says:

I dont understand this 3D boom because 2D>3D. They’ll never take away my moe, NEVER.

24. TheLastBaron says:

I have astigmatism in one eye, so sometimes 3D works and sometimes is doesn’t. By which I mean the 3d effect is switching from looking 3d to looking like double vision.

25. Dave L. says:

I genuinely love 3D for a lot of games (Mirror’s Edge and Dead Space, in particular), but I imagine 3D combined with the jumps into third person and back might get extremely disorienting. At least they’re using AMD’s HD3D instead of nVidia 3D Vision, so it’ll work with my 3D set-up, and presumably without me having to run some sort of third party stereoscopic driver.

26. eclipse mattaru says:

I’m kind of perplexed at them paying this much attention to all that cybernetic nuclear tesselation FROM THE FUTURE! thing, and yet this is what I read at PCGamer’s hands-on: “Mouse movement feels a little off right now: the horizontal sensitivity is way higher than the vertical sensitivity, and there isn’t an option to adjust them individually.”

I would have thought mouse controls were the first thing you’d get right, but what do I know. I just noticed I wrote “tessellation” with only one “l”.

Comment on this story